KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - RACK CONFIGURATION Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RACK CONFIGURATION
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
So my voco-pro mixer is due back from repair today and I'm already thinking about buying the Mackie DFX12 to use as my MAIN mixer .
I've been reading alot of success stories with this mixer. My questions is this :?: If I reconfigure my rack setup and put in one rack
Jvc triple Drawer
Peavey Power Amp
A soon to be bought Compressor ( which I think I need)
Power conditioner to plug into

Even with the fans in the mixer Will this rack setup run too hot?
Would I be better off keeping my power amp seperate ?
Right now I usually keep it on the floor racked in the SKB ROTO ROLLER ?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:14 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I don't think having them in the same rack is a problem, however you MUST leave at least 1U space between the Amp and any other component. If you can, leave 2 spaces above and even one below the amp.

BTW, I could be wrong but I don't think the Mackie DFX12 has a cooling fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

:? OOPS I mean to say cooling fan in the power amp --But I think you answered my questions..If I have to leave 3 spaces for cooling I 'll have to keep the amp seperate as the rack would be too high then ... The only show i'm doing ( 2 shows wk) has me set up on a ledge/shelf and a 8-10 space rack would be too high to work with. I'll most likley keep the amp on the floor in a seperate case. THANKS FOR THE HELP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I put a drawer between my amps and the rest of the equipment, is is a 2 space, and hols a lot of incidentials i need for the show. also you might want to research the compressor thing. I bought one a couplea years ago, used it 2 weeks and took it out. I find the more crap you go through before the amp the more distortion it adds to the sound. I like pure sound. But that's me.

if you are using the pv line of amps it draws in the back amd blows out the front heat isnt a problem with the rest of the equipment. also keep the amps low you want the weight to the bottom of the system for stability

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:56 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
A compressor should be hooked up to the mics. You wouldn't want to put it on the overall mix unless it's for speaker protection only & even then you would set it to a limiter mode which keeps the level set at a certain point to protect from sudden spikes. A compressor on the mics will actually improve the sound if used properly.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

For a compressor I'm looking at the "dbx 266 xl" Now this gets hooked up to the mics only ? It's a 2 channel so 2 mics only ? I usually use only 2 singers mics anyway and a wireless annoucer mic that sometimes gets used for Gang Songs..... If i'm going to add a somic maximizer/enhancer to my system I was looking at the "BBE 362" Now I'm a little confused ...
The enhancer goes on the MUSIC only right? ...

So my rack would go like this: (10 space top / 6 space rack)
Mixer on slanted top
Compressor
Enhancer
Power Conditioner
JVC Triple Tray

Power amp separate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

(see below) Loneman has it nailed.

Last edited by EElvis on Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

The Sonic Maximizer is not a crossover, it is a phase & amplitude aligner. BASICALLY, it takes the signal from your mixer & "realigns" the frequencies so they project better out of your speakers. For a better understanding on exactly what the Sonic Maximizer does http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE%5FHDS/ You can use it on vocals only, music only or the entire mix. I use mine on the entire mix.

The Peavey Kosmos is nothing like the BBE as it is more of a sound spatializer. It "creates" low frequency sound by analizing the original signal & generates a low harmonic frequency 1 octave below the original. It also has a stereo imaging feature which can give the illusion of a bigger sound. This unit also has a built in subwoofer output so it DOES kind of work like a crossover in the respect you can send your sub amp it's own sub frequency.
A crossover takes one signal & divides it into separate frequency signals so that particular frequency can be amplified. Crossovers can come in different configuartions as 2 way - splitting high & low frequencies, 3 way, dividing high, mid & low frequencies, 4 way dividing high, high mid, low mid, low frequencies. [/url]

The dbx 266XL compressor is a nice entry level unit. It will sound better than the stuff under it's price while still not breaking your budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When I was looking for the BBE 362, they told me it was did the same thing. So I got the peavey to match the rest of my gear.

Loneman,
Would it add anything to my system sound to add the 362 while using the Kosmos. Do you think the 362 puts out a superior effect? I am happy with the sound of my Kosmos, but always looking to enhance. I do Know when I switch the Kosmos out of line it sounds nowhere as good as it does with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

You wouldn't add anything by running them together. They ultimately enhance the sound, but while one does it more naturally, they other generates signals that aren't really there. I prefer the BBE just because of it's simplicity: Lo Contour & Presence! If I had the gear that I really wanted, I wouldn't need either. But you definately wouldn't want to use them together, I don't see any added benefit.

BTW, I do have to amend my statement about the 362 being a crossover. I forgot that they made a 362SW model that did utilize a sub out. This may have been what you were looking at.