KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Why Virtualdj over DEX? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why Virtualdj over DEX?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Why pay $299 US Dollars for Pro license Virtualdj 2020 when the $149 DEX 3 Pro is far superior?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Why pay $299 US Dollars for Pro license Virtualdj 2020 when the $149 DEX 3 Pro is far superior?

I agree. I recently bought DEX 3 Pro and love it. Virtual DJ is a great program also but is way over priced at $300.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

I agree. I recently bought DEX 3 Pro and love it. Virtual DJ is a great program also but is way over priced at $300.

They are working on their own remote request system and scroller with the remote request system taking first importance. Hopefully it's way better than ask the DJ.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

They are working on their own remote request system and scroller with the remote request system taking first importance. Hopefully it's way better than ask the DJ.

DEX 3 is an awesome DJ program but I would not use it to run a karaoke show... nor would I use Virtual DJ for karaoke. Even they both will play karaoke files, they are very basic and don't have all of the features that a dedicated karaoke hosting program such as CompuHost or Karma will have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:08 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 37 times
DannyG2006 wrote:

Why pay $149 US Dollars for DEX 3 Pro when Mixxx and OpenKJ is $0?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

1) it's easier to add new songs on the fly. 2 DEX does both DJ and karaoke . 3 DEX plays all of my DJ files, audio and video. Mixx only plays audio. I use DEX for gigs that require better mixing of the DJ music and OpenKJ for basic karaoke gigs where I can get away with just playing the songs back to back.
4 either way I only need to run a single player software for my needs. The only other software that I have to use is file explorer with OpenKJ and OpenKJ Songbook with DEX. I will be doing my buy on the fly downloading on a separate computer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:39 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

1) it's easier to add new songs on the fly. 2 DEX does both DJ and karaoke . 3 DEX plays all of my DJ files, audio and video. Mixx only plays audio. I use DEX for gigs that require better mixing of the DJ music and OpenKJ for basic karaoke gigs where I can get away with just playing the songs back to back.
4 either way I only need to run a single player software for my needs. The only other software that I have to use is file explorer with OpenKJ and OpenKJ Songbook with DEX. I will be doing my buy on the fly downloading on a separate computer.

Understand. However, for those you who don't need video, Mixxx is currently field testing a Public Beta of Version 2.3 that has a number of significant improvements, and is pretty bug free at this time -
https://mixxx.org/news/2020-06-07-mixxx-2-3-beta-released/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Understand. However, for those you who don't need video, Mixxx is currently field testing a Public Beta of Version 2.3 that has a number of significant improvements, and is pretty bug free at this time -

PCDJ DEX 3 and Virtual DJ are both the best DJ software out there. The others, including the one you mention, are toys. If you're a professional, and you only want the best, you're going to use one of the two listed in the opening sentence. If you're a cheap SOB or don't care about quality, then you might use the others.

But, even PCDJ and Virtual DJ both have home versions that are free that blow away what you're pushing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

PCDJ DEX 3 and Virtual DJ are both the best DJ software out there. The others, including the one you mention, are toys. If you're a professional, and you only want the best, you're going to use one of the two listed in the opening sentence. If you're a cheap SOB or don't care about quality, then you might use the others.

But, even PCDJ and Virtual DJ both have home versions that are free that blow away what you're pushing.

The only advantage that I see mixx having over DEX 3 LE is the ability to use a controller with it but unlike DEX 3 LE, mixx can't play the audio of mp4 files. Virtualdj on the otherhand can play full video and karaoke. No need for a second hardware. Only difference between DEX 3 Pro and the free version of Virtualdj is actual Rotation management.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:46 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
Alan B wrote:

Professionals are either going to use dedicated CDJ hardware or the will use Serato (strong mobile DJ presence), Rekordbox (easy transition to CDJs), or Traktor (people invested in that ecosystem) in conjunction with a DJ controller that has first party support for one of those apps.

PCDJ DEX 3 and Virtual DJ are not widely used by professional DJs.

Mixxx is a viable alternative that is more capable than many entry-level programs like Serato Lite.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:13 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

GentlemanBronco wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Professionals are either going to use dedicated CDJ hardware or the will use Serato (strong mobile DJ presence), Rekordbox (easy transition to CDJs), or Traktor (people invested in that ecosystem) in conjunction with a DJ controller that has first party support for one of those apps.

PCDJ DEX 3 and Virtual DJ are not widely used by professional DJs.

Mixxx is a viable alternative that is more capable than many entry-level programs like Serato Lite.

To that I say bs. The only professionals in my area that I know either use DEX or Virtualdj. I have yet to see any of the other software in use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
used them both, used DEX when i first started actually.
both are good for DJ but not for karaoke. they can PLAY karaoke fine, but are missing too many features i use every day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
used them both, used DEX when i first started actually.
both are good for DJ but not for karaoke. they can PLAY karaoke fine, but are missing too many features i use every day.

DEX has probably made great progress since then. Only missing 2 elements to make it as complete on the karaoke side as it is on the DJ side in my opinion and you know how picky I am on software. Just needs a scroller and a remote request system and it's complete which is more than I can say for most karaoke programs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:26 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
To that I say bs. The only professionals in my area that I know either use DEX or Virtualdj. I have yet to see any of the other software in use.

Your anecdote is not representative of the DJ population.

Here's a survey from earlier this year of over 35,000 DJs that confirms my statement about Serato and Rekordbox. It looks like Traktor is fading faster than I thought and is just barely above VirtualDJ although it is still in 3rd place.

1st place Serato is at 34% and 2nd place Rekordbox is at 24%. Together the represent a clear majority of the respondents. 4th place VirtualDJ is only 16%.

In the comments for that survey somebody put together a graph that shows for the past 6 years of this survey VirtualDJ has fluctuated between 14% and 19% and never come close to Serato. Rekordbox is newer but has grown rapidly and surpassed VirtualDJ last year.

DEX was not mentioned by name. It may be part of the 4% of "Other" respondents.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

All I care 3 is a program that is friendly to both karaoke and DJ applications. That really rules out Serato and Reckordbox as even candidates for what I consider the best software. Right now it's a tie between Virtualdj and DEX. PCDJ is running full tilt to having their remote request system up and running before the end of the year, maybe sooner. I am hoping that it will at least allow both DJ requests as well as karaoke and even allow putting in requests not in the library to allow me to search and buy on the fly both DJ and karaoke songs that I don't have. I plan on actually carrying three different computers, one for buy on the fly and 2 for running the show, one as my primary player and the other one for backup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:20 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
All I care 3 is a program that is friendly to both karaoke and DJ applications.

Horses for Courses. Too often a Jack of All Trades app becomes too buggy and unstable, a criticism I have heard about PCDJ DEX's versions that will play mp4's.

Nonetheless, for those who like that sort of thing, has anyone ever tried Virtual DJ Studio (not to be confused with VDJ) -
https://www.vdj.net/

I used an older version of it when I first started DJ'ing, it worked well with one glaring fault - it did not track songs played. Newer versions became much more Karaoke oriented, so I stopped using it for straight DJ'ing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Horses for Courses. Too often a Jack of All Trades app becomes too buggy and unstable, a criticism I have heard about PCDJ DEX's versions that will play mp4's.

Nonetheless, for those who like that sort of thing, has anyone ever tried Virtual DJ Studio (not to be confused with VDJ) -

I used an older version of it when I first started DJ'ing, it worked well with one glaring fault - it did not track songs played. Newer versions became much more Karaoke oriented, so I stopped using it for straight DJ'ing.

Video DJ Studio won't play most of my newer karaoke songs as I only buy mp4 files due to the fact that karaoke version mp4 files have better cues for singers to come in and Party Tyme mp3+g songs have no cues but their mp4 files do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:26 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Like I said the only things that would bring me to choose Virtualdj over DEX is the fact that they at least have a basic remote request system alerts and a video skin that would show the next three singers during play. But I don't want to spend the time adjusting every single singer every song request. Which is what makes DEX superior to Virtualdj. With Virtualdj you have to put the song into the playlist, add the singer's name after adding to playlist and then manually move it to where it should be in the playlist. I refuse to call it a rotation list because of the fact that it doesn't manage a rotation at all. DEX's playlist moves the singer's name as the songs play dropping the last played singer's name to the bottom of the list like a regular karaoke program that utilizes rotation management.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:11 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Video DJ Studio won't play most of my newer karaoke songs as I only buy mp4 files due to the fact that karaoke version mp4 files have better cues for singers to come in and Party Tyme mp3+g songs have no cues but their mp4 files do.

Virtual DJ & Karaoke Studio DOES play mp4 files. If you have no real experience with the program, that's fine - just say so.
https://www.vdj.net/screenshots.php

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Virtual DJ & Karaoke Studio DOES play mp4 files. If you have no real experience with the program, that's fine - just say so.
https://www.vdj.net/screenshots.php

Notas karaoke.