KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Good wireless mic set that you don't have to "eat"? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:46 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Vancouver Island BC Canada
Been Liked: 3 times
wrybread wrote:
Well said. And on what planet do those mics look like toys? Getting pretty overly critical around here.


Hmmmm,some folks are miserable...life's too short!


Attachments:
File comment: The Shop of Rock!
30167693_10160187661315612_6908739759483000452_o.jpg
30167693_10160187661315612_6908739759483000452_o.jpg [ 174.04 KiB | Viewed 632 times ]
File comment: Karaoke is supposed to be fun! It is around here!
12804653_10153396191551615_8807255823865998009_n.jpg
12804653_10153396191551615_8807255823865998009_n.jpg [ 75.28 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

_________________
I do karaoke at my home shop for fun running the following: PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on a i7 Laptop, through a Mackie ProFX12v2 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED,Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450. Also about 30+Light effects:Lasers,Jellyfish,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!
Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:15 pm
Posts: 45
Been Liked: 3 times
Ha that's awesome!

I like to do what I call "karaoke mob", where everyone who wants one gets a mic, and we all face the projection screen. Gets rid of the "person up on stage" vibe and makes it turn into a big ol party that goes on for hours and hours. I like to say it turns it from people who like to perform to people who just like to sing. For bonus points our "karaoke tent" is outside a beach house right smack dab on the water. Picturesque, but being in Northern California that also means coooold sometimes. But we're used to it and we embrace the power of propane heaters.

I need to find more videos but here's one, though its in the warm up hour so still pretty tame:



The embedded YouTube vid above isn't working for me, so here's the link: https://youtu.be/V-YnOoTtllc

It ain't pro by a long stretch, and there's no "sign up sheets" or anything formal whatsoever. But it's a lot more fun than any karaoke party or event I personally have ever been to, by a long shot. And occasionally sounds better too.

And when the singers misbehave, I punish them by making them sing Air Supply or Journey or something similarly heinous.

And a pic of my mic stand for my GT Audio mics is attached, which I'm pretty proud of. Everything is better with repurposed trophies from the 80s.


Attachments:
IMG_9102 karaoke mics2 small.JPG
IMG_9102 karaoke mics2 small.JPG [ 71.86 KiB | Viewed 629 times ]
Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:46 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Vancouver Island BC Canada
Been Liked: 3 times
That's so sweet...thanks for sharing! That's such a lot of fun you guys are having! My place is my get away, and no one has left the shop without telling me how much fun they've had.....that's what it's all about...enjoying life and making those around you happy!
A few of my lights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBGPAzfpPpA

_________________
I do karaoke at my home shop for fun running the following: PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on a i7 Laptop, through a Mackie ProFX12v2 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED,Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450. Also about 30+Light effects:Lasers,Jellyfish,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:22 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:15 pm
Posts: 45
Been Liked: 3 times
Agreed on all counts! You can tell you're doing it right when it takes a major effort to get people to stop singing when it gets really late. Sometimes I find myself tapering the mics down so they're hardly amplified at all by the end of the night, which keeps the peace with the neighbors.

> A few of my lights:

Super awesome. Mind if I shamelessly knock off your setup? Any tips on what those lights are?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:08 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:46 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Vancouver Island BC Canada
Been Liked: 3 times
The ones not listed in my sig. are a combo of some of the lasers and leds found here:
http://orion-fxlights.com/
red/green laser scanners, blue lasers,some ADJ lighting https://www.adj.com/
some michro
I get alot of my stuff as ex-rentals from this place up here in Canada
https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=sear ... j%20lights

try not to get new if possible, and a smoke machine is a must. I also have a few moving head lights that are really cool...check out amazon, ebay, etc and since you are in the U.S. you find alot better pricing and availability...I really have no plan...just grab what looks cool!

_________________
I do karaoke at my home shop for fun running the following: PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on a i7 Laptop, through a Mackie ProFX12v2 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED,Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450. Also about 30+Light effects:Lasers,Jellyfish,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 pm 
Online
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4112
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 183 times
I am looking at getting this in the future. Right now I don't run lights but this looks like a simple entrance into using some. Previous givs made it worthless to use lighting because the clientele that I was working with had epeleptics in the mix and my conscious as it is couldn't see myself not feeling responsible if someone went into a seizure at one of the events.


Attachments:
dg-5741bf1ea2a79e73cd0e35cbad852a6a.jpg
dg-5741bf1ea2a79e73cd0e35cbad852a6a.jpg [ 54.86 KiB | Viewed 616 times ]

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:15 pm
Posts: 45
Been Liked: 3 times
One problem I frequently have with these movable "DJ lights" is that they're always so phrenetic. If they just had the ability to slow down all the way to dead stop if needed, they'd be infinitely more useful.

I've even tried modifying a couple of them, and killed one and the other simply doesn't move anymore. Which is an improvement.

Also, anyone have a DMX controller they can recommend? I keep meaning to look into iOS or Android table/phone DMX bridges, but so far haven't. Probably a difficult to troubleshoot extra level of complexity though, that will work perfectly until your event starts.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:13 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2665
Been Liked: 598 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I am looking at getting this in the future. Right now I don't run lights but this looks like a simple entrance into using some. Previous givs made it worthless to use lighting because the clientele that I was working with had epeleptics in the mix and my conscious as it is couldn't see myself not feeling responsible if someone went into a seizure at one of the events.

Danny, why should you care about someone else's medical issues? If they have a problem with lighting, then leave. Would you go to a concert if you couldn't take loud music? Or a light show consisting of lasers and effects lighting if you couldn't stand the lights? Or a burger joint and then complain because you didn't like burgers?


I don't always bring my FX lighting (in which I would have to use fog). I always use my wash lighting. But...

One karaoke night, I decided to go all out and bring along a pair of Mini Kinta's and my fog machine. It looked awesome and people loved it... except one regular... who said, "I can't take the lights, and the smoke" and "if you continue to use it, I will leave". At which point I said: goodbye, have a nice night!

Remember, you're never going to please everyone. You're always going to have someone complain no matter what you do. So, as long as you can please the majority is all that matters.

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 am 
Online
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4112
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 183 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I am looking at getting this in the future. Right now I don't run lights but this looks like a simple entrance into using some. Previous givs made it worthless to use lighting because the clientele that I was working with had epeleptics in the mix and my conscious as it is couldn't see myself not feeling responsible if someone went into a seizure at one of the events.

Danny, why should you care about someone else's medical issues? If they have a problem with lighting, then leave. Would you go to a concert if you couldn't take loud music? Or a light show consisting of lasers and effects lighting if you couldn't stand the lights? Or a burger joint and then complain because you didn't like burgers?


I don't always bring my FX lighting (in which I would have to use fog). I always use my wash lighting. But...

One karaoke night, I decided to go all out and bring along a pair of Mini Kinta's and my fog machine. It looked awesome and people loved it... except one regular... who said, "I can't take the lights, and the smoke" and "if you continue to use it, I will leave". At which point I said: goodbye, have a nice night!

Remember, you're never going to please everyone. You're always going to have someone complain no matter what you do. So, as long as you can please the majority is all that matters.

Simply put, if I have the means to make it so more can join in the fun, I am going to do that. Loudness, I can't do anything about but lightshows I can just turn off. I treat everyone as if they have a right to be there so if I can adjust something, I will. It's called caring about your singers and listeners.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:24 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2665
Been Liked: 598 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I am looking at getting this in the future. Right now I don't run lights but this looks like a simple entrance into using some. Previous givs made it worthless to use lighting because the clientele that I was working with had epeleptics in the mix and my conscious as it is couldn't see myself not feeling responsible if someone went into a seizure at one of the events.

Danny, why should you care about someone else's medical issues? If they have a problem with lighting, then leave. Would you go to a concert if you couldn't take loud music? Or a light show consisting of lasers and effects lighting if you couldn't stand the lights? Or a burger joint and then complain because you didn't like burgers?


I don't always bring my FX lighting (in which I would have to use fog). I always use my wash lighting. But...

One karaoke night, I decided to go all out and bring along a pair of Mini Kinta's and my fog machine. It looked awesome and people loved it... except one regular... who said, "I can't take the lights, and the smoke" and "if you continue to use it, I will leave". At which point I said: goodbye, have a nice night!

Remember, you're never going to please everyone. You're always going to have someone complain no matter what you do. So, as long as you can please the majority is all that matters.

Simply put, if I have the means to make it so more can join in the fun, I am going to do that. Loudness, I can't do anything about but lightshows I can just turn off. I treat everyone as if they have a right to be there so if I can adjust something, I will. It's called caring about your singers and listeners.

Yes, but why should all the other singers have to suffer because of one person? For example, if I have 30 singers and one of them complains about the lights, I'm not going to stop using them when the other 29 singers are loving them and enjoying the effects.

So, what you're saying is: you would rather cater to the one or two singers that complain than please everyone else? Sorry, but we're so far apart on this one.

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2665
Been Liked: 598 times
This is interesting and warranted it's own topic...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38632

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:40 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3267
Images: 1
Location: Florida
Been Liked: 1426 times
Danny, I swear you have more problems and reasons why you can't or won't do something. Are you related to Hillary? Are you still mad that you lost your last election... "ummm"... I mean job :lol:


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 am
Posts: 36
Been Liked: 8 times
Biggest problem with cheaper wireless mics or cheap mics in general is a lack of filtering and feedback issues. On the good side very low volume singers like the filter-less mics for ease of singing, on the bad side good singers can't push them without them blanking out on very high notes. We use Sennheisers for that reason.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: [timbo] and 72 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech