KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Do teens sing karoake at a teen party?? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:38 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Also I am doing a teen/karoake halloween party this week and what has been your experience with teens singing?? WILL THEY???

What or where do I come up with a play list that they will like for the dj portion of the show?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:42 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Kids and teens love to sing.
Teens can be a little more shy than kids.
Approach them about singing. Don't wait for them to come to you. Go up to 2 or 3 of them that are talking to each other and get them to sing together. Tell them that you'll help if they get into trouble.
Once you get them started there will be no stoping them and little time for DJing.
As far as a play list for DJing is concerned, you can't go wrong with classic rock if you don't know what kind of rap or whatever is popular. If you can get a disk or two with some disco, you can add the better songs to the mix. Disco tracks like Boogie Nights, Play That Funky Music, and Turn The Beat Around, should fly. Try some Billy Idol. White Wedding, Rebel Yell, Mony Mony. Mix it up. Try some Van Halen, or some Aerosmith, or some AC/DC.
If you have a list of music that they'll like, you'll then have to come up with that music. If you're going to buy music, buy stuff that you like that they will like also.
Of course you don't wnat to do the obvious and have some of these kids bring thier own disks. Why play the music that they're buying for themselves to listen to?

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
boy do they!!! LOL!

Top forty! Get it. Love it. Learn it!!

I swear by the SC and Pop Hits Monthly releases!!

A "Best of" for 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 is in order!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:25 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
They take a little time to get up there, but once they start, they won't stop!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:38 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I've done some highschool graduation/end of school year parties - you'd be amazed! One word of caution, unlike some of us older types, be ready - a lot of them like music totally different than most of us are used to listening to - but that doesn't make it bad, just different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:49 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

We've just started approaching Clubs here on the Coast about doing a night just for Teens 11 -16 and so far the response has been very positive.
I mean Parents would rather have their kids attend a Karaoke/Music night than a Rave or Dance Party wouldn't they?
We've found that mostly the Teen Boys prefer to sing Eminem, Creed, Jet, Justin Timberlake and other boy bands. Girls prefer to try Pink, Shakira, Mya, Shania Twain, Britney etc.
Just win the teens over by telling them their are prizes for having a go as well as 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and give away something they might like, like posters, cd's, t-shirts. If you don't want to spend some of your own hard-earned money then approach the clubs to either buy them for you or add a bit extra into your asking price and buy the stuff yourself. By gaining a younger audience you'll soon be doing private parties and you'll have set down a future following a few years down the track.
Also mention to the clubs that whilst you are entertaining the teens their parents are spending money on the pokies or at their restaurants and that the happier their kids are then the happier everyone is in the long run.

Hope this has helped in some way, let me know what ya think.
***Alex*** :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:22 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I do a lot of teen parties - birthdays, confirmations, Jr. High dances, graduations, etc. Suggest having some current music, and for sure - Cha Cha Slide (live Platinum version) and other "standards" like YMCA.

Karaoke also popular - Eminem, Beyonce, Avril, Pink, etc. Most of the time, it seems like the girls sing more, but I did have one a few weeks ago where the guys were more into it - typical alternative rock. For my market, the heavy urban hasn't been big for karaoke, but it's good to have and play. I have kids in this age group and know the music pretty well. The kids may even just give you their own CDs and want to sing along with them - no problem (reduce the vocal when you can).

I always bring a "prize bucket" for those gigs - for their 1st karaoke song they can pick something out (dollar store stuff). I also like to bring along hula hoops for games - contests and the "thread the needle" thing. (play Beach Boys). Blow up guitars/saxes/etc. for an air guitar contest...Lots of fun - did one last night (combination - confirmation and parents anniversary, with lots of teens). Always relaxed environment, early hours, and absolute FUN!!! I keep my weekends open for these types of jobs between the weddings - great gigs. If you get into this thing, take out a subscription to ERG or Promo Only for current music. Pop Hits Monthly will suffice for the karaoke end.

Last edited by marty3 on Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:38 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

In my experience, teens love to sing, they just take a few minutes to get brave, and usually start in groups. They might love the new stuff....but I'm always surprised by the older, "classic" music they request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:11 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I play quite a few teen parties (I work as a teacher for my day job-and the kids know what I do on the side) post proms, etc and I have NEVER had a problem getting kids to sing. The one difference I have noticed between teens and "grownups" is that the teens will often want to sing in a group of six or seven at a time. This doesn't bother me a bit, but if you are at all squeamish about a throng of kids up there at once, you may want to reconsider!

I'm always amazed at some of the music selections. While a lot of the kids sing current/top 40 stuff, there are quite a few who must secretly sneak in and borrow mom and dad's CD's when they aren't looking!