KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - CDG vs. CD+G Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CDG vs. CD+G
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:56 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Hello,

I've created CDG's as ".BIN" files which is what I've been using for several years. I would now like to be able to create a Karaoke CDG that has the ability to have background pictures in back of the words. Are these CD+G files? How do they differ from a conventional CDG file? And what software would I need to accomplish this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! jnulr

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: CDG vs. CD+G
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
are you saying you ripped a karaoke cd to .bin and now you want to edit the background pics and then burn to karaoke cd?

as far as custom backgrounds, you can use many different karaoke players with the feature to display custom background images. ie: karafun, compuhost.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
jnulr wrote:
Hello,

I've created CDG's as ".BIN" files which is what I've been using for several years. I would now like to be able to create a Karaoke CDG that has the ability to have background pictures in back of the words. Are these CD+G files? How do they differ from a conventional CDG file? And what software would I need to accomplish this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! jnulr

Ask your singers what they think of distracting backgrounds that make the lyrics virtually unreadable before you go down this annoying road.

The one and only function of the screen should be to display the lyrics clearly and in sync with the music.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
dsm2000 wrote:
Ask your singers what they think of distracting backgrounds that make the lyrics virtually unreadable before you go down this annoying road.

The one and only function of the screen should be to display the lyrics clearly and in sync with the music.

wow...
i have different backgrounds for each venue and not a complaint anywhere.
if the backgrounds are distracting, you are stupid and used the wrong backgrounds.
if the words are virtually unreadable, you are stupid and used the wrong backgrounds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
dsm2000 wrote:

wow...
if the backgrounds are distracting, you are stupid and used the wrong backgrounds.
if the words are virtually unreadable, you are stupid and used the wrong backgrounds.

Paradigm, that is a very stupid and very rude reply. DSM's reply was not meant to be harsh, but informative and just his opinion.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
wow...

Sadly, there are people out there who think that yellow and purple and green swirling in the background is "cool".

If your crowd is mostly older I can guarantee they prefer clear large lyrics without moving backgrounds.

Have you ever asked your singers or do you just "Know" that they share your idea of what is cool?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
dsm2000 wrote:

wow...

Paradigm, that is a very stupid and very rude reply. DSM's reply was not meant to be harsh, but informative and just his opinion.

it was absolutely meant to be harsh. backgrounds are not distracting nor are they making lyrics virtually unreadable if done right. same as a sub does not make vocals muddy and unintelligible if used correctly. in both cases, the results are because the user does not know what they are doing.
i am not telling anyone tu use backgrounds, you like them , use them, you don't, then don't use them.
but to say they make lyrics unreadable is incorrect.
example:
Attachment:
SINGER SCREEN EXAMPLE.png
SINGER SCREEN EXAMPLE.png [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 22409 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
it was absolutely meant to be harsh. backgrounds are not distracting nor are they making lyrics virtually unreadable if done right. same as a sub does not make vocals muddy and unintelligible if used correctly. in both cases, the results are because the user does not know what they are doing.
i am not telling anyone tu use backgrounds, you like them , use them, you don't, then don't use them.
but to say they make lyrics unreadable is incorrect.
example:
Attachment:
SINGER SCREEN EXAMPLE.png

So to attempt to prove your point you post a graphic with

- A florescent green countdown clock
- Overly faded background that just adds noise to the screen with no real visual appeal
- Embossed 1980's style company logo that is so large it competes with the lyrics for the singers eye
- Contrasting Outlined cdg text. (Outlining just emphasizes the inherent blockiness of cdg graphics.

From a graphic designer point of view, the most charitable thing that can be said is that it could use a bit of work.

The key here is "Done Right" which is technically impossible within the confines of the cdg specifications.

Don't mean to rag on you but I grew up in the late 60's and had to put up with what some over 50 tv executive thought was what we teens wanted to see when our favorite groups appeared on shows. We wanted to see the bands play their hits, not some cheesy network fool's idea of psychedelia.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) For what it is worth I always went with the standard background for the discs, sometimes it can be very helpful since by looking at the generic background I can generally tell what brand is up. It's just helpful to me personally.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) For what it is worth I always went with the standard background for the discs, sometimes it can be very helpful since by looking at the generic background I can generally tell what brand is up. It's just helpful to me personally.

I see what you did there.. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

dsm2000 wrote:

So to attempt to prove your point you post a graphic with

- A florescent green countdown clock[/quote]
the clock that is in the hosting software, that is in several hosting softwares....
what exactly is your point on this?
dsm2000 wrote:
- Overly faded background that just adds noise to the screen with no real visual appeal

an American Flag and Legion logo...since this is my screen for the American Legion and both members and officers have come to me telling ME how they like that i put that up ther. personalizing it for the post....it apparently does not add "noise" or lack "visual appeal"...quite the opposite according to them. and the faded part is so it does NOT become a visual nuisance.
dsm2000 wrote:
- Embossed 1980's style company logo that is so large it competes with the lyrics for the singers eye

don't care if you don't like my logo, and again, not one complaint.
dsm2000 wrote:
- Contrasting Outlined cdg text. (Outlining just emphasizes the inherent blockiness of cdg graphics.

now your beef is the version i used?