KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - The Game's Afoot Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Game's Afoot
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
mrscott wrote:

You come on here, sitting behind the anonymity of a web forum, touting what you are doing and even "why". You claim to be "helping" these places, yet in the process "knowing" you are doing harm to an industry that has been struggling as it is. You claim to be doing it all in the guise of "self actualization", which means you doing in through humility and kindness. But simply by touting your deeds says to us that you are less than humble, and that shows who you really are.

Sure, go ahead and serve your fellow man, that is a good and noble thing. But the very second you boast about it, you are not doing it for the reason you say you are. It all becomes about "you". With you going in and saying "I am a great DJ, I will save you", you are not doing them any real favors. These lodges DO NOT NEED your benevolence, they need to step up to the plate and take care of their own business.

I thought that all on this forum were interested in what I was doing? At least you were engaged as long as you thought I was going to go out and enrich myself. Others were wondering if the industry is dead or not, I have shown that you can get up off the couch and make a difference. It is not a boast but rather facts that I am imparting. If you don't like what I'm saying don't respond, simple yes?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

You come on here, sitting behind the anonymity of a web forum, touting what you are doing and even "why". You claim to be "helping" these places, yet in the process "knowing" you are doing harm to an industry that has been struggling as it is. You claim to be doing it all in the guise of "self actualization", which means you doing in through humility and kindness. But simply by touting your deeds says to us that you are less than humble, and that shows who you really are.

Sure, go ahead and serve your fellow man, that is a good and noble thing. But the very second you boast about it, you are not doing it for the reason you say you are. It all becomes about "you". With you going in and saying "I am a great DJ, I will save you", you are not doing them any real favors. These lodges DO NOT NEED your benevolence, they need to step up to the plate and take care of their own business.

I thought that all on this forum were interested in what I was doing? At least you were engaged as long as you thought I was going to go out and enrich myself. Others were wondering if the industry is dead or not, I have shown that you can get up off the couch and make a difference. It is not a boast but rather facts that I am imparting. If you don't like what I'm saying don't respond, simple yes?

No, you are boasting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
LR, while you may not need the money, many of us do, including myself. Like most of us, I have bills to pay and food to put on the table. But if I was as fortunate as you, who doesn't need the money, I still would not work for free. I would charge for my services and donate the money to someone who could really use it. There are many folks out there who don't know where there next meal is coming from.

By doing so, in this manner, I am not hurting the industry and fellow KJ's and I'm helping those less fortunate than me. Like I said, there are homeless shelters who would love the help. But again, it's all about you and your ego. Such a sad human being you are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
LR, while you may not need the money, many of us do, including myself. Like most of us, I have bills to pay and food to put on the table. But if I was as fortunate as you, who doesn't need the money, I still would not work for free. I would charge for my services and donate the money to someone who could really use it. There are many folks out there who don't know where there next meal is coming from.

By doing so, in this manner, I am not hurting the industry and fellow KJ's and I'm helping those less fortunate than me. Like I said, there are homeless shelters who would love the help. But again, it's all about you and your ego. Such a sad human being you are.

Why am I fortunate, because God has blessed me, whatever I turn my hand to? We all have expenses even those non-profits that you think are taking advantage. All I can tell you Alan is this is important to me, enough so I'm literally putting my money where my mouth is. No local KJ's are suffering from what I'm doing, I got their blessing before I started. They realize that anything that generates a crowd is not all bad. They are happy that the base is being expanded, and new people are coming to their shows as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Lone Ranger, I'm going to put a little scenario out for you to ponder.

What if you asked the bar/lodge to donate to real charities the money that a regular host would be making. That way you would be off the hook for actually receiving ANY pay at all. Then your "feel goods" can be met. Maybe you could even designate where the money goes. But I will bet dollars to donuts they would tell you that they already give to charities. And that the money they make from your "enterprise" is already being used for operating/overhead costs. I can almost guarantee that they are NOT donating as much as you would like to believe, and that is because they don't want to be bothered with the paperwork. But someone there is benefiting from your "generosity", that much is certain. Ask yourself who that might be. Your benevolence is truly being taken advantage of, that is obvious to everyone except yourself.

Bottom line, if you turned over your "enterprise" to someone who could actually benefit from it becoming successful, if it ever did, then you would be doing a much bigger service to our industry, whether it's DJ work or KJ work, it's all the same entertainment. It's not ego to be profitable, it's smart.

Been there done that MR.SCOTT, when I retired the first time all of the gigs I had developed did go to working KJ's that got paid what I did when I left, except for the ELK's Lodge, who decided to go the member volunteer route. We don't live in a vacuum, neither does the non-profits, if they were to all disappear you would see how much they do for local communities. Especially the Moose's work with orphaned and abandoned children, the various Veteran organizations making sure Vets are represented, and get their earned benefits, Shriner's and St. Jude's helping children who can't afford medical treatment, the list goes on and on. I didn't realize how short sighted some of us can be, how selfish, not caring about the forgotten man, that even Trump forgot about, after bringing him up during the last election.

Sorry, I ain't buying what you or they are selling. I have seen it first hand how some of these places operate, and how they do business isn't all what they are saying they are doing. They are making money. Simple as that. What you are doing is feeding their cash cow. I don't know how you cannot see that!!! And in the process you are putting your middle finger up at all of the karaoke industry. You should be totally ashamed of what you are doing. That is how I see it.

And I agree 100%. It's going to be very hard for another KJ to take over LR's gig and ask for $150, which is a reasonable amount, when they are used to getting the entertainment for free. In fact, I would bet it would be nearly impossible.... thanks to LR screwing it up for everyone else.

Let me just say this...

There is no business that I know of that is giving out freebies because of the pandemic. Bars and restaurants are still charging for food and drinks. Movie theaters are not letting people in free. Auto dealers aren't giving away free cars. You still have to pay for tuition to go to college. You still have to pay your monthly bills ( mortgage, gas, electric, cable, phone, etc.). Walmart is not giving you anything free... even your doctor or dentist is not going to see you for free.

I have to say, LR, you are really an idiot. It's people like you that are hurting the industry and making it harder for KJ's/DJ's to compete and find a place that's willing to pay them $150, which is very reasonable.

These places that you're working for are making money. You're being taken advantage of and hurting your fellow KJ's.

The pandemic has hurt a lot of KJ's. Many have lost jobs and lost money. They're having a hard enough time finding work without you making it worse by sending the message that karaoke is worthless entertainment and working for free.

Mrscott is right, what you're doing is giving the middle finger to KJ's who want to work and trying to survive. You are despicable. You don't care about anyone but yourself.

If you want to help someone... wouldn't it make more sense to help out fellow KJ's who DO need the money instead of giving freebies to clubs who are making money and can definitely afford to pay for entertainment? This hurts the rest of us.

I think you got your priorities in the wrong place.

My new car to me had an issue where I had to jiggle the positive terminal to get it to start. apparently the guy who sold it to me lost the nut to the terminal. I took it to my mechanic and he fixed it for no charge. So yeah you can get something for free. It's called good will hoping that when the customer needs something more expensive to fix. I can see Lone Ranger doing it to promote business for himself for a small amount of time but not forever. If he does it until he crokes then I agree that he is stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:42 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
No local KJ's are suffering from what I'm doing, I got their blessing before I started.

Where their going to suffer is when you decide to stop hosting and another KJ wants to take over. The club will not want to pay them for their services since you started the precedent that entertainment should be free.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:48 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
No local KJ's are suffering from what I'm doing, I got their blessing before I started.

Where their going to suffer is when you decide to stop hosting and another KJ wants to take over. The club will not want to pay them for their services since you started the precedent that entertainment should be free.

This is exactly what we both are telling you LR. You may have made it so that these lodges are profitable "now", simply because you are putting money in their daily total. But when you are gone, they will NOT step up and pay accordingly to what is a fair valuation for entertainment. You have single handedly flushed that down the toilet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
My new car to me had an issue where I had to jiggle the positive terminal to get it to start. apparently the guy who sold it to me lost the nut to the terminal. I took it to my mechanic and he fixed it for no charge. So yeah you can get something for free. It's called good will hoping that when the customer needs something more expensive to fix. I can see Lone Ranger doing it to promote business for himself for a small amount of time but not forever. If he does it until he crokes then I agree that he is stupid.

That's called "customer service". They don't want to be known as a dealer who won't stand behind their product, or take care of something so easy that it costs them nothing to repair. That would be bad business. You should know that Danny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

LR... by you continuing to brag about your "enterprise" and "charity" work (aka working for free), you are ramming it down our throats and giving us the shaft. And since you won't listen to reason, I would recommend you no longer post about this. I personally, don't want to hear about your stupidity any longer. It is not helpful and only aggravating the rest of us. So, please no more posts about this.

You do what you want... but don't tell us about it.

And one more thing... since you are knowingly giving us, your fellow KJ's the middle finger, and obviously don't care about the ramifications that your actions will have on fellow KJ's... I just want to say... Go "F" yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I can see Lone Ranger doing it to promote business for himself for a small amount of time but not forever. If he does it until he crokes then I agree that he is stupid.

The only time I can see doing a free show is when you're trying to land a gig and want to let the owner see the kind of show you run. So, you offer a free night. But, that's it. One night only. You don't do it for weeks. You just do it one time which is all it takes for an owner to see what you're all about and decide if he wants to hire you. If you're good and he thinks you will benefit his bar, he will hire you.

But never more than just one free show. Anything more proves that you have no self worth.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I'm not bragging or boasting, I'm merely showing that if those poor KJ's and DJ's that want work, there are jobs, if you are willing to work. Most aren't up to putting in the time and effort it takes to make a show work. Again this is no KJ but DJ dance parties, and only during the duration of the pandemic, get over it. Oh an yes I had another great weekend, thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Again this is no KJ but DJ dance parties, and only during the duration of the pandemic, get over it.

Wow! He just doesn't get it. Or, maybe he does and just doesn't care.

He's using the pandemic as a motive for working for free. But let me just say something about that...

The pandemic is not stopping people from going out. They're packing the bars and they're spending money. And the bars are back to operating as normal and are making money.

You even said yourself: "I had another great weekend". I take that as a couple of profitable nights for the clubs.

So, what in the hell does the pandemic have to do with anything? Not a damn thing. Nobody is working for free. And no business is giving anything away.

LR, you are such a fool. A delusional fool at that. Stop trying to make excuses for your stupidity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
I'm not bragging or boasting, I'm merely showing that if those poor KJ's and DJ's that want work, there are jobs, if you are willing to work.

Most KJ's DO want to work. They just don't want to work for free.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
I'm not bragging or boasting, I'm merely showing that if those poor KJ's and DJ's that want work, there are jobs, if you are willing to work.

Most KJ's DO want to work. They just don't want to work for free.

How else are they going to get their foot in the door and start something new? The venues I'm working with have been pushed to the brink of closure due to the fall off in business, and changing demographics. The aging population has been hard hit by this pandemic, and the herd has been thinned considerably. There is no money for entertainment beyond what they are already spending. Unless we can keep the doors open, the paid hosts that are working now will be out of a job anyway. The reason the crowds are back out is because most people in California have gotten their shots, so I'm hoping that I will only have to continue with this until the Spring or Summer, by next Fall we should be back to normal, and I can return to sitting on the sidelines. What remains to be seen is how many venues survive all of this?

P.S. Just one question for you Alan, you stated that you are down to two gigs a week, from the pre-pandemic 5 you once did, that is 60% of your business, have you picked up any new gigs, since you said crowds are back? Aren't you currently just in a holding mode, and not making any money anyway to make up for those lost gigs? At least when I'm out and people see me, they ask for my card, hire me for paying private parties that happen between now and New Year's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
How else are they going to get their foot in the door and start something new?

So, what you're saying is that these KJ's should work for free if they want to get their foot in the door and try something new. That is really pathetic. Unlike yourself, most of us are in business to make money. We're NOT going to work for free.
The Lone Ranger wrote:
P.S. Just one question for you Alan, you stated that you are down to two gigs a week, from the pre-pandemic 5 you once did, that is 60% of your business, have you picked up any new gigs, since you said crowds are back?

Actually, I'm in talks with the venue where I was hosting on Friday & Saturday nights. They want me back but are short handed right now. Once they increase their staff, I will be back there. The problem is nobody wants to work so it's taken longer to fill those positions.

Let it be known, the problem is not the pandemic. It's people not wanting to work. The jobs are out there. Tons of them, but they would rather stay home and collect unemployment. This holds true in every market. But eventually, those benefits will run out and people will have no choice but to go back to work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
Actually, I'm in talks with the venue where I was hosting on Friday & Saturday nights. They want me back but are short handed right now. Once they increase their staff, I will be back there. The problem is nobody wants to work so it's taken longer to fill those positions.

Let it be known, the problem is not the pandemic. It's people not wanting to work. The jobs are out there. Tons of them, but they would rather stay home and collect unemployment. This holds true in every market. But eventually, those benefits will run out and people will have no choice but to go back to work.

The problem is not that people don't want to work, rather they don't want to keep working two and three jobs just to provide shelter and food for their families. They want to improve the quality of their lives, they want jobs that provide a living wage, and provide benefits such as medical, since we don't have single payer government option yet. Also workers don't want to go into unsafe working conditions, where many co workers refuse to get their shots. For years now the workers have been struggling by and wages and benefits have not kept pace, while a few wealthy individuals have been living high on the hog, at their expense. If we cannot level the playing field, provide decent jobs at livable wages, then you will see further economic and political upheavals in the future. We might not even have a Democratic Republic soon, but rather a minority ruled country on the brink of revolution, and further government instability. Then the problems of all pale in significance to the collapse of our form of government. Right now workers are refusing to go back to work, under the old status quo, they want a new fairer deal, where all share in the prosperity of this great nation.

P.S. Just like you want to be paid Alan at a fair rate, so do all of the rest of those in the workforce. Not to mention millions more will lose the jobs due to the supply chain problems in this country, our crumbling infrastructure problems are only getting worse, and won't be totally solved until 2023 at the earliest.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:53 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Again this is no KJ but DJ dance parties, and only during the duration of the pandemic, get over it.

Wow! He just doesn't get it. Or, maybe he does and just doesn't care.

He's using the pandemic as a motive for working for free. But let me just say something about that...

The pandemic is not stopping people from going out. They're packing the bars and they're spending money. And the bars are back to operating as normal and are making money.

You even said yourself: "I had another great weekend". I take that as a couple of profitable nights for the clubs.

So, what in the hell does the pandemic have to do with anything? Not a damn thing. Nobody is working for free. And no business is giving anything away.

LR, you are such a fool. A delusional fool at that. Stop trying to make excuses for your stupidity.

Yep, he is a BIG fool. And he thinks others should think like him, that we should ALL give away what we have worked so hard for. I say let these bars close, it will be their own faults, not ours, nor the pandemic either. It's all on them for lousy business practices, such as thinking all entertainment should be given to them free of charge. If they close, others will open when it's time.

I have stopped trying to talk sense into LR's head,,, simply because he won't listen to anything other than his ego. He thinks he can save the world with his "self actualization"... or at least his little lodges.

Honestly, my biggest hope on here at this point is that the powers to be (admins are you listening?) that they would take note of his actions and ban him from this forum. Simply because his actions are counter productive to the karaoke industry. It's nothing different than the pirates stealing from the hard working people who try to build up their business.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Mr.Scott is that the solution to every problem if some says something you don't like they should be banished, so you can continue to live in your own little world? The purpose of this forum I thought was the exchange of ideas, much like Universities used to be, before political correctness. Now you want this forum to get rid of anyone that doesn't agree with your point of view. Isn't that a dictatorial view and a danger to free speech?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Mr.Scott is that the solution to every problem if some says something you don't like they should be banished, so you can continue to live in your own little world. The purpose of this forum I thought was the exchange of ideas, much like Universities used to be, before political correctness. Now you want this forum to get rid of anyone that doesn't agree with your point of view. Isn't that a dictatorial view and a danger to free speech?

No, I have zero problem with someone who has a difference of opinion than I do, or even the majority of the people. That is and always will be awesome in my book. But what you are doing is so low, I cannot imagine someone in this industry thinking it's ok, or even welcome on this forum. Think back at how many times obvious pirates have come on here to ask questions, only to get told to take their comments elsewhere. I just don't know how you can't see, or WON'T see what you are doing is plainly wrong.

If you had said that this idea of yours to "save" these clubs was honestly temporary, meaning short term (thinking 3 weeks max) and not this "until the end of the pandemic" crap. You know as well as I do, the virus is NOT going away, it's something we ALL will have to deal with for decades to come. If you were to charge these lodges, or choose not to do what you are doing at all, these places will adjust, either close their doors or adapt to the new ways. What are you hoping to teach these people who are supposed to be "managing" these lodges? I know without a shadow of a doubt they are taking advantage of you and laughing all the way to the bank.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

No, I have zero problem with someone who has a difference of opinion than I do, or even the majority of the people. That is and always will be awesome in my book. But what you are doing is so low, I cannot imagine someone in this industry thinking it's ok, or even welcome on this forum. Think back at how many times obvious pirates have come on here to ask questions, only to get told to take their comments elsewhere. I just don't know how you can't see, or WON'T see what you are doing is plainly wrong.

If you had said that this idea of yours to "save" these clubs was honestly temporary, meaning short term (thinking 3 weeks max) and not this "until the end of the pandemic" crap. You know as well as I do, the virus is NOT going away, it's something we ALL will have to deal with for decades to come. If you were to charge these lodges, or choose not to do what you are doing at all, these places will adjust, either close their doors or adapt to the new ways. What are you hoping to teach these people who are supposed to be "managing" these lodges? I know without a shadow of a doubt they are taking advantage of you and laughing all the way to the bank.

This pandemic would be over right now like in Portugal if 98% of the population was vaccinated. If indeed this pandemic is with us for decades, it will the be fault of those who choose not to get their shots. As a system Capitalism is not perfect, it leaves too many behind at least how it is practiced in this country. I haven't seen too much laughing rather some are grateful, someone is trying to do something, not just sit and complain. Not all share your view that what I do is lower than even piracy. I guess you don't have a problem with pirates as long as they charge for their service?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next