Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums
http://karaokescene.com/forums/

Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?
http://karaokescene.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39608
Page 5 of 6

Author:  Brian A [ Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Alan B wrote:
How cool is this? LOL.

It's very cool, Alan. LOL
Attachment:
alan.png
alan.png [ 135.58 KiB | Viewed 1966 times ]

Author:  Brian A [ Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

All singers are welcome to sing @ my show, good or bad. Bad singers are entertaining as well (in a good way). 8)

Author:  Alan B [ Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Brian A wrote:
All singers are welcome to sing @ my show, good or bad. Bad singers are entertaining as well (in a good way). 8)

So, if you had one bad singer that was driving customers away, you would still let them sing?

Author:  Brian A [ Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Alan B wrote:
Brian A wrote:
All singers are welcome to sing @ my show, good or bad. Bad singers are entertaining as well (in a good way). 8)

So, if you had one bad singer that was driving customers away, you would still let them sing?

The answer is Yes! because they don't drive my customers away.

The key is tolerance, Alan. Similarly, I get my share of bad singers. It’s just the nature of the business. Yes, you get some bad ones, but the good ones make it worthwhile.

Our primary responsibility is to provide a positive atmosphere to ALL singers, good or bad. To give every singer who is in the spotlight, the best ideal sound mixes and a memorable experience. Encourage the audience to provide them with a warm round of applause

------------ as any Professional Host would do!

Author:  RLC [ Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Following this thread and reading others responses to Alan B’s dilemma while also calling on my past KJing experience it is apparent that the only really bad singers, you know the ones that Alan claims drive away customers, seem to be attracted to Alan B’s karaoke shows.
They (the only really bad singers, you know the ones that Alan claims drive away customers) certainly don’t seem to be a problem or even exist at any other karaoke shows, just the usual mix of bad to great singers, none of which drive away customers.
Congratulations Alan for attracting the really bad singers, you know the ones that drive away customers.
You have a total monopoly on those singers! 8)

Alan maybe you should reread Paradigm Karaoke's earlier post and participate in a little self evaluation.

Author:  Alan B [ Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

RLC wrote:
Following this thread and reading others responses to Alan B’s dilemma while also calling on my past KJing experience it is apparent that the only really bad singers, you know the ones that Alan claims drive away customers, seem to be attracted to Alan B’s karaoke shows.
They (the only really bad singers, you know the ones that Alan claims drive away customers) certainly don’t seem to be a problem or even exist at any other karaoke shows, just the usual mix of bad to great singers, none of which drive away customers.
Congratulations Alan for attracting the really bad singers, you know the ones that drive away customers.
You have a total monopoly on those singers! 8)

Alan maybe you should reread Paradigm Karaoke's earlier post and participate in a little self evaluation.

If you have been following this thread, as you claim you have, you would have seen that I have stated, several times, that I, like everyone else, also have my share of bad singers. And I have also stated that I have never refused one of them from singing at my shows. I may not enjoy listening to them but I allow it and tolerate it.

With that said, I was simply asking what you would do if you had singers that were so bad, atrocious, intolerable, whatever word you want to use... that caused customers to leave. I have stated what I would do and why.

And for what it's worth, my shows do not attract this type of singer. Usually my shows have more good singers than bad singers.

So, if you're going to respond to this thread, answer the specific question which was what would you do if a singer was so bad that they were driving customers away. Think you can give me a straight forward answer? I know Brian couldn't do it, how about you RLC?

So may make it clear for you. Don't try to twist your answer like Brian by saying my singers don't drive people away. He didn't respond to what I was specifically asking (something he does best). So RLC, can you answer this simple question?

So here it is, RLC. Answer the question...

If you did, not that you do, but IF YOU DID have a singer so bad that he or she was driving customers away...what would you do?

In fact, let me make it easy for you. Multiple choice. All you have to do is select A, B, or C. Think you can do that?

Question:

If you had a really bad singer at your show that was causing customers to leave, what would you do?

A. Nothing. Allow him to continue singing regardless if customers are leaving because of him.
B. Cut him off. We don't want to lose good customers because of him.
C. Let the owner or manager decide what to do.

Author:  RLC [ Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Alan B wrote:
So here it is, RLC. Answer the question...

If you did, not that you do, but IF YOU DID have a singer so bad that he or she was driving customers away...what would you do?

In fact, let me make it easy for you. Multiple choice. All you have to do is select A, B, or C. Think you can do that?

Question:

If you had a really bad singer at your show that was causing customers to leave, what would you do?

A. Nothing. Allow him to continue singing regardless if customers are leaving because of him.
B. Cut him off. We don't want to lose good customers because of him.
C. Let the owner or manager decide what to do.
D. Let the unicorns decide what to do.

There, I fixed your multiple choice question, because these type of singers, the ones so bad that they drive customers right out the door on the spot, don't really exist - except in your world. So another choice had to be offered to your question - one from the world you are from.

p.s. Alan, thanks for keeping this forum alive.

Author:  Alan B [ Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

RLC wrote:
because these type of singers, the ones so bad that they drive customers right out the door on the spot, don't really exist - except in your world.

My dear little RLC... Please don't say that this type of singer doesn't exist, because they do. It may not happen very frequently, but it does happen. And I will use myself as a prime example...

About a year ago, my wife and I went to check out a karaoke place that had a couple of singers that were really bad. I mean, "shoot me now" bad. If that wasn't bad enough, the sound was terrible. So, it was a double whammy. Bad singers with bad sound. It didn't take long before I said "we're outta here" and so we walked out.

Yes, It does happen.

On another extreme, good singers can also drive customers away with their song selections. Allow me to elaborate Mr. RLC...

About a year or so ago, I had a group of singers that would come in. It consisted of mainly older singers who would sing ballads from hell. You know slow boring songs that put you to sleep like "Memory", My Heart Will Go On", "Ode To Billie Joe". Get the picture?

Anyway, customers in the bar complained of this and actually stopped coming on karaoke night because of these singers. They said, we come to the bar to have a fun night, not to be brought down with these depressing songs. I told them that I usually suggest keeping it upbeat but I can't tell them what to sing.

So, for the most part, my singers always sing upbeat songs that get people dancing. But that was a true story. People come to bars to have a fun night. These singers, although they weren't bad, drove a couple of customers away with their song selection.

So, yes my friend, a singer CAN drive people away. A singer CAN control the energy of the bar and how people react. And a singer CAN influence the outcome of your show. I hope you can acknowledge that. It does happen. Maybe not in your world, but it does.

P.S. As far as keeping this forum alive... I'm just doing my part. LOL

Author:  dvdgdry [ Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Wowie Guys,

Two months later and nothing has changed here. Bring out the dueling pistols, let's end the show!

Author:  Brian A [ Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

dvdgdry wrote:
Wowie Guys,

Two months later and nothing has changed here. Bring out the dueling pistols, let's end the show!

Your wish is acknowledged. 8)

Author:  Brian A [ Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Brian A wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Brian A wrote:
All singers are welcome to sing @ my show, good or bad. Bad singers are entertaining as well (in a good way). 8)

So, if you had one bad singer that was driving customers away, you would still let them sing?

The answer is Yes! because they don't drive my customers away. The key is tolerance, Alan....

Alan wrote @ RLC (excerpt): “Think you can give me a straight forward answer? I know Brian couldn’t do it, how about you RLC? Don’t try to twist your answer like Brian by saying my singers don’t drive people away. He didn’t respond to what I was specifically asking (something he does best)”.
:banghead: Huh? WTF? Read the above. It was a straight-forward answer to your question. I said: "Yes, I let them sing because they don't drive my customers away."

My customers inherently get themselves tolerant in these circumstances. Live & let live. Everybody has a privilege to sing and have a good time at my show. And please show me where I twist my answer to your question. Damn! Talk about twisting words!

You cannot reason with unreasonable people, to be specific, Alan. You can’t, and it's just absurd. Alan has this uncanny ability to twist the discussion and cause the situation to appear as though he's in every case right and you're dead off-base and/or wrong in every way.

This argument will only result in a forward and backward pissing challenge, like he is always right, and if you disagree with him, you’re wrong; hence, I will go on a stalemate as it is very challenging to deal with a counter intuitive and nonsensical person.

Author:  RLC [ Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Brian A wrote:
Brian A wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Brian A wrote:
All singers are welcome to sing @ my show, good or bad. Bad singers are entertaining as well (in a good way). 8)

So, if you had one bad singer that was driving customers away, you would still let them sing?

The answer is Yes! because they don't drive my customers away. The key is tolerance, Alan....

Alan wrote @ RLC (excerpt): “Think you can give me a straight forward answer? I know Brian couldn’t do it, how about you RLC? Don’t try to twist your answer like Brian by saying my singers don’t drive people away. He didn’t respond to what I was specifically asking (something he does best)”.
:banghead: Huh? WTF? Read the above. It was a straight-forward answer to your question. I said: "Yes, I let them sing because they don't drive my customers away."

My customers inherently get themselves tolerant in these circumstances. Live & let live. Everybody has a privilege to sing and have a good time at my show. And please show me where I twist my answer to your question. Damn! Talk about twisting words!

You cannot reason with unreasonable people, to be specific, Alan. You can’t, and it's just absurd. Alan has this uncanny ability to twist the discussion and cause the situation to appear as though he's in every case right and you're dead off-base and/or wrong in every way.

This argument will only result in a forward and backward pissing challenge, like he is always right, and if you disagree with him, you’re wrong; hence, I will go on a stalemate as it is very challenging to deal with a counter intuitive and nonsensical person.

You are right on Brian and that is why I didn't give Alan a straight forward answer to his question...because it can't be done!
Plus......I think Alan needs unicorns at his show to help him make decisions about who he lets sing. :lol:

Author:  Alan B [ Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

RLC wrote:
You are right on Brian and that is why I didn't give Alan a straight forward answer to his question...because it can't be done!

The real reason that you and Brian can't give me a straight forward answer to my questions is because you're both a couple of spineless jellyfish.

I ask a simple straight forward question. I even provide 3 possible answers in which to choose. But you couldn't answer the question, instead you turn it back on me like I'm the crazy one.

If I asked, Is that traffic light red, amber, or green... you would come out and say it's purple. Why? Because you have no backbone, just like a jellyfish. It's pretty sad when you can't answer a specific question.

In my 25 years of hosting karaoke and working in many different venues, I've seen it all. Everything I've said about singers, good or bad, who have driven away customers is true. It does happen and it has happened. Not very often, but it does.

Yet, no matter what I say, you'll twist it around, avoid answering my questions, no matter how specific I may be. But that's OK. We all know by now, how you and your pal Brian are good at distorting the truth with lies.

So, go back to your little undersea world where jellyfish play. Because seriously, you guys are in your own world. I ask you to choose a specific answer out of 3 provided and your answer is unicorns. Seriously?? But that's what jellyfish do to get out of answering questions. No backbone at all. No Spine. No balls. Sad.

It seems that you and Brian and a few others are part of a clique. That no matter what I say or how valid it may be, because it's coming from me, you will turn against me and try to discredit me. But that's ok, it's not going to make me lose any sleep.

Good Night Jellyfish.

Author:  Brian A [ Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

:nana: :nana:
Attachment:
Alan3.png
Alan3.png [ 53.97 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

Author:  DannyG2006 [ Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Given the choices, I would still choose to do nothing. Why, because you left absolutely no room for whether or not the good singers are contributing to the till or not. Bad singers normally will pay into the till because for the most part, They know that they can't sing. They need the liquid courage to get up. A hood singer, case in point myself before I started hosting karaoke, would go to the shows knowing that I can at least since averagewise and had the attitude of I'm the real entertainment so they should be paying me so I would go to karaoke overnight and drink water on the nights that I had no money, when I had money I would at least order something to eat or soda. Didn't need liquid courage to get up and sing. The thing is that I am being paid to het everyone who wants to sing in a fair manner that makes them want to come back. Period.

Author:  Alan B [ Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

DannyG2006 wrote:
Given the choices, I would still choose to do nothing.

Thank you Danny for answering the question! That wasn't too painful, was it? While I may not agree with your response, at least you had the balls to give a straight forward answer, which is more than I can say for the jellyfish on this forum. Thanks.

Author:  DannyG2006 [ Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Given the choices, I would still choose to do nothing.

Thank you Danny for answering the question! That wasn't too painful, was it? While I may not agree with your response, at least you had the balls to give a straight forward answer, which is more than I can say for the jellyfish on this forum. Thanks.

Ok can I get an answer fir my question, which wiuld you rather have:
Good singers who only drink water
Or
A bad singer who while their singing is enough to want to shut down and walk away from the gig along with all of the other customers but is spending money as if it grows on trees buying everyone round after round of drinks. No wait rhat would mean that you wouldn't lose anyone because they would want to stay just to be able to drink on the bad singer's money. But if he wasn't spending money they'd want to leave.

Author:  RLC [ Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

Image

Author:  Lonman [ Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

A bad singer is up on stage for 5 min avg at a time - sometimes less or more. If people have a problem with that and are leaving because of it - good riddance! They are probably water drinking diva's anyway. 99% of the time it gets tolerated and you don't see them sing for over 30-60 min in an avg rotation - sometimes longer on busier nights.

Author:  Alan B [ Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line?

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Given the choices, I would still choose to do nothing.

Thank you Danny for answering the question! That wasn't too painful, was it? While I may not agree with your response, at least you had the balls to give a straight forward answer, which is more than I can say for the jellyfish on this forum. Thanks.

Ok can I get an answer fir my question, which wiuld you rather have:
Good singers who only drink water
Or
A bad singer who while their singing is enough to want to shut down and walk away from the gig along with all of the other customers but is spending money as if it grows on trees buying everyone round after round of drinks. No wait rhat would mean that you wouldn't lose anyone because they would want to stay just to be able to drink on the bad singer's money. But if he wasn't spending money they'd want to leave.

Danny, to answer your question, I would rather have good singers who only drink water.

You have to realize that this really bad singer is affecting not only YOUR singers but the non singers as well. The customers who come in regularly and support the bar by ordering food and drinks. So, that means that this really bad singer is creating a terrible experience for EVERYONE in the bar. So the long term ramifications of continuing to allow this really atrocious singer to sing, is overall very detrimental to the bar and to your show.

Page 5 of 6 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/