KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Online Karaoke Parties Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Online Karaoke Parties
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
So I had a local politician ask me if there was a way to host a karaoke party online via something like Zoom. Does anyone have any experience with this, and does it work well. I have watched a few of my daughters teachers try and show videos over zoom, and it was hit or miss with each student. Thanks in advance.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:20 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
With Zoom, the only way to sync the singer with the audio track is to have the singer playing the track. Otherwise you get dropouts and varying degrees of lag for each viewer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I think that trying to do karaoke on line is a waste of time. It's just not the same since nothing beats the excitement of a live performance in front of an audience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
I'm with Alan. If it's online, the word "party" no longer applies. The term "social media" is such a contradiction. Nothing social about it. Online posts are not social. What we are doing right now is not social. If it was, people wouldn't be as honest, and surely wouldn't be talking politics and religion like they do here. If this were a social gathering, I'd probably compliment Alan on his T-shirt and maybe offer to buy Lonman a drink.

For a very short time in March, I was worried the pandemic would usher in some new era of online karaoke. After watching a few attempts, let's just say I'm no longer worried. I quickly remembered what makes karaoke karaoke, and it's not just the singing. It's many things, but mainly the combination of loud volume, an audience, optional alcohol provided, but more importantly that all the people are gathered in the same place. The singer needs to look out and see actual people watching. The audience needs to see an actual live person singing in front of them. Without it, it's like watching a pot luck version of MTV at home, but with a lot more crappy singers :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:18 pm 

Songs: 24
Been Liked: 1 time
I guess I'm opposite of most folks. I think I'd like an online karaoke party. I perform live only very rarely. When I sing for myself whether it is for practice or to record I'm doing it with my own equipment on my own time, when and how I want. When doing it life I'm using someone elses equipment which I may or more often than not don't really like. And if I record sometime to post it in the showcase then folks can listen to it whenever they choose to and it kind of serves as a piece of my work that stays around. I think in the context of a live online Karaoke party I'd enjoy singing live on my equipment for others to enjoy, it would just be the technical aspects of live, such as zoom that might be tricky.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mastertech wrote:
I guess I'm opposite of most folks. I think I'd like an online karaoke party. I perform live only very rarely. When I sing for myself whether it is for practice or to record I'm doing it with my own equipment on my own time, when and how I want. When doing it life I'm using someone elses equipment which I may or more often than not don't really like. And if I record sometime to post it in the showcase then folks can listen to it whenever they choose to and it kind of serves as a piece of my work that stays around. I think in the context of a live online Karaoke party I'd enjoy singing live on my equipment for others to enjoy, it would just be the technical aspects of live, such as zoom that might be tricky.

No matter how good your equipment is, really doesn't matter because most people who use these on-line singing apps are using them with their Smartphones or Tablets, so the audio is going to sound like sh*t.

As Bob and I have pointed out, there is no comparison between a live, in person karaoke performance at a public place.

It's like the difference between watching a blockbuster movie on an IMAX screen with full blown Dolby Atmos surround sound compared to watching it at home. Just doesn't have the same impact.

But of course, you do what you want but I think in the end, the effort is just not worth it. It's a waste of time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:55 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
I'm with Alan. If it's online, the word "party" no longer applies. The term "social media" is such a contradiction. Nothing social about it. Online posts are not social. What we are doing right now is not social. If it was, people wouldn't be as honest, and surely wouldn't be talking politics and religion like they do here. If this were a social gathering, I'd probably compliment Alan on his T-shirt and maybe offer to buy Lonman a drink.

For a very short time in March, I was worried the pandemic would usher in some new era of online karaoke. After watching a few attempts, let's just say I'm no longer worried. I quickly remembered what makes karaoke karaoke, and it's not just the singing. It's many things, but mainly the combination of loud volume, an audience, optional alcohol provided, but more importantly that all the people are gathered in the same place. The singer needs to look out and see actual people watching. The audience needs to see an actual live person singing in front of them. Without it, it's like watching a pot luck version of MTV at home, but with a lot more crappy singers :)

Hate to say it but I totally agree with Bob on this. While I personally leave my wanna perform personality at home when I'm hosting and making my shows about my singers, I have noticed a lack of having a live audience to see and listen to me perform when I am not hosting but visiting a friend's show is not as enjoyable as having that audience.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Hate to say it but I totally agree with Bob on this.

That's because Bob is 100% correct on this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
I feel like online karaoke parties are like karaoke methadone. I mean, sure, it prevents withdrawal, but it doesn't get you high, either. I had the same reaction to the quarantine karaoke groups and, well, the showcase here. If it works for you, great, but I need people in a live environment.