KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mutant Mic Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mutant Mic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:41 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 40 times
So Mutant Mic has announced his "retirement" in the industry. For those of you that purchased one of his Mics count your blessings. I know Brian A & myself have one, how many others here purchased one? And how about some pics of your design?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Mutant Mic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Chris from mutant mics retiring? No, you don’t say! I think it’s another ploy to escape from all the amount of work at hand. Problem with him is he accepts shure sh55 mics for repair as much as he could but can’t keep up with the workload. He’s all by himself & refuses to hire any help. Turn around from my last was 8mos.

He’s really very good at his craft (if you don’t mind waiting). He replaced my gold chrome Shure sh55 R115s cartridge with a beta58, then install red led lights inside hooked to a phantom power. http://www.mutantmics.com/index2.html

Another guy that can do these is Carl Schreiber, Willowbrook, IL email: bopkat59@yahoo.com. His specialty is replacement with beta87, features still maintained such as point shock mount, transformer shield, rf & pop filter. His turnaround return is very fast – 2wks. Not endorsing the guy in any way, just fyi for those who want a hybrid elvis mic.

ps - simpmech, I'd like to see a pic of your mic.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:31 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 40 times
Brian, here is a pic I took of it at a wedding set up I had. Love this mic!

Attachments:
IMG_0741.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG [ 716.99 KiB | Viewed 52715 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm 

Been Liked: 5 times
Hello Guys.. Mutant mics here, Yes I am Back from the dead!! lol.. I know I'm about 3 years late on this post but, I just became a member here.. And I hope you guys are still here and can see this.. First I'm truly sorry for retiring when I did, It was a really bad time for me. I'm also sorry for having the waiting list I did.. It wasn't my fault, I am in high demand, when you do something no body in the world is doing and you do it well, you are sought after.. Not to mention I'm a full time fire fighter also, but only work 10 days of 24 hour shifts a month.. So on the days off, I took a hobby of mine and turned it into a business.. I had no clue of the tsunami that was going to hit me when I started Mutant Mics. But at the time I retired my wife had enough of me working all the time at the fire department and on mics on my days off.. She threatened to leave me, if I did not make a change, so I finished up the 6 months of orders I had on the books and started going through marriage counseling and tried to save my marriage.. But it was too late for us and I lost the love of my life because of microphones.. At that point I hated mics for the first time in my life! I had to stop building for my own sake.. Then out of the blue 6 months later a very famous band called me on the phone and talked me into building mics again.. I thought it would be a one time thing and then be done.. I couldn't turn down the opportunely they were giving me to build mics for a band I loved.. But on a happy note on that build, I started to like it again.. My mind was on mics and not on life anymore.. No worries just the puzzle in front of me I love to solve.. I had tons of mics in stock on the shelves, I never built and started to do them up just to pass the time.. Being alone for the first time, after my divorce, gave me plenty of time to start to enjoy my hobby again.. No wife to nag me about something I truly love to do.. So I started the business back up.. Yes I still have a waiting list, but its much shorter now. But I have done some things to improve time on the mics.. I outsource some things now.. I turn down some business now just to keep the list low. I even raised my prices for the 1st time 10 years just to slow business down.. And even though I did have a waiting list I built 2800 plus mics in 14 years of doing this.. That's more than 15 mics a month and 10 of those days a month I was at the fire department.. I have so many designs with no patents on my stuff, I could not, will not, and can not teach people how to do what I do. I would need 10 more years to teach somebody, That already had, music back ground, mechanical back ground, electronics background and artistic ability, knowledge of how to run a business and honesty and integrity all rolled up into one person to hire them to do mics on my days I'm at the fire department, just to keep up with business.. Why don't I hire someone?? Because if I found that person and taught them what I know and paid them half of what I make on mics.. They would leave and start their own business and charge a lot more to do it! So yes, I am sorry guys I let my customers down for not being able to keep up sometimes, but I'm not sorry of who I am and the product I put out.. But I do want to thank you guys for loving what I do.. And If I were to be truly honest with you guys and myself, I didn't choose the hobby, the hobby chose me.. Love what you do and it will never be work! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:19 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
I am a HUGE fan of Chris and Mutant mics and currently have 2 mics under his creative brain trust. He is very masterful at his craft and I get so many compliments on the one mic I had completed about 2 months ago. It looks amazing and sounds even better. I strongly recommend him to anyone looking for a unique or upgraded microphone. His attention to detail is second to none and I believe he truly does loves it!!

Attachments:
my new mic.jpg
my new mic.jpg [ 58.63 KiB | Viewed 52026 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

spotlightjr wrote:
I am a HUGE fan of Chris and Mutant mics and currently have 2 mics under his creative brain trust. He is very masterful at his craft and I get so many compliments.....

Welcome to ks, Chris. Ditto, I agree with spotlightjr. I’m also a huge fan of mutant mics. Chris takes great pride in his work with attention to detail to produce a top-notch quality finished product. I bought one from mutant, upgraded 2 of my shure55’s years ago.

Reading his post above, re: personal issues I now fully understand why it took a while to complete my last order. I heard he’s at it again so I have one currently on order. 8) A powder-coated shure fatboy with full upgrade to beta58. According to his email 2 weeks ago, I’m 3rd in line from his waiting list. I will post a picture when I get it.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:
According to his email 2 weeks ago, I’m 3rd in line from his waiting list. I will post a picture when I get it.

Got my mic yesterday, tested it out today. Here’s the creation of yet another masterpiece from mutantmics.com, a modern look of the iconic vintage Shure55 'Fat Boy', made famous by several musicians of the 50’s including a young Elvis.

Black powder-coated with full upgrade to beta58, blue screen, total of eight frosted tips LED lights spread around inside the screens. Two above the shure symbol, two below, & the other four pointing towards the crowd, two up top & two below.

Very impressive indeed. Quality craftsmanship is evident in this custom build hybrid elvis mic. It sounds just as awesome as it looks. No sh*t! :D I echo spotlightjr post above, re: strongly recommend to anyone looking for a unique or upgraded microphone.

Send him your sh55’s & choose any color screen you want, any element, shure, ev, etc., lighted or no light, polished brass, chrome plated, brushed finish, etc., or just purchase an upgraded version like this one. It’s well worth it! Thanks so much, Chris.
Attachment:
Lighted mic.png
Lighted mic.png [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 51186 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I am sending the other sh55 limited edition red & black for beta58 upgrade & led lights install.
Attachment:
shure55's.png
shure55's.png [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 51185 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:58 am 

Been Liked: 5 times
Yes I do truly love what I do! You are very welcome Brain and JR.. Thanks for the awesome post.. I will have both of your other orders completed soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Clearly, I’m not cured yet from my mic purchasing disease. :) Another masterpiece creation from mutantmics. Shure Super55 with beta58 element and led lights. My fourth.

Just a note to say thanks to Chris for sending it priority mail and I received it before Christmas. Been really busy last week in preparation for our new year’s eve karaoke party, decorations and giveaway prizes. That was a blast btw. Down to the wire our karaoke nye celebration was a tremendous success.

This is one top-notch mic (picture on the right & insert), appearance, powder-coated high gloss paint and performance. Great volume before feedback, loud but yet, clean and clear sound. It’s now my favorite. My hat is off to you, Chris, you are truly the master craftsman of Elvis mics. No doubt about it! Thanks again. :D
Attachment:
elvismic black.png
elvismic black.png [ 369.91 KiB | Viewed 48365 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
Good lord, those mics look beautiful

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Product 19 wrote:
Good lord, those mics look beautiful
They are beautiful and great! I've sung on the red and blue one he has. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I am now a very proud owner of my very own Mutant Mic!!! :wink: It took me a couple of shows to get it properly set up.... but here are a couple of very happy users.

Ps Thank you Brian for all your help.

Attachments:
1-RV KARAOKE WITH SCHNITZEL.jpg
1-RV KARAOKE WITH SCHNITZEL.jpg [ 179.7 KiB | Viewed 47498 times ]
Mutant Mic (4).JPG
Mutant Mic (4).JPG [ 39.89 KiB | Viewed 47498 times ]
Mutant Mic (2).JPG
Mutant Mic (2).JPG [ 37.74 KiB | Viewed 47498 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
I am now a very proud owner of my very own Mutant Mic!!! :wink: It took me a couple of shows to get it properly set up.... but here are a couple of very happy users.

That mic really looks good, mrmarog. If I’m not mistaken that’s the true classic Shure 55 Fat Boy Elvis mic. If it’s from mutant mics then I’m most certain it has been upgraded to a Beta58 element.

Top-notch quality. Amazing looks, superb sound. Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

That mic really looks good, mrmarog. If I’m not mistaken that’s the true classic Shure 55 Fat Boy Elvis mic. If it’s from mutant mics then I’m most certain it has been upgraded to a Beta58 element.

Top-notch quality. Amazing looks, superb sound. Congrats!

Brian, when I sing on that mic I just help myself from saying "Thank you, thank you very much"

Yes, it is an original fat boy (with serial number plate to prove it) and it has a very unique vintage sound that I can't quite explain. I love it, and happy to have it, and share it with my lucky singers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I've been using my Mutant Mic for about 8 weeks now and my singers are really starting to like using it. Even though it has the same Beta58 capsule that all my other mics have, it has a much warmer sound. Every one is beginning to hear/feel the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Even though it has the same Beta58 capsule that all my other mics have, it has a much warmer sound. Every one is beginning to hear/feel the difference.

I asked Chris (mutantmics) that question, why my mutant mics sound warmer & richer than my handheld/wireless beta 58’s.

He said, “wider resonance chamber walls to provide a path for vocals to reach the mic directly”. Huh? Well, I guess that makes sense. :D Congrats & Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:51 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

So Brian you have noticed that too. I thought it might be my desire to find it better, but you can feel the difference too. :beermates:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
So Brian you have noticed that too. I thought it might be my desire to find it better, but you can feel the difference too. :beermates:

mrmarog wrote:

My singers notice the difference too, and so do I. They love the classy retro look and the warm tone; makes them feel like a rock-star. :wink: I have two mutantmics on stage. The gold chrome is for my singers, the black and red is for my own personal use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
All I need to know is, where can I find a replacement stem/base? I've looked and looked but can't find one. My threads are stripped. Gladly take any suggestions. Thanks!