KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Going back to work.... microphones Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
mrscott wrote:

We don't know for certain what the venues will need to be paying. I for one, will be one of the lucky ones that should receive his full fee. Not sure of the rest of the industry. But to say they "won't" be getting full price is not necessarily accurate.

:? It stands to reason if the venue can only seat safely 25 to 50% of their capacity, that will cut their profit margin. The purpose of entertainment is to increase traffic and would be working at cross purposes, with the general reopening plan to control the virus, and make customers feel it is safe to come back out.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

We don't know for certain what the venues will need to be paying. I for one, will be one of the lucky ones that should receive his full fee. Not sure of the rest of the industry. But to say they "won't" be getting full price is not necessarily accurate.

:? It stands to reason if the venue can only seat safely 25 to 50% of their capacity, that will cut their profit margin. The purpose of entertainment is to increase traffic and would be working at cross purposes, with the general reopening plan to control the virus, and make customers feel it is safe to come back out.

OK, so if you were normally getting $150 a night and now, since the bar is losing 50% of their customers, wants to pay you $75 a night, would you do it?

Personally speaking, I feel that we are nowhere near ready to open up bars and restaurants at this time.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

My suggestion is to post this on your page or print it out and display it at your venue. But I am pushing for singers to buy their own mics. This will protect you and them.

Attachments:
shared 2.jpg
shared 2.jpg [ 240.49 KiB | Viewed 20805 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:07 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Alan B wrote:
My suggestion is to post this on your page or print it out and display it at your venue. But I am pushing for singers to buy their own mics. This will protect you and them.

I do see a problem with that idea tho... the mics have to be wired in order for them to use with anyone's system. And that leaves the cord as the potential virus collector. Yes, it's easy to wipe a cord down, but you would have to go out to the stage area and wipe it down between singers. Maybe it will work, I just don't see the flow of the show being very smooth with singer-owned personal microphones. What I am doing is having extra mic screens that I will sanitize along with the body of the mic. If you have enough screens, then they will have time to dry between singers. That way, I can have mics ready to go before the next singer is up.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Alan B wrote:
OK, so if you were normally getting $150 a night and now, since the bar is losing 50% of their customers, wants to pay you $75 a night, would you do it?

Personally speaking, I feel that we are nowhere near ready to open up bars and restaurants at this time.

:? I to feel that bars and restaurants will continue to have poor balance sheets, and won't be able to pay hosts, the whole reason for going back to work is income. The job of the host is to draw a crowd, during social distancing the last thing you want is a crowd. Hosts are part of the gig economy, and can collect unemployment if they have been paying taxes, so if you qualify for unemployment or a small business loan you should apply. I think the money you would get will be more than working at reduced rates, and then adding on all the extra expenses you will be paying out, also protecting yourself from getting sick. Actually it would make more sense to pay hosts not to draw crowds, that would be more of a public service, than creating a potential public health menace.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I do see a problem with that idea tho... the mics have to be wired in order for them to use with anyone's system. And that leaves the cord as the potential virus collector. Yes, it's easy to wipe a cord down, but you would have to go out to the stage area and wipe it down between singers. Maybe it will work, I just don't see the flow of the show being very smooth with singer-owned personal microphones. What I am doing is having extra mic screens that I will sanitize along with the body of the mic. If you have enough screens, then they will have time to dry between singers. That way, I can have mics ready to go before the next singer is up.

You can turn any wired mic into a wireless one...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ess-system

You have just eliminated your cable problem. But seriously, a wired mic is the least of the problem. Remember, before everyone went wireless, we were all using wired mics... and we got along just fine. I would rather put up with the inconvenience to help keep people safe.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:

You have just eliminated your cable problem. But seriously, a wired mic is the least of the problem. Remember, before everyone went wireless, we were all using wired mics... and we got along just fine. I would rather put up with the inconvenience to help keep people safe.

It's not the wired mic itself that is an issue, honestly, I loved my Senn. E835's.... it's the keeping the cord itself clean. Somebody has to handle that cord to plug in the mic, and somebody has to keep that cord clean (you). And to turn a wired one into a wireless one, that means you will be handing the singer the conversion unit directly into their hand. Not a bad thing to use under normal circumstances, it's just not as convenient to the flow of the show , in my opinion. If you have figured out a way to solve the flow issue, then I say go for it. I myself might even have a cord plugged and ready for those who might want to buy and use their own microphones. I do have that capability

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:

It's not the wired mic itself that is an issue, honestly, I loved my Senn. E835's.... it's the keeping the cord itself clean. Somebody has to handle that cord to plug in the mic, and somebody has to keep that cord clean (you). And to turn a wired one into a wireless one, that means you will be handing the singer the conversion unit directly into their hand. Not a bad thing to use under normal circumstances, it's just not as convenient to the flow of the show , in my opinion. If you have figured out a way to solve the flow issue, then I say go for it. I myself might even have a cord plugged and ready for those who might want to buy and use their own microphones. I do have that capability

If you take the time to sterilize the mics, change the mic covers after each performance, etc... the flow is going to be reduced. That's a given. I don't think most people will care. I would rather take an extra minute or so between singers to keep things clean and safe. And I don't think that there's going to be any singers complain about waiting a little longer to sing because you're trying to keep them safe. Things will never be what they once were... this is a whole new ballgame with whole new rules.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Mr. Scott, make use of the scroller and train your singers to pay attention to it. If they want to use their own personal mics have them attach their mics to the cord or adapter kept in its own personal space prior to being called up and then disconnect it after the song after use. They can be held responsible for using hand sanitizer before and after handling the cord or adapter.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:31 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:

If you take the time to sterilize the mics, change the mic covers after each performance, etc... the flow is going to be reduced. That's a given. I don't think most people will care. I would rather take an extra minute or so between singers to keep things clean and safe. And I don't think that there's going to be any singers complain about waiting a little longer to sing because you're trying to keep them safe. Things will never be what they once were... this is a whole new ballgame with whole new rules.

Using wireless mics, it's only the bonus of being able to clean and sterilize mics "while" a singer is singing, rather than "between" singers. I wish you luck too!! :D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

There is no bonus to using wireless mics. NONE. It is much safer for the singer to use their own mic. This way it is theirs and theirs alone and they wouldn't be sharing with anyone. And if it takes longer in between customers, who gives a (@$%&#!)? We're talking about safety.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:32 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:
There is no bonus to using wireless mics. NONE. It is much safer for the singer to use their own mic. This way it is theirs and theirs alone and they wouldn't be sharing with anyone. And if it takes longer in between customers, who gives a <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>? We're talking about safety.

Or at least their own personal windscreen.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:57 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
There is no bonus to using wireless mics. NONE. It is much safer for the singer to use their own mic. This way it is theirs and theirs alone and they wouldn't be sharing with anyone. And if it takes longer in between customers, who gives a <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>? We're talking about safety.

Here is how I see the entire situation we are facing. NO matter what we do, we will NEVER be able to eliminate the entire risk of spreading germs ("all inclusive"). This current virus threat we are all facing is no different. We can wash our hands, wipe down every single surface we come into contact with. There will ALWAYS be the need to touch something in order to clean it, even gloves do not help entirely. We still have to handle the gloves just to put them on our hands. All we can do is the best we can do and use common sense. By using some sort of disinfecting wipes/cloths/spray on the mics and commonly touched surfaces, along with hand sanitizer, that is really all anyone can expect. So, if we do that much, I feel that is the very best we can do as hosts to show we are doing our part.

There will not be very many people at all who would go out and purchase their own mics (in my opinion, all dependent on their level of karaoke enthusiasm). But whether using wired or wireless mics, as long as we are doing our due diligence in sanitizing/sterilizing, then our shows can go on.