KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sometimes, it feels like I'm the only one... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
Let's say I need 4 new tires for my car. My local tire store sells the tires that I want for $100 each. the place where I buy my gasoline also sells tires and the guy pumping my gas tells me that he can set me up with the same 4 tires for $200. Am I supposed to hire a private investigator to find out why the gas station guy can afford to sell the tires at that price or am I allowed to recognize a bargain when I see one? Maybe the gasoline attendant is pocketing the $200 and not telling the gas station owner that he sold the tires and the gas station owner doesn't keep a close eye on his inventory and never notices the missing tires. How is it my responsibility to make sure that the gas station attendant is an honest man before I buy tires from him? What if I make a karaoke track and give it to the BKD guy and he sells the track on his web site and someone, in good faith, buys the track from him instead of getting it directly from me foe FREE? Is the track now okay to use because he actually paid someone for it?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
Let's say I need 4 new tires for my car. My local tire store sells the tires that I want for $100 each. the place where I buy my gasoline also sells tires and the guy pumping my gas tells me that he can set me up with the same 4 tires for $200. Am I supposed to hire a private investigator to find out why the gas station guy can afford to sell the tires at that price or am I allowed to recognize a bargain when I see one? Maybe the gasoline attendant is pocketing the $200 and not telling the gas station owner that he sold the tires and the gas station owner doesn't keep a close eye on his inventory and never notices the missing tires. How is it my responsibility to make sure that the gas station attendant is an honest man before I buy tires from him? What if I make a karaoke track and give it to the BKD guy and he sells the track on his web site and someone, in good faith, buys the track from him instead of getting it directly from me foe FREE? Is the track now okay to use because he actually paid someone for it?

8) The problem with your analogy is the guy pumping gas seems to be stealing from his employer, you kinda know whats going on, doesn't that make you a buyer of stolen goods? Just in a technical sense is what I mean. When the talk centers around copyright infringement at least on this forum, there is a position on the surface that copyright infringement should not be tolerated, on any level. Yet we find out that infringement occurs on every level, even the manus who go after those who infringe,are guilty of the same violation, it makes you wonder who has the morale high ground on this? To me this seems to be the height of hypocrisy, suing someone for doing what you are engaged in yourself. Sort of like the scene from Casablanca where the prefect of police states he closing down Rick's, he says "I'm shocked to find out gambling is going on here". Then the roulette operator gives him his winnings. I would be more impressed with the sincerity of hosts that removed questionable material from their catalogs before they were asked to, whether it is paid for or not. At least then I would know they are putting principle before cash.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:33 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
Quote:

. I would be more impressed with the sincerity of hosts that removed questionable material from their catalogs before they were asked to, whether it is paid for or not. At least then I would know they are putting principle before cash.

I did that for a while, but after ten years, I just got too damned tired of seeming like the only one in a sea of people that actually cared one way or the other. Especially when the people who own the music are the worst of the whole bunch.

I now just follow a much simpler rule for my own personal peace of mind.. Pay for what you use, legality is someone else's problem. Now that doesn't mean i'd go out and buy a pre-loaded hard drive for a commercial show tho

just my two cents, for what its worth

-James

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) The problem with your analogy is the guy pumping gas seems to be stealing from his employer, you kinda know whats going on, doesn't that make you a buyer of stolen goods?

not if the station is actually selling the tires for that price.
example....
https://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVELX112 ... hEALw_wcB=

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... sku=753850

same speaker, $125 difference.
does that mean i should assume B&H is selling stolen speakers?
should i assume whoever set up the website is stealing from their employer?