KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Speaker Size Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Speaker Size
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I was surprised to learn from Sammy and all the other experienced audiophiles here that it takes 10x the power to double the volume when talking AMPS WATTS POWER RATING ETC...... I noticed while using my backup 180w x 2 @ 8ohms powered mixer that it wasn't THAT much differant sounding (volume wise) then using my main system which is 280w x 2 @ 8ohms thru the same speakers .... This questions is more concernging the difference bewteen using a 15" speaker vs a 12" speaker (assuming they are the same make etc ) I've only used 80lb 15" speakers with my system . I would like to pick up a set of lite weight speakers ..The cost diff between the 12" & the 15" is not the question ($30 ea) I'm thinking that having a 12" speaker for some smaller GIGS would be benefical and easier on my back... BUT since I''m not using any subs with my system I don't want to lose TOO much bottom end...
12" speakers for smaller gigs????? OR JUST GET THE :?: 15"

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jbl makes a nice 15" sub with a 15" hi driver that is fairly light weight. i use 2 of them and there isnt much diff between them and the sp2x peaveys @86 lbs each

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:05 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
10" & 12" speakers in a PA standpoint are generally used for mid/low mid. They don't generate a lot of bass, which is why most manufacturers recommend a sub with them.
As far as the power issue, more power doesn't necessarily mean more volume, but it will be cleaner sound at comparable listening levels. The difference between 180 Watts per channel & 280 watts per channel is a pretty small margin, not even double, so there wouldn't be THAT much difference between the 2, but you most likely had to turn the volume for the smaller amp up a little bit more than the main amp.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:32 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Geez Jam - You're one muscular kinda guy - 80 lbs? I have a friend who is using a set of 12" Celestion Speakers driven by a 500 watt (@8ohms) QSC amp - When I went to his gig I thought he was running a sub - I looked in and out of his system just to make sure because I was overwhelmed by the drive.

Would I go back to 12's?? - No.

Stick with the 15's, you never can tell how much air you'll have to move.

Sammy

The opinions of Sammy do not necessarily reflect the views of the Karaoke Scene Magazine - Advice is given with a sence of humor and should be taken accordingly - If you have problems setting the clock on your VCR - You've come to the right place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:20 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

There are far more important factors to the sound of a speaker cabinet that woofer size. The quality of the woofer and the design of the cabinet can make a 10" speaker pump bass like you would't believe. On the other hand it can make a 15" woffer sound thin. Go to the music store with a CD or CDG that you know well, ask them to try a few sets of speakers and disregard the size, pick the one that sounds good to you. In the words of a great producer, "It it sounds good, it is good"

Make sure you take a CD that has songs you are VERY familliar with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:23 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

One thing you should know when testdriving speakers. If the speaker is on the floor rather than on a stand, you will get the hear more bass. Try to listen to speakers that are roughly at the same level for a more accurate test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:06 pm 

I am playing my first show this Saturday and I am using my band system. 2-Yamaha S115 pumping 400 watts each through a Peavey CS800, 2-15" Carvin subs pumping 600 watts each through a Peavey 1200, and two more mains (rentals) at 300 watts each. My signal is routed through a Digitech S100 (vocals only), Beringher Composer Pro compressor, Alesis M-EQ 230, Beringher Ultramizer, and then a Beringher Crossover to maximize the "boom." I am running one floor monitor ( i hate singing without one), three SM58 and one Audio Technica UHF wireless mic. I know it may be overkill, but I like my stuff to sound better than good and I think my singers will appreciate it too. Might give me a bit of an edge over some of the other start-ups out there.

KingzAudio
New Albany, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:00 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Sounds like a nice basic system to me - no overkill! I would've went with something other than the Behringer processing, but that's just me!

I had some fun last week when I played through the band that was there for the week PA, 4 Peavey dual 18" subs (total 4 18"subs per side), 4 JBL 4732 dual 12" 3 way, & approx 10,000 watts for the mains/subs, 3 McCauley Stage monitors up front. Effects from Lexicon, Yamaha & Eventide, compressors from Symmetrix, dbx, eq's from TDM, 10 amps from Crest & Crown.
Now THAT is insanely overkill! But it sure sounded good, made me want more than what I use ;c) !

BTW your CS800 only is pushing 240 watts per channel into 8 ohms. If you are running the other mains on this amp, then you'll be pushing around 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile