KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Vote On New Options ATTN: PHILL Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

Should we add any of these features to the SS?
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 140
 Post subject: Re: Vote On New Options
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
michaeljayklein @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:12 pm wrote:
I think anybody mentioning someone else's name in a defammatory and inciteful way should be immediately barred, vanquished and deported--I've already requested to be barred from the forums.  Less ammunition given, the better.  It's a no win situation--one can't even be civil and try to add helpful opinions or suggestions as long as the person's name is attached to them.

Attacking is not supposed to be allowed.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:21 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Odie @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:08 pm wrote:
The idea Nathan, would be to allow the removal of comments that are blatant attacks on the person's character, that may contain obscenities, things of that nature. It's not meant to promote the removal of legitimate song critique.  I think a vast majority of people could agree on the distinction.  I think some changes would be good to attempt.  I seriously doubt things would get worse then they are now.

I agree with you, but you can't tell me that people will only remove the REALLY bad stuff, they will remove things as they see fit......such as..."Hey I really think you need to turn you vocal track up"....or..."Say there Don, you might want to concentrate on your pitch on this part"......lol.....People would have the ability to make all of their 'C" submissions perfect 10's....which totally defeats the purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

It's either try to make some option changes or get a moderator as Jian mentioned to keep tabs on SS like the mods monitor the KS forum.  I just don't think the current 'well, let whatever happens happen' approach is working.  E.J. maybe correct.  Maybe we should take this stuff a lot less seriously?  But to make that work right, EVERYBODY would have to agree to take it a lot less seriously IMO.  :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:24 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

michaeljayklein @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:12 pm wrote:
I think anybody mentioning someone else's name in a defammatory and inciteful way should be immediately barred, vanquished and deported--I've already requested to be barred from the forums.  Less ammunition given, the better.  It's a no win situation--one can't even be civil and try to add helpful opinions or suggestions as long as the person's name is attached to them.  This applies to song submission intros, content of submissions, comments on submissions and comments made in forums.  We should be able to report any observations of this taking place to administration in due confidence.  In the situation of receiving harassing PMS, that should be reported as well, being sure to include material quotes so that adminstration is not bothered with fancied slights or misinterpretation as to what constitutes harrassment.

And see what I mean?...Your saying you have requested to be barred from the forums, but your still here!  You can not expect the Admins to babysit you, your an adult and should act in such fashion, I do not have any ill feelings towards you Michael, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Chuck2 @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:18 pm wrote:
chamjam @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:16 pm wrote:
I also don't think that those who chose not to critique on a 'C" should be reprimanded by others for "fluffing"...I mean were all here for different reasons, for me it's just a place to chill and sing anything I feel like singing, wether it sounds good or not, that's why I sub under "J" in the SS, I don't have anything to prove, and i'm not here to compete....And I might add that there are very few people in the SS that are qualified to give a critique anyways...I can only think of two people right off hand, and neither of them are even around much anymore.......But of course, "C" should have a meaning, and people should understand what goes along with it....

I couldn't agree more.

Same here.  That's a good point, Nathan.  Maybe we can ask people what they feel should be good ways to critique.  I vaguely remember Jazzy starting a thread once about the right/wrong ways to critique.  I don't remember if that's what lead to that option but you're right, there should be rules to follow.  BUT, that doesn't mean that the singer will like/accept what is told to them EVEN if they asked for it.  The wrong word is said, or the meaning not understood and the fire is lit.  And that is why this poll is being conducted, so that each person can make that PERSONAL choice of what to accept.

I also think that once you make your comment, it should not be alterable.  Not the person commenting and not your reply.   Period.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:31 pm 
What I am implying Nathan is that even when I've gone to threads and have shared my opinion or given what I felt was earnest advice or suggestions, my post is very often followed by an off the cuff insult or some pejorative of a sort by a couple of folks currently making this their stomping grounds.  Being a creature of habit, I always feel I need to address something I see here in a civil way. The only way to bar me from doing that is to bar me!  I know it sounds illogical but you'd have to be in my shoes to getting a gleaming of my perspective on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Nathan.  Are there no solutions to these problems we're talking about?  Is it just the 'law of the jungle' that will prevail?  LOL  What are your ideas for solving these problems?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:36 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Luly @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:30 pm wrote:
I also don't think that those who chose not to critique on a 'C" should be reprimanded by others for "fluffing"...I mean were all here for different reasons, for me it's just a place to chill and sing anything I feel like singing, wether it sounds good or not, that's why I sub under "J" in the SS, I don't have anything to prove, and i'm not here to compete....And I might add that there are very few people in the SS that are qualified to give a critique anyways...I can only think of two people right off hand, and neither of them are even around much anymore.......But of course, "C" should have a meaning, and people should understand what goes along with it....

I couldn't agree more.

Same here.  That's a good point, Nathan.  Maybe we can ask people what they feel should be good ways to critique.  I vaguely remember Jazzy starting a thread once about the right/wrong ways to critique.  I don't remember if that's what lead to that option but you're right, there should be rules to follow.  BUT, that doesn't mean that the singer will like/accept what is told to them EVEN if they asked for it.  The wrong word is said, or the meaning not understood and the fire is lit.  And that is why this poll is being conducted, so that each person can make that PERSONAL choice of what to accept.

I also think that once you make your comment, it should not be alterable.  Not the person commenting and not your reply.   Period.

Ahhh Luly....:)  Ya know I love ya, but I must politely disagree......The fire will still be lit, just under different circumstances...and also, it will totally disable the 'C" feature to the point that it might as well not be there at all, just imagine an SS in which everyone can make there own perfect 10 "C" submission whenever they see fit, it would get ugly, and now that i'm thinking about it, probably worse than it is right now.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Luly @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 pm wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

Hmmm!!!! The idea of not being able to edit an SS comment/reply would force people to think long and hard about the content before they submitted it.  Yet another good idea Luly!  :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:38 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
[quote="Luly @ Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm]

I also think that once you make your comment, it should not be alterable.  Not the person commenting and not your reply.   Period.[/quote]

Very good point Luly that is the one thing that disgusts me more than anything else. The ability of some to edit their vicious remarks constantly yet there is no redress for the replier. Take away the edit function all together

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chamjam @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:36 pm wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

Ahhh Luly....:)  Ya know I love ya, but I must politely disagree......The fire will still be lit, just under different circumstances...and also, it will totally disable the 'C" feature to the point that it might as well not be there at all, just imagine an SS in which everyone can make there own perfect 10 "C" submission whenever they see fit, it would get ugly, and now that i'm thinking about it, probably worse than it is right now.....

We're not so much concerned about the Rank as we are the slanderous content of the comment itself.  And we all know what those look like I think!  What if the Rank score could not be altered by the singer? Only the language.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:42 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MorganLeFey @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:38 pm wrote:
Luly @ Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm]

Quote:
Very good point Luly that is the one thing that disgusts me more than anything else. The ability of some to edit their vicious remarks constantly yet there is no redress for the replier. Take away the edit function all together

Yep, either both sides should be able to edit or neither.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Odie @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:32 pm wrote:
Nathan.  Are there no solutions to these problems we're talking about?  Is it just the 'law of the jungle' that will prevail?  LOL  What are your ideas for solving these problems?

LOL.....As I said before, maybe make the rules of the SS a little more apparent, explain in detail what each function of the SS is used for, and set people lose...There will always be arguments, but why replace one problem with another?  Perhaps all new members should receive an email explaining these things, or maybe put some type of disclaimer in the upload page.......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
Actually Don I think the rank thing is kind of redundant. If I am having something constructive to say then I refuse to select rank.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Nathan wrote:
Ahhh Luly....  Ya know I love ya, but I must politely disagree......The fire will still be lit, just under different circumstances...and also, it will totally disable the 'C" feature to the point that it might as well not be there at all, just imagine an SS in which everyone can make there own perfect 10 "C" submission whenever they see fit, it would get ugly, and now that i'm thinking about it, probably worse than it is right now...  

Don't worry Nathan, disagreeing with me definitely doesn't bother me.  You may even make me change my mind if I see your point.   :) Regarding the perfect 10 submission....there are already subs sometimes that not everyone agrees should be perfect 10's, yet the comments are gleaming.  Yes, like I've said several times before I am sure it can be manipulated to give you all perfect 10's.  It WILL bother some people...others won't give a flying saucer.  This will not be a perfect solution, I doubt anything can.  But...maybe we can try it on a trial basis?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:46 pm 
Here's another idea...just throwing it out: No comments, just a selection of check boxes with the usual fluffy things on it (i.e., "Great job!", "Good job", "Enjoyed this", etc.).  The most appreciated comments are probably the ones you get sent personally to you to your PM box anyway.  

If anything, look at the rankings available in the critique checkbox: "Oh My God" and "Barely Listenable" are ALREADY there to set the tone for negativity.  Someone seeing those two descriptors (say a newcomer) gets the sense that if these rankings are allowed so is a scathing critique.

Let's do away with those two and the "Perfect" (there is no such thing) and grade it as following:  Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, Excellent (or keep "Near Perfect" where it is, although that's a stretch).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chamjam @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 pm wrote:
Odie @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:32 pm wrote:

LOL.....As I said before, maybe make the rules of the SS a little more apparent, explain in detail what each function of the SS is used for, and set people lose...There will always be arguments, but why replace one problem with another?  Perhaps all new members should receive an email explaining these things, or maybe put some type of disclaimer in the upload page.......

Yeah, good idea.  But rules are only good and valid if they're enforced.  It's the rule enforcment that seems to be lacking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Odie @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:37 pm wrote:
Luly @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 pm wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

Hmmm!!!! The idea of not being able to edit an SS comment/reply would force people to think long and hard about the content before they submitted it.  Yet another good idea Luly!  :)

My mind is humming along today.  Must be the meds I'm on...   LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:52 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Odie @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 pm wrote:
chamjam @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:36 pm wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

We're not so much concerned about the Rank as we are the slanderous content of the comment itself.  And we all know what those look like I think!  What if the Rank score could not be altered by the singer? Only the language.

Once again, you make a valid point, but don't you think it would look a bit strange to have a 7 ranking on a submission full of fluffy comments?.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

michaeljayklein @ Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:46 pm wrote:
Here's another idea...just throwing it out: No comments, just a selection of check boxes with the usual fluffy things on it (i.e., "Great job!", "Good job", "Enjoyed this", etc.).  The most appreciated comments are probably the ones you get sent personally to you to your PM box anyway.  

If anything, look at the rankings available in the critique checkbox: "Oh My God" and "Barely Listenable" are ALREADY there to set the tone for negativity.  Someone seeing those two descriptors (say a newcomer) gets the sense that if these rankings are allowed so is a scathing critique.

Let's do away with those two and the "Perfect" (there is no such thing) and grade it as following:  Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, Excellent (or keep "Near Perfect" where it is, although that's a stretch).

This option could work too Michael as far as I'm concerned.  Ship the wordy song comments straight to the singer's PM box instead.  It may not be as much fun for the viewers, but it would cut out the inflamed comments for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next