KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Are these wireless mics good? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Hi everyone,long time no write! I kinda need some help :) :wave: Vocopro vhf-35 ?I forgot which one is better for karaoke vhf or uhf.I have a chance to get a good deal on them but wanted to make sure Im not wasting mu $...Thanks in advance for your help :) sorry..meant to put a link up..here it is...http://www.colonymusic.com/sheet_item.h ... 6488_23896

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:38 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Most VocoPro stuff isn't worth getting, that said I have a Vocopro wired mike that sounds pretty good. I don't know much about their wireless mikes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I would not use VHF for a gig. It's too close to other signals that can interfere. Of course, this depends on where you are since each area has different frequencies that is being used.

I would stick to UHF if possible. Make sure you stick to the new legal frequencies and avoid, I believe 700Mhz range.

Seize the day and SING!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

At the chance of getting flamed ... "IF" you are going to get VHF I'v been using for the last year and with much success the following inexpensive set

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=277405

Believe it or not the price is under $50 and they sound GOOD

(((((flame on))))))

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:52 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
jamkaraoke @ Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:12 pm wrote:
At the chance of getting flamed ... "IF" you are going to get VHF I'v been using for the last year and with much success the following inexpensive set

(((((flame on))))))

Jam I would buy the Nady over VocoPro any day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Agreed on Nady. I have a Nady Pro UHF wireless mic set I am trying to sell. I used it for a few years and they sounded decent. I got AKGs and they do sound better but more expensive. The only thing about the Nady was that they were fairly hot, got some feedback often, which I am not getting on AKGs. However, for the price, you can't beat Nady, much better over Vocopro.

However, I still think you should stick to UHF, specially for a gig. You geet what you pay for. If you are willing to pay about $250-$300, I would say go for the AKG that several people recommended on this forum. I did and I am very happy with it.

Seize the day and SING!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:27 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

jamkaraoke @ Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:12 pm wrote:

(((((flame on))))))

No flame here. I've heard they are pretty good for a cheap mic. I've used Nady SP5s for years. They sound good, but have more handling noise than a more expensive mic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
bgood @ Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:27 pm wrote:
jamkaraoke @ Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:12 pm wrote:

(((((flame on))))))

No flame here. I've heard they are pretty good for a cheap mic. I've used Nady SP5s for years. They sound good, but have more handling noise than a more expensive mic.

Have to disagree about the Nady wireless. I have sung through them more times than I would have liked, and the sound has been poor every time. The Vocopro VHF are no better.

You were using SM58 wired last time I sang with you, I think. The Vocopro or the Nady will be a big step down. They are cheesy, and when you use them your sound is cheesy. If cheesy is what you want, go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
I have to agree with Micky. Those mics sound OK for a normal speaking voice, announcements, speeches, etc. But get a powerful voice singing into them they go downhill fast. When it comes to wireless mics, the axiom "you get what you pay for" hold true in my opinion.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote:
I would not use VHF for a gig. It's too close to other signals that can interfere. Of course, this depends on where you are since each area has different frequencies that is being used.

Thats exacly what I was worried about Eben. thanks!

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

:wave: mckyj57 ! Yeah I had wired shure mics . Have since bought a sennheiser wireless to add which we love.I tried today to get ahold of our dj for him to look at it & see if it was uhf or vhf but couldnt get in touch with him so I came here I know you guys would help me.Thank you ALL for your replies,Hope you all are doing well :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jamkaraoke @ Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:12 pm wrote:

(((((flame on))))))

:banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

letitrip @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:12 am wrote:

(((((flame on))))))

Man I don't understand what brings out the negativity when ever I mention using the DKWDUO NAdy wireless set. I know you are all experts and put down NADY and I'm SURE (SHURE) like any other brand they have some bad sounding mics . But I've been using them now for over a year at 4 different venues with hundreds of different RETURNING customers without ...COMPLAINTS --FEEDBACK---HANDLING NOISE. and NO they are not CHEESY SOUNDING. I don't work for Nady or have any stake in suggesting them. It's easy to sit there and suggest $600 wireless set up from Shure or AKG etc. WOW you must all be experts LOL. Yes is any side by side comparison with a unit costing 10x as much I agree they will always come in 2nd place. But I stand by my comments --THEY ARE A GOOD SOUNDING MIC FOR VERY LITTLE MONEY. Unlike most of you who sang on some Nady or heard from your expert friends --I actually use them now 3 times a week and can honestly repot on the quality ...... I don't know why I feel the need to justify -- I just wish if you can't offer your own suggestions to the OP question you not post at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
jamkaraoke @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:44 pm wrote:
letitrip @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:12 am wrote:

(((((flame on))))))

Man I don't understand what brings out the negativity when ever I mention using the DKWDUO NAdy wireless set. I know you are all experts and put down NADY and I'm SURE (SHURE) like any other brand they have some bad sounding mics . But I've been using them now for over a year at 4 different venues with hundreds of different RETURNING customers without ...COMPLAINTS --FEEDBACK---HANDLING NOISE. and NO they are not CHEESY SOUNDING. I don't work for Nady or have any stake in suggesting them. It's easy to sit there and suggest $600 wireless set up from Shure or AKG etc. WOW you must all be experts LOL. Yes is any side by side comparison with a unit costing 10x as much I agree they will always come in 2nd place. But I stand by my comments --THEY ARE A GOOD SOUNDING MIC FOR VERY LITTLE MONEY. Unlike most of you who sang on some Nady or heard from your expert friends --I actually use them now 3 times a week and can honestly repot on the quality ...... I don't know why I feel the need to justify -- I just wish if you can't offer your own suggestions to the OP question you not post at all.

You offer your opinion, then someone else offers theirs. Then you offer yours again.

You get what you pay for. Those mics are terrible-sounding. I have used them -- unfortunately -- quite a few times. I avoid shows that have them.

They do a lot better on female or tenor voices, as many mics do. But if you have any dynamic range, a rich voice, and notes the low end, they are going to be poor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jam, I meant my post to be a good natured way of not re-hashing what we've discussed before. But here we are again in the same conversation. Look, as I've said before, I sang on the EXACT Nady set you're talking about countless times before I started my own KJ business. In fact you could say that those particular mics are part of what helped me get into the Karaoke biz (by motivating me to put a better product on the market). The local KJ in the village we lived in at the time had those mics. I spent many nights listening to others singing on them and doing so myself. I even went as far as to work with the KJ to try and help her optimize them as much as possible with the channel EQ's on her mixer.

What I found was simple, no amount of EQ'ing could make up for the obnoxious deficiency of lower mid-range and eye exploding exaggeration of the mid to upper mid-range frequencies. The over compressed drone resulting from cheap companding technology can't be overcome with any amount of audio tricks. Once your dynamic range is gone, it's gone.

I could argue all day long about the comparison on here about Nady versus Vocopro as well, again having used both, but that's just simply not worth it because in the end, neither is a GOOD sounding mic. Good sounding for the price....maybe. Good Sounding in general terms, no way.

You asked what brings out the negativity? Well you keep referring to them as good sounding mics. At the risk of sounding like a grand reproductive organ here, people come here looking for advice on these things and I watch as folks with apparently little knowledge or ear steer them in directions that make little sense using mis-information. If you said the Nady's were a great value and for their price tag sound good. Yeah I probably wouldn't feel compelled to offer the opposing viewpoint. However, you continue to tout them not as only good for the price but as a "GOOD SOUNDING MIC".

* EDIT * - Also if you find any thread where I've talked about my Shure mics you'll notice I've never talked about how "good" the audio quality is. I've said repeatedly they're a good value for the money and I don't have to worry as much about the expense if someone drops one. They have performance very similar to an SM58, however with more handling noise and a little less background rejection. I would never emphatically declare them to "sound GOOD". Now my Beta58 wireless I might say sounds good, but even then I know there are better performers on the market.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

letitrip @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 pm wrote:
Jam, I meant my post to be a good natured way of not re-hashing what we've discussed before. But here we are again in the same conversation. Look, as I've said before, I sang on the EXACT Nady set you're talking about countless times before I started my own KJ business. In fact you could say that those particular mics are part of what helped me get into the Karaoke biz (by motivating me to put a better product on the market). The local KJ in the village we lived in at the time had those mics. I spent many nights listening to others singing on them and doing so myself. I even went as far as to work with the KJ to try and help her optimize them as much as possible with the channel EQ's on her mixer.

What I found was simple, no amount of EQ'ing could make up for the obnoxious deficiency of lower mid-range and eye exploding exaggeration of the mid to upper mid-range frequencies. The over compressed drone resulting from cheap companding technology can't be overcome with any amount of audio tricks. Once your dynamic range is gone, it's gone.

I could argue all day long about the comparison on here about Nady versus Vocopro as well, again having used both, but that's just simply not worth it because in the end, neither is a GOOD sounding mic. Good sounding for the price....maybe. Good Sounding in general terms, no way.

You asked what brings out the negativity? Well you keep referring to them as good sounding mics. At the risk of sounding like a grand reproductive organ here, people come here looking for advice on these things and I watch as folks with apparently little knowledge or ear steer them in directions that make little sense using mis-information. If you said the Nady's were a great value and for their price tag sound good. Yeah I probably wouldn't feel compelled to offer the opposing viewpoint. However, you continue to tout them not as only good for the price but as "GOOD sounding mics". Sorry I'll never buy into that one.
:banghead: :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:54 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
letitrip @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am wrote:

Agree! They may sound great to singers that don't care what their karaoke sounds like in which you would never hear a complaint. Generally I won't complain to a host if I don't like a piece of equipment or the sound or anything, I simply don't return to the show - so I can see why one wouldn't receive complaints.
Funny thing is "almost" every kj i've ever met & went to their show on invite and their boasting of a great sounding system (these shows are sometimes busy, mostly just a handful of people though - but with less than desireable singing quality which is hard for an audience to endure), I simply do not understand what they (the host) are hearing 90% of the time to make the claim of great sound with a BMB mixer amp & a couple of 10" (or less in a couple shows I checked out) cabinets turned up to the point of piercing the ears because there is absolutely no bass response. I can count maybe 3 shows i've been to locally that actually can claim very good sound.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Believe me I know where you both are coming from. No harm No Foul
I'm not the one that wants to GO ROUND AND ROUND. The discussion was about VOCO PRO and UHF vs VHF. I just stated to the OP "IF" they were going to go VFH to try the Nady DKW DUO set for $40 as I have had much success with the unit for over 1 year. If they don't like it they could always return it. Tony I understand you are a "pro's" pro and use to working with very high end equipment and that is to your advantage. We are all entitled to our opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonman @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:54 pm wrote:
letitrip @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am wrote:

Funny thing is "almost" every kj i've ever met & went to their show on invite and their boasting of a great sounding system, I simply do not understand what they are hearing 90% of the time. I can count maybe 3 shows i've been to locally that actually can claim very good sound.

I agree Lonman and I'll take it one step further. I can't remember the last DJ I met (in person or on this board) that didn't brag about how their patrons tell them how good the sound is. As we've discussed in another thread some time ago, I put little stock in these compliments. The only way I can explain them is that people want to be "in" with the KJ (or whoever is mixing for whatever). I don't know if it makes them feel special or what, so they stop by and compliment him on the sound. Now sure I appreciate the comments and always thank them but do I use it as a measure of how good a job I'm doing, no.

Great example. This past weekend I was mixing for a band at a campground in the northern part of our state. They were playing in a steel pole barn and as you can imagine, the reflections and general acoustics were terrible. For the entire first set (before the drummer decided to play quieter in the second set) the PA couldn't overcome the drums and as a result it sounded like the band was playing behind the drums. Still at the end of the first set, some guy walks by and tells me how great it sounds. I thanked him all the while laughing on the inside thinking he must be half deaf. So it was very nice of him to pay me the compliment and I'm glad he was enjoying the show, however in reality I knew he was just plain wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

So I guess its hard to believe that using a
Yamaha Emx powered mixer
2 - 15" Behringer Pro speakers
Nady Wirelss mics
That a KJ could provide decent sound for a Karaoke show which is in a Very small bar ?

WOW all this time I never knew how bad my show was.......LOL

You know I love you guys !!!