KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Benefits of post-corona karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
mrscott wrote:
This is an odd question for everyone... but....

Does anybody on here know "personally" anyone who had been confirmed died from the virus? Not someone who knows someone who is the second cousin to the dog groomer's neighbor..... but "ACTUALLY" knows personally.

Just curious

:shock: Funny you should ask we live in Hemet Ca, a retirement community. Locally because of all of the assisted care facilities, and the strict lock down policies deaths have been kept to a minimum. The only people I have come in contact with are those friends that are to old to leave their homes. Their care providers have stopped coming due to being afraid of the virus. I have been keeping tabs on them and making supply drops to them. I don't go in their homes since I don't want to be bringing any germs inside. So far they keep taking the stuff I leave on their porches, I guess when they don't take it I know something is wrong. Another service provided by your friendly mail carrier is to notice when boxes become full, that is a clear sign something could be wrong inside. The carrier is supposed to tell their supervisor so the law can be contacted, and check out the house to make sure everyone is ok.

P.S. Nationally of those seriously ill with the virus and had to be hospitalized 400,860 have recovered, 106,811 have died, so a little more than 25% of those who need to be in the hospital end up dying.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:24 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Capt Frank wrote:

As ex law enforcement and being in countries where anarchy reigns, and the people carry AK47s for protection. I guarantee, you and your family will never want to live in a country like that. These people not only are starving, they're not sure they'll be alive tomorrow.

:!: I as well am ex-military and was trained in riot control, during the anti war movement, and the civil unrest of the late 1960's. Also I have been overseas and have seen other countries mainly Western Europe, they have riots but the citizens there for the most part aren't armed. In this country which is awash with guns, the chances of a real armed uprising is greater, than in a country where only the military and police are armed. Once the people of this country get to the point of starving, and they don't have a roof over their families head, then I think you will see some real ANARCHY. The only way to prevent it is making sure those that have lost their jobs are taken care of.

Well, I don't condone the use of violence at all, from both sides. However, I do enjoy my "right" to own firearms, even tho I actually do not own any guns. And I am also grateful and thankful for those who have given their all to protect that right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:25 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Does anybody on here know "personally" anyone who had been confirmed died from the virus? Not someone who knows someone who is the second cousin to the dog groomer's neighbor..... but "ACTUALLY" knows personally.

Just curious

:shock: Funny you should ask we live in Hemet Ca, a retirement community. Locally because of all of the assisted care facilities, and the strict lock down policies deaths have been kept to a minimum. The only people I have come in contact with are those friends that are to old to leave their homes. Their care providers have stopped coming due to being afraid of the virus. I have been keeping tabs on them and making supply drops to them. I don't go in their homes since I don't want to be bringing any germs inside. So far they keep taking the stuff I leave on their porches, I guess when they don't take it I know something is wrong. Another service provided by your friendly mail carrier is to notice when boxes become full, that is a clear sign something could be wrong inside. The carrier is supposed to tell their supervisor so the law can be contacted, and check out the house to make sure everyone is ok.

P.S. Nationally of those seriously ill with the virus and had to be hospitalized 400,860 have recovered, 106,811 have died, so a little more than 25% of those who need to be in the hospital end up dying.

So your answer to the question is "No", you do not know of anyone personally who has passed away from the virus. Is that a correct statement?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:27 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

P.S. Nationally of those seriously ill with the virus and had to be hospitalized 400,860 have recovered, 106,811 have died, so a little more than 25% of those who need to be in the hospital end up dying.[/quote]

Here in Utah that ratio for hospitalized/deaths is 14.3%

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Now that our governor is allowing patio dining, I know at least one place that is already having karaoke nights. Albeit a relatively early show but nonetheless it is happening. There looks to be 2 new venues opening up and I intend on approaching both of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

So your answer to the question is "No", you do not know of anyone personally who has passed away from the virus. Is that a correct statement?

:!: The more accurate statement is maybe, people I know have passed away during the last 4 months, that is because I know many people who are elderly. Whether they passed away of the virus would be unknown, since no accurate count is possible under the present conditions. I might know people that have died of the virus, and you can't confirm since funerals are not held in the traditional form, and those who die in hospitals die alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
mrscott wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Just curious

I know of 2 friends who died from the virus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
There looks to be 2 new venues opening up and I intend on approaching both of them.

What is your reason for approaching them? Are you looking to pick up more jobs during these uncertain times?

If the answer is yes, do you have what it takes to provide a quality karaoke show to a venue? After all, the competition is fierce. So, let me ask you a question... the same question that a bar owner might ask you:

Why should I hire you over someone else?

And then what would be your response if the bar owner says:

I already spoke to someone else who was cheaper than you.

Please respond to this and I will let you if you have successfully answered the question and have overcome his objection to hire you over the cheaper karaoke host.

Remember, I am here to help you succeed. But you also have to be a good salesman and know how to sell yourself. Simply saying that I have great equipment and that I'm the best around isn't going to cut it.

So, if you need further assistance, please just ask.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:57 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: I miss the good old days, after I got started I rarely had to canvass for jobs. I had a good reputation, and work ethic, and had no problem with gigs, since many venue owners could see for themselves what type of crowds I drew. Of course times have changed and I'm glad I quit at the top.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:12 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

:!: The more accurate statement is maybe, people I know have passed away during the last 4 months, that is because I know many people who are elderly. Whether they passed away of the virus would be unknown, since no accurate count is possible under the present conditions. I might know people that have died of the virus, and you can't confirm since funerals are not held in the traditional form, and those who die in hospitals die alone.

What I see is with very few exceptions, the media does not publish the individual name nor locations of those who are either infected or those who have passed from the virus. I am sure it's for privacy sake, maybe a little to do with courtesy as well. The only 2 people that died that the news hit the media with personal information were the only 2 younger people with no other underlying conditions that died. One was a young lady of 24, and the other a younger man of I believe if I remember right, he was in his early 30's. Those are the only 2 people that the news released the names of the deceased. Even those who were in hospitals or long term facilities, they do not release neither the hospital name nor care center name. I personally only know of one individual that contracted the virus. And he recovered easily. It would be pure speculation on my part to believe that the news would purposely give false numbers of people who died or are infected. If this were so and the word got out to the public, the world would be even in a bigger uproar than the riots have created.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
I rarely had to canvass for jobs.

Same here. I either got hired through word of mouth or by other bar owners who happened to be at the bar I was hosting in on karaoke night and got to see my show for themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
I personally only know of one individual that contracted the virus.

Very nice. OK, enough of this Corona Virus talk. It's here to stay, and there's nothing we can do about it. Actually there is but no one wants to, so it makes no sense to keep going on about it.

In the meantime, you have decided to play Russian Roulette with your life. And if that's what you want, so be it, but eventually the odds are going to turn. And then I'll be able to answer your question that I know someone who's died from this.

Remember, the longer you allow yourself to be in a confined area where people gather, such as a bar, the greater your chances of becoming infected will be. Especially a place where the bar does not have any guidelines such as operating at reduced capacity and keeping tables 6 feet apart.

And Paradigm, you bar that's putting Hand Sanitizer on tables is a joke. So, that is their great contribution to the problem, eh? Your bar opened up with no restrictions and now it's become a CV hotspot.

I know that you don't want to lose your job but it's better than losing your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:05 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
I personally only know of one individual that contracted the virus.

Very nice. OK, enough of this Corona Virus talk. It's here to stay, and there's nothing we can do about it. Actually there is but no one wants to, so it makes no sense to keep going on about it.

In the meantime, you have decided to play Russian Roulette with your life. And if that's what you want, so be it, but eventually the odds are going to turn. And then I'll be able to answer your question that I know someone who's died from this.

Remember, the longer you allow yourself to be in a confined area where people gather, such as a bar, the greater your chances of becoming infected will be. Especially a place where the bar does not have any guidelines such as operating at reduced capacity and keeping tables 6 feet apart.

And Paradigm, you bar that's putting Hand Sanitizer on tables is a joke. So, that is their great contribution to the problem, eh? Your bar opened up with no restrictions and now it's become a CV hotspot.

I know that you don't want to lose your job but it's better than losing your life.

Alan, you do you, and we will do us. Simple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Arizona's total identified cases of COVID-19 rose to 21,250 with 941 known deaths. That's an increase of 1,127 confirmed cases, or 5.6%, since Monday, when the state reported 20,123 identified cases and 917 deaths. This is a record number of new reported cases.

This is what happens when you open up a state way too soon and don't follow the reopening guidelines. I'm sure those numbers will continue to climb. So... unless the bars here took serious precautions, including operating at reduced capacity, tables 6 feet apart, plexiglass partitions, masks, and temperature checks at the door... there is no way I'd be hosting karaoke in this state. The risk is just too great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
mrscott wrote:

Just curious

4 that have died, 2 formerly hospitalized, 5 currently hospitalized.
mind you, this is between Arizona and Illinois.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

Well, I don't condone the use of violence at all, from both sides. However, I do enjoy my "right" to own firearms, even tho I actually do not own any guns. And I am also grateful and thankful for those who have given their all to protect that right.

:!: I was raised around guns, my dad survived during The Great Depression as a boy by hunting and fishing for the family's meat. He fought in WWII and did have guns. There are a few reasons I don't own one. I'm not really a hunter, even though I have been in the military, I never really that I know of, have killed anyone. That is the whole thing about owning a gun for self protection, you have to be willing to use it against another human. If you wave it around there is a good chance you will be shot with your own gun, if the target gets it away from you. My dad always told me " If you pull it out, you have to use it". Makes sense if you feel threatened enough to pull the gun, you have to have the will to pull the trigger. You have the right to own and drive a car, but you can't use it as a deadly weapon, or you can go to jail. If trained police and military have a hard time with the questions of using a firearm, the rest of us are even less able to know how and when to use the gun properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:09 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

:!: I was raised around guns, my dad survived during The Great Depression as a boy by hunting and fishing for the family's meat. He fought in WWII and did have guns. There are a few reasons I don't own one. I'm not really a hunter, even though I have been in the military, I never really that I know of, have killed anyone. That is the whole thing about owning a gun for self protection, you have to be willing to use it against another human. If you wave it around there is a good chance you will be shot with your own gun, if the target gets it away from you. My dad always told me " If you pull it out, you have to use it". Makes sense if you feel threatened enough to pull the gun, you have to have the will to pull the trigger. You have the right to own and drive a car, but you can't use it as a deadly weapon, or you can go to jail. If trained police and military have a hard time with the questions of using a firearm, the rest of us are even less able to know how and when to use the gun properly.

I own guns for the reasons you don't own guns.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Capt Frank wrote:

:!: I've never needed a gun in civilian life, there has never been a time I feel to use one. So why own something you are never going to use, it is a waste.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Capt Frank wrote:

:!: I've never needed a gun in civilian life, there has never been a time I feel to use one. So why own something you are never going to use, it is a waste.

i agree.
Suicide rates are much higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership, even after controlling for differences among states for poverty, urbanization, unemployment, mental illness, and alcohol or drug abuse.
People who report “firearm access” are at twice the risk of homicide and more than three times the risk of suicide compared to those who do not own or have access to firearms.
Domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly with a gun in the home. An abusive partner’s access to a firearm increases the risk of homicide eight-fold for women in physically abusive relationships.

then again...that's only hospital research because it is federally illegal to research gun violence in The United States. something big must be really going on if there is an actual federal law preventing the countries agencies from doing any gun research.
what could they possibly be afraid of seeing?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:38 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Capt Frank wrote:

i agree.
Suicide rates are much higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership, even after controlling for differences among states for poverty, urbanization, unemployment, mental illness, and alcohol or drug abuse.
People who report “firearm access” are at twice the risk of homicide and more than three times the risk of suicide compared to those who do not own or have access to firearms.
Domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly with a gun in the home. An abusive partner’s access to a firearm increases the risk of homicide eight-fold for women in physically abusive relationships.

then again...that's only hospital research because it is federally illegal to research gun violence in The United States. something big must be really going on if there is an actual federal law preventing the countries agencies from doing any gun research.
what could they possibly be afraid of seeing?

This is a discussion for a different forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next