KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - NON-ACTIVE Members... Administrative Announcements Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NON-ACTIVE Members...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:22 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
Hello all,

Just wanted to advise you (some may already know) that yesterday I deleted several hundred members that never Activated their accounts.

There are several hundred more that although their accounts are "Activated" they are not "ACTIVE" - this means they have never posted in the forums.

I realize that many have been active in Singers Showcase - however they have never once posted in the forums.

Part of the membership is being a participant. I would like to delete all those accounts that have not participated by posting in the forums but fear that I may accidently delete some that are active in SS.

In order to avoid this problem please advise everyone that you know to at least post once in the forums.

I don't want to delete your friends or acqaintances by mistake.

Why - you ask - do I wish to delete these accounts for non-activity? Well, what is the point of having a membership here if you are not going to participate? At least they can introduce themselves in the "Newbie" section.

Also, there are many spammers that create accounts and activate then later comeback to post "garbage" in our forums. We (the moderators) spend a great deal of time trying to keep this place clean of these type of posts.

I appreciate everyones assistance in this matter.

Thank you,

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:25 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Thanks for the warning and I hope this counts as participating in the forum. I'll help spread the word.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:01 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
do you need someone who is active in SS to sift thru names for ya?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:13 am 
webmaster
webmaster

If there are folks willing - That would certainly be a great help.
:hi5:

I know that there are several hundred (thousand) Bogus users!

Some of these users have never posted to the forums but are active in Singers Showcase, Then there are others that have posted but areour favorite people (NOT) the SPAMMERS!

If you find those that should be deleted you can send me a PM with the username.

Thanks in advance.

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

are you able to email me the users in spreadsheet. when I have looked up members list they have a number of categories like when they last logged in, when they last posted etc. If I used the last login date and last post date as guideline and took out those that have not logged in for 12 months (minus those who sub on ss...should have a reasonable knowlege of who is who considering I am there every day) I dont mind doing the work going thru them Phil...hubby is away for 10 weeks, its winter, I have the time and the committment to the place to assist if you want me to

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:26 am 
webmaster
webmaster

I can create a spreadsheet (Excel) work for you?

It will be very large

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:07 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Songs: 28
Dude, don't you know any computer programmers?

You could have a VB proggy made that could search through a several million line  file in about 5 seconds to do what you want..

The program would take about an hr to make...or less...I used to get my dad to make me programs that would review millions of lines of code for my CNC machines .

I would do it myself but I havent programmed in Visual Basic for years and It would take me way too long..

Unfortunately my dad cannot do these things anymore but there are tons of VB Guru's all ofer the place...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:34 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Murlinman - I know plenty of programmers, thing is none that will work for FREE! ;-)

I am uncertain as to what exactly the script you are talking about would do?

What the problem here is we have lots of SPAMMERS that have registered and posted, well - SPAM.

Then there are other members that have registered and never posted to the forums but use the Singers Showcase.

There are still others that have registered but posted only a few times.

To figure out who is an active member and who is a SPAMMER is very difficult to calculate. These need to be gone through line by line, member by member to determine.

I have a script that will determine who has registered & never posted, and then who has registered & posted. It isn't possible to determine if those posts are SPAM without manually checking?!

I don't wish to accidently delete someone because they have never posted to the forums. Although I keep asking everyone to do so.

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

webguru @ Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:26 am wrote:
I can create a spreadsheet (Excel) work for you?

It will be very large

Exel will be awesome thanks...I will use colour coding rather than delete any...so long as you have the last time they logged in (if poss) and the last time they posted in ks I can basically do the rest and will include a legend for the colours used...then it will be at your discretion to delete :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:21 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Songs: 28
I can appreciate your problem..SPAM is a huge problem for us all...

Well instead of deleting the accounts, just ban them temporarily...have your script tag the account with a timer, then e-mail the account and say it will be deleted if they are not active and such.  

Anyone who has just been away for a while will certainly try to e-mail you to get their account turned back on...if they don't within a certain timeframe...then the counter will automatically delete the account.

Let it be known in the FAQ's, and if people can't understand the huge problem with SPAM and try to cause a big stink about it, well you didn't need those guys around here to begin with anyways...

BTW...Kuddos to Vikki for offering her time to be able to do this :hi5:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Another problem that we have is people eliminate their email address or put a bogus one in the profile.

I can't send an email to these members - some of them are active - because it just bounces. Also, note that some of these members are also PAID members! Don't want to delete them especially! ;-)

Although a violation of the rules they still do it. I have made several posts regarding this - but if they don't read the post - how will they know?

This is really causing me headaches...

I can export a list of members but I would have to write a special script to be able to down load when they logged in or posted etc. This would be very time consuming...

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:21 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I was on one forum that they were getting so much of the spam & junk that they retooled & asked all members to stop using screen names & put in their real name & location.  Then when these spammers came on with the screen name "nuvranboevj" not that they didn't know before but knew for sure.  This also made all the active participants known, they gave like 6 months before they started deleting unused accounts.  Could be an option.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:29 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
There mods such as this onelink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:33 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
There mods such as this onelink

Phil phpBB 3.0 shows the most recent joiners with 0 posts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

webguru @ Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:53 am wrote:
Another problem that we have is people eliminate their email address or put a bogus one in the profile.

I can't send an email to these members - some of them are active - because it just bounces. Also, note that some of these members are also PAID members! Don't want to delete them especially! ;-)

Although a violation of the rules they still do it. I have made several posts regarding this - but if they don't read the post - how will they know?

This is really causing me headaches...

I can export a list of members but I would have to write a special script to be able to down load when they logged in or posted etc. This would be very time consuming...

but hang on...whats the big deal of deleting an account that has been inactive...its not like you are banning it, it has simply fallen through the cracks...nothing to say it cant be reactivated. This would be the only place I know of online that has a forever policy...some places you lose membership if you havent logged in in two weeks

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 am 

Well this is kinda scary, Myself..I go to SS alot and have never really posted on the forums..I guess I didnt realize it was something of such great importance  :shock:  I love to hear people sing and comment to their subs, the forums are something I read through very seldom.. but may have to take the time to do, now :)  And is this how everyone gets the avatars ?? have always wondered how they got them cute things :)
 Now I have posted, Im active.....yeah ... :hi5:

Shannon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

shannon honey no-one is saying you have to make a regular post in here but it is good to at least post once to validate your current membership and to let Phil know if he is using some kind of prog to sift through the non posters. I was going to go thru the list but he hasnt sent it to me, so he must have found another way

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:36 pm 

Hi Vicki, well ya know what...I just might get use to this posting thing...I think I may enjoy it :)  Guess not really coming in here much and very seldom reading things...I just never paid attention to all that went on, but it may be cool... I did notice today that there are certain forums that i couldnt get into....whys that, no big deal..just wondering.

Have a great wkend, Vicki.

Shannon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

the lounge for instance I believe you have to have posted something like 5 or 10 times before granted access...this isnt cos its elitist, its becos we have had probs with spammers. And the singers forum you actually have to apply to phil to get access...if he doesnt answer let me know and I will stick pins in a doll ;-)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:52 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Phil,

Any chance that anyone who put up songs or leaves feedback on SS might also count towards the posting totals.  It should show those as activity for users who only use SS.

Karaoke is the only social disease that you can get in public and not get arrested.