KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - piracy Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: piracy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:46 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Just been reading some of your old posts about playing customers own discs.

Surely if they have their own disc it is most likely to be a copy. So if as you all seem to be against pirating, you should refuse to play them.

I can't play them as i work just with a laptop, but if i could i would. All you who are against pirating, if when you were first starting up. If someone had come up to you and offered you a hard drive with say 30000 tracks on it. would you have turned round to them and say, no i need to buy all my cds and be legit.

I dare say a few of you would want to be on the side of the law and buy all your discs, but i bet there is a few of you are sick that you had had the chance to take it up.

When i read the posts about piracy you allway seem to think that they don't have the right equipment or that it's all cheap, and that the guy hosting it hasn't got a clue.

If you walked into a venue with some of your friends and found out the dj was playing pirated stuff would you refuse to sing, i bet yor friend wouldnt give a toss as they just want to sing and don't care whethere he is legal or not. I spend all the winter in Tenerife and you can go into any bar and they all have there laptops. Do you think for one minute they have all the discs. I don't think so.

You can go to any holiday resort and they are all the same, so how would you all go on if you were on holiday, if you were true to your believes you wouldnt be singing anywhere.

Just my twopeneth

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: piracy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
DON'T FEED THE TROLL, Y'ALL!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:13 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Sorry I must feed him.

First of all if you are talking about Tenerife, Spain? I don't think many if any here will care their stuff is Pirated as they are not in direct conflict with the KJ trying to make a living here in the U.S.

Second If you could/would play customers burnt discs (and were here in the U.S.) and were caught doing so there could be a lawsuit in your future.

Dark side of the law. I don't think you will find anyone here!
There have been many here (including myself) that have been offered Illegal Hard Drives and have said NO WAY!

I couldn't/wouldn't support a venue that hires a KJ that is illegal, what my friends do, are what my friends do but I would educate them on the fact that they are supporting an Illegal Operation.

Gee I wish I could afford to take a Holiday!!

and by the way it's two penn'orth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
karaokeking1 @ Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 am wrote:
Just been reading some of your old posts about playing customers own discs.

Surely if they have their own disc it is most likely to be a copy. So if as you all seem to be against pirating, you should refuse to play them.

I get more original copies from customers than burns.

Quote:
I can't play them as i work just with a laptop, but if i could i would. All you who are against pirating, if when you were first starting up. If someone had come up to you and offered you a hard drive with say 30000 tracks on it. would you have turned round to them and say, no i need to buy all my cds and be legit.

I've had opportunities to purchase loaded hard drives and yes i've turned them down - only a stupid or very naive person would knowingly do so. I've also had other kj's want to swap libraries to copy, again have turned them down, I can see why they'd want what I have, but there is no way in hell i'd want them to have the same selection i've taken 20 years to build many of which are no longer available - so now the competition has exactly what I have. Again that would be just stupid.

Quote:
When i read the posts about piracy you allway seem to think that they don't have the right equipment or that it's all cheap, and that the guy hosting it hasn't got a clue.

Majority of the time this statement is true.

Quote:
You can go to any holiday resort and they are all the same, so how would you all go on if you were on holiday, if you were true to your believes you wouldnt be singing anywhere.

When I go on a holiday last thing I want to do typically is go to karaoke. I run a 7 night show. But if I were to go by slim chance, it better be a good show - in hosting, selection & sound quality.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
Lonman @ Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 am wrote:
When I go on a holiday last thing I want to do typically is go to karaoke.

When you can resist the urge as a KJ to sing, you will have learned.

Tell me Lon, do your regulars ever tell you, "YOU SHOULD SING MAN!" Mine do, it's like a crackhead telling a reformed crack addict, "CMON MAN, HIT THIS GLASS PIPE WITH ME"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh and as far as piracy...

I wish I could do some vigilante justice on them. I know I can't, but luckily I get off on using my imagination.

I would love to be riding the bomb right down on them and the venue that supports them. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!

[youtube]wcW_Ygs6hm0[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:29 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

toqer @ Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm wrote:
Lonman @ Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 am wrote:
When I go on a holiday last thing I want to do typically is go to karaoke.

When you can resist the urge as a KJ to sing, you will have learned.

Only time I will sing is opening song, maybe the occasional duet request. I will do a rare request but not if I have a large rotation.

Quote:
Tell me Lon, do your regulars ever tell you, "YOU SHOULD SING MAN!" Mine do, it's like a crackhead telling a reformed crack addict, "CMON MAN, HIT THIS GLASS PIPE WITH ME"
Yeah they wonder why I don't often times.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yeah you try to explain to them, "Hey, there's folks waiting to sing, it'd be awful for them to see me take a turn when they haven't gotten one yet"

meh..

I even shy away from duets now because of what I call "Crowd perception".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I'm with Lonman:

1. I get more customers handing me originals than burns

2. When I first started out, I was offered ready-to-go hard drives and binders full of originals to copy, I turned them all down because I wanted to start (and run) a legit business and that meant investing (paying for) legal copies of songs. The binder full of original discs was even loaned to me free of charge by a KJ friend.

3. When I go on vacation the last thing I want to do is sing karaoke. I would also educate my friends on the legality of some KJ's libraries and ask if they want to support thieves.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:15 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Thanks for your responce. I would have thought that all you KJ hosts started running karaoke, because you like singing.

I am 70 years old now and have ceased doing the karaoke scene now, but when i did do it i wanted to sing as well. I allways opened the show and allways finished it, with maybe once in the course of the night.It is true that the customers want to sing but surely i was allowed one song in the middle of the 3 hour show.

As i mentioned i am in Tenerife now till May. When i go out at night i want to sing all the time. There is no way i could go out wiyh my partner and just sit in a quite bar. There would have to be some entertainment on, one way ore another, but singing is my thing.

I frequent a bar with a keyboard player over here, now thats a challenge for all you karaoke singers, when you walk up to the piano man and ask him to sing a certain song and the first thing he says, if he knows the song is, what key do you sing it in.

If you don't know, and i would suggest not many would know there key. He would then ask you to sing a little bit of the song. Which offten isn't right when you start to sing. At least if there is any mistakes the customers know it's live.

One more thing i wonder how many of you karaoke singers will be singing karaoke at 70. Mind you it will probably not be around then. Is there anything that can replace it. I still get a buzz when i'm up singing and i know i can put a song or two over, as long as they have a key changer. I cant see anywher there is a spell scecker but i'm sure someone will tell me where i've gone wrong. Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:16 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
karaokeking1 @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:15 am wrote:
One more thing i wonder how many of you karaoke singers will be singing karaoke at 70. Mind you it will probably not be around then. Is there anything that can replace it.

Seventy years ago, you would have been singing in the parlor as someone accompanied the group on an instrument. Or maybe you were wealthy enough to afford a player piano, or perhaps even a barrel organ, which didn't need a skilled musician in the house for everyone to enjoy singing along.

Everyone sings along in most churches. You'll be singing to a song on the stereo in your car today, in the shower tomorrow, to your little children someday. There are live bands that play requested songs for people in the crowd to take the stage and sing to. There are apps that let you sing along on your mobile phone, or your tablet device.

As long as people love to sing, there'll be some form of what we now call karaoke.

Now, professionally-produced, high-quality instrumental karaoke tracks? Perhaps not if piracy doesn't take a downswing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
I have been offered hardrives over the years and have ALWAYS know the differance between doing business legal and not. I would never bought a hardrive. I will not play a customers disc unless it is an original since most of the people that bring them in tell me thay are copies of someone elses copy. I explain to them what the law is and they dont come back or they understand and sing out of my books. It amazes me how many people do not even know how bad piracy really is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:47 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
karaokeking1 @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:15 pm wrote:
I would have thought that all you KJ hosts started running karaoke, because you like singing.

No mate. Don't sing.
I love putting on a show.
The drama.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:18 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

karaokeking1 @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 am wrote:
Thanks for your responce. I would have thought that all you KJ hosts started running karaoke, because you like singing.

I started my show because of things I didn't like to see as a singer at other shows and the host singing was included in one of those reasons. Like Toqer said, it takes away a spot from one of the paying customers and that is not ok with me. I do not believe a host should sing at the show unless absolutely necessary or special occasion.