KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Flying the flag Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Flying the flag
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:09 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Flying the US flag has been banned at the High school in Longview CO as well flags from other countries.  

I think as American living in our own country we should be able to fly the flag whenever we choose to do so.  

What do you think??

<edit>  Here is the link to the story:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 951S08.DTL

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Flying the flag
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
What reason did they state for not flying flags.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:31 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The recent protest of the immigration laws

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I'd take away their funding.  It's ridiculous, but then again I live in a country where they allow separists in the federal government.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Isis @ Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:31 am wrote:
The recent protest of the immigration laws

Now I saw news reports where hispanics were protesting and flying the Mexico flag.
Is this ruling a reaction to the Mexico flag flying?  They decided to restrict all flag flying completely?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:29 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

timberlea @ Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 am wrote:
I'd take away their funding.  It's ridiculous, but then again I live in a country where they allow separists in the federal government.

So true timberlea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:01 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I'm sorry I should have posted the link in the first post.  Here it is:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Isis @ Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:01 pm wrote:
I'm sorry I should have posted the link in the first post.  Here it is:

""When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

I have to agree with this statement.  Flying the flag as a sign of pride and respect for your country is one thing, but to use it to intimidate others in a malicious way is not a good thing. This goes for both sides.  You're just adding fuel to the fire.  High schools are not the place for "political warfare".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Now that I've read the link, it's definitely different from the initial post.  I thought it was not flying the flag from the shcool's flag pole.  After reading the link, a totally different thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Quote:
as well as flags from other countries — amid racial tensions following immigration rallies.

Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student.

"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

What they are stating is that the US Flag AND other nations flags IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE are being used as symbols representing bigotry, and hate amidst racial tension. What they are doing, is refusing to allow our flag to be used in a racist context, or used to malign other nations people, It's not meant to represent hate.  What they are doing is EXTREMELY responsible in this case.  They are trying to preserve our flag and make sure it's hung respectfully and with honor.  Not prevent it's being displayed, students are also being suspended during this process for biased crime (I suppose).. They are throwing the flag in mexican students faces as if to say,  "we are better than you", and Vice Versa..... The flag should be displayed honorably,  not as a racist symbol.  We don't need our flag to be used as a Swastika !!!!

JMO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Steven Kaplan @ Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 pm wrote:
Quote:
as well as flags from other countries — amid racial tensions following immigration rallies.

Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student.

"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

What they are stating is that the US Flag AND other nations flags IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE are being used as symbols representing bigotry, and hate amidst racial tension. What they are doing, is refusing to allow our flag to be used in a racist context, or used to malign other nations people, It's not meant to represent hate.  What they are doing is EXTREMELY responsible in this case.  They are trying to preserve our flag and make sure it's hung respectfully and with honor.  Not prevent it's being displayed, students are also being suspended during this process for biased crime (I suppose).. They are throwing the flag in mexican students faces as if to say,  "we are better than you", and Vice Versa..... The flag should be displayed honorably,  not as a racist symbol.  We don't need our flag to be used as a Swastika !!!!

JMO

Yes! That is correct sir!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Odie @ Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:48 pm wrote:
Steven Kaplan @ Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 pm wrote:
Quote:

JMO

Yes! That is correct sir!

Ditto :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

they're not banning "FLYING" the American Flag or others, but instead maliciously waving it in front of people's faces. This becomes a personal attack, and the rules of citizenship are that the flag is NEVER supposed to be a weapon, not even an ideological one.

The students were wrong in doing so. I understand their frustration, but they should have just heeded the lesson from the principal.