KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - When Karaoke Shows Start Again Will Partons wear masks? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
:?: I know some of you hosts are making plans to go back to work. You have talked about mic covers, are patrons going to have to wear masks at your shows? Mr. Scott said he was wearing a mask, will singers have to sing with mask on, or is it optional? Especially at a bar I would think wearing a mask would be difficult if you are drinking, and singing? What kind of procedure will you have in place? If you do have strict rules how will you enforce compliance? Will everyone be responsible for their own mask or face covering, or are you going to provide, or sell them to customers?

P.S. Sorry about the Partons part, I meant Patrons.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:09 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
:?: I know some of you hosts are making plans to go back to work. You have talked about mic covers, are patrons going to have to wear masks at your shows? Mr. Scott said he was wearing a mask, will singers have to sing with mask on, or is it optional? Especially at a bar I would think wearing a mask would be difficult if you are drinking, and singing? What kind of procedure will you have in place? If you do have strict rules how will you enforce compliance?

P.S. Sorry about the Partons part, I meant Patrons.

I went to the bar last night to set up my equipment early (just to save time tonight). There were only 5 people in the bar at the moment, including me. And I can only give you a review of what I saw at that level. And NO masks were worn by the patrons (or the partons either.. :wink: ) In my area, I doubt very much that the customers nor the singer will be wearing any masks at all. I will report back to you after tonight on how I saw things going, good or bad.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:48 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

As promised, here is the report on how it went last night. I will give my opinion at the end of how I thought it all turned out.

I arrived at early at 8:10 to set up the laptop, mics and zero in the lights. There were a total of 6 people in the bar at the beginning, including me and my better half. Started playing music about 8:45 until around 9:20 when my first singer showed up. I made the announcements about the new rules and let the him sing right away. He followed the rules quite nicely about using hand sanitizer and how to get the mics. It honestly was quite easy to keep the mics and the mic holder wiped down with disinfectant wipes. I didn't even actually have to "touch" the mics while using the wipes. I had a dedicated mic for myself, only I and my better half used that one.

At the peak, there were 30, (we counted) patrons in the bar (mostly younger crowd), and I had a max rotation of 6 people including me and my GF. So that means I only had 4 other singers. I did have 2 others that put a song request in and left the bar within minutes before actually getting to sing their song. I haven't got the remote set up yet for song requests, but I will work on that one. I used the "text" method, which worked ok for as few singers as I had, but if there were more, it would be a huge hassle, since they didn't follow the instructions very well on sending us all the info (song title, artist and singers name). Texting is not the best method, but it was a start and did accomplish what I needed for as few singers there were.

The bartender was awesome all night. She kept the customers happy and was busy all night wiping down surfaces after the patrons came and went. She wore her mask all night long, so did I (except to sing of course) Social distancing from the patrons went out the window very early into the night. I saw people hugging and gathering all night long. I actually expected that after they had a drink or two in them. There were absolutely NO masks worn by the customers.

At the end of the night, the bartender and I spoke briefly about how we thought it went. She thought we actually had a better than expected night, but I thought we would have had more singers. We both agreed that after a few weeks, and the fact the state should be into stage 3 at the beginning of June (meaning we can go without limits on patrons) that the crowds will return and we will be back to full strength again.

My opinion on how I thought it was? It was about what I thought it would be. It will return after a few weeks and the bar will be back to normal. Next week will be another indication of what direction the bar will go.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Glad it went well for you.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:27 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

One thing to add. If there hadn't been some sort of entertainment, the bar would have had only a handful of patrons and would have closed early. But the fact that I was there, even the non singers miss me, made it possible to attract as many as we did. The state is allowing her up to max of 40 (final number). Even with the 30 we had there at peak time, it still looked kind of empty, but it was better than closing early.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:
As promised, here is the report on how it went last night. I will give my opinion at the end of how I thought it all turned out.

I arrived at early at 8:10 to set up the laptop, mics and zero in the lights. There were a total of 6 people in the bar at the beginning, including me and my better half. Started playing music about 8:45 until around 9:20 when my first singer showed up. I made the announcements about the new rules and let the him sing right away. He followed the rules quite nicely about using hand sanitizer and how to get the mics. It honestly was quite easy to keep the mics and the mic holder wiped down with disinfectant wipes. I didn't even actually have to "touch" the mics while using the wipes. I had a dedicated mic for myself, only I and my better half used that one.

At the peak, there were 30, (we counted) patrons in the bar (mostly younger crowd), and I had a max rotation of 6 people including me and my GF. So that means I only had 4 other singers. I did have 2 others that put a song request in and left the bar within minutes before actually getting to sing their song. I haven't got the remote set up yet for song requests, but I will work on that one. I used the "text" method, which worked ok for as few singers as I had, but if there were more, it would be a huge hassle, since they didn't follow the instructions very well on sending us all the info (song title, artist and singers name). Texting is not the best method, but it was a start and did accomplish what I needed for as few singers there were.

The bartender was awesome all night. She kept the customers happy and was busy all night wiping down surfaces after the patrons came and went. She wore her mask all night long, so did I (except to sing of course) Social distancing from the patrons went out the window very early into the night. I saw people hugging and gathering all night long. I actually expected that after they had a drink or two in them. There were absolutely NO masks worn by the customers.

At the end of the night, the bartender and I spoke briefly about how we thought it went. She thought we actually had a better than expected night, but I thought we would have had more singers. We both agreed that after a few weeks, and the fact the state should be into stage 3 at the beginning of June (meaning we can go without limits on patrons) that the crowds will return and we will be back to full strength again.

My opinion on how I thought it was? It was about what I thought it would be. It will return after a few weeks and the bar will be back to normal. Next week will be another indication of what direction the bar will go.

:!: After reading your review it would seem one night is not going to tell if this will work financially or not. I don't know you long your area has been on lock down, the pent up demand seems to be tempered by extreme caution on the part of customers. Your crowd as you said was mostly young and didn't wear masks, so they think they are bullet proof, let us hope so. Another thing to factor in is the added cost of cleaning supplies. During a normal rotation the standard of 3 minutes per song usually means that a host can get off 15 to 16 performances per hour, did the actual continual cleaning of the work station slow this down any? I'm sure everything was kept clean as possible, and having a small crowd helped. What I'm wondering about is if you did what you are supposed to do and gathered a large crowd? If things could be kept orderly, clean, and everyone is safe. You would not want to spike the local infection rate, and go back into a second round of lock down, just when you get it up and running again?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
After reading what you (mrscott) wrote about your experience on your first night back, I find it truly disgusting and proves once again what a bunch of fuc#ing morons people are.

You say that you and the waitress were the only ones to wear a mask. Obviously, these people could care less about their own safety let alone the safety of others.

Then you say that social distancing was not followed since people were hugging each other and not keeping their distance. Totally pathetic. This is what we call a bunch of losers and why this is never going to go away. Because nobody will tale precautions and work together.... especially now, since there is no cure or vaccine.

Because of this display of stupidity among the patrons at the bar, I have no doubt in my mind that the spread of this virus is going to increase tenfold in a very short time in your state.

What the (@$%&#!) is wrong with people?

And the establishment is also to blame. Most bars and restaurants are only allowing 50% capacity, have kept tables at least 6 feet apart and even put partitions up between them. And they enforce social distancing and do not let anybody sit at the bar. And they close by 11 PM.

Sorry but don't think that your low numbers are going to last for long. I got news for you... it's great that you're wearing a mask but you are still at risk since you are in an environment where nobody else seems to care. Remember, doctors and nurses wear masks and gloves but have still contacted the Corona Virus from patients. So, I wouldn't bet my life on wearing a mask. You are a sheep in the lions den.

So my advice to you is... since there is not yet a cure or vaccine, and since the people in the bar don't care about doing the right thing, if you value your life, I would not be doing this at this time.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:?: Just remember that this virus is carried in the air and can live on surfaces for several days. Any touching of surfaces and then coming in contact with the face can result in infection. You are even removing your mask Mr.Scott to sing is your significant other doing the same? If so for the minutes your are performing you are exposed to airborne virus. Are you replacing or washing your masks after every performance? Also the virus has moved from the Blue state hot spots, and it is rural communities, such as yours that are now seeing the spiking in new infections.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

So mrscott, are you willing to risk your life and the life of your better half so some morons with no regard for safety can sing karaoke? Is karaoke worth risking your life for? I would give it some serious thought.

Like I said, there is no cure and no vaccine and customers as well as the bar, are not following social distancing guidelines. So, is this really worth it to you? Again, mask or no mask, you are at a serious risk under these conditions.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: I know that the extra money is needed and that as you have said Mr.Scott you are trying to help out the bar owner, who is having health issues of her own. It is too bad that you are finding yourself in the same spot many Americans are in, they have to choose between working to live and staying healthy to live. People should not have to make that choice. It reminds me of the movie "The Outlaw Josie Whales", when the young bounty hunter says "Have to make a living" and Whales replies "Dying Ain't Much Of A Living".

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Sat May 09, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: I know that the extra money is needed and that as you have said Mr.Scott you are trying to help out the bar owner, who is having health issues of her own. It is too bad that you are finding yourself in the same spot many Americans are in, they have to choose between working to live and staying healthy to live.

The thing is, this is NOT like the flu, which you can get a vaccine for. You can also get some over the counter medicine (ie: Vick's Nyquil)
and in a couple of days it's gone. But since we can't do that with the Corona Virus, the risk is so much greater.

I don't think we're trying to be a Debbie Downer, just caring about the welfare of our fellow karaoke hosts. When I get called back, if precautions are not taken by the bar, such as social distancing, spreading tables apart, etc., I won't be going back. And believe me, nobody wants to go back more than I do. I really miss it, and the money. But we can't go back to the way things used to be before the virus hit. So now, we all have choices to make. I don't mind doing my part as long as the bar does theirs, as well as the customers. If that's not going to happen, then why risk it?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
The thing is, this is NOT like the flu, which you can get a vaccine for. You can also get some over the counter medicine (ie: Vick's Nyquil)
and in a couple of days it's gone. But since we can't do that with the Corona Virus, the risk is so much greater.

I don't think we're trying to be a Debbie Downer, just caring about the welfare of our fellow karaoke hosts. When I get called back, if precautions are not taken by the bar, such as social distancing, spreading tables apart, etc., I won't be going back. And believe me, nobody wants to go back more than I do. I really miss it, and the money. But we can't go back to the way things used to be before the virus hit. So now, we all have choices to make. I don't mind doing my part as long as the bar does theirs, as well as the customers. If that's not going to happen, then why risk it?

:!: One thing to remember Alan is we are only in the second inning of a nine inning ball game, which might go into overtime. The very foothills of the peaks, valleys and level spaces that will make up the successive waves of this pandemic. This reopening with a clear disregard for guidelines is going to cause more infections, and deaths that could have been avoided. If the government would just level with the people and tell them the truth about the situation, I'm sure everyone would do their part to defeat this unseen enemy. The trouble is we are getting misleading, bad, or just stupid information from those in charge. We need to develop a long term plan that takes care of everyone until this national health emergency has passed. Places like Denmark, Germany and others have figured it out, and have been able to reopen, in a slow safe manner. I can't believe that we are so dumb we can't follow examples of others.

P.S. Oh by the way has any host thought of buying one of those temperature scanners to take patrons temperatures at the door? They use them a meat packing sheds, and would tell if any customers are running a fever? Just checked out on Amazon Thermometer non contact price range 86.00 to 77.00. It would be worth it for the bar to buy one and have an employee act as a scanner denying entry if running a fever, after all a bouncer won't let you in if your are already drunk, right?

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Sat May 09, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
If you're under 60 with no major health problems, even if you get it, the odds of you dying from Coronavirus are extremely slim. Even the odds of you needing hospitalization are slim. Until a vaccine is made, everyone else who is at risk should stay home and be the ones who need to take extra precautions. However, don't cancel shows under the pretense that you're protecting anyone. Everyone who is out in public is making a declaration just by being out in public. They're saying they take responsibility for themselves. Everyone knows what's out there now and we now know how to be safer and slow the spread. If you assume the vulnerable are staying home (and you should), then all this talk about who you're responsible for is a mute point. Even if a low-risk person takes home the virus from someone at your show and then gives it to a vulnerable person, that's on them. You are not responsible for every single person down the chain. At some point you have to rely on others to do their part.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Just because they may be running a fever doesn't mean that they have THE virus. Still doesn't mean that they belong out but isn't the end all of end all of tell tells of being infected by the virus.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
If you're under 60 with no major health problems, even if you get it, the odds of you dying from Coronavirus are extremely slim. Even the odds of you needing hospitalization are slim. Until a vaccine is made, everyone else who is at risk should stay home and be the ones who need to take extra precautions. However, don't cancel shows under the pretense that you're protecting anyone. Everyone who is out in public is making a declaration just by being out in public. They're saying they take responsibility for themselves. Everyone knows what's out there now and we now know how to be safer and slow the spread. If you assume the vulnerable are staying home (and you should), then all this talk about who you're responsible for is a mute point. Even if a low-risk person takes home the virus from someone at your show and then gives it to a vulnerable person, that's on them. You are not responsible for every single person down the chain. At some point you have to rely on others to do their part.

Totally agree with you Bob. At some point each individual has to take responsibility for their actions. If the venue and the host are doing everything within their power to keep their customers safe then anything else that contributes to the situation is on the customer. Hosts during the night should take pictures of the customers and their behavior o as to show where certain responsibilities lie to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits.

Last edited by DannyG2006 on Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Just because they may be running a fever doesn't mean that they have THE virus. Still doesn't mean that they belong out but isn't the end all of end all of tell tells of being infected by the virus.

:!: True Danny but it would help screen out customers that don't belong there with others, and adds an extra layer of protection. Even a knight was always looking for and extra piece of equipment to protect themselves. A host will be like a knight doing battle every night, and will need all the protection they can get.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Totally agree with you Bob. At some point each individual has to take responsibility for their actions. If the venue and the host are doing everything within their power to keep their customers safe then anything else that contributes to the situation is on the customer.

:roll: So if everybody is assuming the responsibility for their actions, does that mean gentlemen if they become ill, they will care for themselves, and not seek medical attention, since they have assumed the responsibility? Will we as a society say we have no responsibility to care for these dare devils, since they knew what they were doing was dangerous. Other than seeing that the body is buried to keep the virus in check, will society's hands be clean of their death, since they took on the challenge, and assumed the risk?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

:!: True Danny but it would help screen out customers that don't belong there with others, and adds an extra layer of protection. Even a knight was always looking for and extra piece of equipment to protect themselves. A host will be like a knight doing battle every night, and will need all the protection they can get.

Not arguing that point because I am in agreement that if the person has a fever that they should be turned away.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:

:!: This is all just a bunch of baloney Bob! The odds are not that slim, especially if you don't follow the guidelines, and social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, etc.etc.etc. We have the example of Sweden that didn't follow any of the guidelines, but did have the public option for health care, and did do some testing. Of the confirmed infection cases the mortality rate was over 10%. That means over one out of ten died. If we were to use the same approach in the U.S. with a population of over 330 million, with a minimum infection rate of 60 to 70% total of the population, we would be looking at tens of millions of deaths. Would you really want to see something like that happen, knowing you helped it along, by gathering crowds of people together?

P.S. If we carry your thought out to it's logical conclusion Bob, that each individual will be responsible for his actions or lack thereof, still about 80% of the population feels it is unsafe to go out. You will only have 20% or so venturing out the one's willing to take the risk, maybe it will be better for everyone if that group does get thinned out, who knows?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: This is all just a bunch of baloney Bob! The odds are not that slim, especially if you don't follow the guidelines, and social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, etc.etc.etc.

So let me get this straight. You think the odds of needing hospitalization or risking death go up if you didn't follow the guidelines? Really? The odds don't change at all. If you get it, your odds are the same regardless of what you were doing before you got it or how careless you were.

Did your school principle once have a talk with your mom that started off with the words "Mrs. Gump, your son is going to have to go to a special school...."?

...and yes the odds are very slim. They've already concluded that the virus was here earlier than we thought because most people didn't even need to go to the hospital and didn't raise red flags. When people aren't going to the hospital, they're not getting counted. The hospitalization rate and death rate are far lower than what you see reported. Those are only the recorded cases and does not account for all the people it's already spread through, and that number is way higher. The reason the Johns Hopkins numbers don't show hospitalizations and only show "confirmed cases" and "deaths" is because their numbers come FROM hospitals. It's not like people are calling in and saying "hey I had the symptoms and got over them". They've already concluded some testing in California that showed that far more people already had it than they thought. Why? Nobody is counting the mass amount of people who barely even know they had it, got well, and are now immune.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful, but I am saying you are way too paranoid, and ceasing to have a functioning society is insanity considering the relatively low numbers and the data we now have.