KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What is the BEST Karaoke CDG Brand? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
TopherM @ Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:27 am wrote:
It seems like Chartbuster normalizes all of their tracks and gives each instrument the same presence in each track.

I think that is what takes the edge away from their rock tracks, as they don't put any emphasis on heavy guitar hooks or drums in the mix which really takes away from the energy of the songs.

This must be what  I sense as a "fuller instrumentation". I find a lot of the Chartbuster tracks easier to sing to for that reason.

With regard to the rock tracks, SoundChoice has a couple of kick-butt guitarists that work (or have worked) for them. The guitar on tracks like "Ramblin' Man" is simply top-notch. I never notice work like that on Chartbuster.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
TTowntenor @ Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:39 am wrote:
Sound Choice for the most part on all genres.  Chartbuster for most country, Pop Hits & Top Hits Monthly for newer pop/rock/country.  Heard some Zoom, they seem pretty good.

I never went for the SC hype.  Zoom and Chartbuster, and I'm beginning to see some really good stuff from Radio Starz

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:47 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JoeChartreuse @ Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:45 am wrote:
Sound Choice for the most part on all genres.  Chartbuster for most country, Pop Hits & Top Hits Monthly for newer pop/rock/country.  Heard some Zoom, they seem pretty good.

I never went for the SC hype.  Zoom and Chartbuster, and I'm beginning to see some really good stuff from Radio Starz

Not sure what you mean by hype?  They produce very good tracks & have from the beginning, no not every track is perfect (no company can claim that), but if you were to have to make a blind choice between SC & others, you can ALMOST be assured at the quality - they were among the most expensive for a while, but now they are right in line with all the other brands..  Zoom is relatively new to the states, I concur are pretty good - pretty bass heavy on a lot of tracks, but nothing a quick fix with an eq adjustment.  Chartbuster great country, but lack on the rest.  Radio Starz - ok tracks but very limited selection with only 25 discs produced since 2000.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Lonman @ Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:47 pm wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:45 am wrote:

Not sure what you mean by hype?  They produce very good tracks & have from the beginning, no not every track is perfect (no company can claim that), ........  Radio Starz - ok tracks but very limited selection with only 25 discs produced since 2000.

I agree that SC makes a quality product and don't knock the brand. I just find too many out there touting them as the greatest thing since  the wheel (The hype). I, and many of my patrons, don't think of them as GREAT, and consider them way overpriced. SC must be starting to agree, as they are now dropping their prices dramatically.

All I meant was that I have found that their quality can be easily matched at more reasonable pricing in most, but not all cases. If I find that they have what I believe to be the top version of a song, then I am willing to pay for it.  I will not, however, pay a premium price for a disc just because it bears SC's label, and I certainly won't by them by the set- Too many clinkers an an assortment that large for the premium price....

Either way, at the risk of repetition, customer preference is the "best" version.  I work in one venue where the local group swears by Legends and Top Hits Monthly. To them, THEY are the #1 and #2 quality, with Music Maestro in third position.  Not my choice, but the customer is always right......

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
don't know what you mean that they're overpriced... they're the same price as their competition nowadays!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
legends and sunfly are one and the same, they are midi based and not great in my opinion, MM are also midi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:42 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

MorganLeFey @ Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:57 pm wrote:
legends and sunfly are one and the same, they are midi based and not great in my opinion, MM are also midi

FULLY agree!  :wave:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I just had to go have a cold shower and slap myself before coming back and checking... :shock: ... we are in agreement Lonnie???

<<<runs and jumps in Lonman's lap and licks his left elbow  :wave:  :need hug:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Back a few years, I subscribed to "Stream Karaoke", which was a great way to sample tracks from various manufacturers.  It was totally apparent that Sound Choice was far better quality than the other brands, although that wasn't true for all of the songs I sampled.  

It's a shame that some of the guys producing the "professional backing tracks" don't turn out CDGs... but then I guess their prices would be way too high for karaoke!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:21 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

MorganLeFey @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:21 am wrote:
I just had to go have a cold shower and slap myself before coming back and checking... :shock: ... we are in agreement Lonnie???

LMAO Yeah it bound to happen someday!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:23 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Murrlyn @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:19 am wrote:
Back a few years, I subscribed to "Stream Karaoke", which was a great way to sample tracks from various manufacturers.  It was totally apparent that Sound Choice was far better quality than the other brands, although that wasn't true for all of the songs I sampled.  

It's a shame that some of the guys producing the "professional backing tracks" don't turn out CDGs... but then I guess their prices would be way too high for karaoke!

Professional backing tracks can be turned into karaoke cdg's with a little work & a karaoke maker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:23 pm wrote:
Professional backing tracks can be turned into karaoke cdg's with a little work & a karaoke maker.

Yes, I have done this with www.singingstation.com. Alas, they don't seem to be updating their song list very fast any more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:44 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

mckyj57 @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:40 am wrote:

Yes, I have done this with www.singingstation.com. Alas, they don't seem to be updating their song list very fast any more.

Apparantly you have to be a member or know the user name & password to view that page.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:44 pm wrote:
mckyj57 @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:40 am wrote:

Apparantly you have to be a member or know the user name & password to view that page.

Then probably that means they have gone out of business, and are just making the tracks available to purchasers like myself. They have a message up that says they are "working on new features", but we will see.

To give you an idea of what they had, from something I know about, they have 43 George Strait tracks. Many of them are as good or better than any of the Chartbuster and SoundChoice equivalents I have. They all are higher quality than the bad brands.

They provide downloadable MP3 backing tracks, usually with background vocals. Price is anywhere from $1-$2.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:21 am wrote:
MorganLeFey @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:21 am wrote:

LMAO Yeah it bound to happen someday!!!!

ooohhh another first, you smiled benevolently at me  :hi5: dayum I'm on a roll  :dancin:  :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:54 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Lonman, the Singing Station link in mckyj57's post was a little off somehow. There's an extra character in the URL he posted. I've seen this a lot - totally not his fault. Try this:

http://www.singingstation.com/

The page should come up for you OK.