KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What is the minimum someone would need to start out KJ-ing? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:37 am 
Hey folks ..
I bet you ANYTHING... if i got her the $1,000.00 DKM set at the normal deal.. and took her hand and went shopping at MY COST... which is quite lower than "Musician's Friend" she would still come out better than that!.. wanna try me??? I'm so sick of how you guys think you can do this better.. let her live and learn.... or my offer will stand.. she apparently knows what "Bang for the buck" is .. i'm sure she don't wanna don't play with attachable fans and is NOT electronical inclined like matt and I... let her decide.. and i'm sure she would like some quality.. not a trashy show..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:09 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Knightshow you crack me up!!!!!! How do you know what is in my cvas machine??? I have a huge mixture of discs. Not just Music maestro would love to see your show and hear your radio shack gear Ill bet it is a sight to behold

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:22 am 
Fasman ,
is it legal or Illegial??? i know some karaoke cavs files that some KJ's have been able to put in them is quite illegial.. according to CAVS-USA.. although there is alot of great chartbuster songs now available for cavs units.
just all i can say is if you are doing it DON'T GET CAUGHT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:47 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

My interest in the CAVS system isn't to "cheat". Although I'm sure there are plenty people doing that, or looking to. I really want to find out more about it because of the technology and convenience. You can buy DKK, Chartbuster, TopHits Monthly, and the Music Maestro everyone here seems to hate (lol). If I get the CAVS, which isn't a definite or even a probability at this point...I would buy one of the sets to go with it or just capture my own CDGs that I already have as well as whatever I buy. What I like about the technology is that you can capture all of the CDGs you own onto it, and access them without having to change disks, look through disks or carry the disks with you. You look at the number on the slip of paper, enter the code and in a second or two, bingo, the song is ready to be sung. I have no idea what the quality of the music is like, but you have to admit that the ability to NOT have to fiddle around with all the disks (or cart them around) is pretty darn enticing. Since it's a new system, I imagine the jury is still out on whether it lives up to it's sales pitch. That's what I'm here to find out.

Yes, there is a radioshack nearby, but frankly I don't foresee me looking for equipment there. Cables and wires, sure, but no electronics. I'd be more inclined to purchase equipment from companies who specialize in karaoke systems. As for speakers and what not, I would also look at what DJs and perhaps bands use. We do have a Best Buy and Electronic Superstore in the area, but cheap isn't usually best and I'm a pretty saavy shopper. I can't stand wasting money...another reason why I'm here asking instead of just going off by myself and screwing up. I don't mind spending the money, but I expect my money's worth, and I do include convenience to myself in how I perceive value. The main reason I'm interested in looking at ready to go systems is that I honestly don't know all the things I would need and I'd most likely miss something important and I don't want to do that. And Brian...if you lived in my area, I'd have already invited you over to take me window shopping. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:05 pm 
Lady,
unfortunately, with the state of karaoke..or even pro audio.. the best deals just are not at your neighborhood down the street retailer.. it does take an education and someone who is not going take you for a ride. although you may know the media .. and the small basics .. but it takes a pro to build the systems right to make sure that all the right piecrs are the "Right pieces" and not over- powered or under-powered and will sound appropriately when installed. and to also that it's connected properly to the system so that you don't burn up voice coils on speakers or any other components.... i tend not like hearing about the people i help when they come back to me for service after they blow up things based on thier mistakes so i like to make thier systems as "fool proof" as possible. so with a little instruction "almost" anyone can hook them up.. and "almost" nothing can go wrong with a mobile system unless it's intentintial. and when i'm done it speeds set up times by 10 minutes to 30 minures depending on the system size and how many people is involved.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:39 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Brian I bought my cavs after doing MUCH reseach into this odd little box. The company that I got it from has done it right and is actually a leader in the Karaoke biz. Not some chump off ebay. Think about it seriously if for the money you could assemble what you can with a cavs and if you didnt have the extensive library that you do what would be the smartest move? Sad thing is that this will also dilute the karaoke scene as even here in backwoods montana some bars are running their own and a crap show with crap sounds will be attended to some degree because of selection.

Also a note to anyone please dont misunderstand my tone I am not a trouble maker but I fail to see what makes some people think they are an expert. The true experts are readily seen by their advice, delivery and sincerity.

Post subject: Brian...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:54 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Oh, I agree completely with everything you've said. I want what is best for what I need, nothing that is less than I need or more than I need. Realistically, there just aren't many clubs in this area that are so big that I would need massive sound. The rooms wouldn't be huge, so if I go too big with sound it'd be way too much. A good estimate would be a bar that would hold up to 100 maybe 150 tops, and less than 100 people in most cases. At the same time, I want to be able to use the system at home and at parties held at people's houses. I'm going to want something that doesn't take up a lot of space, requires minimal set up time, and can work in the above environments. Maybe this will help people give me a better idea of what I should be looking at.

Fasman, could you tell me about the sound quality of the songs you capture from CDGs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:58 pm 
Fasman,
i'm in the audio iundustry,I did look at the cavs unit this summer at NAMM summer session 2003 in nashville.. i was not impressed.. i could do alot better, the nice "black box from the far east" has alot of people fooled... there is alot of restrictions to it.. alot of media restrictions..
I'll stick to dvd and CDG and my trusty laser and PC based stuff that i legally can do with it. and have premission and licenses to convert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:08 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Brian, I'm wondering if the biggest source of "unease" with the CAVS system might be it's potential to be used to get access to songs illegally. I don't think it is illegal to capture CDGs that you buy that are licensed. It's really no different than making backups of your own computer software that you have bought. Clearly downloading CDGs from the internet through sites like Limewire or Kaaza and putting them on the CAVS would be illegal. I think there's a clear difference between the two uses I described. Just like in any other situation, it all comes down to integrity and ethics. If the system works as it says it does, then clearly it has a lot of potential to be a great system. And if it's abused, it sucks for the ethical KJs operating using only licensed songs they paid for. I'm thinking it's the ethical issue that is the sore spot. Now let's say a KJ used the CAVS system and paid for every last song they use on it. Or better yet, let's say there was no way to cheat the licensing and get songs that are pirated. Would you like the system any better then? I just want to make sure that there isn't any bias towards CAVS just because of the ethical question. I hope you won't be offended as that's not my intention. Oh, and my last post was directed at you, in case you missed the Subject line...it's so tiny! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:33 pm 
Lady..
the question of ethics is definatly there.. but also the lack of real songs on the cavs system is also there too.. when i can go out and but legitmately any song on CDG or for that matter ANY song ever issued on any media for any price they name... and seek the legal license or permission to convert it to an usuable form from it's manufacturer or copyright holder for thier price for my convience. Notice i have only been rejected twice out of 41 occasions. not a bad record. the cavs system needs alot of refining to prevent un-ethical use until then i will not be for it's marketing. Although here in the US Karaoke is seen as a "Fun" activity.. in the Far East it's as deadly serious as it can be.. but some how they view our copyrights and music licensing laws as a joke.
but they love our dollar as much as most everybody else..

Also I never said you would be the one to use it un-ethically.. i'm just not a fan of the product because of it's limitations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Fasman wrote:
Knightshow you crack me up!!!!!! How do you know what is in my cvas machine??? I have a huge mixture of discs. Not just Music maestro would love to see your show and hear your radio shack gear Ill bet it is a sight to behold

Woah dude....

I was talking about what comes PRELOADED with the cavs. I had bought their player when the 10GB hdd was the big news back when. ANd I sampled the mp3gs...

DIDn't impress me!

And if you read what I said, the only thing I've gotten from Radio Shack is the microphones.

Matt **handing the man a chill pill **

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:04 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Understood, Brian. I'm curious what the limitations are that you are talking about, though. My kids like to play old Nintendo games online, which you download ROMS for. Although some people will download any ROMS, it's illegal to do so UNLESS you own the actual game, then it's not against the law to download the online ROM. I'm going on the assumption that if you have bought the CDGs yourself and have the actual disks, that it wouldn't be illegal to capture them on the CAVS system. That's what people with proper ethics are going to do. I don't agree with ripping anyone off, even the big companies who put out the disks. People put hard work into getting those songs out for people, and they should be paid for their work. I understand your concerns, most definitely. At the same time, if the CAVS system would serve my needs and save me from having to drag more things around, I've got to consider that as well. As long as it's legal to capture the disks you own the hard copies of and the sound quality is good, I don't want to shun the system just because some people might break the law with it or screw people over. So do you know about the laws regarding copying or otherwise saving the data of the disks you own the hard copy of? I'm thinking this is one of the most important questions, along with sound and how well the systems stand up to use. I'll definitely want the hard copies of the songs on CDG if I were to buy a CAVS system, just in case the system were to break and I had to use something else at some point. I like to plan ahead. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:08 pm 
I love where this post is going.. :lol:
Radio shack microphones... not to be mean radio shack microphones are not too bad sounding.. but i can destroy a Shure PG-58 although it's unlikely that I would use one when i can get a better quality Audix F-50 one for the EXACT same cost of a REAL SM-58 just like as you could if anybody knew where to get them without a discount right over the counter. and you can drop these all day. There are some great low end mica that actually sound awesome out there ya just gotta know where to look and how to buy them.. I think i need to do that KJ's Conference like MV has been talking to me about because apparently there is alot you folks need to learn about the pro market and how to get great deals in this market. If you saw some of my smaller systems, at first, then heard them.. you could see how it really happens..
it'a not all knowlege it's current low dollar products that are quite compatable and common knowlege..

That's why I consult.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:17 pm 
Lady,
there are specific song sets made for the cavs system
by certain manufacturers and are ONLY available through authorized CAVS USA Dealers.. although they are not inexpensive in the least, one advantage is they will always be there as a back up should you lose the programming. but too many KJ's around my area (this is why i'm not a fan of it) have abused the CAVS system and seem to add thier own songs to it without authorization. But I cannot tell you where to go and it for all purposes is your money. so therefore it is ultimately your decision.. I have been in Karaoke in one form or another since 1993. as well as live audio production if you wish to continue this you may e-mail me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:18 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

You know, I do have one local contact that might be able to hook me up with some decent equipment. He sells both new and used guitars, drums and sound systems for bands. He sets his prices so that he hardly makes any real profit at all. I know this because I compared his prices with the prices of a retail store that sells the same stuff and the retail was charging almost twice as much for the same things as this guy...and both were prices on brand new equipment. I completely forgot about the two places because it was quite awhile ago I bought my oldest son his guitar. I should probably go see the guy and find out what he has. He could very well have or be able to get everything I would need, and for about as cheap as I could hope to get things for. If I were to talk to him, what would I be looking for? Keep in mind this is a shop for bands, if that would make much difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:21 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Okay, thanks Brian. Just one more question for you, maybe two. :wink:

Is it legal to capture the disks you own if you didn't buy them from CAVS?
and how is the sound, is quality lost due to the capture? Anything beyond that, if I have a question, I'll e-mail you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:28 pm 
From the 2 Major Manufacturers that i have talked to about this issue say they consider it a licence violation. and also it would be considered a copyright violation therefore it would be illegial.. and they do not release thier CD+G material to CAVS the other 4 major companies do and can be purchased by CAVS USA dealers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:38 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Okay, if it wouldn't be legal for me to copy the disks I currently have, then I wouldn't want the CAVS Jukebox unless it also has the ability to play the actual CDGs that I have. If it can do that, and the sound quality isn't sacrificed, I might still consider it as an option, but not for capturing the disks I already have. I do have to admit that I really like the CAVS arcade jukebox. Have you ever seen that? It's like a video game and people pay to sing songs. It has a touch screen to select the songs and all that. I wouldn't mind having one of those at my house...lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:45 pm 
Lady,
I know alot about karaoke and pro audio, I DO go to alot of trade shows.. but admiditally that's one item I fall short of knowlege on.
I don't know know a single thing about it. :oops: and it was not an item shown at the Nashville trade show.
If it was I totally missed it, and I do not have thier catalog either. They were right next to Karaoke Warehouse's booth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:49 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Here's a link so you can check it out...

http://www.cavs-usa.com/jb-99rg.htm

I'd use it as a piggy bank! And with how much my kids and I sing karaoke, I'd have quite a nest egg built in no time! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next