KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice Files Lawsuits In Nashville Area Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:06 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Here is the Justia link for the latest Trademark Lawsuit filed by Sound Choice in Tennessee yesterday, September 30th, 2009

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court- ... _id-55365/

Also BRAVO to Kurt Slep, CEO of Sound Choice on his statements on the "Our DJ Talk" board here:

http://www.ourdjtalk.com/showthread.php ... post324010

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
I sure hope they get to Knoxville soon!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:03 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
Looks like Sound Choice is doing all the lawsuits--Tennessee is Chartbuster territory.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:08 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

rumbolt @ Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:00 am wrote:

Rumbolt,

At least the first 3 defendants named are in Knoxville, TN.

Jimmy's Southern Pub, LLC
2917 Tazewell Pike
Knoxville, TN 37918

Macleod's Irish Pub & Restaurant
1931 Cumberland Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37916

Blue Chips Sports Pub & Grill
7815 Montvue Center Way
Knoxville , TN 37919

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Here's something to think about. It was taken from a discussion with the CEO of SC on another forum:

I am the one who was replying to a post from SC:
"
3) If one were to have a download site, wouldn't it behoove one to download a copy of the licensing for each track, if such licensing WERE AVAILABLE?

Quote from SC: "
We do not have the rights from the Music Publishers (who represent the song writers) to grant the transfer of our music from the CDG to a hard drive"

If that's the case- and YOU { "YOU" meaning Kurt S.} say it is- than how were downloads made available? Did someone sit by a PC with the entire SC library and manually play a disc into the internet with each request?

No, my guess would be that SC may just have possibly transferred discs to a hard drive for download. As stated above, by SC- WITHOUT THE RIGHTS TO DO SO .. So much for licensed music...."

If they take a KJ to court, and this comes up, SC will probably be liable for a LOT more monetary damages as a single entity than any KJ.

Though I agree with the stand against piracy, I believe that only an untainted, impartial, fully authorized federal agency should be the one to oversee enforcement.

This also proves what I've been saying all along. There are no U.S. Licensed download sites. Rip from your discs.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:24 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
On that same forum, when Kurt Slep was asked by Joe about moving offshore to avoid US licensing fees, here's what he said:

Quote:
First of all Joe, I am not responding hoping that you will suddenly buy Sound Choice products - if you only have 40 Sound Choice discs out of 1200 (less than 4%), then you are obviously not a Sound Choice "customer".... {redacted by Diafel for ease of reading}....but if a Sound Choice CUSTOMER wishes to pose questions out of a legitimate concern, then I will respond to them.

How's that for you?
I always thought that purchasing a product, EVEN ONE, made you a customer of the person selling the product. Perhaps I'm wrong.
That statement alone makes me want to tell him to go have sex with himself.
Again, while I am against piracy (bolded for Kurt, who seems to think, for some reason, that we are FOR piracy) and I believe SC has every right to get paid for their products, this kind of statement from the owner of SC speaks volumes to me.
I asked Kurt to please define for us, what requirements, exactly, we would need to fulfill in order to be defined as a Sound Choice "customer". I have yet to hear back, but then, it's only been a day, so we shall see if he chooses to answer or not.
At any rate, it certainly doesn't endear me to his plight when I read statements like that, and combined with the WAY he's trying to fight piracy, I am more and more inclined to actively make the move to not be a "customer", whatever that may mean. I think Kurt forgets that any "customers" (by whatever definition he decides on) he has or had, are reading these boards and that what he says and how he says it could very well affect the future sales of his products, something by his own admission that he sorely needs.
Come on, Kurt! Pull your head out of your butt and start working WITH the people who buy your products, even if they only buy only one disc.
You say you need more sales. Well, why don't you make them WANT to put money in your pocket? Even ONE happy customer can yields several more. But all it takes is one unhappy customer to drive far more away than you will ever know. That's the first thing you learn in business. Have you forgotten that?
You will attract far more flies with honey than you ever will with the vinegar you're sloshing about.
If you continue to have the kind of attitude towards your customers (whatever that means) that you have recently shown, you need not worry about the future of Sound Choice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:53 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I am a little surprised by that as, while I know Joe is not a great fan of the way Sound Choice has been running it's business, he HAS been a champion for buying and using DISCS over other alternatives. But it was sort of a snotty comment, in any case.

The other thing I wondered about--the Sound Choice CEO says he just became aware of these discussions in the forums--if I was in the karaoke business I would at least be skimming over the forums to see the trends and issues relating to the business. Might not have time to read it all but at least would be checking it out to stay current in my own industry.

So here I go with the Love/Hate thing again--I just renewed my Sound Choice Club Membership.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:05 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
leopard lizard @ Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:53 am wrote:
The other thing I wondered about--the Sound Choice CEO says he just became aware of these discussions in the forums--if I was in the karaoke business I would at least be skimming over the forums to see the trends and issues relating to the business. Might not have time to read it all but at least would be checking it out to stay current in my own industry.

Funny!
I thought EXACTLY the same thing when I read that!
A little suspicious, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:34 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
From most of the comments here made about bar owners I sometimes wonder what planet I'm on. Most bars now cannot afford to pay entertainment full price. Since they cant hosts could not afford to buy cd's every month like we did for years. Some like the Bull & Bears cancel karaoke because of ASCP & BMI. These two are another reason they cant pay the entertainment. Rent, heating, and electricity went out of sight.

When this campaign is done there will be very few bars that will even consider karaoke. If nobody here can't get this in their head public karaoke will be a thing of the past.

A few of us have offered some solutions but we are silenced by this insanity. I am glad I hosted in the good old days for public karaoke will soon be a thing of the past.

I do not make these comments debating one side of the other. I am simply uttering facts and truths...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Maybe in heaven food and music will be free but down here on earth they aren't. I know you think that is immoral, somehow, but people can't afford to put out music for free so hosts can use it without paying for it so they can charge bar owners less. I see a swing back towards trying live music in our area which will be good for the musicians. But I think it is a matter of bar owners trying anything and everything and so far they don't make as much profit as with karaoke.

There will always be people who would rather hear themselves sing than pay to hear other people. So karaoke probably won't die out so much as it might no longer be on every corner in tiny bars that don't have the seating to pay a legal host. Maybe they will do IPOD karaoke or something.

I can't feel sorry for people who have stolen something, bragged about what suckers the legal hosts are and then get caught. They aren't displaced, starving refugees on the streets stealing a loaf of bread. They are stealing the property of others in order to steal shows from those who put out their hard earned cash to buy a legitimate library.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:33 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
They are stealing the property of others in order to steal shows from those who put out their hard earned cash to buy a legitimate library.

LOL Hon that doesnt fly here. I talk to hosts all the time that shared a preloaded hard drive. They show me no disrespect nor has any one of them tried to or talked to an owner that I was working for. Yesterday one told me that Kersey Inn needed a host Halloween night . He said she might pay $150. I called her and when she found out who it was she asked me what I charge. I told her I would give her a break but that night would be $200. She didnt balk.

He said something about filling in for him a few times. He gets $100. I said I get $150. Pirates do not intimidate me nor can they compete with me. Bar owners, singers and listeners in this area are aware of what is going on because I tell tell them.

OK he does a small bar. If this campaign hit that bar and went thru their lawsuits he probably would quit hosting and even if the bar wanted to keep karaoke I wouldnt want that gig. For one reason he cant afford me.

Karaoke all but died in this area and it was because of small libraries and very very poor systems. It is more a matter of economics rather than morals.

Have you ever watched a family that stood there crying watching an auctioneer selling the farm that had been in their family for generations? I have watched several.. I see small mop and pop bars closing and I have known them for years. Those are the ones I side with.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:43 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Our experiences with pirates differ.

I am not sure how allowing hard drives full of stolen music would help a mom and pop store. We have all faced losses and hardships in our lives, some more than others. I've lived out of my car several times in my life. Stealing music wouldn't have helped.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

leopard lizard @ Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:43 pm wrote:
Our experiences with pirates differ.

I am not sure how allowing hard drives full of stolen music would help a mom and pop store. We have all faced losses and hardships in our lives, some more than others. I've lived out of my car several times in my life. Stealing music wouldn't have helped.

How many many times times do I have to say it? It has been proven here that it doesnt. IT DOES NOT HELP. THIS IS A RURAL AREA THAT IS FULL OF HONEST HARD WORKING PEOPLE AND THEIR WORD IS GOOD AS GOLD. They do not like pirates......Let me reiterate THEY DO NOT LIKE PIRATES...

We will put them out of business in our way.. How many flippin businesses that were shady survive other than Mcduffy or whatever his name is. ROFL I am sorry I cant express myself My only conclusion is I am one of the few here that can read & write.

I am not a pirate... I do not like pirates but we will let them bottom feed until they go out of business and the bar owners quit hiring them because they are ineffective. [/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Quote:
If that's the case- and YOU { "YOU" meaning Kurt S.} say it is- than how were downloads made available? Did someone sit by a PC with the entire SC library and manually play a disc into the internet with each request?

Joe, that's almost right. Someone did manually format change the CDGs, whether alone or with help. Once everything was done, then doing up a download site or copy many harddrives is fairly simple. Sell a 100 hardrives at $300 each is $100,000. Not a bad profit even if it took you all year to do it. Now as more people may have done partial libraries and incorporated others, still an easy way to make a buck or hundreds of thousands.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:34 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

JoeChartreuse @ Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:40 pm wrote:
Here's something to think about. It was taken from a discussion with the CEO of SC on another forum:

I am the one who was replying to a post from SC:
"
3) If one were to have a download site, wouldn't it behoove one to download a copy of the licensing for each track, if such licensing WERE AVAILABLE?

Quote from SC: "
We do not have the rights from the Music Publishers (who represent the song writers) to grant the transfer of our music from the CDG to a hard drive"

No, my guess would be that SC may just have possibly transferred discs to a hard drive for download. As stated above, by SC- WITHOUT THE RIGHTS TO DO SO .. So much for licensed music...."

If they take a KJ to court, and this comes up, SC will probably be liable for a LOT more monetary damages as a single entity than any KJ.

Though I agree with the stand against piracy, I believe that only an untainted, impartial, fully authorized federal agency should be the one to oversee enforcement.

This also proves what I've been saying all along. There are no U.S. Licensed download sites. Rip from your discs.

Joe,

I think you already know about the thread move on ODJT regarding SC moving to AU....

Obviously Kurt Slep originally posted on the Trademark Lawsuits then you posted off topic on AU & downloads...

I understand that this may have been your only opportunity to ask Kurt about the AU & download issue as it is a very important question, & it does appear that Kurt dodged the question, so perhaps he can see the newly created ODJT thread on "Sound Choice Move to Digital off Shore Sales Legal/Illegal?" here:

http://www.ourdjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29370

I am not a lawyer but as far as SC moving offshore, I do not think it would be relivent regarding a defense in the Trademark Infringement litigation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

To Kurt Slep and evrerybody else. Come to Greeley and we will show you an honest hard working man's way of getting rid of pirates. The first thing you have to do is give the honest hosts an advantage and a huge incentive for pirates to become legal. It is obvious that your main objective is no longer producing quality CD'S but persuing legal means which will harm our industry with no regards for your honest customers from many years. For this SIR I have no respect for you or your legal henchmen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
Joe,

I think you already know about the thread move on ODJT regarding SC moving to AU....

Obviously Kurt Slep originally posted on the Trademark Lawsuits then you posted off topic on AU & downloads...

I understand that this may have been your only opportunity to ask Kurt about the AU & download issue as it is a very important question, & it does appear that Kurt dodged the question, so perhaps he can see the newly created ODJT thread on "Sound Choice Move to Digital off Shore Sales Legal/Illegal?" here:

http://www.ourdjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29370

I am not a lawyer but as far as SC moving offshore, I do not think it would be relivent regarding a defense in the Trademark Infringement litigation.

I am waiting for Kurt Slep to respond I have given my business phone number and all pertinent contact info. If you do not respond with pertinent contact info your posts are impotent Do you realize this?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:02 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Phil can i obtain your business phone number?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

InsaneKJ @ Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:08 pm wrote:
rumbolt @ Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:00 am wrote:

Rumbolt,

At least the first 3 defendants named are in Knoxville, TN.

Jimmy's Southern Pub, LLC
2917 Tazewell Pike
Knoxville, TN 37918

Macleod's Irish Pub & Restaurant
1931 Cumberland Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37916

Blue Chips Sports Pub & Grill
7815 Montvue Center Way
Knoxville , TN 37919

I glanced at the lawsuit header and don't have a password to the site so I was unable to pickup on the adresses. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What I'm trying to figue out on this thread and others related to the lawsuits is that some here are still kicking SC about some of their supposed business practices (questionable or not). We have all collectivly been pushing for the manus to get after the pirates and the respective venues that are supporting the illegal practices, instead all some people can do is to continue to (@$%&#!) and moan about the manus. I think (and this is just me thinkin) we need to get behind Sound Choice, Chartbusters and any other manu that goes foward with lawsuits. Right now I could care less if they offer downloads (we could debate that issue in another thread) or not or even if they have moved offshore (for whatever reasons). This is the main reason I am still disc based. I am not an lawyer nor do I know the law well enougth to confront someone about it. I am sure their legal team has spent a lot of time and $$$$s to make sure what they are doing is within the laws here and abroad. I am elated that they are finally getting with it here in Knoxville. Piracy is a real problem here. Some venues are no longer doing Karaoke and they say it is because of the ASCAP fees. Many of the them (venues) don't even relize that the are still liable for those fees even if they play over head music or live band. So the logic of them not doing one (paying the legally required fee) and still doing the other (paying a pirate) is total ignorrance and sometimes arrogance by the venue owner. Now i know ASCAP can' t get theit s&*^ together screwing with the disparity of prices they charge, these thing don't get to me (it has cost me some business) as much as PIRACY. I guess what I am trying to say is that we need to refocus on piracy and let the manus lawyers do their jobs.

Just my 2Cents!