KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - OpenKJ is good software but Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
It has a couple of problems that I can see that need to be addressed.
Most softwares that I have chosen have start buttons on the main controls. With OpenKJ you have to double click on the singer you want to play. In instances where you want to skip over singers because they are either in the bathroom, out smoking or in the case of the bartender busy serving drinks it works perfectly but I am having problems with accidentally double clicking on a singer that already has a song or two in and having it start. Yeah I know I should have the ask the question of are you sure but I guess that I am a hater of the warning boxes popping up everytime I misclick on something. Guess I have to get over it. The other issue is that I personally feel that the singer rotation box is too small. It only shows the first five singers, after that you have to scroll. It wouldn't be such a big deal to me if maybe there was room to list the next singers name on the control panel like. Siglos does. Just some observations of mine. Others might not feel like those issues are important to them like the warning boxes pet peeve of mine. Even to me thinking about it that's not such a big deal but when put into practice, it becomes one for me.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:44 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
I haven't been to the download site but most projects that are still in progress have an area where you can post issues and enhancements. You should also post your comments there.

Mine has a play button, you can press enter or double click. I have the warning box in the current version and didn't have it in the previous version. I had KJs that would accidentally start new songs without the warning and adding the prompt was a great way to catch it. Now, it's just me at home so I am thinking of adding an option in the settings to turn the prompt off. Mine only happens when another song is playing. I didn't want the option to turn it off for the other KJs so that might be the mindset behind it.
You could also ask if they could put the option in a config file or command line parameter where hired help wouldn't know where to find it. Keep in mind, you may not use hired help but others who use the program might so they have to design it for all contingencies.

I also considered adding the ability to resize the windows in the program. In the end, the benefits didn't out weigh the improvements and possible issues (being, someone who resized by mistake and didn't know what they did or how to fix it). In the end, I sized everything to what I thought was best. I show more singers and less of each singer's queued songs for the night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Danny, It is freeware! He has a very nice start, but it is far from being able to run a professional karaoke show. I DL'd it a couple of days ago and worked with it for a few hours. I thought that a friend of mine might be better served with OpenKJ than Karma, but I stayed with Karma trial version.

It has a "silence detection" feature but I could not get it to work. The absence of a play/start button was odd too. It's very basic appearance is a turn off too. I am sure it will continue to improve, but it is not ready for me yet.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Singer que, I think would be better off where the song search is in the size of the song search and placing the song search where the singer que is now in the size of the singer que. Just my opinion. Other than what I mentioned it does exactly what I feel a professional software should do. If it had the interface like I just described and had I left the warning boxes well enough alone, it would blow in my opinion Karma away. I never liked Karma because it's missing one feature that I insist on having in my software and that is the capability to add remote requests by the touch of an add song button. I used to want the remote requests to go directly into the que but now I see that it's much easier to ensure that they get the best version of the song by it going to a request controller. It also allows me to intercept and delete from the request controller songs that I have been told by the people who are paying me not to play before it actually gets into the que. I think that silence detection is a totally waste of a feature. It doesn't work well for a song that starts out with Acapella because unless there's background vocals during that part, the silence detection will skip over it. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I think that silence detection is a totally waste of a feature. It doesn't work well for a song that starts out with Acapella because unless there's background vocals during that part, the silence detection will skip over it. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

For the extremely rare occasion that the song starts before the music, I would prefer to just restart than to wait for the silence to end on the hundreds/thousands of other occasions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
they have a facebook page you can make requests in.

search for openkj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I think that silence detection is a totally waste of a feature. It doesn't work well for a song that starts out with Acapella because unless there's background vocals during that part, the silence detection will skip over it. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

For the extremely rare occasion that the song starts before the music, I would prefer to just restart than to wait for the silence to end on the hundreds/thousands of other occasions.

OpenKJ does fade out and go into the next singer if you want to do it. But the ease it takes me to accidentally start a sing has got me to turn the setting to warn me that I am about to interrupt a song and ask do I really want to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Your response does not address my statement about silence removal and an occasional "acapella start " being cut off vs. saving time on all the other hundreds of songs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Umm Yes it does. By starting the next song before the current song is done the player fades the current song and starts the next without skipping a beat. Does it take into account the title screen with zero music behind it, no but that's what filler music is for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:40 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Umm Yes it does. By starting the next song before the current song is done the player fades the current song and starts the next without skipping a beat. Does it take into account the title screen with zero music behind it, no but that's what filler music is for.

Danny, that is NOT detecting silence. That is playing a song over the top of silence and not very accurately at best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Their online song search (to compete and eventually surpass iCroons) is getting much better - they now list Karaoke Version, Karaoke.net, Sunfly US......and SBI tracks (which just surpassed iCroons ability as far as downloads go) plus are looking into adding Digitrax and All Star download info. He's still working on past disc info. I sent him an old database I had (have seen others say they did the same) but it would just be a slice of the pie at only 100K tracks.

https://db.openkj.org/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Danny, that is NOT detecting silence. That is playing a song over the top of silence and not very accurately at best.

The program has the option for silence but I refuse to use it because it never takes into account songs that starts with words and no music behind them. Those songs integrity is lost due to that feature so I may choose to use it on the end of the song but never on the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:51 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Lonman wrote:
Their online song search (to compete and eventually surpass iCroons) is getting much better - they now list Karaoke Version, Karaoke.net, Sunfly US......and SBI tracks (which just surpassed iCroons ability as far as downloads go) plus are looking into adding Digitrax and All Star download info. He's still working on past disc info. I sent him an old database I had (have seen others say they did the same) but it would just be a slice of the pie at only 100K tracks.

https://db.openkj.org/

Move over icroons - soon you will be a bit of non-complete history!!
OpenKJ search engine just added SC and DK disc info in results. Also the GEM and Karafun results (although Karafun is kind of redundant as it should match up to Karaoke Version).