KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Audiences who don't clap at all, no matter how good the singer is. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Have you ever thought that a singer was better than the audiences applause indicated?
Poll ended at Mon May 21, 2007 5:20 pm
YES 48%  48%  [ 20 ]
YES 48%  48%  [ 20 ]
NO 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
NO 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 42
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:49 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Quote:
It's a funny thing applause. When people don't clap when I sing I don't think much of it personally, but when they hoot, hooler and go crazy I'm embarrassed. I never know what quite to do, but say thank you.

At least you don't do what I used to do,   which is to get all embarrassed and start dis'ing yourself  LMAO

compliments are TOUGH for many to take.  I never learned how to take them without getting embarrassed and feeling compelled to beat myself up

After many women and more mature people kept asking "don't you know how to shut the ___ up and just say "thank you" ?", I felt it best to just leave entertainment all together.  LMAO  If I can't dis my sorry butt, than I don't belong in such a setting  LMAO .  Thank you is so "tacky".

I don't believe I am worthy of applause, regardless of how well I do.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:55 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Been Liked: 0 time
Steven Kaplan @ Sat May 19, 2007 4:49 pm wrote:
Quote:
It's a funny thing applause. When people don't clap when I sing I don't think much of it personally, but when they hoot, hooler and go crazy I'm embarrassed. I never know what quite to do, but say thank you.

At least you don't do what I used to do,   which is to get all embarrassed and start dis'ing yourself  LMAO

compliments are TOUGH for many to take.  I never learned how to take them without getting embarrassed and feeling compelled to beat myself up

After many women and more mature people kept asking "don't you know how to shut the ___ up and just say "thank you" ?", I felt it best to just leave entertainment all together.  LMAO  If I can't dis my sorry butt, than I don't belong in such a setting  LMAO .  Thank you is so "tacky".

I don't believe I am worthy of applause, regardless of how well I do.

I know what you mean. It is hard for me to say thank you because I feel like I'm admitting I did something special. What makes us this way?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:57 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

In my case it was critical training and upbringing regarding the performing arts.  There was no such a thing in my day as "getting up and performing JUST for YOU to have fun".  WHen you performed the expectation was "be as close to perfect as one can be or get beat up".  I was trained in a drill sgt setting regarding music and performing.  You excel, or you don't get on stage"

Performing Arts weren't for the entertainers fun.  People went to see a performance for THEIR enjoyment, and that's what you as the performer catered to.  Being a performing artist was a HIGHLY cut-throat competitive area, AND a career.  Nothing less.  There was no such thing as Karaoke for entertainment in my days of conditioning.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:02 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I think mine is more I don't want people to think, I think I'm all that and a bag of chips. So how do you respond to a lot of applause when you yourself think your average? Most of the time I believe it is more song choice that gets the crowd excited than a perfect performance.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:14 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
So how do you respond to a lot of applause when you yourself think your average?

I don't have an answer to this because I am in this very same boat.  A "10" here is around average in the real entertainment industry (at best).

Quote:
Most of the time I believe it is more song choice that gets the crowd excited than a perfect performance.

This too of course.   Harry Chapin could rise from the grave and sing taxi, but would many today applaud in a 20 year old setting ?  Perhaps the one depressive left there crying, but I think most would clear out've the place in a NY minute.  It's ALL about "Setting".

James Taylors draw at "tanglewood' will be full of applause and lit matches at the end for ovation.   Even Bon Jovi in a "rap" loving urban setting will be boo'd for being a "boring old square that has no real message about life in the hip hop setting"

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:17 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Quote:
It's ALL about "Setting".

It doesn't hurt that it is a bar and msot people are drunk.  LMAO

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Which of course is advantageous for many, but I found playing bars for that very reason to be boring, and a pain in the butt...  I just learned that you performed because you were a performer (which meant fashion, presentation, and makeup ALL mattered).  There was nothing less.  Just the way I was trained, as a result it's not so easy to transcend the mindset, because to me, this makes sense given MY OWN preferences of the Performing Arts and what I wish to see in terms of quality of entertainment.

Really all this means is

Kappy <----- Konservative !

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
Really all this means is

Kappy <----- Konservative !

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !   Did anybody read what this clown just typed ?  A rock musician who grew up in the 60's and 70's and he says he's "Conservative",  This guy can't remember half of the 70's decade, and he's a "conservative"  LMAO  Thanks for the laugh "bubble-wrap"

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:13 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

How could this poll read as follows

95%  
4  %

That doesn't mathematically make sense.  There are only two questions.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:21 pm 
Remember as KJs primarily hosting in bars, taverns, saloons, and pubs, we're dealing with drunk people.  Drunks are defiant by nature, but that's not the reason they don't clap.  They're busy ... being drunk.  With all things, there's a zone.  In my shows it starts off slow, then hits about an hour where most people with get the applause, then dies off again as everyone starts passing out or making their way to the parking lot for a little somethin' somethin'.  Okay, maybe not, but their drunk and our hearing does become muddy when we're liquored.  

I have about 200 songs I sing.  I'm good with about 52 of them.  Sometimes I bring the house down and sometimes you could hear a pin drop.  Same thing for others.  I assume responsibility to keep the patrons connected to the show.  Because believe it or not most people come to a show to sing, not listen.  They'll also drink, smoke, chat, play pool and cruise chicks (or dudes).  

What I'm suggesting is, there's nothing to be done.  It's natural for crowds to come and go in spirit.  If a singer doesn't receive any applause I scold the crowd and priase the singer.; an appropriate balance.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:52 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

i know when i'm out at a karaoke club, and half in the bag. Everyone starts to sound a little better to me. So i applaud more. But mostly for the ladies, blondes, if they can sing or not...... :drool:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:58 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
if nobody claps, I as the KJ was on the mic yelling "CLAP you miserable SOBS!!! SHEESH!" It got to the point where it was expected, and everyone laughed at me!  :shock: Boy were they surprised to see I wasn't laughing back... so I started handing the mic out to folks that didn't normally sing, and told them to do it better... as much as I hated to huimilate the SOB it DID to the job I needed done!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:07 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

There ya go knight...that's the right idea.... :D

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:33 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Quote:
I'm not talking about me here. I am talking about people that I have heard sing that are incredible singers and not a peep from the audience do they get. Does anyone here think that maybe there is a difference in the audience at a bar that just happens to have karaoke on a given night of the week and the audience at an actual karaoke bar? Have any of you ever personally experienced no applause after you were sure you sang well?

Yes, I've have experienced the same deal...  Just remember, if you were in a bar that has repeat customers $$$ they also have repeat friends which will make a loud noise when their friends sing..
Now if this same venue has a karaoke contest, you should stay clear because it's already biased to the repeat customers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:17 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Quote:
if nobody claps, I as the KJ was on the mic yelling "CLAP you miserable SOBS!!!

People don't owe you anything, so they are not required to clap. They are their to enjoy themselves, and if they enjoy a singer and want to clap fine... if not, that should be fine too.

the KJ ought to have an applause track and be done with it...

Maybe have several applause tracks, and have fun with different tracks that represent different levels of appreciation.

Like, if the crowd is about half dead, then hollar "let's hear a big hand for the crowd here tonight"... and then play a track of a a crowd giving a mediocre response...

Numerous things could be done here... IF there were any KJs with a bit of imagination instead of wanting to be all belly achin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:02 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Why are all these old threads being resurrected? You are quoting a dead man RIP Matt!!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
It's weird, but in a neat way seeing Matt's old postings and pictures still here. It's almost like he never really died when I'm looking for an answer and start combing through old threads and something he said long ago still just hits the spot perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
6 YEARS later and Matt's words still resonate...wow!
:)
RIP Knightshow. Anybody know how Peaches is doing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
Welp, this thread really helps.. I googled "why people do not clap for the KJ" and this thread came up. It let's me know that I am not alone. I am always told by others that I am a great singer but find myself doubting it because I rarely sing at shows, then when I do, most time you can hear crickets chirping. Then someone who is off key sings, and the crowd goes wild. We all, as KJ's tend to tell horrible singers how great they are. Not that they need their ego fluffed as the worst singers have no problem with confidence on the mic. However, this phenomena tends to make me think that maybe I suck and just think I'm a good singer because people occasionally tell me that I am. But then again, if I were that horrible, my confidence level would most likely be much higher.. :oops: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
I love it when someone responds to,the older postings.
it's refreshing to see the joking and easygoing bantering,
that they shared back then! They also spoke of the more
human aspects of karaoke, that seem, to be brought to
light on these pages less frequently today, Though many
are gone, or have moved on to other interests, I salute &
thank them for the fun that they brought to the game. :2cents:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile