KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - EV Evolve 50 vs. Bose non feedback Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
Have a question for those that own an EV Evolve 50. As with the Bose L1 that you can place it behind you with no feedback... is that the same for the EV Evolve 50? I probably won't use it for Karaoke but for a duo I play in... I have an original L1 Model 1 speakers in both columns and it's worked great but it's probably 10-12 years old and it's time for an upgrade and was considering an EV Evolve. But like to place the speaker behind me and would like to know if you get the same non feedback!! Thanks!!! John

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:56 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
sanj wrote:
Have a question for those that own an EV Evolve 50. As with the Bose L1 that you can place it behind you with no feedback... is that the same for the EV Evolve 50? I probably won't use it for Karaoke but for a duo I play in... I have an original L1 Model 1 speakers in both columns and it's worked great but it's probably 10-12 years old and it's time for an upgrade and was considering an EV Evolve. But like to place the speaker behind me and would like to know if you get the same non feedback!! Thanks!!! John

Feedback doesn't come from the "type" of speaker you are using. It is more about the "placement/location" and how your mics are set.

With that said, I own a set (2) of Evolve EV 50's and I can tell you they are the easiest speakers I have ever used to set up. Plus they sound incredible. They don't require a lot of space either. I place mine directly to the sides of the stage so the singer (karaoke of course) is standing in-between the speakers, and I have no feedback issues. I use the GTD 787 mics with the metal housing. I changed over from using the GTD 622 mics because I was having problems with those, including feedback. So it's not the speakers, it's placement and EQ'ing that will stop the problem.

With the current set-up, a person would have to stand pretty much directly in front of a speaker in order to create a feedback issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:53 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

mrscott wrote:
sanj wrote:

Feedback doesn't come from the "type" of speaker you are using. It is more about the "placement/location" and how your mics are set.

With that said, I own a set (2) of Evolve EV 50's and I can tell you they are the easiest speakers I have ever used to set up. Plus they sound incredible. They don't require a lot of space either. I place mine directly to the sides of the stage so the singer (karaoke of course) is standing in-between the speakers, and I have no feedback issues. I use the GTD 787 mics with the metal housing. I changed over from using the GTD 622 mics because I was having problems with those, including feedback. So it's not the speakers, it's placement and EQ'ing that will stop the problem.

With the current set-up, a person would have to stand pretty much directly in front of a speaker in order to create a feedback issue.

Thanks for the input. I place the Bose straight behind and between the 2 of us...so it's used as a monitor as well as a main. Have never had a feedback issue. Yes I know what you're referring to about feedback and placement but have never had an issue with the Bose placement I described. Before I purchased I wanted to make sure placing them in the same location will not increase my possibility for feedback as it hasn't been an issue with the Bose L1 I currently use.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:58 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

sanj wrote:
mrscott wrote:
sanj wrote:

Thanks for the input. I place the Bose straight behind and between the 2 of us...so it's used as a monitor as well as a main. Have never had a feedback issue. Yes I know what you're referring to about feedback and placement but have never had an issue with the Bose placement I described. Before I purchased I wanted to make sure placing them in the same location will not increase my possibility for feedback as it hasn't been an issue with the Bose L1 I currently use.

My suggestion to you sanj, would be to travel down to your closest Guitar Center or Sam Ash, take your guitar and cord, maybe even a wired mic... and ask to set up for a trial run. It will give you a more true duplication of what you are needing to do. I am sure they will be most accommodating for you.

Feedback usually happens within tight surroundings or very poor EQ'ing. By testing one, it will show an example of how true "flat" sounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:01 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The EV 50's have a great dispersion radius. I believe it's close to 120 degrees. Some speakers are as tight as 60 degrees, but most are around 85-90. The Evolves are designed to give a much wider radius, much like the Bose. So, using one as a monitor has a lot of extra flexibility in placement in order to hear yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I, like Mr. Scott, also have two Evolve 50 speakers. And for me, it's the best speaker system I've ever owned in my life. Before purchasing them, I had the Turbosound IP2000. The sound quality just wasn't there. Returned them. Listened to just about every line array system including JBL, Bose, RCF, Peavey (which I also used to own), and let me tell you, my boy... the Evolve 50 blows them all away. And if you think that I'm exaggerating, I'm sure Mr. Scott can confirm that.

The sound is just incredible. There is rarely a night that I don't get compliments. Here's my latest...

A man wanted to do a Bob Dylan song (I forgot which one), when he was done, he looked at me and said "wow, I can actually hear the guitar and harmonica". Needless to say, he was impressed. And this was a song he's sang at other places. Apparently, those other speakers didn't bring out the details, harmonics, and nuances in the music like the Evolve 50 does.

All in all, if it was me, I would take out your Bose system with the trash and go for an Evolve 50. You won't be sorry. And trust me, since sound quality is a top priority for me, if I thought there was anything better, I'd be using it instead of the Evolve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

To the original poster... one more thing:

If you do a search on the Bose L1 system vs Electro Voice Evolve 50, You'll find tons of reviews and videos. For the most part, the Evolve 50 always comes out on top.

Also, keep in mind that in order for the Bose L1 system to sound acceptable, you must purchase the ToneMatch mixer. It let's you manipulate the sound so that it sounds half-way decent.

Keep in mind that the Evolve 50 doesn't need any such magic tricks in order for it to sound good. It sounds amazing on its own. Of course, the bottom line is what works for you.

Rember, when Bose first introduced the line array system, it had no competition. And it got away with charging those ridiculous over inflated prices. People paid those prices since there was nothing else like it on the market. But now there is. Most manufacturers now offer a line array system. And most of them like Electro-Voice, RCF, Maui, Yamaha, etc. offer a lot more, better sound, and are priced much lower.

I would whole Heartly recommend the Evolve 50 over any other comparable line array system out there. In fact, I would recommend it over most conventional speakers as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:31 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Alan B wrote:

If you do a search on the Bose L1 system vs Electro Voice Evolve 50, You'll find tons of reviews and videos. For the most part, the Evolve 50 always comes out on top.

Also, keep in mind that in order for the Bose L1 system to sound acceptable, you must purchase the ToneMatch mixer. It let's you manipulate the sound so that it sounds half-way decent.

Keep in mind that the Evolve 50 doesn't need any such magic tricks in order for it to sound good. It sounds amazing on its own. Of course, the bottom line is what works for you.

Rember, when Bose first introduced the line array system, it had no competition. And it got away with charging those ridiculous over inflated prices. People paid those prices since there was nothing else like it on the market. But now there is. Most manufacturers now offer a line array system. And most of them like Electro-Voice, RCF, Maui, Yamaha, etc. offer a lot more, better sound, and are priced much lower.

I would whole Heartly recommend the Evolve 50 over any other comparable line array system out there. In fact, I would recommend it over most conventional speakers as well.

Thank you Alan.. Such a nice Italian boy!! I'm also of Italian decent!! I already made my decision to buy one BUT my question was about would the Evolve give me the same no feedback (with the current Bose setup with speakers being behind me I use now which would normally promote the opportunity for feedback) as I get from the older Bose L1 I currently have. Question really wasn't asking about the sound comparison but the possible feedback!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

sanj wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Thank you Alan.. Such a nice Italian boy!! I'm also of Italian decent!! I already made my decision to buy one BUT my question was about would the Evolve give me the same no feedback (with the current Bose setup with speakers being behind me I use now which would normally promote the opportunity for feedback) as I get from the older Bose L1 I currently have. Question really wasn't asking about the sound comparison but the possible feedback!!

Unless, you have the Evolve 50's spread out and the singer in the center, feedback should be rare. But... we all know singers move around and if they walk in front of a live speaker, any speaker, you're going to get feedback. The ideal position is the singer behind the speakers. But that's not always possiblle.

I used to get feedback from them until I upgraded to a digital mixer with dbx Automatic Feedback Suppression. Once set up, you can put the mic literally inches away from the speaker and you'll have no feedback.

But to answer your question, the Evolve 50's are not immune to feedback. You will get it. But then again it all depends on several factors such as the mics you're using and how the singer is holding the mic. Usually, if they are holding it away from their mouth or holding it down, you will get it.

It is not the fault of the Evolve 50. Any speaker will feedback given the right circumstances. Learn how to ring out a room, or get a Soundcraft Ui16 digital mixer and let the Live Auto Feedback Suppression take care of it for you.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Alan B wrote:
sanj wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Unless, you have the Evolve 50's spread out and the singer in the center, feedback should be rare. But... we all know singers move around and if they walk in front of a live speaker, any speaker, you're going to get feedback. The ideal position is the singer behind the speakers. But that's not always possiblle.

I used to get feedback from them until I upgraded to a digital mixer with dbx Automatic Feedback Suppression. Once set up, you can put the mic literally inches away from the speaker and you'll have no feedback.

But to answer your question, the Evolve 50's are not immune to feedback. You will get it. But then again it all depends on several factors such as the mics you're using and how the singer is holding the mic. Usually, if they are holding it away from their mouth or holding it down, you will get it.

It is not the fault of the Evolve 50. Any speaker will feedback given the right circumstances. Learn how to ring out a room, or get a Soundcraft Ui16 digital mixer and let the Live Auto Feedback Suppression take care of it for you.

Thank you.

Alan I appreciate the input. I play light percussion and sing in an acoustic duo SO I will be stationery. I have not had any feedback with the Bose L1 positioning it directly behind me and my compadre and realize that's one of the features atleast that is my experience and that's why i asked about the Evolve and feedback. Understand about ringing out a room etc. but nice to have plug and play!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

sanj wrote:
Alan B wrote:
sanj wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Thank you.

Alan I appreciate the input. I play light percussion and sing in an acoustic duo SO I will be stationery. I have not had any feedback with the Bose L1 positioning it directly behind me and my compadre and realize that's one of the features atleast that is my experience and that's why i asked about the Evolve and feedback. Understand about ringing out a room etc. but nice to have plug and play!!!

If your main concern is feedback, and since you are not getting any with the Bose, then maybe you should keep things as they are. Remember, the Evolve is twice as powerful as your L1. Plus, the drivers are bigger... 4 inches as apposed 2.25. And also the Evolve has a much wider dispersion than the Bose. And that could be why the Evolve 50 is more prone to feedback. It's simply a much more powerful system.

So, the choice is give up sound quality for less feedback. Whatever is more important to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Now, if it was me, I would choose better sound and deal with the feedback issue, if it should even present itself with the Evolve 50. Having the best sound quality is always my top priority. I've built a reputation on having the best sound around. I would never sacrifice sound quality, never. If you have feedback issues, then you find a way to deal with it. But don't stop offering the best sound because of it. Of course, that's just me. Your priorities may be different. But for me, I want to provide my singers with the best sound possible. My motto is "Sounding Great Starts With Great Sound".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:

Bose doesn't have to be used with the tonematch mixer to sound great. I have heard a pair connected to a behringer digital mixer and you can hear the cleanest audio you can get plus the audio is exactly what they claim it to be, able to talk without having to compete with the music at your table. The servers loved it because they didn't get any orders wrong because they couldn't hear the orders. If I were to go back to a line array speaker system, I would choose either the Bose or the EV. I would not recommend the JBL one because it was woefully underpowered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Bose doesn't have to be used with the tonematch mixer to sound great.

Wow, Danny! You're the first person who's ever said that. But anyway, I'm not going to get into another "Bose Bashing" reply. I think I've said everything that can be said about Bose on this forum. This topic is about feedback, so we'll leave it at that.

Danny, it is always a pleasure reading your posts. I always look forward to what you're thinking and what you have to say, even if I disagree.

I can only hope you're doing well, and life is treating you fairly. You have always been a welcome addition to this forum and to the karaoke community.