KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What is the minimum someone would need to start out KJ-ing? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:57 pm 
lady,
it may be a good tip jar.. who knows?
or see if your bar/club likes it while you are off duty..
but keep your contract of course. just an idea.
who knows? like i said i know nothing about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:01 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
LadyC,
The point of my last post was that the system that you were talking about is a waste of at LEAST $700.
I know that you can afford to spend a little extra if you can get what you want in "one fell swoop", but can you afford to waste at LEAST $700 to buy inferior equipment?
They're not giving us any technical spscs. on the mixer amp for a reason.
$700-$1000 can buy you a lot of speaker.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:16 pm 
Kojak.. 700.00 is one side of a Mackie powered High/Mid pack for me at my cost.. retail would come in around somewhere at $1100.00 but usually i buy 4 of these at once. so the discount is there. and you can't beat the sound unless you were buying a set of JBL SR-x series and a dbx driverack crossover and Crest amplifiers.. anow the sound quality would go up but it takes someone expierenced to set it up and run a 4 box stack 3 ways in stereo and a good amount of electronics like that on the first try. and get it all right in 30 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:36 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
the cavs jukebox will play standard cdg discs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:40 pm 
knight
and it goes in your bar where you once did karaoke and replaces you as a kj and makes your bar money..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:13 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brian,
I just posted a new topic about the Passport P-250.
Im this post I talked about making recommendations.
One of the recommendations that I talked about was the SM-58.
You said that you could get a better quality Audix F-50 for the exact same price as a real SM-58.
Is this with a discount? If so what about the SM-58? Is the discounted Audix F-50 the same price as the SM-58 without a discount, or is it the same price as a discounted SM-58?
There may be better deals out there but if I don't know exactly what they are and how to get somebody a deal my recommendation remains the same.
Please go to P-250 and post your opinions. I need to hear them, especially if you are in compleate disagreement with me. How else am I supposed to learn and grow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:18 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

kojak...I don't need and won't be able to use too much "speaker". I live in a pretty rural area. The "clubs" around here are essentially small bars and taverns. I don't want to buy something too loud for what I need. I want enough sound, but not more than I need. I also want to be able to use whatever I get at home. That is something that really needs to be kept in mind when I buy items. Small town bars are much different than clubs you'd find near a city or highly populated area. Based on where you live, you could have more people living in your city than I do in my whole state. Because of that, I'm probably going to need considerably less powerful speakers than anyone doing this in an area with large clubs. I'm probably not going to get that particular system because I think I could get the same kind of set up for considerably less. I used it more as an example and to find out about the speficic equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:25 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Brian, that arcade karaoke CAVS machine would be for my house and party rentals. I can't imagine anyone putting it in their business because they probably wouldn't want people singing all the time. It could potentially replace a KJ, but it's unlikely. I don't think as many people would use it if they had to pay for singing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:13 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

LadyC,
The P-250 is only $600.
It's a 250 watt, (150wattX2), package.
This system is SO appropriate for you.
My system uses a 1200 watt amp.
My speakers weigh 65lbs. each.
I'm not sure about how much my audio rack weighs, but it weighs more than my speakers.
The P-250 is NOT more than you need.
You should have 33% more power than what you'll be using. This is called headroom.
Most KJs use about 100 watts per channel.
It's better to have a little more sound than what you need than not to have enough. You can always turn it down.
The P-250 is a PA and not a "karaoke" system. You will still need a Karaoke player and a TV.
2 mics are included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:48 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

kojak...I definitely don't want 65 lb speakers. I'm pretty small, just 5 foot nothing. The last thing I want is equipment that is too heavy and bulky for me to move around. I also don't have a truck. I have a roomy car with a big trunk and very big back seat. That's what I'd have to use to move the stuff around. How big and heavy is the system you're recommending?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:22 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Couple things there Lady, You'll have plenty of room to lug your stuff around as long as ya do it right. Sometimes I use my car, sometimes I use my El Camino (87 Elcamino with custom camper shell) and its perfect. I can see where you won't want 65 lb speakers. From lots of the web sites you can find common type venue speakers at about 45 lbs for full-sized ones. That may still be a little heavy, not sure. One thing for sure, you can take a good system and make it sound like crap with the wrong speakers. One thing I'd recommend if ya can is to take the speakers you're considering and hook them up to your system to see what they're gonna sound like. I have seen/heard speakers that sounded great in the showroom, but once you hooked them up to different equipment, they couldn't come close to the same sound. That's where the right mixer/amp/spkr combination is so important. Whatever you end up doing, best of luck to ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:53 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks Ron, I figured as much that you need to have the right combination to get the most of what you buy. That's why I'm asking all these questions. Ideally, I want the lightest and smallest possible equipment because I would most likely be doing all the lifting and what not by myself. Add snow and ice during the winter and if the stuff is too heavy and big I'm going to risk falling with it and wrecking it. (Another reason the CAVS has sounded so appealing to me...less to carry) If I'm going to be doing small places, I'm guessing there must be a way for me to avoid having to get huge speakers. There has to be something that is reasonably sized that sounds good available somewhere. Anyone know of anything that would fit my needs without being more than I could handle physically?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Peavey Impulse 100 speaker is what I started out with they have reasonably good sound and I still use them some. they weigh about 25lbs each, are smaller, and have 10" long throw subs in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Got a question which ties in with this topic and may be helpful to Lady, et al. Here goes:

Since I moved to the small town where I currently live, The KJ/DJs in the "Valley" are few (within about a 75 mile radius) but there are a lot of smaller (not tiny) towns and lounges. The KJs have more business than they can handle collectively as they are the only DJs also.

I know that's the case since I've heard several of the Lounge owners complain along the lines of "We can only get Karaoke once a month, or I can't get a DJ to work such and such a night.". I've also had at least one of the KJs tell me directly that he gets more business than he can handle and has to turn it away.

I would consider entering the field. I've got the prerequesite funds, a lot of time and a fair amount of knowledge about music, sound systems and human nature.

My problem is that I am physically unable to move the equipment in and out of venues or do the heavier setup work. I could leave the equipment in the truck (I own a truck already) and park it in my garage so I wouldn't need to unload.

Do any of you have any experience with making arrangements with club owners to help with the setup and removal, such as using one of their employees or themselves? Do you put it in the contract or just a handshake agreement, etc.

I know.... A lot of wind for such a simple question, but I've seen worse in my short tenure here. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:49 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Dr. D wrote:
Peavey Impulse 100 speaker is what I started out with they have reasonably good sound and I still use them some. they weigh about 25lbs each, are smaller, and have 10" long throw subs in them.

That would be a manageable size for me. I could deal with a little bigger, but would love to not have to. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:49 pm 
lady,
The place i sent you has the fender system at less that musician's friend i just looked at the new catalog.. but have never heard it personally. actually i think for the same price you could do a set of JBL Eon's or the behringer powered speakers and a yahama MG series mixers and do just as well for the money. like i said talk to whio I sent you to.. they can set up a real nice system for the money. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:56 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I'm saving that info Brian, and will get in touch with them when I'm ready to buy something. My only concern is that it will be too late for what you mentioned come February. Did you see the post I made about the guy I know in my area? I'm pretty sure he sells at the same kind of rate you describe. He sells at a price where he barely makes any profit at all. He only does it because he's a musician himself and wants to offer the locals a chance to get what they need to start out in music for the least amount of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:01 pm 
Lady
I'm sure they are not going anywhere .. and they will still have some great deals still.. It's not like they are going belly up any time soon...
these guys like to beat up on Musician's friend.. and do great by it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:37 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

LadyC,
The P-250 is the size of a large suitcase.
Musicans friend says that the system weighs 69 lbs, The hands on review says that it's 53lbs.
I helped my friends wife load it into the trunk of a small car.
I was on some strong chemo drugs at the time and was very weak.
I had just compleated a one year clinical trial taking double doses of pegulated interfuron, four days earlier, and was down to 101 lbs.
No problem we just picked it up and put in the trunk witn no effort.
If the whole unit is a little heavy for you, you can detach each speaker and and move each of the 3 pieces QUITE easily.
I need mobility, but I won't comprimise sound quality to get it.
Our friend Brian should check out one of these systems and then give you his opinion.
So should others.
That why I posted P-250 as a new topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:26 am 
Lady
I looked at them this morning and they should be right for a "Beginner".. But yet quite restrictive and does not leave you alot of options for additional equipment such as outboard equipment , mulitple players, in short you could max this system out in a year.
The good thing is it fills the need for the 100-200 person room. sound quality is fair to good... Just as long as you are not doing rap or Hip-hop music and dj-ing it. It doesn't have any sub to it.. but some lows.. but great for vocal lows. and the link I gave you does have it.. ans is killing the musician's friend.. and I talked with Ryan there, He personally had told me anyone I sent he will still cut a deal to for an actual system purchase.
Remember they just do only Pro-audio and DJ equipment. not karaoke Media or Machines.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next