KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A Tale of Two Karaoke Hosts Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Lone, you forgot the third or fourth ways to do it. The third has the Host giving preference to a good looking girl that they want to impress or a guy that slips the host a twenty dollar bill each time he wants to sing next or the style where the host sings every other song cause he feels that it's his showcase and somehow or other he is going to get discovered by the next big band to hit America. As I said I run mine with the emphasis on giving everyone a fair chance to sing. I prefer to get new singers into the present rotation because everyone who sang in the present rotation has already had a turn to sing one or more songs. I will not capable a rotation because again it makes a possible new singer more likely to put a song in than walk out the door because they feel like they're being treated respectfully.

8) I was talking about proper v.s. improper ways to do a rotation Danny. I'm sure all kinds of other ways exist, like giving the venue owners and their friends a fast track, but I hope at least on this forum we are all ethical hosts. :angel: :angel: :angel:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
So if I came in and submitted my request to sing anywhere during the 2nd rotation, I would expect to see my name added just below Jerry's in the 2nd rotation or I would feel slighted and probably leave before I even got to sing.

I’ll say it again: YES, you will sing after Jerry, provided I haven’t typed “3rd Rotation Start” for everyone to see on screen tv. However, once I typed that entry you will be inserted in the 3rd round.
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
if i saw you get put just below Jerry and i was Dallas (at the top of the rotation and at the top of 3rd rotation), i would leave. my spot was just taken by you and i was there earlier.

I agree with Paradigm. This is exactly what’s going to happen if you insist you should sing after Jerry - notwithstanding I already typed “3rd Rotation” for all to see. Dallas will be all over me, I just added another 4 minutes wait-time.
DannyG2006 wrote:
And then I would leave if I wasn't after Jerry in the rotation that I put my name and song in..

:roll: Bye Bye!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
First of all the first singer in the rotation should get over it. If he really knows how a real rotation works, he should be the only one following a different singer each rotation. That's just how Karaoke works. The new singer following Jerry did not take anybody's spot but his own rightful spot. Think about it this way let's say everyone in the rotation thinks like Pardigm I'd you use the insert method, the new singer would still be taking someone's spot. So I day that the singers who already sang should stand aside and let someone who hasn't sung get a chance to sing before they sing again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Well no host for this Saturday, so it looks like I'm going to do the gig. Since I'm not getting paid for it I'm going to do my own thing. I have already setup my speakers, I dragged out the Yamaha 15" DXR's and dusted them off, it is a good thing I keep them in their protective coverings. I decided to get my Alpine suit out and my hat with the feather in it. Looks like we are going to have October/fest that night. The officers of the post were supposed to cook the dinner, but naturally they bailed. The Sons/Ladies Aux are going to have pasta, I'm going to surprise them and bring in my large crock full of Polish Sausages, Sliced Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, and Sauerkraut, slowed cooked all day in beer with my secret German Gravy. That way at least one officer will have contributed to the food for that night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Well no host for this Saturday, so it looks like I'm going to do the gig. Since I'm not getting paid for it I'm going to do my own thing.

You’ll do great, LoneR. You have years of experience hosting karaoke. You’re the only one who can make this party a success.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
The problem with rotations is if you call someone up who's getting served at the bar, in the toilet or if they are outside smoking. When smoking was allowed in bars I used to encourage smokers to bring their cigarettes on stage with them to keep the evening moving.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Last night we had our October/fest it was a good night the bar was full all evening, and I had a decent number of singers. The German food I made was all gone, that is when you know you did it right. I'm taking a page out of Brian's and Lonnie's book and I am leaving my big speakers at the post until the matter of the new host or hosts is settled. That way I won't have to lug them back and forth if one of these new contestants doesn't show up. All I will have to do then is setup up my mobile rack and be ahead of the game. At the calendar meeting it was decided to keep the multi host plan at least until the beginning of next year.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

singsong wrote:
The problem with rotations is if you call someone up who's getting served at the bar, in the toilet or if they are outside smoking. When smoking was allowed in bars I used to encourage smokers to bring their cigarettes on stage with them to keep the evening moving.

My software allows me to skip the singer just by clicking on the next singer if that happens but if the singer has a smartphone and put their request in using their phone, my request system will alert them that they need to make their way up to the stage ahead of time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) I'm taking a page out of Brian's and Lonnie's book and I am leaving my big speakers at the post until the matter of the new host or hosts is settled.

Make sure your Yamaha DXR15's are secured and safe. I know it's the vfw and they're all vets but I probably more worried about the guests and visitors coming to the post.

I’ve been burned in the past, it becomes painfully apparent that I can’t trust most of the people around me and unsure about the restaurant customers going in and out during non-karaoke nights. Peace of mind, I padlock my four QSC kw122's to make it difficult for anyone with intent to walk away with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Last night we had our October/fest it was a good night the bar was full all evening, and I had a decent number of singers. The German food I made was all gone, that is when you know you did it right. I'm taking a page out of Brian's and Lonnie's book and I am leaving my big speakers at the post until the matter of the new host or hosts is settled. That way I won't have to lug them back and forth if one of these new contestants doesn't show up. All I will have to do then is setup up my mobile rack and be ahead of the game. At the calendar meeting it was decided to keep the multi host plan at least until the begging of next year.

Let's hope that these hosts are willing to work that way. I know that if I was in their shoes that if it wasn't decided within a month, I probably would move on to the next chance to get a gig. I want to be working week in and week out, not doing what ends up being a once a month gig and having to turn away gigs waiting for your group to make up their minds. I like hosting shows but in the end I am going where the steady income is and that is a venue that wants me to do it every week. The hosts that you are working with might not be available for the next time that you want them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Let's hope that these hosts are willing to work that way. I know that if I was in their shoes that if it wasn't decided within a month, I probably would move on to the next chance to get a gig. I want to be working week in and week out, not doing what ends up being a once a month gig and having to turn away gigs waiting for your group to make up their minds. I like hosting shows but in the end I am going where the steady income is and that is a venue that wants me to do it every week. The hosts that you are working with might not be available for the next time that you want them.

8) So far everyone of the hosts have had no problem with sharing the Saturday work load. You see Danny most of the hosts in this area are retired and don't need to work all the time. In fact one host told me the reason he didn't try out was he did not want to work every Saturday. Each so far has made their nights and none seem in the mood to move on. Jobs in this area are not that plentiful since most venues that had karaoke have either closed, burned down or stopped having entertainment. There is an over saturation of hosts in this town and I'm always asked if I want to sell my library and equipment. I have sold some equipment but I would never sell my discs. If something happened where a host dropped out I would just fill in the gap until the final decision is made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Brian A wrote:
Make sure your Yamaha DXR15's are secured and safe. I know it's the vfw and they're all vets but I probably more worried about the guests and visitors coming to the post.

I’ve been burned in the past, it becomes painfully apparent that I can’t trust most of the people around me and unsure about the restaurant customers going in and out during non-karaoke nights. Peace of mind, I padlock my four QSC kw122's to make it difficult for anyone with intent to walk away with it.

8) Actually Brian it's the American Legion, all guests and visitors coming into the post have to be signed in by a member, and the member is responsible for any problems that might arise. A public restaurant is a little bit different from a private club. The original cowboy host left his speakers and equipment set up for over a year and nothing happened. All I'm leaving are my heavy speakers on stands that would be noticed if someone tried to take off with them, it's not like a small laptop or something of that nature. All the rest of my equipment goes home with me. We aren't hiring bands since we can't afford them, and I'm at all karaoke host shows since I'm evaluating the contestants. Not to mention the post itself carries insurance that covers theft of the contents of the post, and the employees have a clear view if anyone should approach the speakers. Thanks for your concern.

P.S. Besides all of this there is a security system and surveilance cameras 24/7 for the entire building, they are probably safer than in my own storage area at home. Part of the reason the security is so tight is because it's not in a good area, that is why both posts will be sold if we merge and a new post in a better location will be constructed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) My next contestant will be doing the Halloween Party at the post this Saturday, I can hardly wait. So far no one has dropped out so I still have at least three hosts interested in working at the Legion. They all seem satisfied with the pay and the rotation of hosts so far. I'm still waiting in the wings if someone drops out, so there is no disruption of karaoke service. Everything seems to be working and we are continuing to regain our target market, and improve our market share. Let's hope we can have another profitable month, two in a row would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) The Halloween Party last night was a big success and the post was full most of the evening. The last contestant played and I have mixed feelings about his performance. Most of the people seemed to like what he was doing, so I asked the canary in the coal mine my wife. She told me his speakers and music didn't sound right, and that his microphones were a joke. Me and my wife hardly agree on anything I guess that is the secret to our long marriage. You know all the fighting and making up. On this particular occasion though we were in agreement. So now I have a problem do I go with the crowd that seemed to like him or do I tell him that his performance was good and that he needs to fix a few things? The post wants me to give him another try, so when faced with two choices I always take the more bold. Knowing him I thought is was better to talk to his wife, I told her that we want him to come back, but that we wanted him to make a few improvements to his microphones and his sound mix. She told me, "I told him the same thing".

I just wonder if his style will work on a normal night. At the Halloween Party everyone was in costume and drinking, and the host did little things like having a light show, and decorating his speakers with spider webs and other decorations. My wife told me that "This would work on a Party night, let's see how it plays on a regular evening". This is getting real scary us agreeing like this, it truly was a Halloween Party.

P.S. Another thing I noticed he didn't keep the singers moving at a good rate, he took too much time to get the next singer up and going.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
P.S. Another thing I noticed he didn't keep the singers moving at a good rate, he took too much time to get the next singer up and going.

If he has been at this for awhile and he is still slow at encouraging quicker response of the next singer, then move on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

If he has been at this for awhile and he is still slow at encouraging quicker response of the next singer, then move on.

8) It could be that he is just rusty mrmarog, he doesn't play on a regular basis and he was thrust into a new environment, where he didn't know most of the players. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and let him do another show, this time on a regular night and see what the response is. I'm also looking for signs that he is trying to improve his music mix and microphone problems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
LR, watching your scenario of revolving KJ pan out I thought to myself, this last KJ will be at the biggest advantage because of the occasion. A Halloween party will bring out people wanting to party and some could care less about the quality of the KJ's mics and his sound mixing abilities. Obviously he lacks these talents because his wife even tells him what you and your wife are hearing. The choice to make him perform on a regular night will probably change the crowd's attitude towards the KJ. This will level the playing field with your other KJ prospects IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
I always display a list of the next SIX singers in between every song.
That way, no one can ever be any closer to singing than 6th no matter what the excuse/reasoning is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
I always display a list of the next SIX singers in between every song.
That way, no one can ever be any closer to singing than 6th no matter what the excuse/reasoning is.

We have a large karaoke room. I always list FIVE singers displayed on 2 24” tvs. I think I’ll get a bigger size 32” display so I can list 6 singers.

Last edited by Brian A on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
bazinga wrote:
LR, watching your scenario of revolving KJ pan out I thought to myself, this last KJ will be at the biggest advantage because of the occasion. A Halloween party will bring out people wanting to party and some could care less about the quality of the KJ's mics and his sound mixing abilities. ...

I agree with this. You can't fairly judge a KJ on a Party/Holiday Night that that brings EVERYONE out (such as Halloween). As Bazinga pointed out, a Party crowd (on a night like that) might not care about sound systems. I agree that you should re-judge that KJ on a normal night. Definitely see that he gets your feedback prior to his preparing for his next turn to appear, and see if he changed anything (for the better).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next