KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Vote On New Options ATTN: PHILL Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Should we add any of these features to the SS?
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 140
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Oh & I meant to say Im NOT an internet fighter, Ive been here long enough for people to KNOW that about me. "I" didnt WANT things to become the way they did. "I" did address my 1st thread on the matter to ADMIN remember ??? "I" did want to get peoples HONEST opinions on the matter of # of listens/comments & how another person could accuse someone of listening more than he/she said they did without naming a particular person. AND to try to rectify the whole STUPID situation by asking if there was a way to tell how many times & who listened. "I" wasnt the one sooo upset about it ..."I" was the one upset about being accused in a public viewing INSTAED of a pm mind you.

OK OK IM DONE ! I SWEAR !! BACK ON TOPIC NOW !! .....

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:31 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
LMAO  

Yep,  I added something onto this.  BUT,  my point is about the filthiest fighting I've seen has been type in chatrooms.  Strange but true.  Almost why I use my self-deprecating humor,  because in a sense I'm beating others to the punch.  Alot hurts in these rooms when people spend hours a day everyday.. WE ALL get hurt, and feel it becomes tough to trust others.. I do too.   I'm  not beyond admitting that.

All I'm saying in a long-winded manner, is EVERYBODY must know that what they say likely will be used against them to "get their goat" if such a situation can make them appear of feel vulnerable. Stuff will come up in an internet fight at some point down the line, and get thrown in their face.  Collectively I don't think internet large venues are nice places at all because collectively they become impersonal and often pack driven mentality, more of a group mentality, and what doesn't make this any better is the fact that there are no features you look into when addressing another individual, just type on a monitor, no eyes, no visible soul into the person.. so often there's depersonalization.  

Many forget there are people on the other end of a computer... THIS makes Critique tough too of course...

As for ignoring, I know it doesn't work.  Believe me  LMAO   It's about as easy to curtail as road-rage.  QUite honestly a lot of what goes on in these forums IS road-rage... People flip one-another off sitting in the comfort of their living room while driving down the internet...  similar dynamic..

As to abuse though, we shouldn't have to deal with abuse at all.  I don't think we would ever be expected to.  Same with ongoing ad hom commentary in comment boxes.  Camouflaged bashing is a popular means people use of getting under others skin, but most mods and administrators KNOW about this method..  nobody should have to take nasty inuendo.  Abuse is abuse..  Not allowed..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Steven, how were you able to determine numerically that most SS members agreed with your earlier proposal?  Isn't this the kind of positive evidence of support that you want us to obtain?

As far as the polls, one Mod did give his approval.  My questions were very basic and fundamental on purpose in order to get some sense of what people were thinking.  Like I've said several times already, the administration was asked if they would consider making some format changes based on what most people appeared to want.  They said that they would review whatever we proposed.  Probably I should have asked in detail just what kind of changes they would most likely accept.

My original thread was more of a fact finding mission.  I was asking you "old timers" just how changes were made in the past since there doesn't seem to be any existing blueprint on the subject.  You just indicated that you authored a change in the past.  The knowledge of how you accomplished that change could have come in handy earlier in these discussions.  Maybe you should consider writing the Official SS Do's And Don'ts manual with a chapter on how to propose a change. (Of course have it administration approved first).  :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

It's kind of fun debating with Steven!  The old SNL take-off on Point Counterpoint
with Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin comes to mind.  I keep expecting Steven to say "Odie, you ignorant sl*t"!  LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Steven wrote:
You started polls up immediately, and the polls weren't well constructed.  You had about 3 or 4 going at once.. I personally think that's goofy, and to be honest it appeared babyish.  

I'm sorry you feel that way Steven.  A group of us were in one of the threads discussing all the ongoing crap happening here...it was suggested that a poll be started and I volunteered to start the first one.   The polls were started just for what YOU are saying, which is to get EVERYONE'S input as to how they feel about changing things.  ONE OF THE OPTIONS IS: LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE.  

Incidentally, have YOU voted yet?????  :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:20 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
Steven, how were you able to determine numerically that most SS members agreed with your earlier proposal?  Isn't this the kind of positive evidence of support that

you want us to obtain?

Don, what did I state..READ !

Quote:
when I say "pushed it through", a better phrasing would've been that I came up with the idea and most agreed as did PHiLL (aka webguru) at that time. It was more involved but also the argument for implementing it was more compelling as to why that particular situation shouldn't be (Critique and comments available to whole world).  Remember NOT everything needs to go to poll, in actuality NOTHING does. But if necessary let the administration decide there needs to be a poll. If an idea is something feasible ADMINISTRATION or mods will initiate the poll, or make the switch regardless.

As I said before,  first get the interest, THEN have an organized presentation, you guys are doing this so inefficiently it's ludicrous.  Did you SPECIFICALLY ask administration why they wish for the current Critique, Comment, and Listen format in Singer's Showcase ?  If the problem is abuse,  these are NOT answers.  Dealing with :abuse: requires no change since abuse isn't allowed.  If it's some moderation a few request in the SS site ASK FOR THAT... Before you try to get polls such as this FIND OUT if others in the site agree this will solve anything.  I PM'd Russ, and one or two others inviting them in here. If there's a genuine problem, I don't think it needs to be broached via Poll..

While I did agree that notifying and involving all, or at least giving all a chance to participate in whatever you opt for, I do feel, and have felt that THIS is a half-a((ed way to go about getting what you are attempting to achieve, I believe it solves NOTHING, just creates more trouble that ultimately needs MODERATION, and that can open Pandora's box ... As stated, some are having fun in THEIR world, and many are sick of this "altercation stuff", and Poll A, about POLL B---->redundant POLL C-----> most may very well feel... GROW UP FOLKS,  we want nothing to do with a problem that starts with a few that take our fun site too intensely, or 7 of you in a clique that opt not to get along, or "you folks are the problem, NOT our site"..  Some even feel they've been in SS for 4 years, and while stuff has happened,  IT ALWAYS WILL... They deal with it,  learn from it, harden, and grow... Welcome to the competitive nasty world..

Now, about the poll  (on THIS thread)

I voted in one or two of the polls Luly,  I suppose this is the one I didn't vote in yet, (or did I ??) I thought the options weren't reasonable, and the three or-so spontaneous threads of polls were really poorly constructed.  LOL .   but in retrospect, I thought I DID vote ??  Just because I didn't divulge what I voted, doesn't mean  I didn't vote.  Or did I :shock:   (only my mouse knows for sure)
I thought I voted to "Leave things as they are"...  Personally all I want is to see Critique axed and put elsewhere...(I can be bitchy and stubborn like this)

I do love all you folks, but I think this is a half-assed poll. First of all.  I don't really think most want excessive moderation in SS, and allow others to apply selective
censorship, and out've context decision making removing CERTAIN comments leaving others.  This is the making of war.. Who has the background, desire, and education to determine that your well thought out Critique is abusive because some BABY of a person pushes a button claiming there's some esoteric inference about his grandmother (the serial killer) in a post (that doesn't suit his wishes) so he manipulates a mod into what turns out to be "selective censorship". And everybody starts PM'ing and EMailing that the moderating team is unfair and biased...

In the newspaper reviews do actors and actresses get to push buttons when critics haze them removing comments ?  You are asking for a police state where the ultimate decision goes to a moderator that likely is NO better qualified than you or I to deliniate between "Legit Critique"  "Legit Comment"  "Not very nice comment " "Inapropriate Critique", etc...  NOBODY can decide this and remain impartial in such a setting,  fact is even the mods in here have their roots and know who's whom too...

In a nutshell,  "REPORT ABUSE or INAPPROPRIATE POST" as an option has ALWAYS existed..  Copy--->Paste--->Mail to administration.  If something is totally wrong,

you have ALWAYS had the option of reporting it.. You don't need buttons in there because chances are VERY likely your room enemies will also be able to set you up and push others buttons..and there are MANY ways to "push buttons" on such a site, why give trigger finger folks more ?

OK regarding "delete comment"..    In classes do you determine who has the write to review your work out've a whole class ?   If a person goes in front of a panel of judges or reviewers does the person get to pick who can and can't review them ?  In court does a person on the stand get to pick and choose his jury ?   It's another source of people trying EVEN harder to get your goat in ANOTHER way if they are so determined to stalk you.  It'll be more trouble here on the bboards about "sore sportsmanship", Instead people should DEAL with those they can't stand by being resourceful, but this is going to be a source of MORE trouble.  It's a lousy patch for an underlying problem that adults should deal with on their own..  If a person keeps posting when it's clear their motive is to harass you, REPORT THE POST to administration, OR post in L for awhile, and agree to ignore one-another..  THIS feature too is a round-about means of stating,  "We need some amount of moderation in SS".  THAT should be the request since some aren't able to moderate themselves.. Deleting peoples posts is going to fuel fires.. and end up needing moderation anyway to cap this stuff...
*my opinion*  there's always fallout from this stuff,  I've been in rooms where you DO have the option to ignore a person,  and in such a case a pest on ignore will find ALL other options to get to the person that's whited them out.. It's the nature of the babyish beast in these sites..

Regarding "All three features",   Heck,  Why should they go hand in hand assuming I don't think any of them do much good.

regarding leave things as they currently are ?    Well YES..  For those that are happy, because the quickest change IMO not affecting some, I believe is to form another Singer's Showcase site that does show respect for the Critique feature, Comment feature, AND MATURITY is required !

Just my 99 cents

EVERYBODY however must be contacted in such a means ASSUMING this is what administration says should be done to elicit change (this is where I mentioned bullets as presentation)... But that's NEVER easy, and can't be unorganized poll format when most abandoned these bboards, or want little to do with them.  Do MOST in SS read these bboards, or care to because a few of YOU folks mention something to them ??

Mail them ALL a SHORT summary listing ONLY a few points, (bullet format), AND this MUST be concise and a VERY logical realistic solution whatever you pose.  Mail thoughts to ALL and see how they respond..These types polls won't do it..

Best bet, present a REAL compelling situation to Administration and let them do as they please.  In order for this to appear compelling you have to have enough interest obviously... It appears you might not... Hence it may not be that compelling an argument...    Ask administration if they would be willing to address the problem ON THE BOARDS.. maybe they will accomodate THAT, perhaps they know what's going on, and have their own idea of how this SHOULD be dealt with. Get what you can from administration first before going on a wild goose chase like this.. Ask them how to deal with this, will they discuss this problem with all interested EVEN if all aren't many of you...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:37 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
I keep expecting Steven to say "Odie, you ignorant sl*t"!  

That was the Rolling Stone episode.  Was it "Keef you )))  slut" ?  That was funny ! I think whoever the character playing Jagger was made that statement.

What horrid typos and sentence structure I've been having lately
:no:   Time to take a break and TGIF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Steven wrote:
As I said before,  first get the interest, THEN have an organized presentation, you guys are doing this so inefficiently it's ludicrous.  Did you SPECIFICALLY ask administration why they wish for the current Critique, Comment, and Listen format in Singer's Showcase ?  If the problem is abuse,  these are NOT answers.  Dealing with :abuse: requires no change since abuse isn't allowed.  If it's some moderation a few request in the SS site ASK FOR THAT... Before you try to get polls such as this FIND OUT if others in the site agree this will solve anything.  I PM'd Russ, and one or two others inviting them in here. If there's a genuine problem, I don't think it needs to be broached via Poll..

Sorry Steven, I am just not understanding you.  My idea of having a poll is to get input from the people involved (SS members) to see what they think.  That is SIMPLY what this is thread is about, at least that is what MY UNDERSTANDING and INTENT was based on our discussions in another thread.  If I am wrong, someone please swat me over the head (other than you Steven  LOL ) and let me know.  

We THEN intend on listing all the issues, presenting it to admin to see what is feasible and taking a FINAL VOTE.  

And yes, I feel that abuse is a lot of the problem and although it is against the rules, WE, as members have expressed a desire to be able to CONTROL this issue OURSELVES without having to resort to admin.  Because YOU don't agree does NOT make YOU the MAJORITY.  We need to get ALL the opinions we can and that is what we are doing...sorry if you think our approach is half-a.s.s.ed but Don, Cindy and I have spent quite a bit of time on this subject, trying to listen and respond to the members and figure out the best way to make as many people as possible content.  I do feel we are being fair about it...and again I'm sorry if you don't.

Gotta go...I'm listening to subs and will be going out to karaoke in a little while.  :wave:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Look at this and tell me what you'd think.  This cheapens "A point" when you have an array like this, and if there is a point, a person would be hard-pressed to find it..  It looks like a "Curious George Discovers the Poll Button" episode.

True,  I'm not the majority.  I merely stated that within a one or two day period this place really looked babyish... This is just THIS particular forum of Karaoke Scene

Look at this array !

Quote:
[Poll]   Vote on new options attn:  Phill

Quote:
[Poll]  Singer's Poll

Quote:
[Poll] What Does It Take To Make A Change? (Attention PHiLL (aka webguru), Possibly Some Good Ideas Here

Quote:
[poll]   SS ranking poll (just one more poll I promise)

This is GOOFY  LOL

The immaturity, and inability to present yourselves has likely turned off some that even DO come and read these bboards.

Be Concise !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

[shadow=darkred][highlight=green]GOOFY SAYS: "MAJORITY RULES!!!!!!!'[/highlight][/shadow]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:45 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

LMAO

Hey,  I have a new title that must be honored !

You Like ?

Quote:
Steven Kaplan
Curmudgeonly Old Fart

Some folks spend 500 bucks on a tatoo.  I never got one.  So I splurged 500 points for a title.

(OK,  back on topic Kappy you yapping pile of sushi)...

Anyway,  I've known you folks for two years now,  Sorry if I don't preface all posts with an apology,  you ought to know me well enough by now to realize I can mean what I state, and not in a bitter, personal sense...

Presentation's important.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Steven  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO Keep using that marvelous brain and you'll never be old.   :D

It's good to hear all kinds of opinions and be challenged and discuss things.  What a boring world if not for differing thoughts.

And NOW I AM going to karaoke!!! Paul's waited long enough.  LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:52 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Sounds like fun,  I'll be around here bitching and moaning like the grumpy old man I'm becoming (if anybody wants a breath of fresh air to chat with) :hug:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Luly @ Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:22 pm wrote:
[shadow=darkred][highlight=green]GOOFY SAYS: "MAJORITY RULES!!!!!!!'[/highlight][/shadow]

Thats too cute ! I love Goofy !!!

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Steven Kaplan @ Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:52 pm wrote:
Sounds like fun,  I'll be around here bitching and moaning like the grumpy old man I'm becoming (if anybody wants a breath of fresh air to chat with) :hug:

LMAO ! Sorry Kappy my dinner is ready now I gotta go take it off the stove & feed the flock LOL  Hope ya find sombody to come out & play :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
in my not so humble opinion it is not the polls that are at fault but the poll structure. if one is voting on a poll it should be just that a vote. If one has suggestions they should be made in another specific thread. That then would be tidier. Human nature as it is folk like to put in their 2c or $2 or  in some cases $2,000
if the polls were kept to simple votes and the comments in a different thread they would be a lot easier for the ones doing the monitoring to follow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Another possible option (although I haven't really given this thought) is that we DO have a chat room here.  What if a request were made for Phill, or administration to meet with those that wish to discuss this and set a date for a live discussion about these issues ?  Get about 20 in the chatroom, and discuss it ?   Not that anything would be conclusive, but I think THAT might be a means of knowing where we stand with all this, responses would unfold at a faster rate.  THIS of course would be advertised to all in SS  (The time and purpose of discussion)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:37 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
oh you mean a slanging match like in the houses of parliment?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:45 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Can I get a rug on my head like those guys in the house of commons ?  :shock:  A bi-level berber with a nice pyle will suffice ~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:01 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I agree with Chamjam, itz taken long enough to get used to things the way they are, and there's just no cure for every problem. A few bad apples will be around no matter what you do....this  is showbiz, and when you put a lot of creative people together in one place there are lot-sa dynamics....

russ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next