KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Soundchoice ~ San Bernardino sighting… Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Quote:
As I have stated in an earlier thread, there is a tax on music CDs designed to pay the MFgers for copies made by disk owners..

And if you look at that, it is for private, personal use, not professional. That is the difference.

Quote:
Any host that buys legal disks and runs a show, and then is told to pay up or be sued, that's crap..

No, JD. They are asked to produce their original discs. If they have them, nothing is done. If they don't have them then it's money or be sued. Show me anywhee where a host has produced their original discs and have been told to pay or be sued. Even though under the Act as is format shifting for PROFESSIONAL use is not allowed at this time either in the US or Canada.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
Paradigm Karaoke @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:00 am wrote:
only possibility other than pirate is he is using hoster and "loading those up" is how the owner sees it. hoster rips to a temp file so maybe thats it. (giving benefit of the doubt)

I read that as they are "loaded up" permanent onto his hardrive and the "regular" doesn't have to bring the disc back in the next time. That is piracy if he plays it just once for another unrelated singer.

There are several pi@#ts in my are that "claim" to do the same thing, but funny how their library seem to grow each week without having a single disc. Had a local bar owner ( that is all legal and pissed about the pirates) tell me she sent a friend into a local show with a song she downloaded and burned to a disc (as an experiment). He "offered" to load it to his hardrive so the next time "the friend" came in he would have the song for her to sing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:00 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
rumbolt @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:49 am wrote:
only possibility other than pirate is he is using hoster and "loading those up" is how the owner sees it. hoster rips to a temp file so maybe thats it. (giving benefit of the doubt)

I read that as they are "loaded up" permanent onto his hardrive and the "regular" doesn't have to bring the disc back in the next time. That is piracy if he plays it just once for another unrelated singer.

There are several pi@#ts in my are that "claim" to do the same thing, but funny how their library seem to grow each week without having a single disc. Had a local bar owner ( that is all legal and pissed about the pirates) tell me she sent a friend into a local show with a song she downloaded and burned to a disc (as an experiment). He "offered" to load it to his hardrive so the next time "the friend" came in he would have the song for her to sing.

I actually have an occasional singer who asked this of me and I've done it. Want to know why? The songs she gave me are legally hers! She OWNS the copyright on them (She wrote them!).
I keep them on my hard drive at her request and they are never played for anyone else. They also are NOT listed in my book.
This is the ONLY situation where I will do this for someone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:18 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
diafel @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:00 am wrote:

There are several pi@#ts in my are that "claim" to do the same thing, but funny how their library seem to grow each week without having a single disc. Had a local bar owner ( that is all legal and tinkled about the pirates) tell me she sent a friend into a local show with a song she downloaded and burned to a disc (as an experiment). He "offered" to load it to his hardrive so the next time "the friend" came in he would have the song for her to sing.

I actually have an occasional singer who asked this of me and I've done it. Want to know why? The songs she gave me are legally hers! She OWNS the copyright on them (She wrote them!).
Totally different scenerio.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
diafel @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:00 pm wrote:

There are several pi@#ts in my are that "claim" to do the same thing, but funny how their library seem to grow each week without having a single disc. Had a local bar owner ( that is all legal and tinkled about the pirates) tell me she sent a friend into a local show with a song she downloaded and burned to a disc (as an experiment). He "offered" to load it to his hardrive so the next time "the friend" came in he would have the song for her to sing.

I keep them on my hard drive at her request and they are never played for anyone else. They also are NOT listed in my book.
This is the ONLY situation where I will do this for someone.

If that is the case then that is between you and her and the exception to the rule.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
enzoab @ Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:27 pm wrote:

Are all of these hard drivers pirates? From what I’ve seen and based on my experience with technology I’d say yes.

Knowing this, should I (we) start turning these people in?

Yes, why would you not want to help eradicate a souce of "disease" that is helping to kill the industry. Some have posted on another forum that it's Sound Choice's actions that have venues dropping karaoke - but if it's working for them, why would they drop it? As you have stated here, it's more the crappy and amateurish hosts (mostly pirates) AND an over saturation of them that most likely has venues dropping karaoke.

You can report pirates here http://www.soundchoicestore.com/report- ... pg-61.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
enzoab @ Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:26 am wrote:
Recently a KJ was “busted” at a club called the Lamplighter restaurant:

Ye Old Lamplighter
255 E 40th St
San Bernardino, CA 92404-1349

http://www.myspace.com/thelamplighterrestaurant

This is what I was told; second hand, by a very popular and always out there singing singer.

Somebody came in to the Lamplighter (investigator or a web bust, they weren’t sure), the Sound Choice logo was seen and the KJ was informed (in what exact way they weren’t’ sure) that he would be sued if he didn’t pony up $7k. The owner was told that they would be sued as well.

The owner then told my buddy that the other 6 venues this KJ has gigs at were also going to get sued.

I’ll try to locate this KJ and get a more detailed first hand report.

I haven't read through the whole string. Do you have more detail on the KJ? My Investigative firm did get a report of someone saying they were from the "Karaoke Agency" that was openly saying they were busting people for Sound Choice and asked me if I knew anything about such a person. I did not.

We do our investigations inconspicuously and gather all our data "quietly" - it might actually be months before any action is taken as we investigate an area. So, to the best of our knowledge, the above KJ was not contacted in the fashion described by a SC representative.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:46 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
timberlea @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:37 am wrote:
Quote:
As I have stated in an earlier thread, there is a tax on music CDs designed to pay the MFgers for copies made by disk owners..

And if you look at that, it is for private, personal use, not professional. That is the difference.

Quote:
Any host that buys legal disks and runs a show, and then is told to pay up or be sued, that's crap..

No, JD. They are asked to produce their original discs. If they have them, nothing is done. If they don't have them then it's money or be sued. Show me anywhee where a host has produced their original discs and have been told to pay or be sued. Even though under the Act as is format shifting for PROFESSIONAL use is not allowed at this time either in the US or Canada.

So innocent until proven guilty never is considered? I still say it's extortion..

I understand in the UK, the loser pays court fees, and these bogus law suits are not so common..

And what ever happened to "Suitability of Purpose", as in selling CDs to a KJ and then suing him for playing them? (Even with format shifting..)

All of my KJ buddies have the disks sitting on the mixer table.. No worries for them, but at the same time, I've had KJs with missing binder full of disks when they turned around..

Mafia, say..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:43 pm 
Sound Choice @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 pm wrote:
enzoab @ Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:26 am wrote:
Recently a KJ was “busted” at a club called the Lamplighter restaurant:

Ye Old Lamplighter
255 E 40th St
San Bernardino, CA 92404-1349

http://www.myspace.com/thelamplighterrestaurant

This is what I was told; second hand, by a very popular and always out there singing singer.

Somebody came in to the Lamplighter (investigator or a web bust, they weren’t sure), the Sound Choice logo was seen and the KJ was informed (in what exact way they weren’t’ sure) that he would be sued if he didn’t pony up $7k. The owner was told that they would be sued as well.

The owner then told my buddy that the other 6 venues this KJ has gigs at were also going to get sued.

I’ll try to locate this KJ and get a more detailed first hand report.

I haven't read through the whole string. Do you have more detail on the KJ? My Investigative firm did get a report of someone saying they were from the "Karaoke Agency" that was openly saying they were busting people for Sound Choice and asked me if I knew anything about such a person. I did not.

We do our investigations inconspicuously and gather all our data "quietly" - it might actually be months before any action is taken as we investigate an area. So, to the best of our knowledge, the above KJ was not contacted in the fashion described by a SC representative.

Nothing more to report at this time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I know of two that were caught in the web that because they could prove 1:1 compliance that walked away without being charged anything. So those that format shifted their original discs have nothing to fear from Sound Choice or Chartbuster.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
jdmeister @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:46 pm wrote:
All of my KJ buddies have the disks sitting on the mixer table.. No worries for them, but at the same time, I've had KJs with missing binder full of disks when they turned around..

Wow! I would never keep my discs at a show for fear of getting them stolen. That is part of why I media-shifted all of them in the first place. I have every one of mine locked up tight in my office.

I'm sorry to hear about your buddies missing binder of discs. It must have been a b!t<h for him to have to delete all those tracks from his hard drive since he no longer has those discs in his possession.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:36 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Sound Choice @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 pm wrote:

Are all of these hard drivers pirates? From what I’ve seen and based on my experience with technology I’d say yes.

Yes, why would you not want to help eradicate a souce of "disease" that is helping to kill the industry. Some have posted on another forum that it's Sound Choice's actions that have venues dropping karaoke - but if it's working for them, why would they drop it? As you have stated here, it's more the crappy and amateurish hosts (mostly pirates) AND an over saturation of them that most likely has venues dropping karaoke.

You can report pirates here http://www.soundchoicestore.com/report- ... pg-61.html

so you say all of the hard drivers are pirates? i and many people on this forum are 1:1 and on that same forum you are calling us pirates? yes, pirates are a major problem, yes they need to go away as well as the crappy and amateurish hosts that dont care about our business. it has been posted may places that some venues have been scared away from karaoke because of the lawsuits, and these come from people who have been told by the venues "hell no i wont do karaoke with all that crap going on" i know i have by 4 different places. it's not that you are trying to get the pirates, it's the shoot first ask questions later that spooks them. on the other side the crappy ammateurish hosts are what some venues want. there are 2 active threads of people in fear of or already lost shows to the cheap crappy hosts. all the venues see are dollar signs. i do not support these hosts or pirates in any way, but i just had to disagree with your statement that the crappy hosts are the reason for venues dropping karaoke. i believe many venues have karaoke BECAUSE they can get the guy that only wants $50.00 a night instead of the more highly paid pros. i have never lost a show because of lack of people, i have lost 3 shows total, all 3 because some guy offered it cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Paradigm Karaoke @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:36 pm wrote:
Sound Choice @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 pm wrote:

so you say all of the hard drivers are pirates? i and many people on this forum are 1:1 and on that same forum you are calling us pirates? yes, pirates are a major problem, yes they need to go away as well as the crappy and amateurish hosts that dont care about our business. it has been posted may places that some venues have been scared away from karaoke because of the lawsuits, and these come from people who have been told by the venues "hell no i wont do karaoke with all that crap going on" i know i have by 4 different places. it's not that you are trying to get the pirates, it's the shoot first ask questions later that spooks them. on the other side the crappy ammateurish hosts are what some venues want. there are 2 active threads of people in fear of or already lost shows to the cheap crappy hosts. all the venues see are dollar signs. i do not support these hosts or pirates in any way, but i just had to disagree with your statement that the crappy hosts are the reason for venues dropping karaoke. i believe many venues have karaoke BECAUSE they can get the guy that only wants $50.00 a night instead of the more highly paid pros. i have never lost a show because of lack of people, i have lost 3 shows total, all 3 because some guy offered it cheaper.

I guess it's just the price of doing business in this field, venue or KJ...

Spoke with Chartbuster today & will be doing my audit with them soon since I have media-shifted all of my discs to computer hard drive myself.

I look forward to a pleasant experience with them....

Oh, BTW... All computer KJ's may want to contact them very soon if you have shifted any Chartbuster content to computer....

[schild=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=FFFFFF shieldshadow=1]CB Cheerleader[/schild]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
DannyG2006 @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:23 pm wrote:
I know of two that were caught in the web that because they could prove 1:1 compliance that walked away without being charged anything. So those that format shifted their original discs have nothing to fear from Sound Choice or Chartbuster.

If you are fully 1:1 compliant, would you walk into court without any legal consultation??? If so then you are a fool.

If you hire a lawer/legal advice then expect to spend several hundred dollars plus many hours of your life to prove your innocence. Maybe even thousands.

If you are willing to turn over your hard drive and computer to a total stranger to "investigate", then you have no ideas of the potentaial financial danger (passwords, financial info) or a concept of personal privacy.

SC has twisted the legal system into guilty first until proven innocent, and that is not how our system works. Especially since their "reason for suspicion" can be nothing more than using the product that they sell in a legal manner.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dr Fred @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 pm wrote:

If you are fully 1:1 compliant, would you walk into court without any legal consultation??? If so then you are a fool.

If you hire a lawer/legal advice then expect to spend several hundred dollars plus many hours of your life to prove your innocence. Maybe even thousands.

If you are willing to turn over your hard drive and computer to a total stranger to "investigate", then you have no ideas of the potentaial financial danger (passwords, financial info) or a concept of personal privacy.

SC has twisted the legal system into guilty first until proven innocent, and that is not how our system works. Especially since their "reason for suspicion" can be nothing more than using the product that they sell in a legal manner.

You are guilty if you media-shifted their product period, so they have a legal right to take a look.

Who told you that one would have to hand over their computer in an audit?

Besides, only a fool would use a computer with personal data on it at a show. I use computers with nothing but the OS, karaoke player s/w, & the mp3g's themselves on them & never hook them up to the internet. Have never had a crash in over 8 years...

Pretty simple...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Quote:
You are guilty if you media-shifted their product period, so they have a legal right to take a look.

You have fallen for the lie that media-shifting is illegal, where it is at best undecided. While it is undecided, the consensus of many experts in the field is that it is legal.

If it was illegal, then the whole IPod/mp3 player industry would have been sued by the music industry for billions.

No they do not have that right. No judge would allow a search warrent based only on an accusation of media shifting, without a reasonable expectation of song piracy.

As for using a computer for personal and business purposes. Most people don't have the money to just buy multiple computers in the real world, and that is NOT a crime.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sorry, I meant to say "one is guilty for copying the manus trademark" so there you go...

Guilty...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Wall Of Sound @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 pm wrote:
Dr Fred @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 pm wrote:

Who told you that one would have to hand over their computer in an audit?

Besides, only a fool would use a computer with personal data on it at a show. I use computers with nothing but the OS, karaoke player s/w, & the mp3g's themselves on them & never hook them up to the internet. Have never had a crash in over 8 years...

Pretty simple...

Exactly, until you go through the audit, you can't get their permission to use your computer in a show legally. Every one who has shifted their discs to hard drive are guilty as charged unless they decide to let you off and the only way they will is to go through the audit. I'm not afraid of an audit, in fact I will be going through one in November. By this time next month I hope to come out with two letters giving me permission to continue using their tracks on my system. Then once I load my new tracks I am going to buy onto my system I am going to start approaching venues with the letter from KIAA with the hopes of landing at least one gig a week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dr Fred @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:32 pm wrote:
Quote:

As for using a computer for personal and business purposes. Most people don't have the money to just buy multiple computers in the real world, and that is NOT a crime.

But they can buy thousands of karaoke tracks... okay....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lets see, A DELL Inspiron 15 for $450, which is 3 times faster than the little 800mghz P-II with 564MB RAM with a 125GB drive that I still use, should be affordable to any KJ considering the new GEM Series from Sound Choice with 6,000 unduplicated songs is $4880 which is a HUGE drop in price for karaoke content....

A fool would use a computer with personal data on it at a show in my opinion....

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15/pd ... nspiron-15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next