KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Open KJ Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Open KJ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Elementary Penguin wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Why would you put them into the playlist, just pick the one they want and that one. If OpenKJ adds everything from their history to the playlist, then yes that is a problem.

That appears to be the case, but then I've only worked with it a few times.

One of the fill-ins I'm training just showed me an extremely useful trick I didn't realize it has. Once you look up a song, you can just drag it to the singer's name and it goes in that singer's que -- you don't have to open the singer's que first to add to it at all -- duh.

There's lots to love about this program.

The one thing I don't get, and I don't know if this is true of hoster programs in general because I've avoided them all, is how the heck do you know when you've taken enough songs 'til the end of the show? Open each singer's que one at a time, and count the unsung songs? That's rather awkward! When the rotation is a deck of slips in my hand, I can always count how many I'm holding in an instant, glance at the clock, and I know how many more I can take.

Do any hosters have something like a countdown clock, where told the end time of the show it can just display the number of songs you still have room for? (Yeah, I'll ask Isaac about that one!)

Unfortunately there's only been one winamp front-end that has ever had that ability. You can still find it for download. AutoKDJ. Well that actually shuts down the request taking system. Siglos tells you exactly what time a show will end provided you go straight through the rotation without any breaks or having to wait for singers to get to the Mic. Hoster will give you how much time is being used by the accumulated time in the playlist.

You know, sometimes when I read your posts I think that this is a joke... that you can't be for real. I mean, are you fricken serious? You need software to tell you what time a show is going to end? This is so unbelievable. I'm sure that everyone here can end the night just fine all by themselves. I'm sorry Danny but I've never seen anybody make an issue out of such insignificant stupidity as the way you do.

Oh and by the way... if you ever find a software program that can tell you when you can take a bathroom break, please let me know. I'd be interested in that since I can't think for myself.

Alan, you totally miss the point. Yes, knowing when to stop taking requests is trivial which is why I like giving that job to my software. The less trivial things that I have to concentrate on allows me to concentrate more on what is important. When will you get that into your head?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
mrscott wrote:
Alan, to be fair to Danny, I don't use Compuhost either. I have tried the demo version and I struggled with getting to know how to use the program from the start. Maybe I just need to spend more time figuring it out, but I just don't really see the point.

This wasn't about Danny's choice of hosting software or about the correct way of naming your files. It was about bragging about a program that, according to Danny, tells you when your show will end. And that is the absurdity of it and what I'm referring to.

If you have a 4 hour show that starts at 9, your show is going to end at 1 (hey, I didn't need any software to tell me that). Which means, if it's 12:50, you got time for at least one more singer before ending the show. Do you really need to rely on software to help you figure that out? It's the most anal thing I've ever heard. And that's what I'm responding to... Just how ridiculous he can be.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Regarding file naming...

Compuhost will use any file format you throw at it and even allow you to create custom templates. Which means, if you have some files that have the "Artist" name first, and some files with the "Title" name first and some files without any track #, or a combination of multiple formats, it doesn't matter, it will read and catalog them.

So, whether you follow the industry standard or just use the artist and title, you're fine. here's a video that may help...

https://www.karaokeware.com/faq/content ... gfiles.mp4

Last edited by Alan B on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Can anyone say "tangent"??

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan, you totally miss the point. Yes, knowing when to stop taking requests is trivial which is why I like giving that job to my software. The less trivial things that I have to concentrate on allows me to concentrate more on what is important. When will you get that into your head?

Danny, do you hear yourself? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? Whatever. I have nothing more to say.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan, to be fair to Danny, I don't use Compuhost either. I have tried the demo version and I struggled with getting to know how to use the program from the start. Maybe I just need to spend more time figuring it out, but I just don't really see the point.

This wasn't about Danny's choice of hosting software or about the correct way of naming your files. It was about bragging about a program that, according to Danny, tells you when your show will end. And that is the absurdity of it and what I'm referring to.

If you have a 4 hour show that starts at 9, your show is going to end at 1 (hey, I didn't need any software to tell me that). Which means, if it's 12:50, you got time for at least one more singer before ending the show. Do you really need to rely on software to help you figure that out? It's the most anal thing I've ever heard. And that's what I'm responding to... Just how ridiculous he can be.
In Danny's defense I need more precise time as well as i'm not allowed to go over a certain time (per the bar). Hoster allows me to see the exact time to the closing time vs estimating, and yes I can guestimate as well but prefer giving exact time stamps, it helps when telling singers when they are up too, can tell them exactly what time instead of oh about 4 or 5 minutes.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:37 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Danny, do you hear yourself? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? Whatever. I have nothing more to say.

It's not ridiculous to want to only concentrate on things that allows me to give my singers a more enjoyable time. That's what these tools are for. To make hosting shows easier to do. There are things that no automation can take the place of and those are usually the things that are more important to concentrate on, rather than how much time I have left, do I have enough time to fit that new singer in, setting up the order of singers etc. All of those are handled perfectly by my software so why should I have to concentrate on those things. Leaves me time to encourage a shy person to sing, make sure that the sound is impeccable etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

It's not ridiculous to want to only concentrate on things that allows me to give my singers a more enjoyable time. That's what these tools are for. To make hosting shows easier to do. There are things that no automation can take the place of and those are usually the things that are more important to concentrate on, rather than how much time I have left, do I have enough time to fit that new singer in, setting up the order of singers etc. All of those are handled perfectly by my software so why should I have to concentrate on those things. Leaves me time to encourage a shy person to sing, make sure that the sound is impeccable etc.

Danny, why do you always have to make everything so complicated? Do you want to know what I concentrate on that I think is important? Even more important than trying to figure out what time to end your show? It's this...

I make it a point, whenever possible, to personally greet every singer that walks through the door. Yes, I want everyone to feel welcome. So, if I am behind the console when they walk in, I'll get to them when the next singer is up. And, my little friend... the same thing applies when they leave. I won't just wave to them. I will always try to be on the floor when I see they're getting ready to leave. I will thank them for coming. The women get hugs and the guys get a handshake. Well, some guys get a hug too... you know that guy kind of hug with the slap on the back.

Anyway, as you can see, we have very different priorities. It seems you're more worried about your quitting time than about your customers.

Also, I have a question regarding a statement you made. You said you need the time to make sure that the sound is impeccable. Just what does that mean and what do you exactly do to achieve that? And isn't that something that should have been done at the start of the night?

So, if I may... I would like to share a tip with you that may help you in your KJ career...

It's not important what software you use, or what speakers you use, or what mixer you use, or what microphones you use. What IS important is making everyone of your singers that came out to your show feel like a million bucks. Once you can do that, you can concentrate on the other things like having the best sound, etc.

Have a good night.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Do you think it would be OK to start this thread over again... perhaps call it "Open KJ Two"... so that we can get back to the reason for the original post?

In that way, the "one-up-man-ship" can continue here, and I won't have to muddle through it to find help with my original post.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan, if you are just setting your sound at the start of the show, then you can't be providing the best sound for every single singer. I adjust the sound for every single singer so they sound their best. Sometimes that means adjustment to the volume, somtimes it's the ammount of the effects, majority of the time it includes tapping the delay. Setting and forgetting it really doesn't cut it because no singer is the same. Technically it would work for just one singer but that's not what we are being paid for is it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

And you made my point, if it is insignificant then why the hell shouldn't I let my software take care of it. The software also makes it easier to explain why I don't play off of You Tube in a way that even Alan can understand. If I can't add it to the rotation list. I won't play it period because my player doesn't play video formats and I refuse to drag a web browser to the singer's monitor. Totally unprofessional and I don't do unprofessional.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
Do you think it would be OK to start this thread over again... perhaps call it "Open KJ Two"... so that we can get back to the reason for the original post?

No need, Earl. I have nothing more to say. I'm sure Danny has nothing more to say either. And now back to the original topic...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

So you concede allowing the software to handle the unimportant tasks to allow the host to concentrate on the more important tasks such as making your singers sound their best and feel welcome at the show as being realistic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
So you concede allowing the software to handle the unimportant tasks to allow the host to concentrate on the more important tasks such as making your singers sound their best and feel welcome at the show as being realistic.

No I don't concede. If you have to rely on software to tell you when it's time to end your show is pretty bad.

Years ago, before there was hosting software, and computers, we used discs and multiple CDG players to run those shows. If you want to talk about concentration, that would be it. Everything was done manually, including the rotation. You used a board or paper. And you had to find the disc that had the song that the next singer wanted while the present one is singing.

Today, a show can practically run itself. We have software that, among other things, keeps a rotation and a song track that can be ready to go in a matter of seconds.

Now, all of this has freed up time for us that we can use to talk to our patrons in the audience.

So, I'm sorry... but if you can't even do a simple little thing like end your show without relying on software, I think is pretty bad. You have a clock on your laptop, you have a watch, and there is a clock in the bar. It's so simple.

No Danny, I cannot even comprehend this. It's sheer laziness. Using software to play your tracks and keep the rotation is one thing, but if you can't look at your watch and see that it's a quarter to one, and I'm done in 15 minutes, is really pathetic.

Here's what I personally would do when I look at my watch and see that there's 15 minutes to go...

"hey everybody, we're just about out of time so, we're going to have John come up right now, followed my Mary and then Paula is going to end the night".

Was that too hard to do? Did I need any software to tell me to do that?

This is from a song called Automatic by Miranda Lambert:

Hey whatever happened to,
Waitin' your turn
Doing it all by hand,
'Cause when everything is handed to you
It's all only worth as much as the time you put in
In all just seems so good the way we had it
Back before everything became, automatic

So, sorry Danny but I do not concede. In fact, I think that laziness is pathetic.

In my 25 years of doing this, I have never relied on any type of software to tell me when it's time to end the night. And I've done just fine without it. And even if this were to become a feature of Compuhost, I would never, never use it.

Well, that's all I have to say. I wasn't going to say anymore about the situation but you asked for a response, so...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

No I don't concede. If you have to rely on software to tell you when it's time to end your show is pretty bad.

Years ago, before there was hosting software, and computers, we used discs and multiple CDG players to run those shows. If you want to talk about concentration, that would be it. Everything was done manually, including the rotation. You used a board or paper. And you had to find the disc that had the song that the next singer wanted while the present one is singing.

Today, a show can practically run itself. We have software that, among other things, keeps a rotation and a song track that can be ready to go in a matter of seconds.

Now, all of this has freed up time for us that we can use to talk to our patrons in the audience.

So, I'm sorry... but if you can't even do a simple little thing like end your show without relying on software, I think is pretty bad. You have a clock on your laptop, you have a watch, and there is a clock in the bar. It's so simple.

No Danny, I cannot even comprehend this. It's sheer laziness. Using software to play your tracks and keep the rotation is one thing, but if you can't look at your watch and see that it's a quarter to one, and I'm done in 15 minutes, is really pathetic.

Here's what I personally would do when I look at my watch and see that there's 15 minutes to go...

"hey everybody, we're just about out of time so, we're going to have John come up right now, followed my Mary and then Paula is going to end the night".

Was that too hard to do? Did I need any software to tell me to do that?

This is from a song called Automatic by Miranda Lambert:

Hey whatever happened to,
Waitin' your turn
Doing it all by hand,
'Cause when everything is handed to you
It's all only worth as much as the time you put in
In all just seems so good the way we had it
Back before everything became, automatic

So, sorry Danny but I do not concede. In fact, I think that laziness is pathetic.

In my 25 years of doing this, I have never relied on any type of software to tell me when it's time to end the night. And I've done just fine without it. And even if this were to become a feature of Compuhost, I would never, never use it.

Well, that's all I have to say. I wasn't going to say anymore about the situation but you asked for a response, so...

Then get rid of Compuhost and get Karafun because by your reckoning every tool available on Compuhost is a waste of a true host's abilities.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

In Fat Alan, get rid of every modern tool used for Karaoke. Go back to cassettes. After all every tool that takes away the host's duties for running a show makes them lazy, your words. Practice what you preach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:32 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
In Fat Alan, get rid of every modern tool used for Karaoke. Go back to cassettes. After all every tool that takes away the host's duties for running a show makes them lazy, your words. Practice what you preach.

I am practicing what I preach... and that is NOT relying on software to tell me when to end my show. That is what we're talking about. Nothing more, nothing less.

You just don't get it, you poor misguided soul. Yes, Danny... software can do a lot of things to aid you in running a good show. But I mean c'mon. You really need it to tell you when you should quit? Are you seriously lacking the mental capacity to figure it out for yourself. If your show is from 9 to 1, do you not know that you need to be done by one?

I just can't believe that you can't do this on your own. I can't believe that you would even make an issue out of this. This is not rocket science.

Where are your hosting skills, Danny? Anyway, can you please tell me the name of the bar you do karaoke in and what nights you're there. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

I am practicing what I preach... and that is NOT relying on software to tell me when to end my show. That is what we're talking about. Nothing more, nothing less.

You just don't get it, you poor misguided soul. Yes, Danny... software can do a lot of things to aid you in running a good show. But I mean c'mon. You really need it to tell you when you should quit? Are you seriously lacking the mental capacity to figure it out for yourself. If your show is from 9 to 1, do you not know that you need to be done by one?

I just can't believe that you can't do this on your own. I can't believe that you would even make an issue out of this. This is not rocket science.

Where are your hosting skills, Danny? Anyway, can you please tell me the name of the bar you do karaoke in and what nights you're there. Thanks.

And I am telling you that if it's not a big deal I refuse to put any effort in doing myself since it has absolutely nothing to do with making my singer's experience the best it can be that my software can take that duty off my hands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:59 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

And I am telling you that if it's not a big deal I refuse to put any effort in doing myself since it has absolutely nothing to do with making my singer's experience the best it can be that my software can take that duty off my hands.

Well then, answer me this...

If your software didn't have the capability to tell you when your show is going to end, would you stop doing karaoke? I mean, after all, since you can't think for yourself, I'm sure hosting would become a great difficulty for you. And without that feature, how on earth are you going to know when to end your show?

I would really love to come to one of your shows so that I can experience your greatness. So where and when are you hosting karaoke?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Never said I couldn't do it on my own. I agree with you that it is a simple thing to do but it's also so unimportant in the scheme of making the show enjoyable for the audience and singers that it might as well be automated by the software allowing the host to concentrate on those things that are more important to making the show a success.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next