KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - i wish there was a "performance of the year contest!!" Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
yo, wait....hold up, though!!!!

because i would want it to work EXACTLY like this:

it would be a worldwide contest every year. all submissions to the contest may only be given by karaoke DJs, not the performer. karaoke DJs would be barred from performing themselves in the contest. only 20 winners will be chosen worldwide. it's possible that all 20 winners could all be from the same country, same city or even the same damn bar with the same kj.

there would be a charge for kjs to submit to the contest. maybe $500 per submission. or $1000. i haven't decided. this is so that kjs really thought carefully about their submissions. kjs are allowed to raise money for submissions, though or have a sponsor pay for it.

any karaoke performance is accepted. there is no age barriers or song-genre barriers. however it must be a karaoke song. we'll be liberal with how the song is performed by said performer.

performers/singers who are chosen in the top 20 may get a modest cash reward and a chance to visit the white house, if they wish, like any sports champion does.

all 20 winners could all be rap songs. it could all be country songs. this contest, done my way will not care about that. the same winner can only win once every 3 years. perhaps i'll be the only judge, ha ha

winning performances will not be judged on talent alone, but on overall performance, start to finish. so an awesome voice, still won't net you the top prize of being in the top 20 for the year...

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:18 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

oh, one more thing, all 20 winners would be like considered all first-place winners. so it isn't the top 20 winners from 1-20. they'd all be 20 first-place winners, for me...

all this being said, i'd like to think that i'd submit something to the contest every year. whether i had a worthy performer or not...

anyway, tonight, i saw a performance that'd i'd submit for this year, for sure. my favorite part during this performance was me looking up at the sky a few times and saying out loud, "lord, i can't believe this is happening!" i just kept saying it. and then laughing. and at one point looking to my left at a 20-something year old who was just standing, paralyzed, staring with her mouth wide open. so wide, she could put her fist in her mouth, if she wanted to. oh and then me begging on the mic for the next singer to come follow this performance up, and the next singer absolutely didn't want to.

sure, the woman singing this awesome performance had a voice of an angel. it was just her peformance that she did on the spot on an ordinary karaoke song with an excellent voice, was about the most unexpected peformance i've seen to date as a kj. i can't remember anytime during my career as a kj so many folks first words to me about it were "wtf .... was that?" again, she could sing. i mean really sing. well. but the performance she did on the spot nobody saw coming. i'll never forget it. hope she never repeats it. i only needed to see that once. if i wasn't there and someone told it to me, i'd laugh and say they had an active imagination.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:21 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

1. anyway, if YOU knew of such a contest, would you submit yearly? or ever?

2. during your career as a kj, how many times would you have submitted? for sure, i know of 2 performances i'd def submit hoping they'd win the top 20. the others i'd submit for fun.

3. do you think any peformances you've ever seen in your life would net in the top 20 for the world during that year? and that others would agree with you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:27 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

oh and the kj who submitted such a worthy winning top 20 in the world peformance of the year would win like a nice certificate calling you a cool kj and a chance to go to the white house, if that performance was chosen. hey, it's not like the kj actually did anything really. but i wanna acknowledge them for submitting it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:39 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

man, lemme tell you, i kinda missed the first part of her performance. i mean, was busy looking up songs, you know doing KJ stuff. because, she had a great voice. and it was an ordinary karaoke song, so you know, we tend to tune out especially when you're mid-way through the night. thank God i happened to look up on a whim. and literally the first words out of my mouth were, "wtf.....?!"

as you can see, i'm still shook. i would've had the same reaction if all of the sudden she started flying around the room on her own. wouldn't call it a bizarre performance. just unexpected what she doing while she was singing with a beautiful voice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:07 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Product 19 wrote:
there would be a charge for kjs to submit to the contest. maybe $500 per submission. or $1000. i haven't decided. this is so that kjs really thought carefully about their submissions. kjs are allowed to raise money for submissions, though or have a sponsor pay for it.

any karaoke performance is accepted. there is no age barriers or song-genre barriers. however it must be a karaoke song. we'll be liberal with how the song is performed by said performer.
The problem I see with these kinds of constraints is that you wouldn't be getting amateur singers, they'd all be professionals and the KJ would be doing anything they could to hedge their submission investment. And that's sort of missing the point.

And from the description of your singer tonight, I'll bet she was a pro.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Product 19 wrote:

I have stated my position on contests many times. I despise them. Most of them are judged unfairly and have caused a rash of emotions from the contestants including anger, hurt feelings and low self esteem. I've actually seen them drive good singers away.

I've seen some contests where the winner is chosen based on audience applause. Now, what's wrong with this picture? Obviously, the more friends the contestant brings to cheer him or her on is going to win, regardless of how good they are.

And then you have contestants that you've never seen before enter a contest. They make a living out of entering every contest around. They know they're good and they know they have a very good chance of winning and once they do, you never see them again. This doesn't sit very well with the regulars who come out week after week supporting the bar.

No... I have no use for contests. I'm not saying that they're all no good, there are few exceptions, very few. But for the most part it's all based on favoritism. Rarely have I ever seen a contest judged fairly and without bias.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:39 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Alan B wrote:
Product 19 wrote:

I have stated my position on contests many times. I despise them. Most of them are judged unfairly and have caused a rash of emotions from the contestants including anger, hurt feelings and low self esteem. I've actually seen them drive good singers away.

I've seen some contests where the winner is chosen based on audience applause. Now, what's wrong with this picture? Obviously, the more friends the contestant brings to cheer him or her on is going to win, regardless of how good they are.

And then you have contestants that you've never seen before enter a contest. They make a living out of entering every contest around. They know they're good and they know they have a very good chance of winning and once they do, you never see them again. This doesn't sit very well with the regulars who come out week after week supporting the bar.

No... I have no use for contests. I'm not saying that they're all no good, there are few exceptions, very few. But for the most part it's all based on favoritism. Rarely have I ever seen a contest judged fairly and without bias.

We have a very nice contest every year, held at the Los Angeles County Fair.
Fairly handled, open to all.
http://karaokefest.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
jdmeister wrote:
I like how one of the longest 5-part posts ever written got fully handled with a two line response and one link! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Elementary Penguin wrote:
jdmeister wrote:
I like how one of the longest 5-part posts ever written got fully handled with a two line response and one link! :lol:

i know, right lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Product 19 wrote:
Elementary Penguin wrote:
jdmeister wrote:

i know, right lol

Well, That's what we do..

I could go on, but... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:05 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
I've said many times on this site that karaoke anything contests are worthless endeavors, much like the TV shows. Mostly you just piss off such as all the losers and some never come back, so the thing you try to do, that is bring more into the karaoke venue has the opposite effect.