KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Variety..The Spice of Life!? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I pose this question for discussion...Is a complete night of JUST karaoke ...hurting the karaoke (KJ) businesss? I've been reading many posts of bars offering less and less money to karaoke and more and more venues "not making enough money" to keep karaoke going so they look for alternative revenue makers.... I would say generally speaking on any ones given "karaoke night" there are many patrons their that do not sing at all....So what keeps them happy? ....Regular Music? Dance Music? .....Drink Specials ....Trivia games?---How can a KJ keep all the customers HAPPY and Entertained so they want to keep coming back every week and at the same time keep the "karaoke" customers not looking else where to sing ? Is mixing up the night a BAD thing?
If a KJ / Entertainer would offer MORE than JUST Karaoke ...Could they increase the amount of $$$ willing to be paid and at the same time keep everyone doing what they truly love ...Sing and Entertain (and of course make some money) It is a BUSINESS.... Change is the only constant in business ... Maybe a KJ is evolving into an overall entertainer and player of music & games...Keeping everyone singing laughing and happy... :)

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Well Actually!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have a dj gig I do on friday nights that has slowly evolved into a 50-50 karaoke show. I use the same equipment for both types of shows, and started adding karaoke to the dj bit just to break it up. Entertainment is the name of the game, if they want karaoke, dance music, rap or whatever. it all pays the same. Being versatile will keep you in business. Sometimes I will wear an elvis suit, or bring a guitar and/or keyboard and play some live with karaoke. if it entertains the patrons, keeps 'em drinking and coming back that is all that matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:36 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Dr. D my point exactly.... It will be the customers who will determine in the long run who will be succesfull. Karaoke is my MAIN BUSNIESS AND LOVE but I' m realizing that you have to please everyone ...... If the crowd is 100% Karaoke then that's what they will get ! .... I think even if its KARAOKE NIGHT we have to be a little flexable...NOT TOO much but just enough to keep everyone smiling and drinking and having a great time !!!!
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

My feeling is Karaoke alone can be enough. A lot of times (at more than one place I do) there are a number of regulars that sit at the bar and spend money all night just to listen to the karaoke. If its fun and the atmosphere is right, they'll stick around even though they can't or won't sing. The key is that they must be enjoying it. Sometimes I get tired of the same old songs, so don't do one of my regular numbers. One night on such an occasion one of the regulars that always just sits at the bar hit me up to sing a particular song. I had to change my mind and go ahead and do it as I found out this guy sits there and wants to hear certain numbers. Turns out the one I was getting tired of was one of his favorites, and one reason he keeps coming back. I have others that never get up and sing, but usually will dance a number of times during the show. I always encourage that as it makes the singers feel better also. I'd be concerned that if I "shared" the night with a band, DJ, etc., the price for the karaoke would go down anyway because the venue isn't going to put out $150 for a karaoke, then another $250-$350 for a band on the same night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:09 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

To quote the immortal line : "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!"
You just got to play it by ear!
As also do the occasional disco I carry a large CD collection with me anyway and can, if necessary, swop between KJ at DJ at will!
I don't particularly like doing it but there are occassions when it's a must!
Go with the flow and give the audience what they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:49 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

One of the coolest things I've been involved with was a Karaoke/mechanincal bull ride night at a local bar. It was a much better idea than I thought it would be going into it. The bull pit was at the base of the stage, and we had a lot of fun singing all the cowboy themed songs we could think of. The show lasted 6 hours, and we were handsomly rewarded, as was the bull driver, I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just did a gig this weekend where the bar owner required no dead air. and hired a dj to play in between my karaoke. Actually it went real well. 4 hr show lasted 7 hours and all had fun. it wasnt as bad a night mare as i had figured it to be. But I taught the bar owner a few things, I dj'd in between songs with media player (i am running a computer karaoke system), and saved the price of the dj for the last 3 hours. will be back next week for another show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:36 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Ron.
I'd never suggest sharing the night with a DJ...But if the venue is looking for some DJ/dance music along with the Karaoke ..I think it would be in the interest of KJ's to be able to handle both.... My feelings it could only assist with your overall performance. I would think most KJ probaly have "filler" music anyway. I just think that the KJ's who will survive in the future and be able to demand TOP $$$ are the ones who will be able to offer not only a TOP NOTCH karaoke show but something extra too... Maybe dance music ...maybe fun and games ...Trvia... light shows etc....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:08 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

JAMKARAOKE, Whoops, I misread ya. You're absolutely right. I do carry dance music with me. Don't normally play it volunteerily unless its something unusual. I don't like to play dance music while I have singers waiting to sing. However, if people start requesting it, I'll oblige, as long as I don't have a long list of singers. Even if I do, I'll play a dance song every now and then if they want, but not an entire set. I try to be flexible enough to grant the crowd what they want. Also, one thing we do sometimes on slower nights is a round of "Kamakaze". I put all singers names in a hat, draw them out (which determines the order). Then one person picks a disc number, another picks a track on that disc, then either the person sings the song that comes up or buys a round for the singers. Never yet have had a snger buy the round - they'll sing the song even if they don't have a clue. It sure speeds up a slow night and gets a lot of laughs and fun! Sometimes singers even get a new addition to their song list that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:14 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

The place I sing at on Friday nights is a relatively long night for the suburbs (8-12) so the KJ is really good at feeling out the crowd. It's not really a karaoke only crowd, plus it is all ages, so they tend to get a little bored when it's just singer after singer after singer. To minimize dead air while changing discs she puts on music between singers, and if the crowd seems to be really into it, dancing and stuff, she will let the song play out instead of fading out when the disc is ready to go. But she's also fair to the singers in the rotation, because they know that almost everyone gets to go up at least twice if they want to there and it's ok not to waste too much time when it's karaoke night, since it only happens once a week there. You have to know your audience. She does. That's why she rules so much and people always pack her shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:54 pm 

Hi, I'm Rosalie. I've been in this business for 8 years and in the beginning just karaoke was fine. We have the best and largest selection in our area. I also carry a wide variety dj music, but even that doesn't seem to be enought. There are so many people getting into this business in our area that we need something to set us apart from the crowd. I've tried Krazy Kontests like pantie flings (not as bad as it sounds) different non karaoke contests. I've tried the disco lights, recording on cd. I've added animated videos to my dance music, but it just doesn't seem to be enough. I'm now going to try a talent night which will include karaoke, but will also include open mic. Songwriters can come in and sing their own songs, comedians can do 3 1/2 minute sets and we're even going to let people take their turn at the mic as the dj. I just hope this works. Advertising is a problem too. KJ's don't get paid too much in this area. With so many doing it out here, we only get $100.00 a night, more for private parties, but if you ask for more than that, you get underbid by someone else. Doesn't leave a whole lot left over for advertising. We have 2 systems and everyone says they are the best in the area. We have 9,200+ songs on one system and 5,800+ on the other. If anyone has any advise or suggestions, I would really apprecitate them. :P[url][/url][url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:08 pm 
I can tell you this.. albuquerque sports an "All Karaoke" show that is in an hotel that has some of the Most talented singers i have ever heard in my life who are NOT pros. and the rotation somehow mimics a slow night in a bar i saw in minneapolis this last summer.. somewhere around 1 and a half hours. :shock: it's a great sight to see shows like this coming back and the quality of karaoke being returned to a city which i thought it was totally lose.. actually this KJ has always had it.. and the singers have found him. it's that time of year where the singers are going from show to show and sorting the winners from the losers.. i'm sure they will have thier minds made up by january. i have been here for 6 years now and it seems like an annual pilgramage of college students about this time of year and drooage.. as well as those seeking new forms of entertainment and clubs. It wouldn't surprize me if a new show came out top this year.. out of the usual or unusual suspects.. right now it's like A tv ratings sweeps alot of shows are putting on thier best window dressings.. to draw singers.. Right now nothing new would suprizeme.. $500.00 -$1,000.00 halloween costume contests??? clubs will definally throw money away to draw people right now.. :shock: