KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Crazy Story heard 3rd Hand involving SC Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:25 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
jamkaraoke @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 am wrote:
Another Urban Legend .... You don't lose business because a KJ is using a loaded hardrive.

I don't know how you can say that. It lowers the bar for starting up a karaoke business, which any economics student knows will cause downward pressure on prices. It would be like trying to sell cigarettes with taxes fully paid against a guy selling them off a hijacked truck.

It very much causes lost business -- for anyone with a legal library.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:58 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Like I said earlier in one of these threads.. a guy could build a pretty useable catalog to gig with for $500 or $600.. not much more than they're selling those loaded drives for.

Sure, they wouldn't have 100,000 songs.. but again.. it's not how many songs you have.. it's WHAT songs you have.

The Sweet Georgia Brown collection alone gets you a ton of songs and the 78 disc set is only $63 on eBay. Load up on the Chartbuster SCDG's which can often be found dirt cheap, and a person could build a pretty respectable catalog for not a lot of money.

Many nights i've noted that I could have done the entire show with the SGB catalog alone.

I suppose if club owners book KJ's based solely on the total number of songs in their catalog, then you might be able to make the argument that pirates cut into legit KJ's profits.. but you and I both know that what it takes to maintain a show is a lot more than the total number of songs in your book.

Especially considering these 100,000 song collections aren't likely to be 100,000 unique songs. Probably lots and lots of dupes, or 'Jewish Favorites' or 'Latin Explosion' collections.. you know.. (@$%&#!) nobody is ever going to sing anyway.

Boil down a 100,000 song collection to unique tracks, and then further condense the catalog down to songs people actually want to sing, and what do you have.. what? Like 5,000 or 6,000 songs?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

theCheese @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:58 am wrote:
Like I said earlier in one of these threads.. a guy could build a pretty useable catalog to gig with for $500 or $600.. not much more than they're selling those loaded drives for.

Sure, they wouldn't have 100,000 songs.. but again.. it's not how many songs you have.. it's WHAT songs you have.

The Sweet Georgia Brown collection alone gets you a ton of songs and the 78 disc set is only $63 on eBay. Load up on the Chartbuster SCDG's which can often be found dirt cheap, and a person could build a pretty respectable catalog for not a lot of money.

SGB is not much quality, and not much in the way of anything current. And I personally doubt the legality of the Chartbuster SCDGs.

Quote:

Many nights i've noted that I could have done the entire show with the SGB catalog alone.

I've never had such a night.

Quote:
I suppose if club owners book KJ's based solely on the total number of songs in their catalog, then you might be able to make the argument that pirates cut into legit KJ's profits.. but you and I both know that what it takes to maintain a show is a lot more than the total number of songs in your book.

Especially considering these 100,000 song collections aren't likely to be 100,000 unique songs. Probably lots and lots of dupes, or 'Jewish Favorites' or 'Latin Explosion' collections.. you know.. <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span> nobody is ever going to sing anyway.

Boil down a 100,000 song collection to unique tracks, and then further condense the catalog down to songs people actually want to sing, and what do you have.. what? Like 5,000 or 6,000 songs?

I am not saying it is the only factor. But it is simple economics that it has an effect. How much? Who knows. But it does have an effect. Supply and demand will out.

In the past 10 years, the cost of both the pro audio equipment necessary and a reasonable karaoke library has gone way down. The number of KJs has gone way up. And average price per show has gone down. Sounds like we had a perfect laboratory experiment to verify the action of those economic forces.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Quote:
Again..... I'm not sure of all the details and this could be either a scam or a made up story ...

Of course it's not true. But then again, with this type of assembly line income based lawsuit mobile factory, that's what you can expect to get. And this is good for karaoke how again? must of missed that thread.
But i can relate a bit of information to you that is 100% true and accurate. We had a fellow here invent an electronic chip to go into the computer system of an automobile. He was hauling 25 people at a pop into court for stealing and building his idea, which of course was his right to do so. Didn't take the court system long to start putting these cases's on the back burner. That was in 2003, there are still well over a hundred cases's to be heard. That is the reason the slepps keep their home based income enterprise mobile, there are more then likely enough pirates in South Carolina to feed them all for years to come, but that dreaded court system...... :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Don't forget that during the same span of time, Karaoke in general has decreased in popularity from it's 'boom days' 12 to 15 years ago when it was all the rage.

You start talking about quality differences between SGB and say, SoundChoice and you're talking about an entirely different kind of clientèle.

The people who don't notice the difference between a Nady DKW wireless mic and a SM58 wireless mic are the same people who aren't going to notice the difference between a SGB track and a SoundChoice.. or do notice but simply don't care.

These.. we'll call them 'pedestrian' shows aren't likely ever going to be high paying gigs. They don't care if you use BR15's or JBL's as mains.

There's a chick down the road I KNOW is bootleg.. she drags her junk PA in and sets it on the floor. She gets paid like $75 a night. The club seats like 30 people tops. All her tracks sound like they were ripped on a Commodore 64.

You think if she gets shut down that gig is going to go to a legit KJ like myself for $200+?

You think if she gets shut down the people who go to her show are going to start flooding to my show because of my superior sound system and legitimate catalog?

Come on, man.

Most of the shows i've seen i've suspected to be bootleg shows were similar. Just awful sound, run by a person who clearly has no microphone personality, and only a very rudimentary grasp on how to operate the equipment.

I don't feel these people are any true threat or competition to me with their $50 shows in hole in the wall bars.. because while we both might be doing karaoke.. they're simply not in the same league.

Like slow-pitch softball vs. minor league MVP.

I'm not cocky enough to consider myself major league. Maybe once I get a real wireless microphone. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 172 times
mckyj57 @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:25 pm wrote:
Another Urban Legend .... You don't lose business because a KJ is using a loaded hardrive.

I don't know how you can say that. It lowers the bar for starting up a karaoke business, which any economics student knows will cause downward pressure on prices. It would be like trying to sell cigarettes with taxes fully paid against a guy selling them off a hijacked truck.

well that depends what it's loaded with. I knew a guy, that would bring in a hard drive, loaded with nose candy....packed house with everyone walking around looking like they just ate a powdered donut......everyone sounded good that night, and the kj got through 120 songs in just 4 hours.......rrrrrrrrrr!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:53 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
Red Bull Karaoke??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mckyj57 @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 pm wrote:

If your argument is that KJ with pirated drives take gigs away from KJ's with legal libraries. I guess I would agree that many shows are being hosted with kj's with illegal drives that could be hosted by other legal KJ. makes sense.

BUT .... a misconception is that KJ's who have loaded hardrives work cheaper ...have inferior equipment and bad shows. and ruin the market.
NOT FOR OTHER KJS..maybe for Soundchoice or other mfgs. YES I guess that pirated musics drives up the cost of production etc etc and the cost of NEW karaoke.
Which in turn effects LEGAL kj's

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:57 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

jamkaraoke @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:44 pm wrote:
mckyj57 @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 pm wrote:

If your argument is that KJ with pirated drives take gigs away from KJ's with legal libraries. I guess I would agree that many shows are being hosted with kj's with illegal drives that could be hosted by other legal KJ. makes sense.

BUT .... a misconception is that KJ's who have loaded hardrives work cheaper ...have inferior equipment and bad shows. and ruin the market.

Not all of them. But enough of them to cause downward pressure on prices. Karaoke hosting doesn't get to violate the laws of supply and demand.

Quote:
NOT FOR OTHER KJS..maybe for Soundchoice or other mfgs. YES I guess that pirated musics drives up the cost of production etc etc and the cost of NEW karaoke.
Which in turn effects LEGAL kj's

If there are more hosts pursuing the same number of jobs, then prices will go down -- period. They are and they have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:32 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

jamkaraoke @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:36 am wrote:
I heard this story from a friend of a friend who heard it maybe from someone else..... (((((TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF TRUE OR IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS EVER HEARD))))))))

Guy walks into a bar in NJ, flashes some sort of ID stating he is from Sound Choice and begins to advise the KJ that they believe the HARD DRIVE they are using is illegal or at least PARTIALLY full of illegal tracks. Demands the KJ hands over the drive for investigation right there on the spot. KJ hands over drive .........

Again..... I'm not sure of all the details and this could be either a scam or a made up story ... Any one ever heard of such a thing ???

Sounds like a drive by pooping - :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:49 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
theCheese @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:39 pm wrote:
Maybe once I get a real wireless microphone. ;)

The place I work keep pushing for me to get one.
I don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:40 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
jerry12x @ Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:49 am wrote:
I don't get it.

That's why they keep pushing you to get one!!!!