KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Please help me pick some songs for a karaoke contest! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Capt Frank wrote:
The prof. singer who was clearly the best was not even in the top 5, while the girls with 100 cheerleaders were 1, 2 respectively, and sang OK. After the contest I noticed one of the girls speaking to a judge, clearly they knew him.

Another example of the outcome of 99% of contests and why they are a joke.

The OP said...
I need some options for this upcoming qualifying round in 2 weeks. I get 2 more tries to get in, so if I fail in 2 weeks at least I get one more chance in 3.

With that said, the best advice would be: don't enter a contest. Period! End of story!

Song selection, stage presence, and vocals mean nothing. The winner(s) have already been decided.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Alan B wrote:
The winner(s) have already been decided.

I wish you'd quit saying that Alan. It's simply NOT TRUE. And frankly, I take it as a personal affront since I've been running singing contests for over a dozen years. I would walk away from them if I felt they were "fixed" in any way, shape or form. Just because YOU may have had bad experiences with contests, doesn't mean everyone will. The contest the OP mentions may indeed be tainted, but neither you nor I know that for a fact.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Capt Frank wrote:
jerryjones wrote:
I entered a karaoke contest last night to try to qualify for semi-finals, I didn’t get in. I sang Hot Blooded by Foreigner, I thought I was pretty good. Got lots of compliments. My friend did get into semi-finals with Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood. I’m not a huge fan of country at all, I can’t sing that.

I think my friend beat me because of her stage presence, so I need to work on that. I think my song choice might’ve been bad too, even though I nailed it.

I want a song that lots of people know. I can’t really sing my favorite band Muse’s songs because they’re not really well known. The judges judge song choice so I want something they’ll already like.

I want to do New York, New York by Frank Sinatra for the finals. I reaaaally good at that song, I think I’ll nail it. I need to beat this girl who also got into the semi-finals tonight with an Adele song. I can’t really sing Adele, too low.

I need some options for this upcoming qualifying round in 2 weeks. I get 2 more tries to get in, so if I fail in 2 weeks at least I get one more chance in 3.

I stopped doing karaoke contests years ago when a friend of mine, Brian was hosting a big contest in Fl. There happened to be a prof. female singer in the contest, among 20, also up against a couple of girls who brought 100 guests to cheer. They paid back several places, total maybe 20 in the contest. The prof. singer who was clearly the best was not even in the top 5, while the girls with 100 cheerleaders were 1, 2 respectively, and sang OK. After the contest I noticed one of the girls speaking to a judge, clearly they knew him. This didn't sit well with Brian who called the prof. singer later and apologized, never hosted a contest again. Bars, clubs, etc. use these contests to bring in patrons, singers etc. and that's OK. Just be aware of what it is, most contests don't use prof. singers or people in the music business as judges. Use the contest for experience, have fun, nothing more or nothing less. In my own case, I was a certified Miss America Judge, as well as a trained operatic singer doing Groban, Tom Jones, etc. and would never get in these contests, unless there were independent out of town judges with a music background. Good Luck.
I saw that many times before I started my company and when I ran mine, audience response was not a judging factor in any way. None of my judges were from the bar for the big ones, always outside judging with some sort of musical background.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I wish you'd quit saying that Alan. It's simply NOT TRUE. And frankly, I take it as a personal affront since I've been running singing contests for over a dozen years. I would walk away from them if I felt they were "fixed" in any way, shape or form. Just because YOU may have had bad experiences with contests, doesn't mean everyone will. The contest the OP mentions may indeed be tainted, but neither you nor I know that for a fact.

I'm sorry Earl but it IS true. Maybe not in your case, or in Lonnie's case, or in Danny's case. As I have said before, there are exceptions and some contests are actually run fairly. But the good majority of them are not. And those are the facts.

In my 25 years of doing this, I have never seen a contest that was run and or judged fairly. I can write a book based on what singers (who have shared their experience) have told me. And from what I've seen for myself.

Nothing to take personally, Earl. You should be proud that your contests are in the 1% that are considered good. But I stand by everything I've said and will always discourage anyone from entering a contest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:
Earl wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I'm sorry Earl but it IS true. Maybe not in your case, or in Lonnie's case, or in Danny's case. As I have said before, there are exceptions and some contests are actually run fairly. But the good majority of them are not. And those are the facts.

In my 25 years of doing this, I have never seen a contest that was run and or judged fairly. I can write a book based on what singers (who have shared their experience) have told me. And from what I've seen for myself.

Nothing to take personally, Earl. You should be proud that your contests are in the 1% that are considered good. But I stand by everything I've said and will always discourage anyone from entering a contest.

It's true in most cases, but there are exceptions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Not to bump an old, abandoned post, but...

I stumbled across the same post on a karaoke reddit. The OP engaged in responses there, and not here. That forum provided her the responses she was looking for, and didn't delve into how much people hated contests.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
That forum provided her the responses she was looking for, and didn't delve into how much people hated contests.

The reason why most of us hate contests has already been stated. Why give advice on song selection, stage presence, etc. when (in 99% of the time) none of that really matters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Because song selection wasnt necessarily the answer. Stage presence between a good singer that works a crowd vs a great singer that just stands there is almost always a factor. They can have the best song but if they dont work the stage there is no point.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile