KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Remakes That Are Better Than The Original Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Perhaps "Better" isn't the right word... How about "Different"...

Got an email request from one of my "regulars" for the MTV unplugged version of A-Ha's "Take On Me", and I thought "here comes a screw-up", but I was wrong. I downloaded it from Karaoke Version, and it turns out to be excellent.. She sang, or rather performed it on Saturday night, and nailed it.

I don't normally like remakes... I usually find them to be poor representations of the originals, but there are obvious exceptions. For instance, I'm a big fan of Jerry Lee Lewis' interpretations of several classic country songs such as "You Win Again" etc. By the same token, I'm not so sure about Chris Stapleton's version of "Tennessee Whiskey".

How about listing an example or two of remakes that you prefer over the originals?

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Michael Bolton's Georgia on my mind, when a man loves a woman, to love somebody and dock of the bay are all great remakes that are better than the original.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Michael Bolton's Georgia on my mind, when a man loves a woman, to love somebody and dock of the bay are all great remakes that are better than the original.

And yet, the moment I hear "any" Michael Bolton remake, I immediately change the channel/station. Different strokes for different folks. It'd be a sad old world if we all liked and disliked the same things.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:19 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Earl wrote:

Got an email request from one of my "regulars" for the MTV unplugged version of A-Ha's "Take On Me", and I thought "here comes a screw-up", but I was wrong. I downloaded it from Karaoke Version, and it turns out to be excellent.. She sang, or rather performed it on Saturday night, and nailed it.

I don't normally like remakes... I usually find them to be poor representations of the originals, but there are obvious exceptions. For instance, I'm a big fan of Jerry Lee Lewis' interpretations of several classic country songs such as "You Win Again" etc. By the same token, I'm not so sure about Chris Stapleton's version of "Tennessee Whiskey".

How about listing an example or two of remakes that you prefer over the originals?

I often prefer the 'remakes' of older songs simply because I never heard of the original. Tennessee Whiskey is a perfect example, I only heard the remake and loved it, disliked the original after I heard it sung a couple years later for the first time. Typical twangy country, Stapleton made it very bluesy and full of soul.
People that grew up and loved the original will most likely dislike the remake - I usually fall into that category as well. A few exceptions where I grew up with the old and prefer the new (or like both versions)
Disturbed - Sound Of Silence (originally Simon & Garfunkel)
311 - Love Song (originally the Cure)
Bad Wolves - Zombie (originally Cranberries)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:29 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Earl wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

And yet, the moment I hear "any" Michael Bolton remake, I immediately change the channel/station. Different strokes for different folks. It'd be a sad old world if we all liked and disliked the same things.

I would rather sing Bolton's Dock of the bay rather than the original mainly because I don't have to whistle but I still think that Bolton's has a better sounding ending.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
Earl wrote:

Tennessee Whiskey is a great example of improving the original. It's a totally different song. Seems he used the I'd Rather Go Blind Etta James backtrack music and incorporated the words of T Whiskey into it. IMHO a nice improvement!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Michael Buble's "I'm Your Man" works way better for karaoke than the hard-to-find Leonard Cohen original (I may have sent pounds to a friend in the UK to get me a version of that).

Not sure if the Indigo Girls' cover of "Romeo & Juliet" is available for karaoke, but I prefer that cover to the Dire Straits original, which I also love. I'm also really partial to Sonic Youth's Carpenters' "Superstar" cover.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:03 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
I like Bernard Allison's Remake of Muddy Waters, Cadillac Assembly Line.
But to give Credit to the Older Blues Artists, the Genre seems to Evolve at
its own Pace.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile