KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - How many you NEED? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How many you NEED?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I joined a KJ review panel for a manufacturer a few months ago and part of the remit was to check how popular certain songs were!
I carry my discs in cardboard sleeves as opposed to jewel cases to save on space and I purchased a cheap date stamp and stamped each sleeve every time the disc was used.
Over 75% of my discs have not been out of their cases since I started in July!
Check it out!
The point to this, by the way, is that, given the availability of custom discs, I reckon I could run a VERY successful karaoke with about 300 tracks, assuming they were the right ones and, therefore, about 20 discs!

Comments please.

barry

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:42 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
You probably could run on 1,000 or less songs, but WHICH songs. Every crowd is different, songs lose popularity, songs you may absolutley HATE, may be the ones you need, etc....It's a double edged sword, you'll get cut if you delete songs because someone remembers you have it or may not gain that new customer that just came to your show for the first time & doesn't see the song & goes back to the club they know it's at, but if you don't delete songs then you are carrying 100's - 1,000's of songs you may not ever need ( but may need to gain those new customers in the future, or that private gig that would use you every time they have a party because your selection is JUST what they are looking for).

This happened to me one night, I still use the old Pioneer Lasers & have the old 300 series (UK Songs), well these never EVER get used, but one night we had a group of 10 from England come in & they found those discs in the book, EVERY disc got used that night & it's an annual trip for them so every summer I get a nice visit from some new friends from across the pond! I like that!
I do not delete songs & won't for that reason. It's a cool feeling when you hear a new person come in & say "Wow nobody has this!" & you gain a new customer.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Barry, I've been asked to be part of that same honored United Kingdom KJ panel. I've been dragging my feet a little bit. I want to do it but only if I can give a true input of what their outline asks for.

I most likely will accept.

As far as karaoke tracks, I have way over 10,000 and with my new additions section and unadded discs Its probably close to 14,000.

I really do see what you guys do as far as repeat requests. The only downside to this is party gigs where you have no idea what they will want, Cheers, BJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:57 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

While I don't have as much music as some folks (my library is right about 3500 and growing constantly) I still manage to have discs that rarely, if ever, come out of the cases.

HOWEVER, I do like it when someone comes in and sings one of those songs that never really gets played.

I'd say that 90% of my business comes from 10% of my songs, but it sure is nice when someone comes along and tells me I have a song they have never seen at karaoke before!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:46 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I agree with the concept that you'd only need a few. I have over 3,000 and my guess is probably only about 500 of those are used. The hardest thing would be to determine what 500 they are. Some get used every Karaoke, some get used one time a month or so. But if that one time a month keeps certain followers coming out to your shows, it makes it worth having.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:14 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

i go to a karaoke bar in manchester and they only have 200 songs and everyone has a great night,some of them trying songs they have never tried before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Barry ,
I think the 80/20 rule applies to almost every business.. It goes like this
80% of your "requests" mosy likely comes from 20% of your library
Think about it ....If your running a 4 hour karaoke show ,...Maybe at the most you can get 60 songs a night ?...MAYBE ..... If your carrying around a 10,000 song library like some people claim ..Thats 9,940 unused songs per night ....... WOW ..... It's good to have a large library for "bragging rights" and it does look good when trying to sell your show to a new client. But.....Sometimes it is OVERKILL .... I think every KJ needs the base "starter sets" of standards , oldies, country , rock ... But the NEW STUFF ....top 40's ..You can go crazy and broke trying to buy every new song out there... It seems most time now I buying a disc of 10-15 songs just for maybe one or two tracks on it ......
I run 2 shows a week and cater to my regulars ..I'll buy what they request anyttime.... If I move on to a NEW venue I'll most likley have differant requests and have to tailor my library differantly.... Bottom line
If I look at my book and list the songs that have been requested or sung more than 5 times...It's probably around 1500 titles only...SURE some obscure songs get requested once and awhile but .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:45 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Remember, it all depends on your crowd. I have a younger crowd (21-35) mostly. they sing all the new stuff, and part of the reason they come back, is because no one else in the area can or will keep as up to date as I am. Sometimes up to 1/2 the songs sung are new ones I've never heard of! I guess this might just be because of my crowd, but I think the new music is essential.

My $.02 for today

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:50 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I don't think a large library is necesarily overkill if it does what it's supposed to do. Like I said, I get several new singers per month because they found something in my book that no one else had. My collection consists of discs from the early 90's to today though & MANY of these earlier discs are discontinued so most KJ's of today can get them.
Your library is going to reflect your club, what works in one place may be totally wrong for another. I no longer buy the "new" stuff just to have it, I have many coasters because of that - Spice Girls were a prime example! These songs got sung for 2 weeks, now 2 years later I don't think i've played one since. I take requests & if the song gets heavily requested over a few weeks time, then i'll most likely pick it up. If the requests are for all new stuff, I get new stuff, if it's for country, I get country, etc.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lon
I don't mean every large library is overkill , It is great to have what NO ONE ELSE has ....I've been told a few times the same thing
"I can't believe you have this song" it's having a HUGE library that will differentiate (sp) kj's. But like db said It all depends on your individual crowds and what they like ...I too agree I mostly buy only the new songs that are requested ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:46 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

There are two KJ's in my area who have a friday night show at different venues. I know both KJ's. I like them both and I like the clubs their shows are at. I go to KJ #1's show because of a song I want. This will continue until I get my grubby little hands on the disk (currently backordered). Then I will probably alternate. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:10 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lonman, I couldn't agree with you more. I do keep up with a lot of the new stuff, simply because my crowd asks for it (although in my venues its mostly country-western). You do stay a step ahead of the competition by staying current, and people will remember that. As for the old stuff, I have followers that sing Sixteen Tons, Wabash Canonball, and things like that. For that matter, my wife and I close my Fri show with the old Roy Rogers and Dale Evans "Happy Trails" and its gotten to the point the crowd joins in on it and loves it. So, even though it may not need to be the biggest library, its hard to tell where overkill starts, especially if the singers want to sing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:45 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I've always stated there is no such thing as "filler" as long as SOMEONE sings it - and eventually that obscure song that never gets sung, just may get sung!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:54 am 

As a singer-only (at least right now) I never expect a KJ to have every song I can think of. And I've taken karaoke virgins with me to a club where they were intimidated - not by the other singers - but by the sheer volume of song selection. They could never decide what to sing because they always found another one just a bit better than the last.

I know if a KJ's selection covers 2500-4000 songs, then he/she has a great selection to choose from and that I'm bound to find one of my 100, or so, that sing. A selection of less than that tells me the KJ is new to the business, or doesn't care to keep up. If it's the latter, I don't go back. If it's the former, I'll ask what king of song collection growth they plan on.

Just my opinion.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:06 am 
think of this... being someone who intentionally who goes out and has sung alot of songs in karaoke.. I try to find songs i haven't sung before..
whether it be new, old or whatever, if a KJ has something different that is being sung, usually i'll sing it. that's just me. and usually it has to be proper for the club. now I like to (lately again) sing in private clubs that have karaoke it just seems to be a better place and the public shows are so political this time of the year. but aside from the BS in the business in of karaoke it just seems to be more of a challenge to me to find songs in a KJ's book that usually are not found in the standard 3000 - 5000 song selections and i have been singing for a heck of a long time folks! I think Ron can now add my name to his Surprizing singer's list.. LOL! :shock:
:P 8)