KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - karaoke DJs, please weigh-in on this... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
hey everyone. haven't posted in a minute. hope y'all doing fine this year

got something for ya. how would y'all deal with this:

so, i've been hosting karaoke at a local asian steakhouse for 3 yrs so far. i like the venue. the staff still rocks with me and show no sign of our relationship going sour.

but on 2 different occasions, when i've used the restroom, i've noticed a staff member not washings his hands afterwords. funny thing is, i'm not one of those folks who really harps on this type of thing. but i've noticed it twice without paying attention to that type of stuff. it may've happened more than that. i just don't really focus.

i don't eat there because i'm too busy hosting. but i'm worried that any patron will happen to notice that too. other times when i've been in there i've seen other staff members wash hands afterwards. not sure if this is a repeat offender or two different dudes.

so, should i address this? how do i address this? is this worth addressing or should i let them fall on their own sword? if i let them fall on their own sword will it come back to haunt me that i could've done something? should i do an anonymous letter? will they figure out it's me? will that tarnish our relationship if i whistleblow?

there are american staff working there though it's asian-owned. and even though it's asian owned the sign outside doesn't match the asians who work inside. for example if it says chinese restaurant outside the majority of the staff is japanese. or if it says thai restaurant outside a majority of the staff is japanese and chinese.

do i say something to the american staff who may casually mention i'm the person who ratted on them? if i let one of the regular karaoke singers do my dirty work, will the restaurant retaliate against that singer?

anyone dealt with this?

it's just so weird to see a staff member piss in a stall right next to you and quickly walk right out the door. like, you're in there in the bathroom, you can't miss it. and for it to happen at least 2x, i'm like, dude, what if a patron was in here and saw that? patrons use this bathroom all the time at the same time too. amazing it hasn't happened yet.

any thoughts?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:35 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

and this shouldn't need to be said but, this thread isn't a knock on anyone's particular background for not washing their hands. i'm mentioning that it's an asian restaurant so you can see it's not a chain of american restaurant type thing. if anything, i blame it on the age of the person leaning on the fact that they're youngish and probably hasn't experienced anyone warning them.

and the second time this happened, i looked and didn't immediately notice any signs in the bathroom saying employees need to wash hands so there's that, too

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

oh and i thought about saying something at the time to the person when it happened, but it happened so fast. i'm at the sink, he's at the stall, he zips up, looks at the mirror and strolls out. soon as the door opened, i was about to yell out, "hey", but thought against it, he was already out. he actively prepares the food outside in front of folks and behind the scenes. since i've been working there 3 yrs, i kinda recognize faces, i guess, but i don't know names. and staff gets turned over...they may recognize me but since i don't eat there, i just host there, i don't quickly recognize all of the asian staff members immediately since we don't have a rapport. sadly, i recognize the american co-workers better because we have a rapport, they may ask me something.

again, for me, i don't immediately care. i'm worried about other patrons seeing this. they will not take kindly to that.

should i mention it to my singers? warn them? i don't know...

thought about leaving an anonymous note. now wondering if an anoymous typed letter would be the trick. i know the owner. i should be able to tell her face to face, but i'm still wondering if that would set off our relationship differently. will she think i'm always watching which i'm not...i dunno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:39 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Product 19 wrote:
oh and i thought about saying something at the time to the person when it happened, but it happened so fast. i'm at the sink, he's at the stall, he zips up, looks at the mirror and strolls out. soon as the door opened, i was about to yell out, "hey", but thought against it, he was already out. he actively prepares the food outside in front of folks and behind the scenes. since i've been working there 3 yrs, i kinda recognize faces, i guess, but i don't know names. and staff gets turned over...they may recognize me but since i don't eat there, i just host there, i don't quickly recognize all of the asian staff members immediately since we don't have a rapport. sadly, i recognize the american co-workers better because we have a rapport, they may ask me something.

again, for me, i don't immediately care. i'm worried about other patrons seeing this. they will not take kindly to that.

should i mention it to my singers? warn them? i don't know...

thought about leaving an anonymous note. now wondering if an anoymous typed letter would be the trick. i know the owner. i should be able to tell her face to face, but i'm still wondering if that would set off our relationship differently. will she think i'm always watching which i'm not...i dunno

Actually, I think you SHOULD tell the owner/management straight away. Your relationship won't suffer at all, in fact it will show that you are concerned for the well being of your patrons. I wouldn't say a word to the offending person at all, let management handle that. Nor would I say a word to the patrons, they need to have confidence in the safety in the food they are consuming.

The owner definitely needs to know so they can address the issue behind closed doors. If you know beyond any level of certainty that it is a continuing problem, then it's your responsibility to let them know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I agree with letting the owner know.

Then again... on another note...

Do you think that all of your singers who just came out of the bathroom who are up next to sing have washed their hands? I doubt it. And there's really no way to be sure. Yet, they will come up and handle the microphone. And then pass on the contamination to the next singer.

Now, we can wipe the mic down after each use but how many hosts actually bother doing so?

The point is not washing your hands affects more than just the restaurant staff handling/serving food.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

thanks for the replies

actually, i do wipe down the mic after each singer--with my shirt of all things.
i know. it's not the most sanitary thing, but it's a weird habit i have. after each mic user.

i'll try my absolute best to tell the owner next time i see her.

by the way, the owner is a young female. and i don't know her well, but she comes across as someone who won't tolerate it. and i'm male and the dude(s) who didn't wash their hands were male too. if she doesn't out me, the dudes will eventually figure out it's me.

in other words, i'm trying to say i can't cop out and get a female to complain on my behalf since the cats who didn't wash their hands were also male.

i just don't want any trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Definitely tell the owner. Employees are supposed to wash their hands, period. And there's a reason for that. If they're too lazy to do so, they don't need to be working in a restaurant and contributing to food contamination. Not washing your hands can cause bacteria, and other food borne illnesses.

If these employees don't care about the safety of their patrons, then you shouldn't care about these scum employees.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:00 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
Definitely tell the owner. Employees are supposed to wash their hands, period. And there's a reason for that. If they're too lazy to do so, they don't need to be working in a restaurant and contributing to food contamination. Not washing your hands can cause bacteria, and other food borne illnesses.

If these employees don't care about the safety of their patrons, then you shouldn't care about these scum employees.

I agree with this, except for the one word you used. "Scum" is definitely not appropriate, I would rather use the word "lazy" or "reckless".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I agree with this, except for the one word you used. "Scum" is definitely not appropriate, I would rather use the word "lazy" or "reckless".

Well, maybe that was a little harsh but this subject really gets to me since these employees obviously care nothing about the health and well being of it's customers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:28 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Product 19 wrote:
thanks for the replies

actually, i do wipe down the mic after each singer--with my shirt of all things.
i know. it's not the most sanitary thing, but it's a weird habit i have. after each mic user.

i'll try my absolute best to tell the owner next time i see her.

by the way, the owner is a young female. and i don't know her well, but she comes across as someone who won't tolerate it. and i'm male and the dude(s) who didn't wash their hands were male too. if she doesn't out me, the dudes will eventually figure out it's me.

in other words, i'm trying to say i can't cop out and get a female to complain on my behalf since the cats who didn't wash their hands were also male.

i just don't want any trouble.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are just as guilty as those who aren't washing their hands. If you are "wiping" your mics on your shirt each time, then you are spreading germs even more so than they are. Either don't wipe them down, or best yet, use disinfectant wipes on your mics. But your shirt is a playground of germs.