KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Music Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Music
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:57 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Several years back I started going to karaoke here where I live and become friends with the karaoke guy and some of the patrons. I found out from them the karaoke guy would install roxbox, add his library on a external hardrive for a certain price, and update the song list every so often. He has since quit doing karaoke and moved off so how can I update my song list. Is there a website I can use or someone I can have do it.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Music
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:32 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Totally illegal for him to that to start with which means your music is not legal to use.'
As far as updates, you can purchase tracks through various sites. Search here for the songs you want https://db.openkj.org/ then click the links to purchase. You will need to set up accounts through each site you purchase from.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
As is typical of most KJ's, your friend is what's known as a "pirate". Someone who steels his music instead of purchasing it. By using, illegally obtained music to run his shows, your friend is putting himself as well as the venue he's working for, at risk of a lawsuit for copyright infringement for hundreds of thousands dollars.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Alan B wrote:
As is typical of most KJ's, your friend is what's known as a "pirate". Someone who steels his music instead of purchasing it. By using, illegally obtained music to run his shows, your friend is putting himself as well as the venue he's working for, at risk of a lawsuit for copyright infringement for hundreds of thousands dollars.

One thing you have to admit Alan the risk is small, and most copyright enforcers ignore karaoke, since it is such a small part of the entertainment market, with little hope of recovery, especially from the pirate KJ, who generally doesn't have two dollars to rub together, that is why they are pirates in the first place. All of karaoke production companies that tried to collect, have given up on it, even SC. Like it or not the pirate is here for now. Especially since during the pandemic most of the venues have been hard hit, and really can't afford a legit KJ. That is if you can find one who will go out and expose themselves, and their patrons.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:03 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Sorry I didn't explain myself better. He has bought all the music, he just charged me forthe program and the external hardrive and transfered his music to the hardrive.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Texas_Karaoke_Guy wrote:
Sorry I didn't explain myself better. He has bought all the music, he just charged me forthe program and the external hardrive and transfered his music to the hardrive.

That... is the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:55 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Texas_Karaoke_Guy wrote:

Unless he includes the discs that the music was ripped from. You sir are not legal and have no right to use the music.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Texas_Karaoke_Guy wrote:

Unless he includes the discs that the music was ripped from. You sir are not legal and have no right to use the music.

Danny is absolutely correct. Here's what I'm willing to bet...

Your friend has thousands of karaoke songs. He never legally paid for them. Instead, he bought a loaded hard drive from eBay, containing thousands of karaoke songs... and that is illegal. Now, he's duplicating his hard drive for his friends, such as yourself.

If you use it, you are just as liable as he is for copyright infringement. You can also be sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, you better hope you never get caught.

My advice to you is to smash that hard drive and throw it out with the trash. I would also distance myself from this karaoke host. It's people like him that are ruining the karaoke industry.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Texas_Karaoke_Guy wrote:
Sorry I didn't explain myself better. He has bought all the music, he just charged me forthe program and the external hardrive and transferred his music to the hardrive.
No we got it from the 1st post. What he did is completely illegal - even if it was completely free to you - still illegal. You as a kj are prohibited 'legally' from using copied music (either paid for or free) that you do not own (ie receipts from the stores/manufacturer sites for digital download purchase or you have the physical discs YOU own in your possession stored away). His music is legal for HIS system (but beginning to doubt it and he bought a illegal drive to begin with), once he copies/sells/swaps/etc it becomes illegal (ie piracy), so again the music he copied for you is illegal for YOU to use in your system.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:17 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Alan B wrote:

One thing you have to admit Alan the risk is small, and most copyright enforcers ignore karaoke, since it is such a small part of the entertainment market, with little hope of recovery, especially from the pirate KJ, who generally doesn't have two dollars to rub together, that is why they are pirates in the first place. All of karaoke production companies that tried to collect, have given up on it, even SC. Like it or not the pirate is here for now. Especially since during the pandemic most of the venues have been hard hit, and really can't afford a legit KJ. That is if you can find one who will go out and expose themselves, and their patrons.

Now the risk is small, but what will happen in a year? There are no guarantees that copyright holders will not begin to defend their rights. Therefore, for your own safety and to clear your conscience, it is better to use licensed tracks.