KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Do You Tell Your Singers The Truth? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
When a singer finishes a performance and asks "How was I", are you honest with them? Do you tell a bad singer that they sucked? Or do you lie and say that they sounded great? So.......... the question of the day is....... How truthful are you with your singers?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Alan it is karaoke for heaven's sake not American Idol! You are the host not a critic! Why do you think most karaoke hosts dislike karaoke contests so much? It divides your singers and has them pitted one against the other, where they used to be a unit and clapped for everyone. I have said this many times, I will say it once again "just having the courage to get up and sing a song takes guts, it is like taking your clothes off in front of a group of people, they will see very soon how much talent you have or not". When hosting job number one is playing to your crowd, and making them feel welcome. If you don't do that you might as well run your show at home, then you can have it the way you want it. It's lonely at the top. :( :( :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:10 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Alan it is karaoke for heaven's sake not American Idol! You are the host not a critic! Why do you think most karaoke hosts dislike karaoke contests so much? It divides your singers and has them pitted one against the other, where they used to be a unit and clapped for everyone. I have said this many times, I will say it once again "just having the courage to get up and sing a song takes guts, it is like taking your clothes off in front of a group of people, they will see very soon how much talent you have or not". When hosting job number one is playing to your crowd, and making them feel welcome. If you don't do that you might as well run your show at home, then you can have it the way you want it. It's lonely at the top. :( :( :(

What a great response! And of course, I agree with everything you've said. But you know me, I have to post these kinds of questions to keep this forum interesting, otherwise it can get pretty boring. So we need these kind of posts that create sensationalism. Personally, I have never told anyone that their singing sucked (even if it did). I'm too nice for that.

Now, I may not enjoy listening to bad singers but I treat all of my people with dignity and respect. I encourage everyone to have fun and I usually compliment and thank every singer at the end of their performance. I also try to make it a point to acknowledge and greet every singer that walks through the door as well as saying goodbye to them and thank them for coming when they leave.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:16 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
If they want straight honesty, i'll tell them - and usually just to a point where i'll say a couple parts still need work or they might try dropping (raising) the key next time to fit their voice better. Otherwise it gets sugar coated.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:49 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Just let them know area they may want to work on or improve and leave it at that. With Lon on this. Don't want to crush their dreams!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

SwingcatKurt wrote:
Just let them know area they may want to work on or improve and leave it at that. With Lon on this. Don't want to crush their dreams!

Dreams? And what are these dreams that you speak of? The dream of being a great karaoke singer? LOL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Exactly! 8) The dream of commanding the stage, giving the performance of their life and having the crowd full of drunks in the bar screaming and applauding wildly and patting them on the back telling them how they "NAILED IT" when their song is done!.............THAT DREAM!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:08 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Alan B....I see your avatar is a Shure 55 stage mic.................do you ACTUALLY have one at your show???

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

SwingcatKurt wrote:
Alan B....I see your avatar is a Shure 55 stage mic.................do you ACTUALLY have one at your show???

No I don't. I use Sennheiser and GTD Audio wireless mics at my shows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
SwingcatKurt wrote:

Dreams? And what are these dreams that you speak of? The dream of being a great karaoke singer? LOL
Um their dreams of not being told they suck and maybe no longer wanting to sing and have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
SwingcatKurt wrote:

Yes, I do indeed have two superb Shure 55’s utilized by my singers.

Oops, sorry. SwingcatKurt, that question was inferred for Alan. I saw the letter “B” (Alan B), and I thought it was for me, B as in Brian. :wink:

Anyway, I am appreciative for the inquiry. Congrats to you, to spotlightjr and mrmarog, in like manner satisfied and proud owners of this novel cross breed mics. :D
Attachment:
shure55.png
shure55.png [ 182.13 KiB | Viewed 41796 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

SwingcatKurt wrote:
Exactly! 8) The dream of commanding the stage, giving the performance of their life and having the crowd full of drunks in the bar screaming and applauding wildly and patting them on the back telling them how they "NAILED IT" when their song is done!.............THAT DREAM!!

It's a moderate Sunday unwinding, following two evenings of hectic karaoke hosting. Simply relaxing around perusing the threads, so I thought maybe I'll research the prominent artists who have karaoke roots.

Quote from SwingcatKurt: "The dream of commanding the stage, giving the performance of their life"………………….and hopefully be discovered like the following artists:

Arnel Pineda, now the frontman of the legendary rock band Journey is living proof that dreams can come true. He started singing karaoke, then formed his band. He was discovered by Neal Schoen (Journey’s lead guitarist) when his videos on youtube went viral.

Mary J. Blige got her chance when a recording of her cover of "Caught Up In The Rapture" from a karaoke booth fell into the hands of the CEO of Uptown records. The company put her under contract immediately.

Taylor Swift got her start by participating in karaoke contests. She went to Nashville where she handed out demos of her performances to record labels. Her persistence paid off when Big Machine Records signed her to a very lucrative deal.

Mindy McCready (r.i.p.): hits "Ten Thousand Angels," "Guys Do It All The Time." An avid karaoke aficionado who frequently sings karaoke in Florida bars, she headed to Nashville, equipped with her karaoke tapes and was soon signed to a recording contract with BNA Records, followed by Capitol Records.

Tommy DeCarlo's daughter uploaded videos of his karaoke tapes to her MySpace page singing his favorite Boston tunes which caught the eye of Boston founder Tom Scholz. Now DeCarlo is living out his dreams as Boston's frontman.

Rihanna was discovered in her home country of Barbados by American record producer Evan Rogers while singing karaoke. The demo shipped to Def Jam Records who signed her on their label.

Almost famous David J. Archuleta has been singing karaoke mostly at home. At 12 years old, he (with his parents) came to my show in Orange County, CA for three successive nights to practice his techniques for his upcoming finals in L.A.. He became the winner of Junior Vocal Champion on Star Search. Fast forward five years later, the seventh season of American Idol finals, the battle between two David's - Cook the rocker and Archuleta the crooner. The rocker David Cook won.

"Dreams do come true"! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:
"Dreams do come true"!

Brian, while it is certainly possible, as is evidenced from the examples you posted above, it is very rare. 99.9% of karaoke singers will always be... just karaoke singers.

There is a lot of talent out there, for sure. But the truth is most of the people who possess it will never become that aspiring star and never get to realize their dreams. And that's just the way it is. Sad, but that's reality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:

Oops, sorry. SwingcatKurt, that question was inferred for Alan. I saw the letter “B” (Alan B), and I thought it was for me, B as in Brian. :wink:

Interception!

Nice play, Brian! But who do you think you're fooling? Once again, here's Brian doing what he does best. I mean c'mon... "I thought it was for me"?... seriously??

You may fool others Brian, but you can't fool me. However, I must say, I'm very impressed with your rhetoric and your little scheme to hijack this thread to make it about you. A true master of manipulation. Nice job!

Keep up the good work! LOL

P.S. I'm so impressed with the way you so eloquently hijacked this thread that if I lived near you, I'd be taking you out for dinner and drinks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:10 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
Brian A wrote:
"Dreams do come true"!

Brian, while it is certainly possible, as is evidenced from the examples you posted above, it is very rare. 99.9% of karaoke singers will always be... just karaoke singers.

There is a lot of talent out there, for sure. But the truth is most of the people who possess it will never become that aspiring star and never get to realize their dreams. And that's just the way it is. Sad, but that's reality.

Oh yes, I would expect no less :wink: — the ever pessimistic Alan. :cry:

Note to self: On my next show, I will let my singers know that only 00.01% will make it big singing karaoke and they could be 99.9% who will be just karaoke singers. Just crush their dreams right off the bat. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:15 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
Brian A wrote:

Interception!

Nice play, Brian! But who do you think you're fooling? Once again, here's Brian doing what he does best. I mean c'mon... "I thought it was for me"?... seriously??

You may fool others Brian, but you can't fool me. However, I must say, I'm very impressed with your rhetoric and your little scheme to hijack this thread to make it about you. A true master of manipulation. Nice job!

Keep up the good work! LOL

Reality Alert! Alan can't take a joke.

I can't believe you took my post for real. It's a well-established fact to all seasoned posters here that when you make a statement and followed with an emoji or emoticons that you are not being deliberate.

Hence, my statement: "I saw the letter “B” (Alan B), and I thought it was for me, B as in Brian".   :wink:

And btw, although indirectly (question pertains to you) my answer was from SwingCat's question: "Alan B....I see your avatar is a Shure 55 stage mic.................do you ACTUALLY have one at your show???"

So, I posted Shure 55 image. Therefore, it was not a hijack. 8)

Last edited by Brian A on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
P.S. I'm so impressed with the way you so eloquently hijacked this thread that if I lived near you, I'd be taking you out for dinner and drinks.

My welcome to you and your family from a year ago to go to my show still stands - dinner and drinks on me. Let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:
Alan B wrote:

My welcome to you and your family from a year ago to go to my show still stands - dinner and drinks on me. Let me know.

Brian, I would love more than anything to take you up on your offer but we a great distance away. But it sure would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
My truthful answer is "Yes, I've been known to lie at times." I have several developmentally-challenged people attend my shows every week... They stay for the first hour or so, and I manipulate the rotation when necessary to ensure they each get to sing. Of this group of six or eight people, only one asks "How did I do?" and I always reply "Diane, you were wonderful" or words to that effect. And for that comment, I get a smile that lights up the whole room.

But, more often than not, I'll answer the question the way Lon and Kurt do (see above).

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:25 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
I used to provide feedback as Lonnie laid out. If they wanted honest, I would give them honest. Some singers really need to hear honest. The good singers that think they are fantastic and wants honesty would get it. Followed by, I'm a KJ, I am not Simon Cowell so take it for what it's worth. A decent singer that wants to get better would get similar critiques and Lonnie.. Other wise, Great Job! Can mean a lot of things without actually lying.. :rotflmao:

BTW, I have had a few singers I would send to the auditions. I would not hesitate to tell them they should go try out.