KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Still Using Discs? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Still Using Discs?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I actually had a first time (at our karaoke) singer request Bob Seger's "Katmandu" this evening, but it had to be the Sound Choice version. It's the first time I've had someone request a specific publisher in months.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
jdmeister wrote:
Lonman wrote:
The singers knowing the difference between brands are getting far and few between. I did a survey on my page a couple years ago and out of around 998 people that replied - FOUR said they cared or even knew what the difference was between brands. It's just not relevant in todays industry, people just want to sing their song to a decent sounding version.

The random singer that has disc he/she practices with, may request that version.
But yes, not so common these days.
I still get those disc users (rare anymore though) that 'need' that version. Anyone under 30 (and probably under 40) don't care what version as long as it sounds decent.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:22 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Lonman wrote:
The singers knowing the difference between brands are getting far and few between. I did a survey on my page a couple years ago and out of around 998 people that replied - FOUR said they cared or even knew what the difference was between brands. It's just not relevant in todays industry, people just want to sing their song to a decent sounding version.

I ask because I don't want to get slammed with a crappy version.
As long as it's a good version I can work with it, funny thing is I've
Noticed the same song by the same manufacturer is sometimes
Better or worse on different discs! I noticed this on Chartbuster
When the Sidekick requested Jeanne Pruett's, Satin Sheets one
Night at a VFW, When it started playing we thought the disc, theirs.
Was in the wrong key, She got upset and couldn't sing, I thought it
Was a MM disc, but was surprised to find it was CB and one that I
Didn't have, Sure Bafoozled me!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:59 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Hosting, I like to know myself which brand I'm about to play for someone, so of course I've kept the manufacturer codes in my songbooks for my own purposes. Additionally, while the singers who care about manufacturer are getting rare, if one is looking in the book I want them to see what version they are putting in without having to ask me -- I love chatting about that with anyone but it's one less thing to put on the customer who may be too shy to bring it up.

As a singer, I've known for decades there are some off versions of songs that are always train wrecks even for the best of singers (even the best producers made a few stinkers). Certain songs I absolutely will NOT put in unless I know for sure it's NOT a certain version. This is why I much prefer visiting a show that lists versions in their books. I've found you simply can't trust most hosts these days when you ask for a specific version -- they'll say "sure thing" and then when your songs starts, up pops a Music Maestro or Backstage logo. This is because many hosts today are employees of multi-riggers, and for the most part neither know or care anything about manufacturer versions, even when they may otherwise be good hosts.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile