KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - when your karaoke competition is right next door... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:33 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
has anyone experienced this? a new kj sets up shop with a venue right next door to you on the same karaoke night, same karaoke time.

or what's the closest in proximity that a same night/same time kj set up, relative to you

we're all kj brothers and sisters, but if/when someone sets up karaoke next to your on your night, who'd win? who has won? or have y'all coexisted in harmony?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:55 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
i've got 2 stories. involves the same kj.

we know each other and i try to not have anything against any kj period. um, we've never been formally introduced, but we're aware of each other. i've been to a few of her shows over the years; (she was a kj before me) but she hasn't been to any of mine.

she started working at my actual venue where i work at, one day, on a different weeknight. like if i was on tuesday, she worked thursday. i didn't realize my venue was that serious about having a different entertainment night. (they later got a straight up DJ). again, we know each other, but not been formally introduced, i'm even on her facebook as a friend. i think when i sang for her one night, she found me on facebook and added me so she could lemme know her schedule. she never mentioned to me that she was working at my venue. maybe she didn't know i worked there, too, but at least give me a heads up. maybe?

anyway, she didn't last past 3-4 weeks. if that. i'd imagine it was too confusing to people: like did we work together? no? then what was she doing there? folks didn't warm up to her. (i'd been there already for many years and i'm still there). it was the bartenders who first told me hey someone else does karaoke here on thursdays, is she with you? i was like, wtf? maybe she stopped working because she realized i worked there. i dunno. we've not discussed this so far, ever. also, i saw it on my facebook! my venue with her karaoke night hours. i couldn't believe it. soon as she posted it, next thing you know she was gone.

the 2nd time was recently, same kj. she set up shop like diagnonally from me one traffic light away, walking distance from me, in this hicktown where there's no nightlife whatsoever. i'm surprised i still work there; it's been more than a year. our 2 venues are vastly different. hers is way much smaller and wouldn't be anyone's ideal hangout for karaoke. but she was there longer than i thought she'd be. i was in the area first, then several months passed and she came on my same karaoke night. diagonally from me. she finally left. i did pop my head weekly and nodded to her/waved. didn't sing because i had to set myself up for work. not sure if she was aware i was already there up the street. but i think so. she's never mentioned it.

i deeply admire her hustle, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:23 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Singers tend to visit every karaoke within a certain radius... but do keep in mind they stay where they sound the best or where there is more people.

Last friday a couple went to a karaoke bar and the kj had it blaring loud and sound was terrible to the listening ears. they came to my show and gave me a kudos to the difference in sound quality. Although they mentioned it was loud to their liking, they were comfortable to stay the rest of the night.

mind those that don't care as long as the beer is cheap they will remain where they can drink more regardless of sound quality.

more bars in same space draws better crowds.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Over the many years I was hosting there has been many times my gigs have collided with other hosts. It happens you are both in the same business, just like gunfighters, and you get reputations. One thing you don't want to get a reputation for if you are a gunfighter is being a back shooter. Just like if you are a host, you don't want to get a reputation as a host that is after other host's gigs. I tried very hard to develop my own shows and not poach on others hard earned venues or crowds. Of course that didn't stop other hosts from coming to my gigs and trying to work my crowds or try and undermine my position at the venue. It is a tough business and sometimes you do have problems, feuds that develop between rivals. I have had an on going problem with one host in particular who was for lack of a better description was both greedy and lazy. He would wait for me to develop a venue then try and swoop in and take over. The only time he was successful is if I had moved on and he got the show after I had went to another one. It didn't bother me so much that he moved in after I left, but rather that he had no ideas of his own, and yet thought he was the better host. I have always tried to be humble and not have the big ego like some hosts. All this time I have tried to act professionally with him even though his conduct has been less than ethical. Sometimes I have been asked by venues to cleanup some of the problems this host created, and he accused me of stealing his gig. Some people have all the nerve. This went on for years until I retired, now he thinks he's the man in town. It is sort of sad.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Product 19 wrote:
...she started working at my actual venue where i work at, one day, on a different weeknight. like if i was on tuesday, she worked thursday. i didn't realize my venue was that serious about having a different entertainment night. (they later got a straight up DJ)....

...she set up shop like diagnonally from me one traffic light away, walking distance from me, in this hicktown where there's no nightlife whatsoever....

As you stated, the Venue wanted to have different entertainment on different nights (which also entailed having a different KJ on a different night). Maybe they (the venue) wanted to see who had a better crowd. You didn't say whether or not the venue advertised, or if it was known that there was karaoke there before she walked in to get hired, so, she was in the right place at the right time. I have been to some places where they had karaoke on multiple nights, and different KJs (all independent of each other) hosting on the different nights.

Now, as for the 2nd scenario, you said you are in a small town where there is no night life. It might not have been this KJs idea to set up shop across the street form you on the same night and time as your show. That could have been the venue's idea so they could pull in some more business. I've seen venues do that plenty of times. They know that their neighboring bar has business booming on a certain night, and they want to compete with them on the same night. Can't fault the KJ for that. And even if it wasn't the venue's idea (but it was the KJ's idea), you can't fault her for trying to make a buck either. After all. it's a business.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 28 times
I went through this. I took over from a failing show going head to head next door on Friday nights. I moved their night to Saturday to avoid the competition and immediately saw results.

Then the competition opened up Saturday nights as well... And then we opened up Fridays. We were winning the battle handly before the competition decided to kick out the awesome karaoke company they had and buy their own system to save money.

They went up for sale a year later... It's now an Italian restaurant.

*Edit:. Forgot to mention that the failing show was one of the longest standing ones in my area

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Ultimately they could be two completely different shows with different genres, ages, etc that each show attract their own crowds. Just make yours stand out and it should be fine. If seen several shows within walking distance on the same night with completely different atmospheres, 1 being more of a standard karaoke show (stereotypical karaoke songs that get done almost everywhere) and the other show was a high energy, young crowd singing more pop, rock & new country type stuff. The club will play a factor as well as to what kind of crowd they might attract (drink/shot specials are a good thing for younger crowds), how loud you play (sound like a night club or nursing home), subs, etc....can all play a factor.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile