KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A neat Song Book tool I found online... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:12 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I found this web based Song Book Creator online and thought I'd share it with everyone here. You can make a book for 20 disks for free, and for $16 a month you can use it for all of your disks. There is a built in list of all the most common disks and you can even add disks that aren't in the list. It lets you make a song list by title and by artist. It's pretty neat. Anyhow, here's the link:

http://www.karaokebooks.com/index.asp

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:47 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I use excel, and it doesn't cost me a dime.

I'm thinking of using Chip's Speedbook. Version 2 now accepts .xls format.

Not bad for a onetime fee of $40!

A good friend of mine has her songbooks online in that format! check it out! http://www.pinkhouseproductions.com/songlist.html Courtesy of Tricia from Pinkhouse Productions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:47 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The advantage of the tool that Ladycentaur mentioned is that you only have to type in the disc make & number and the site does the rest for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:41 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Barry James wrote:
The advantage of the tool that Ladycentaur mentioned is that you only have to type in the disc make & number and the site does the rest for you!

Did you try it out? I thought it was pretty neat. I love the way you don't have to type out all the songs and how easy it is to update your book. It's great to be able to try the tool out before paying for it or buying the similar program. It doesn't require you to download any trials, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Yes, I have tried it out originally, as I have Airware, Karaoke Tools (Fasttracks) and a couple other "songbook" programs.

Like it was mentioned, these are FINE for people who are JUST STARTING a songbook. Many don't take into account one already done in Access or Excel. Speedbook and Fastrack are about the only ones I've seen that do.

The thing I like the best about hand-typing it all in, is you have a general feel for what songs you have. You've read it on the discs, typed it in, and proofread what you did. When people come up and ask if I have a certain song, I know pretty much what I have.... after almost 15,000 titles, that's saying a lot! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:18 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Well, the tool I linked to you only have to choose the disks you have once and set them up in your "main" book. After that, you just add new disks and either save the file to disk or print it out. It would be time consuming to enter the disks in the initial time, but after that it would be really quick and easy. I can't imagine hand typing out 15,000 songs. I'd have carpal tunnel by then! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

you're talking 6-7 years of being in business! LMAO!!

If someone were to buy a complete library, hell no would I do that. But most people that are starting out... yeah, I can see where this would be an advantage.

WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A WARNING, however.

Sometimes manufacturers reissue cdgs, because they lose the rights to certain songs. You might end up going by a list that may have some errors.

Before you print it out, definately cross check with the discs themselves.

Also, some discs have the wrong artists occasionally, or misspellings.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:07 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Soundchoice let's you download free software, where you enter the Soundchoice disks you have and then it exports all the songtitles, artists and disk locations for later treatment in Excel or even better (free!) the OpenOffice spreadsheet.

So, for the Soundchoice part of your collection it is very easy and free.

Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:58 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

knightshow, I found a couple of errors on one disk and it's really easy to adjust them. On another note, does anyone have and Supercore disks? If so, how do you like them? I bought the 2004 20 disk set on ebay a few days ago but don't have them yet. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I have the supercore set... when it was a 12 disc set. I believe in 2002.

As I have all the songs on the two new discs, it wasn't necessary to get them.

They are a collection of songs from various manufacturers: Pop Hits Today, Star Discs, etc.

Nothing wrong with them. Fine if you don't have the songs yet!

By the same token, did you see my post in the Ask Sammy Thread about the Pop Hits Monthlies "Classics"?? Well worth having, especially for a new collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:47 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I probably saw it, but I've been getting so much information that I don't remember. :oops:

The disks that I have right now that I've bought for my home player are made by Top Tunes, Priddis Entertainer Series, Priddis Pro Sound, Karaoke Party, Karaoke Bay, MTV and Party Tyme. For the most part, I like the songs. I have noticed that the duplicate songs that I have tend to sound different and have different lyrics than the other version I have and the version at karaoke shows. For instance, I have several Pink songs at home, and most of them are entirely different when I go out and sing, so much so that even when I know the song well, the version the KJ's have throw me a little off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

then take your discs with ya! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:43 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

knightshow wrote:
then take your discs with ya! LOL!

I do sometimes. :lol:

I've been practicing a few songs that I am going to take my disks for. The big two are "Beautiful" by Christina Aglieura (sp?) and "Only Hope" by Mandy Moore. Those ones have too much potential for me to really screw up if I get a crappy or totally different version of the song. I almost died when I did "You Make Me Sick" by Pink because my version is totally different! lol I didn't mess it up, but I was sweating bullets! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I have an edited song book, but I also have a master song list. I have three regulars that constantly want to look in there. Because like you, they have some home versions that they are more comfortable with.

Hey, I don't CARE! LOL! If they want to sing off what I consider a lesser version, go for it. Ultimately, the show is about the singer, and if they feel comfortable doing that, then great!!

I had a guy come up, terrific older fellow, who wanted to sing, but was absolutely defiant about singing to a version that has a lead singer on it already! I was baffled a bit. It really wasn't about confidence, or being able to see the words highlighting. He just didn't want to be the only one up there. It was his version of a duet! LOL! He was a big Elvis fan, so not only did I find four versions of songs that he could do, I also found an Elvis song on the "Original Hits Karaoke" that I can't remove the vocals on... and he loved it! LOL! Plus got to see the swinging hip king in action at the same time!!

Now the guy can't stop talking nice about me, and is bringing in a big crowd for my halloween gig. While what he's doing I don't consider "karaoke", I do see the benefit of lettin' the guy have fun... his version of it.

So just because a Sound Choice or Pioneer version may be better, it doesn't mean it's what you know best!!! Do what YOU DO BEST!! :)

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:53 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Actually, the versions I have are much, much better. The versions I don't like are Sweet Georgia Brown. They are alright if it's all you have, but I like the Top Tunes version far better. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:31 am 
Personally I have a great version of Music Books Deluxe.. unfortunately i wish they would refine a few things with it.. LIKE Make the cost alot less.. and update it more.

the last offering i saw was a year ago.. SCOOBY?? WHERE ARE YOU???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:27 am 

I used Music Book until last week when a friend talked me into trying FastTracks. They just came out with V2 and it blew me away. This thing ROCKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:55 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I use Music Book Deluxe and love it. Just started as I had been using my data base program when I lost my hard drive. Didn't have a current back up at the time. Had been wanting to go to MBD for a while and that made it a convenient time to do it. Sure was nice not having to type everything in. Also I like the reports formats available. Yea, it'd be nice if it didn't cost as much as it does, but still its pretty handy for the price. Also it didn't take long at all to figure it out. When I started cold (and I mean cold - never having used it before), it took less than half a day to replace an entire bood of 207 discs with 3090 titles. That in itself made it worth the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:00 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Sorry I sent that last post without finishing the thought. Out of the 3090 titles, I didn't have to type in one single record. They were all in the master listing. Also, I have discs that are as old as DK Encore series all the way through Pop Hits Monthly Nashville Oct 03. I was amazed at how easy it was to locate each disc etc. in the master list. At any rate, I'm impressed with it and will stick with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:59 am 
fastTracks & MBD both do the same things.. the only exceptions was i had to type in a few artists and songs with Fast tracks.. on the fully suscribed version. but the look was great on it.. I re-did the books one of my smaller arizona shows of 5,735 songs. and it look totally acceptable. but i still like my MBD better for the price. and MBD tool 1/3 the time..

and with me time is money..