KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - 6 new tracks from pep/sc Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
I watched 3 of the videos with the lead vocal, and the lyric scrolling is late. The lyrics need to be slightly ahead of the singer to push them, not the lyrics following after they sing the word(s). Does anyone else agree?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
jeffmic wrote:
I watched 3 of the videos with the lead vocal, and the lyric scrolling is late. The lyrics need to be slightly ahead of the singer to push them, not the lyrics following after they sing the word(s). Does anyone else agree?

I agree but you can't base it on the on line demo. I've experienced the same thing with the previews from other manufacturers but once I downloaded the file everything played as it should.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
dvdgdry wrote:
I'm willing to bet that one could still record and pirate off the subscription service with the use of something like KeepVid Pro and will be. Will they go to the FEDs again over that?
One "could", but it's more likely to be a "won't".

Capturing the GEM series (or anyone's library) via the Compuhost subscription is entirely possible, but also importantly it would be an entirely impractical undertaking using any program that recorded video as it was streamed. Remember, that's a real-time recording. Login to your account, run one song, record it as it plays, and 4 minutes later you have (tuh duh!) ONE song. Now repeat 5,000 times. If you did it non-stop around the clock it would take 14 days (and if you didn't have an unlimited data plan, just imagine the charges).

Now think again. The crook has to be logged into their Compuhost/GEM account, continuously playing one different song after another, for the entire duration. So enforcement would be too easy.... flag and suspend any subscription that's running continuous, unique songs, especially outside of normal show hours. No host has a full rotation at 9AM on a Tuesday morning :) "Your subscription has been terminated for suspicious activity -- and no, don't ask for a refund!" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Sound Choice is giving us the shaft. They are now alienating the same KJ's who have supported them for years by buying their discs. Now that they are producing new music, they won't make individual tracks available to us unless we pay for a GEM license or a subscription. Well folks, most of us don't want or need a subscription.

SC should make individual downloads available to EVERYBODY. Just like everyone else does. Without any stipulations. Otherwise, I see this as a "fail".

Although SC does indeed produce good tracks, they are no longer needed in the market. In the 8 or so years that SC hasn't produced new music, karaoke still went on. People still came out to sing and KJ's still had jobs. We got our music elsewhere and no one complained. The fact that there was no SC music didn't change a thing... not one thing.

I really believe that SC needs to re-think their marketing strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:
Sound Choice is giving us the shaft. They are now alienating the same KJ's who have supported them for years by buying their discs. Now that they are producing new music, they won't make individual tracks available to us unless we pay for a GEM license or a subscription. Well folks, most of us don't want or need a subscription.

SC should make individual downloads available to EVERYBODY. Just like everyone else does. Without any stipulations. Otherwise, I see this as a "fail".

Although SC does indeed produce good tracks, they are no longer needed in the market. In the 8 or so years that SC hasn't produced new music, karaoke still went on. People still came out to sing and KJ's still had jobs. We got our music elsewhere and no one complained. The fact that there was no SC music didn't change a thing... not one thing.

I really believe that SC needs to re-think their marketing strategy.

A new songs only option is in the works at a much lower subscription price. Might be worth it for those who already have all the songs on the original GEM Series. Notice I said might. If it was available for most softwares.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Alan B wrote:
jeffmic wrote:

I agree but you can't base it on the on line demo. I've experienced the same thing with the previews from other manufacturers but once I downloaded the file everything played as it should.

Not to mention that video karaoke audio sync is generally different from machine to machine and output ie HDMII has more latency issues than VGA.

I have some custom created tracks that I know are dead on where the sync moves all over the place during the song when played on some people's systems and is dead on on other systems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:47 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
It's not so much a matter that they are giving "us" the shaft (the lawsuits were, the HELP licenses were, but not the current marketing plans). It's that going forward, they want to make money from new customers only, and for the simple reason they haven't figured out a way to make money from old customers, and probably never will. They will ignore us old, fully established KJ's, and we should just ignore them. Us folk would like downloads and discs, but they don't want to sell downloads and discs for fear of piracy. We have all the old SC content we all want by now. New KJ's can rent it, or subscribe to it, and all the new KJ's of today will be the ONLY KJ's of tomorrow as the rest of us age and retire. We aren't their customer base anymore. They made all the money off of us they ever will at point of sale, when we originally bought their discs. They don't make a penny off all the reselling and trading of old cdg's. Selling music old or new isn't the future for them, or for much of the entire music business anymore -- renting it is the future. There's just no reason to waste energy feeling frustrated about Sound Choice anymore -- those days are gone, and in more ways than one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Well, I think that if it's SC's aim to make money from "new" customers, they're going to fail. The first thing someone does when entering this field is buy a loaded hard drive off of eBay. Most KJ's are pirates and want to spend as little as possible. They are not out to operate a legitimate legal business. They're out to make a fast buck. I seriously doubt that you're going to see them actually pay $1200 a year for music.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
and then if you are only able to sell to a few hundred people, they are back in the same boat they claimed took them out of business in the first place...not enough people giving them money to make new tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:13 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Why BOTHER?!!!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

SwingcatKurt wrote:
Why BOTHER?!!!

Exactly. While SC has always produced a good product, they are no longer needed or vital in today's market. Their absence has confirmed this. As I've said, the karaoke world did not come crashing down when they stopped producing music. It's been doing just fine without SC.

Now with that said, I have several SC discs and have always been satisfied with the quality of them. I would continue to support SC if their new offerings were made available as individual downloads. But since that is not the case, I will be getting my new music elsewhere since I have no use for a subscription service.

I think the best thing that SC can do is come out with some new technology that will take the karaoke world by storm such as displaying the lyrics as a 3D hologram that appears suspended in front of the singer without using a monitor. Otherwise, I would stay away from trying to re-enter the market with new music. I just don't see it as being feasible for both the consumer and for SC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan B wrote:
SwingcatKurt wrote:
Why BOTHER?!!!

Exactly. While SC has always produced a good product, they are no longer needed or vital in today's market. Their absence has confirmed this. As I've said, the karaoke world did not come crashing down when they stopped producing music. It's been doing just fine without SC.

Now with that said, I have several SC discs and have always been satisfied with the quality of them. I would continue to support SC if their new offerings were made available as individual downloads. But since that is not the case, I will be getting my new music elsewhere since I have no use for a subscription service.

I think the best thing that SC can do is come out with some new technology that will take the karaoke world by storm such as displaying the lyrics as a 3D hologram that appears suspended in front of the singer without using a monitor. Otherwise, I would stay away from trying to re-enter the market with new music. I just don't see it as being feasible for both the consumer and for SC.

BAH . . . If you're gonna go HI-TECH, Eliminate the middleman(the eyes) and beam the words directly into the singer's head. 8>))

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
There is that OTHER subscription problem. If they lose the licensing on any of the new songs, those songs go away. So, if you have a singer, and they like song X, and the license goes away, your singer can't sing song X anymore. He will go where he CAN sing song X. I would rather stick to single song downloads. Good example, I had purchased Disturbed - Sound of Silence from SBI. Shortly after I purchased it, they took it away. Luckily, I got it. With a subscription, it would be gone, never to be sung again. I will stick to buying my songs as I need them. At least I can keep them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
There is that OTHER subscription problem. If they lose the licensing on any of the new songs, those songs go away. So, if you have a singer, and they like song X, and the license goes away, your singer can't sing song X anymore. He will go where he CAN sing song X. I would rather stick to single song downloads. Good example, I had purchased Disturbed - Sound of Silence from SBI. Shortly after I purchased it, they took it away. Luckily, I got it. With a subscription, it would be gone, never to be sung again. I will stick to buying my songs as I need them. At least I can keep them.

Totally agree with this 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Let's see
Cons of subscription
Chance of songs disappearing
Ongoing monthly payments to keep access to songs
Never own songs

Cons of downloads
Need money in account at time of purchase
You don't get full access to the entire catalog in one purchase unless you buy the entire catalog in one purchase and that is a huge ammount of money outlayedin one purchase.

Pros of downloads
They're yours permanently

Pros of subscription
Possible availability of better quality versions of songs you already have
Don't have to worry at time of use
Whether or not you have the money to pay for the use.
Full access to any song in the catalog at anytime during the active subscription period.

Personally there's enough pros for even me to consider using a subscription as well as downloads. But for me which subscription is the better choice. It be great to have access to both Sound Choice and Party Tyme subscription services but it seems at this point to be a pipe dream.

Now the choice for me anyway is somewhat confusing.
I could go with the Party Tyme subscription but there's no choice of getting Sound Choice songs via download while I could go with Sound Choice but that would mean having an extra budget item for remote requests due to having to pay for use of Songbooks Online. Access to the Party Tyme catalog is easy through OpenKJ Song Shop standalone program and the others I can access via a web browser.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:30 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Cons of downloads
what? I use either my bank debit, credit card or my pay pal credit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonman wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Cons of downloads

I use Lonman's bank debit, credit card, and pay pal credit also. 8>)))

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Cons of downloads

I know, Lonman. It's just Danny being his usual uninformed self.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
dsm2000 wrote:
Lonman wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Cons of downloads

I use Lonman's bank debit, credit card, and pay pal credit also. 8>)))

Email me those numbers and I'll give Lonman's debit, credit and paypal a shot too!

:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:11 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I don't carry any credit cards at all. Unless I have the money, with the exception of Zzounds or Sweetwater, I don't make the purchase.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next