KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - ABBA songs now cleared for use... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
We have just gotten clearances for the Abba tracks as well as the Mamma Mia Musical and Chess. Several tracks are now available and more on the way on http://www.karaoke.net

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:56 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Hopefully more 'no fly' artists/publishers start to relax more.
Do you think it has anything to do with the SOny ordeal or is it more of a fluke?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:04 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
wow,.. good job.. keep braking down those stupid barriers..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:58 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Sony has been approved regarding their 25% US only shares for a long time. Universal owns 75% US only shares (100% Rest of World) on ABBA and Mamma Mia arrangements. ABBA released them surprisingly for karaoke sale (as long as their original audio is not used-must be recreated tracks) during the Christmas holiday according to the US rep for Universal. 'Chess' songs are 100% Universal Worldwide. The 'switch' to allow them for sale was made this past Friday night when the Universal bimonthly approved songs titles spreadsheet was released by their rep.

Last edited by jeffmic on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
HA! Any KJ that tells you that they actively take the "no fly" artist CDGs out of their catalogue are either lying or spending way too much time worrying.

If a legit manufacturer produces the CDG, I play the tracks.

Fly on, no fly songs! :angel:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
TopherM wrote:
HA! Any KJ that tells you that they actively take the "no fly" artist CDGs out of their catalogue are either lying or spending way too much time worrying.

Own the cd/DL play the song..... that is my creed. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

TopherM wrote:

Has anyone made that claim? I absolutely won't pull anything from the 'no fly list' out if it was made by a manufacturer and I paid for it. I won't actively pursue tracks from sketchy sites like BKD or discs like Singer Solution though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:07 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
TopherM wrote:

Has anyone made that claim? I absolutely won't pull anything from the 'no fly list' out if it was made by a manufacturer and I paid for it. I won't actively pursue tracks from sketchy sites like BKD or discs like Singer Solution though.
Just yesterday I did some work on a friend's laptop (not a KJ or DJ) and in exchange he gave me around 200 factory pressed karaoke cd's. In the mix were some Singer Solution. I ripped them and added them to my system even though I bet none of the songs will ever get sung.

I own them, therefore I will use them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
mrmarog wrote:
TopherM wrote:

Own the cd/DL play the song..... that is my creed. 8)

I follow mrmarog philosophy too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Besides, the No Flies are a restriction on future sales by the producers, not on customer usage of previous purchases.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Elementary Penguin wrote:
Besides, the No Flies are a restriction on future sales by the producers, not on customer usage of previous purchases.

Exactly!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
That's not entirely true. There are artists on that list that never approved their songs for use in karaoke.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bastiat wrote:
That's not entirely true. There are artists on that list that never approved their songs for use in karaoke.

Are you saying that we should not play those songs even though we purchased them in good faith?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
Bastiat wrote:

If I have a Karaoke version that I purchased from a manufacturer, I am not going to remove it period. I will not comply with a cease and desist order. And there's no way I am going to allow anyone from them access to my hard drive period. I will work on it in front of them but I am not going to allow them to go after songs that are not in the legal cease and desist order.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:40 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Lol, if you do not comply with a cease and desist order, you are just opening up yourself to more legal issue. Wouldn't happen anyway unless publishers start targeting kjs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
Bastiat wrote:

Rumour has it there are artists on that list that don't even know they've been placed on the list!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
KBKaraoke wrote:
Bastiat wrote:

Rumour has it there are artists on that list that don't even know they've been placed on the list!

I'd believe that. How many artists sit around worrying about their songs on karaoke. SOME, sure. Most, probably not. Some are probably on the list because some handler decided it. There are videos out there of artists on the list who are out doing karaoke. LOL I can't remember specifically but I remember thinking about it and giggling when I saw them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
To mrmarog ... I'm merely stating that there were artists on that list that never approved their songs for karaoke. I'm not offering a legal opinion as to what you should or shouldn't play.

To DannyG2006 ... not complying with a cease and desist order would be one of the worse decisions you ever made. I can assure you that publishers can rain down on you a form of misery unlike anything else you've ever experienced in your life. If you receive a subpoena to inspect your hard drive, refusing is not an option. That is of course unless spending time in the sin bin doesn't disagree too much with your life style.

To Lonman ... Wise man to comply with a cease and desist. Probably will never happen unless publishers can find an angle that will generate another revenue stream for themselves through litigation. It's what their MO was with the producers. Let's see $1,500 or so per song for a lot of work in issuing and managing a license, versus the threat of $150,000 statutory fine per song. As they say .... follow the money.

To KBKaraoke ... it's possible but in all likelihood those rumors are probably false. In just about every case that I'm aware of it is usually the artist that wants to keep the song from being sung in a karaoke bar. Publishers are more interested in earning royalties and don't really have much affection for the songs themselves so it's usually not in their best interest to withhold a song from the revenue chain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
MrBoo wrote:
KBKaraoke wrote:
Bastiat wrote:

I'd believe that. How many artists sit around worrying about their songs on karaoke. SOME, sure. Most, probably not. Some are probably on the list because some handler decided it. There are videos out there of artists on the list who are out doing karaoke. LOL I can't remember specifically but I remember thinking about it and giggling when I saw them.

I'd put Adele right at the top of that list after seeing her on James Cordon's Carpool Karaoke segment. Can you say "hypocrite."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Adele does license her songs...Very selectively, but she does do it.