KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I am getting real tired of... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I'm getting real tired of wiping down the microphones and changing covers after each performance. I'm rethinking if I'm going to continue to do it. Here's why...

1. The alcohol is starting to ruin my mics. It's seeping into the mic and now one of them is making a crackling/distorted sound. Plus, from cleaning so frequently, they are starting to discolor.

2. If you choose to come to a bar, you're already taking a risk. People at the bars that I host in, are sitting in groups, not wearing masks, and not social distancing. Because of this they have more of a chance of contacting Corona Virus, than from handling a microphone.

Luckily, where I'm set up is away from the crowd, and I do have a mask that I use when I need to.

So, the bottom line is... why should I care about people's safety when they could care less about their own and that of others? Why should I ruin my equipment because of them?

So, as I said... they pose more of a risk to each other from sitting too close and touching and hugging, etc., then they do from using a shared mic. And again, the minute you walk in that bar, you are already taking a risk regardless of karaoke.

I think I'm done. If you don't like it, bring your own mic.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Alan B wrote:
I'm getting real tired of wiping down the microphones and changing covers after each performance. I'm rethinking if I'm going to continue to do it. Here's why...

1. The alcohol is starting to ruin my mics. It's seeping into the mic and now one of them is making a crackling/distorted sound. Plus, from cleaning so frequently, they are starting to discolor.

2. If you choose to come to a bar, you're already taking a risk. People at the bars that I host in, are sitting in groups, not wearing masks, and not social distancing. Because of this they have more of a chance of contacting Corona Virus, than from handling a microphone.

Luckily, where I'm set up is away from the crowd, and I do have a mask that I use when I need to.

So, the bottom line is... why should I care about people's safety when they could care less about their own and that of others? Why should I ruin my equipment because of them?

So, as I said... they pose more of a risk to each other from sitting too close and touching and hugging, etc., then they do from using a shared mic. And again, the minute you walk in that bar, you are already taking a risk regardless of karaoke.

I think I'm done. If you don't like it, bring your own mic.

Alan forget about the equipment damage, what about your own health, and the health of your family members? You can always replace equipment you can't replace yourself or someone you love. What good does it do if you make the money they now offer for hosting karaoke, if you get sick? To me the risk reward ratio just isn't there, since Covid-19 came on the scene it is not the same world anymore. Those that still come out to bars and participate in karaoke don't really care about their own lives, or those close to them. The question is are you going to engage in a super spreader activity during a national emergency? If I were still hosting today I would simply quit. I figure until there is a vaccine that works, it just isn't worth it. Nothing is more important than your health, without it you have nothing. A couple of weeks ago I had a bad scare and thought I might have the virus, fortunately it was a false alarm, but still the more I learn about this plague the more I'm being careful. Let the losers go out and risk themselves, you will still be here after this is all over. Waiting a year is not the end of the world. They have now found out that this disease is not just respiratory in nature, but also attacks the vascular system, without your blood vessels you are cooked.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
weird, i've been cleaning my mics with alcohol for ten years or so now and never had any of the get issues from it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
weird, i've been cleaning my mics with alcohol for ten years or so now and never had any of the get issues from it.

Just an observation Paradigm I know you operate out of Phoenix Arizona area. Last night I was struck by the video of Kristin Urquiza, when she said her 65 year old father Mark Anthony died of Covid-19 on June 30 about a month, after attending a karaoke bar gig. She said her father's "only preexisting condition was that he listened to president Trump", and thought it was safe to go back out, when Arizona reopened it's bars. You yourself got sick with the virus, is any of this really worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
I've used sanitary wipes for years and have never had any issues. The mic heads on my Shures do discolor after awhile but its pretty cheap to replace the heads. If its getting inside try making sure excess liquid id wrung out, etc..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

If it was me, I would not be wiping down the mics since your singers think you're an idiot for wearing a mask and taking precautions. They don't even believe the virus is real, let alone practicing any safety measures.

So, I wouldn't be doing anything. If they're that stupid and don't care... why should you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I have stopped cleaning the mics after each performance. I may do so once every half hour. I figure... what's the point?

We're dealing with people who are sitting in groups at tables, sitting shoulder to shoulder at the bar, and walking around touching and hugging everyone. No one is taking precautions. So, if they don't care about their safety, why should I.

So, I'm done with this. Sing at your own risk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:30 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
If that's the case Alan, do you think it's even worth the risk of hosting?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

If it was me, I would not be wiping down the mics since your singers think you're an idiot for wearing a mask and taking precautions. They don't even believe the virus is real, let alone practicing any safety measures.

So, I wouldn't be doing anything. If they're that stupid and don't care... why should you?

because at the end of the day, i know i did everything i could to be the better man.
and to me, that's enough

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
If that's the case Alan, do you think it's even worth the risk of hosting?

Personally speaking, until we get this virus under control, I think that all bars across the country should remain closed. With that said...

There is a risk in everything we do. From the moment you get in your car, you're at risk. I do the best I can to take precautions for myself when hosting. I put my mask on when I see someone's going to approach me, refrain from mingling with the crowd like I've always done, and constantly clean my hands with a hand sanitizer.

Then, the minute I get home, my clothes come off and go right into the washer. Then I get into the shower, brush my teeth, and gargle with Listerine. And also take 1 aspirin.

I've been doing this since I started hosting again and so far, I've been OK. But back to your question... everything in life is not without risks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

That is the whole question are you as an individual willing to assume the risk? From a rational, logical point of view at least for me the answer is no. Every hosts situation is different, every choice personal. For me if I were still hosting it would be more of a question of morality. While I could personally assume the risk should I ask others to, like my family members? Then I would be thinking about what my activities would be contributing to? I would be hosting a super spreader activity, inside of a super spreader venue, possibly creating an environment where covid-19 could thrive. Prolonging the nations medical emergency, infecting scores of patrons, who would go home and spread the disease, increasing the national death toll. So many things kill, should karaoke kill as well?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:43 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Farthest thing in my mind is the morality of doing karaoke. 75% of my karaoke gigs are outside with social distance. Not only do I wipe the mics after each use I also have a disposable "paper-like" cap that goes over the mic and then a wind screen on top of that. The paper product is disposed of and a new one put on after each singer. The wind screen goes with the singer if they are to sing again. All of my inside gigs are 50% capacity and social distancing a must.
My tip jar says microphone safety gear on it and not only do I get tips but "Thank you's" as well. People are tired of being locked up. If you feel unsafe then stay home. That is your right. We have to learn to live with this virus instead of living in fear of it.
All of my karaoke family love that I'm taking precautions but still providing them an outlet to staying cooped up inside.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:55 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

You can take all of the precautions you want and still you can't escape the reality that you have a super spreader activity, in a super spreader venue. You talk about being cooped up like it is a sentence of death, it is not. When you think about some of the hardships our ancestors dealt with, what we are being asked to do is quite mild. How would you like to be in a sailing ship for months, or a fort under siege, at least you can move around your home. Most of us have access to food and water, we have tv, video games, streaming, reading, you can still garden around your home, fix it up. The main problem is earning a living, and children getting their education, but even these problems can be solved, if we have the collective will to try and defeat this plague.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:52 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Like I said, sit at home and play video games if you want. I choose to work. We have differing opinions about this virus and that's fine. I need to work to feed my family. I stayed home in March and April and lost tens of thousands of dollars.
Our entertainment company went from 34 shows a week to none. Not only have I busted my (@$%&#!) to get these gigs, but the people I've employed have also lost major income. We are currently about half way back in the number of gigs we do a week and our very thankful for that.
We are moving forward and safely opening back up. I've spoken with 100's of people since re-opening our business and not one has complained or considered what I'm doing a hazard. People need to get out, even if for just a few hours. We are known in this area and have not heard anything negative on our website, etc.
Again, I respect your decision to stay home and do your thing. That's your right. Its also my right to do what I'm doing and try to make a living. Whether we're doing Bingo, Trivia, or karaoke, we strive to make it a safe and enjoyable experience for all of our patrons and hosts!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

So it is a question of money, did you apply for the money available to small business's during the first phase of the stimulus package? Are you going to apply during the second phase, that is if it every passes through Congress? You are aware that the worst is not behind us no matter what the president said in his 4 day convention. That we are facing hurricane season, Fall flu season, as well as the fact 1400 citizens died Tuesday, and 1200 more on Wednesday, about the number clapping in front of the White House, for El Presidente. That we are probably going to have to have a second nation wide shut down, sometime in the near future. Personally I'm surprised that half of your former venues are still in business, many have gone under. If we don't shore up the displaced workers we are going to have millions on the street, without food, a very serious and dangerous situation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

spotlightjr wrote:
Not only do I wipe the mics after each use I also have a disposable "paper-like" cap that goes over the mic and then a wind screen on top of that.

There's a big woopie doo for you, folks. The fact that you wipe down your mics and use covers, means nothing. You are still hosting karaoke in a super spreader environment.

I know that people are sick of this and want to be able to go out but this is not the time. If everyone buckled down, and I mean everybody across the country, and followed CDC guidelines, this would all be over by now.

But since this is not happening and people are flooding bars without taking the necessary precautions, this virus will continue to spread. No bar, as well as any other public gathering hot spot should be open at this time.

Here's a trivia question for you...

"How many people across the county have contracted Corona Virus from going to a karaoke bar?"

Bottom line... any place that attracts a public gathering such as bars, movie theaters, etc. should be off limits at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

In California all bars and public eating places are still closed for dinning in. Only take out, if they have outdoor seating are they allowed to be open, with very strict social distancing, wearing of masks,and limits on patron party sizes. Even with these safe guards we have the highest rate of infections, but then again we have the largest population of any state as well. Public health and safety have to take priority over the economy, you can't get back to normal until the health issues are addressed. No one will feel completely at ease until we have an effective, proven vaccine available. Over six million people have been infected, probably more, and over 180,000 lives have been lost. I guess many won't take this pandemic serious though, until they or someone close comes down with it. It is easy to be brave when you have no skin in the game.

P.S. The latest news is that at least two or more of the attendees at the Republican Convention have tested positive for covid-19. You know that event where there was no social distancing, no masks, with everyone getting up close and personal, breathing the same air. Today Trump is planning on having a rally in New Hampshire, I wonder how many will attend, not following safety guidelines? I guess the president won't pay any heed until he or one of his family get infected?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:58 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Just use less expensive mics and consider them as throw-aways/consumable items and/or repaint them with spray paint if you have to for the time being. Wiping mics is here to stay for the time being and a requirement for customer safety which is incumbent upon the venue and yourself to ensure.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

SwingcatKurt wrote:
Just use less expensive mics and consider them as throw-aways/consumable items and/or repaint them with spray paint if you have to for the time being. Wiping mics is here to stay for the time being and a requirement for customer safety which is incumbent upon the venue and yourself to ensure.

That's the whole point isn't it, the venue and the host can't ensure the safety of the patrons, no matter how hard they try. The president is the most protected person on the planet, and he still got it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The days of wiping mics down and changing covers after each performance are over. The biggest risk you take is when you walk through the door of the bar. If they're willing to take that risk, that's not my problem. So, singers have 3 choices...

1. Don't sing.
2. Use a shared mic.
3. Use your own mic.

Remember, people don't care. They are not wearing masks, not practicing social distancing... instead, they are acting like there never was a pandemic. So, I'm done caring. The only time my mics will get wiped down is at the end of the night when I turn them off and put them away.