KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - is it wrong? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: is it wrong?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:22 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
last night i was just in one of those moods where everything (and everyone) was getting on my nerves!  i did something i've never done before.   i bumped a singer up in the rotation because i knew it was his last song and he would leave after that.  is that wrong?  
i just couldn't take any more of his yammering while i was trying to work.  he's one of those folks that like to sit at the KJ area and talk to the KJ while you're trying to read the drunken handwriting of the next singer, look for a song because some jacka** is too lazy to look it up for himself, switch buffer music, control the mix and EQ for the current singer, AND flirt with the cuties on bachelorette night at the third table.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: is it wrong?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:46 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

It may not be "wrong" but it could start trouble for you. As a avid Karoake fan, I could tell you that I'm sure your other singers might have objected, at least under their breath's.  I have my own system at home and don't pay much attention but my friends always knows who's turn it is.  Besides that fact that this guy probably thinks you are favoring him and will hang around more. If I were you I would polietly (but firmly) explain that although you appreciate his company this is your business and you do have a lot to do. From some of the pest that I have had the privlage to observe; showing any preference (no matter how much you want to get rid of him) only makes things worse.
Just a Thought!! :)
Leo

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:31 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I agree with sybl. While I would have been tempted to do the same thing (if I ran karaoke) he's probably going to think that was a favor you did him, and now think that he gets "extra" privileges all the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:44 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

good points, both of you.  the one thing i didn't mention is that he didn't have a song in the rotation before when it was his turn, so i'm not sure anyone noticed.  that coupled with the fact that he was getting on everyone's nerves they probably were happy to have him gone.  i have the kind of crowd that is usually very cool.  i'm lucky in that i don't have alot of rotation watchers and whiners about "when am i up again".  they probably would have mentioned it if they had an issue with it and believe me, i thought about it before i did it.  i did not think about the angle of this guy thinking that i did him a favor though.  hopefully, since he didn't ask to be moved up, i did it on  my own, he won't realize that he was moved up.  i'll cross that bridge when i come to it i guess.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Trouble on your way

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:36 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Once you start bumping someone in rotation they may expect it again and again. Along with that you open up the door for other singer to get upset and or want the same treatment.

I would rather upset one than the many.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:44 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

If someone say to me "bump me up cause i gotta leave" Especially if they've been bugging me all night , I usually say "so leave cause you won't be up for about an hour cause your getting on my nerves" I have no pity on A**H*L*S. :wave:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:49 am 
If it's someone I like or someone I want to get rid of, I'll do it.   But they better leave and not be there when I'm packing up.   I've had that one pulled.    I have to leave bump me up.   Then they come up later and want another song, it was just a trick.    Trick me once, up mine.    Try to trick me twice, up yours.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:46 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
When a person has a job or does something repeatedl, (MANY times) to slip up once because of mood, fatigue, extenuating circumstance, or even just bending your own rules once due to your own imperfect nature isn't the end of the world.  Right or wrong, it doesn't matter, people aren't computers, meaning We aren't 100%. Thing to do now, is if you feel what you did might come back to haunt you, just think of what to say so you don't find yourself in a habitual pattern of having to do something not favorable, because some baby feel's that since you did it once, it now becomes "carved in stone"..  You need to look at the circumstances, and your particular environment. Perhaps if you ever find yourself in a situation where you are expected to repeat the process, you can just say "Sorry, I can't do that again, I made a mistake, and  heard about it, I was wrong".  No biggie.  We aren't 100%

JMO

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:41 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

robdogkaraoke @ Sun May 07, 2006 9:44 pm wrote:
If someone say to me "bump me up cause i gotta leave" Especially if they've been bugging me all night , I usually say "so leave cause you won't be up for about an hour cause your getting on my nerves" I have no pity on A**H*L*S. :wave:

I think i like this appraoch.  although i must reiterate.  the guy wasn't asking me to bump him.  i bumped him up on my own to get rid of him.  i knew he was leaving after that song.  all of you have great insight and thoughts on this and i am absorbing them all.  having been a kj for going on 15 years, i've made my  share of mistakes (and some i'd do again) but my cardinal rules were always -
1 - don't sleep with any of your patrons
2- don't jerk with the rotation....
oh, well.  now that i've broken rule number 2, i guess i might as well break rules number one also.

any takers?
crystal?
charmin?
sharon?
steven?      (just kidding, steven.  i wouldn't want to make kieth mad!)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Quote:

it's not keith you have to worry about, but billy....have you ever seen him in one of his jealous fits?   :shock:   that's why i try to keep my distance from steven....i'd advise you to do the same   :no:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
I've got a great idea:

The next time someone asks you to bump them, give them a "hip check".  A REALLY big one.   LOL

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:22 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I don't actually think you did anything wrong. If you missed him the rotation before you were just adding him in.
He would be like starting over to me. I alternate new singers in with the old. I don't
put them at the end of the rotation.
I'm with Kappy on this one. Everyone has those nights and you have to do what keeps your sanity. You bumped this guy up on your own. You know your crowd and
what you can expect if you do something out of the ordinary. It sounds like you weighed out the consequences before you did it.
I say do what ever it takes not to strangle a patron.  LMAO

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
no vocals @ Mon May 08, 2006 11:41 am wrote:

I think i like this appraoch.  although i must reiterate.  the guy wasn't asking me to bump him.  i bumped him up on my own to get rid of him.  i knew he was leaving after that song.  all of you have great insight and thoughts on this and i am absorbing them all.  

You know, you all are gonna give me a complex. Now every time I get bumped in line or get to sing twice in a row..... I'm gonna be like....."WHY?? Are you wanting me to LEAVE??"

Quote:
.....having been a kj for going on 15 years, i've made my  share of mistakes (and some i'd do again) but my cardinal rules were always -
oh, well.  now that i've broken rule number 2, i guess i might as well break rules number one also.

any takers?
crystal?
charmin?
sharon?

Hey Steve.  :wave:  Let's see: Bump me in line, I sleep with you....... I sleep with you, and you'll bump me in line....... Hmmmm, what  to think?....... Sounds like a "win-win" situation to me!!  :D  Sure, sign me up.  There's not a rule that wasn't meant to be broken is what I always say.  :dancin:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:00 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
steven?

Not until you buy me a ring.   Either that or Western Union me some money, Send a postal money order, cashier's check, or wait for your personal check to clear (which must also include funds to cover my bank fee for the charges incurred from the first two checks you bounced).  OR we get married.  I'm not a wanton ho !   I have my standards. It's not like it's the 70's anymore !

Quote:
it's not keith you have to worry about, but billy....have you ever seen him in one of his jealous fits?      that's why i try to keep my distance from steven....i'd advise you to do the same    

Is it my phermones ?    This happens EVERY mating season.  The guy's in KS start locking Antler's for we feminine things.  Don't rub it in though, You make me feel like such the princess !  Sometimes I have to pinch myself !!

Please somebody slap me,  I think I've died and gone to heaven !  <hip thrust>*

*Stomach fly's into double hung window, and I fall thru glass like Chris Farley Fell thru the wall in SNL skit during Matt Foley scene

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:38 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
no vocals @ Mon May 08, 2006 1:41 pm wrote:
robdogkaraoke @ Sun May 07, 2006 9:44 pm wrote:

I think i like this appraoch.  although i must reiterate.  the guy wasn't asking me to bump him.  i bumped him up on my own to get rid of him.  i knew he was leaving after that song.  all of you have great insight and thoughts on this and i am absorbing them all.  having been a kj for going on 15 years, i've made my  share of mistakes (and some i'd do again) but my cardinal rules were always -

any takers?
crystal?
charmin?
sharon?

I'm number four on the list??? What is that about?? You even put any takers in front of me, and I have never heard of HER before....Hmmm...I guess you won't be getting lucky when we get together in June.... LMAO

But then I guess it is what it is and I'll just have to wait my turn.....

BTW can you hook me up with this "any takers" person???  They must be hot...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
BTW can you hook me up with this "any takers" person???  They must be hot...

I wouldn't go near her.  She has Jock itch.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:37 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I didn't even make the list LMAO

That's okay kappy has a nicer butt that me LMAO

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:49 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
That's okay kappy has a nicer butt that me

I wouldn't admit to that !   :shock:

Connecticut had to get a second area code for my butt back when I moved into the state.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:30 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Babs @ Tue May 09, 2006 8:37 am wrote:
I didn't even make the list LMAO

That's okay kappy has a nicer butt that me LMAO

babs, you didn't make the list because i know you have standards, but i'd be happy to add you!  

Sharon, y'know i almost put "in no particular order" on that post, because i KNEW someone would get thier feelings hurt.....i just thought it would be steven!
as for june......maybe i should leave the wife here in austin?    :brows:

Steven - i can't marry you..........it's not saturday!