KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - fighting during karaoke in 2017 Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:35 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
i'd have to say, compared to other years, this 2017, fights haven't been one of the issues.

gosh i remember like late 2000s, like 2007-2010 or so, fights, fights, fights.

i didn't think so back in the late 2000s, but nowadays i say kinda jokingly that a fight is a sign of a good karaoke night.

what say, y'all; any fights in 2017?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Product 19 wrote:
i'd have to say, compared to other years, this 2017, fights haven't been one of the issues.

gosh i remember like late 2000s, like 2007-2010 or so, fights, fights, fights.

i didn't think so back in the late 2000s, but nowadays i say kinda jokingly that a fight is a sign of a good karaoke night.

what say, y'all; any fights in 2017?

8) Fighting during karaoke, really ? I don't know what kinda places you are playing in but you must either be really brave or not have very good equipment to risk it, in that type of a venue. The type of venue I mean that allows fighting to go on inside the place, I mean if someone gets hurt the venue could be sued. That is why all the venues I know have zero tolerance for fighting and 86 anyone fighting, just protecting their business interest. If that type of situation exists it reminds me of "The Blues Brothers" where they are playing at the Country/Western bar and have the wire mesh to stop flying beer bottles. I don't know about you but if something like a fight were to happen on a regular basis at a venue, I would be looking seriously for another gig. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:46 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Years ago, I used to host at a venue that was really in a bad area. Directly across the street was a strip club that was frequented by mostly crack heads and a generally low class of people. In the bar I was as was not a lot different. A vast majority of the customers were of what I would call "questionable character". Almost nightly was a fight or some sort of altercation. But they really did support karaoke. The bar held about 120 people, and was usually fairly full, with rotations around 20 or so. I made the most tips there on a constistent basis that any other place I have worked at. However, the bar manager himself was of "questionable character", and I never knew from one week to the next if karaoke was going to continue. I was there for about 4 months or so, and left by my own decision, not because of the fighting or the type of clientele, I left because of how wishy washy the manager was. But the story does not end here.

I hooked a kid up with taking over for me this karaoke show. This kid (I call him a kid cuz he was about my sons age) was already the Friday night DJ at the bar, so the transition was fairly painless. He was also one of my regular singers. Pretty decent kid too. After about 8 months of the same thing for him too, there happened to be a gun fight in the bar between drug dealers. Luckily nobody was killed, but 3 people were injured by gunfire. He quit on the spot, gathered his gear and never returned to the bar. As far as I know, they have not had karaoke since. Not many hosts want to be associated with a venue that is noted for that type of trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
The local joint here runs UFC fights and football on the big tvs with the sound down during Karaoke . . . Does that count?

Disconcerting for the poor singer when the crowd abruptly cheers or moans while they are singing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
At a very rough estimate, I've hosted something like 1400 karaoke shows in the past 14 years. Over that time, I've seen exactly ONE fight where/while I was hosting. It was quickly subdued by the patrons. There was one other that I'm aware of, but the protagonists had the good sense to take it outside before any physical activity took place.

Only one of the two venues has a designated/paid security person. He has the most boring job on karaoke nights, and spends most of his time helping the bartender by cleaning tables. Apparently on band and DJ nights at that venue it's a completely different story.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Depends on the age of the crowd Earl. Most karaoke shows have older patrons who aren't so quick to start mixing it up with somebody. With DJ or Band Night you have a younger crowd that usually heals better. I like to think that as we age we gain some wisdom. Not many of the help me I'm falling and can't get up crowd are going to break a chair over somebody, just saying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Depends on the age of the crowd Earl. Most karaoke shows have older patrons who aren't so quick to start mixing it up with somebody. With DJ or Band Night you have a younger crowd that usually heals better. I like to think that as we age we gain some wisdom. Not many of the help me I'm falling and can't get up crowd are going to break a chair over somebody, just saying.

You're absolutely right. Of course, it may also help that, although somewhat elderly, I'm ex-military... 6' 0" and 270 lbs. :wink:

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Personally fighting in some bar isn't what I recall as the "Good Old Days". It maybe the main entertainment in Oklahoma, or Mississippi on a Friday or Saturday night, but it isn't what I call fun. Usually the combatants are both losers with either one, or more going to jail, or the bouncers working both over and dumping them in the parking lot. :o :o :o

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
lemme explain:

there were a bunch of fights at this one venue i think because it was a younger, college-aged crowd that showed up and karaoke was brand new to them as entertainment back then. i learned that there was an apartment complex nearby and i see it when i drive by (this was during The late Bush Years early Obama years, so the economy was different) and at that time a rack of young folks lived in the apartment. the venue was walking distance so it became their hangout. that many college-aged young people in 1 spot + music + alcohol = instant fights. now those same folks have grown up and those apartments have gone up in prices, so no more fights.

i'll admit, it was fun/i do miss seeing all those college-aged young folks dress up to the 9s every karaoke night; it became like a singles hotspot.

like i remember there was a power outage in the apt complex on my karaoke night once, so it was like the entire place came by, of course for food and light. it became a spot for them to meet their neighbors.