KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A Tale of Two Karaoke Hosts Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
P.S. Another thing I noticed he didn't keep the singers moving at a good rate, he took too much time to get the next singer up and going.

curious, what do you consider not moving at a good rate?
20 seconds between, 30, 45, a minute?
trying to see it as it was, not my perception of slow

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
cueball wrote:
bazinga wrote:
LR, watching your scenario of revolving KJ pan out I thought to myself, this last KJ will be at the biggest advantage because of the occasion. A Halloween party will bring out people wanting to party and some could care less about the quality of the KJ's mics and his sound mixing abilities. ...

I agree with this. You can't fairly judge a KJ on a Party/Holiday Night that that brings EVERYONE out (such as Halloween). As Bazinga pointed out, a Party crowd (on a night like that) might not care about sound systems. I agree that you should re-judge that KJ on a normal night. Definitely see that he gets your feedback prior to his preparing for his next turn to appear, and see if he changed anything (for the better).

8) Of course I agree with both of you, that is why I'm giving him a second look. I can only go by what my members are telling me, after all the purpose of this contest is for them to pick their host or hosts as the case maybe. One thing is for sure one of my goals of getting more traffic in the post is working, since each host brings in his own following. Not much overlap so we are having new people come in and seeing what's going on. Some even come back if they like the setup.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Brian A wrote:
c. staley wrote:
I always display a list of the next SIX singers in between every song.
That way, no one can ever be any closer to singing than 6th no matter what the excuse/reasoning is.

We have a large karaoke room. I always list FIVE singers displayed on 2 24” tvs. I think I’ll get a bigger size 32” display so I can list 6 singers.

8) I'm a little more old school than you Brian all I have is an old erasable board, quite large that I put the order up on, for everyone to see. Of course I keep a personal list I write down by hand by my setup, sort of a dual system.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
P.S. Another thing I noticed he didn't keep the singers moving at a good rate, he took too much time to get the next singer up and going.

curious, what do you consider not moving at a good rate?
20 seconds between, 30, 45, a minute?
trying to see it as it was, not my perception of slow

8) If you allow for 3 minutes a song on average, in an hour a host should be able to get off somewhere around at least 15 singers, this allows for longer songs and of course locating the performer. Sometimes you can do more sometimes for various reasons less, but 15 minimum should be the standard I think. This is the average I always went with and it seems reasonable. If you have 30 singers that means on average all will sing once in a two hour period or less. What I was seeing was about 10 to 12 patrons an hour. Just my thinking do you feel that is about right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:40 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

i guess it depends on the venue. if it's an oldies venue, yeah...that sounds about what i notice as well. anything but a strict oldies venue though and the average tends to be closer to 4 minutes per song (i'm talking 60's - today).
the hosts style can play into it a bit as well. some do assembly line, one after another like herding cattle (or that's how it feels when i go to those shows).
"that was Sarah, Edge Of Seventeen.....now introducing Kyle....(song starts)

others like me, i banter a bit with the singer and crowd (a few seconds, not a long diatribe)
"give it up for Sara you guys, nice job hun, that is my favorite Stevie Nicks song EVER. Did you get to see them with Eagles? (shakes her head no) me neither, hopefully they do another run together. Hey Kyle... (Kyle says yes through the mic, Speaking of Eagles, this was their first Billboard #1, are you ready my friend (he says ready on the mic) , allright, then here we go."
that whole thing takes about 20 seconds total and i will talk over the outro of the previous song.
i'm basically having a conversation with my singers, but the entire audience gets to listen in.
plus, it's informative. maybe they didn't know about a tour, or a new album from an artist they like but now they do. some will find interest in this being the first #1 and not Hotel California like they thought.

i personally always preferred hosts that try to connect to the singers as opposed to a cattle caller.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:27 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I cattle call over the mic, but get personal on a one on one basis off mic.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
I think most people would prefer Paradigm's approach to a singer because of the banter/quick 20 second conversation others get to hear.

Not only does it sell the hosts' personality, but it can also give information/trivia and a reference to another artist or song.

Cattle calling like a robot anyone can do. Creating banter while moving the show along and connecting with others...now THAT's what a real entertainer does! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Yes and no, as a singer I dislike hosts that try to be the entertainment. I just want them to call the singers as those people are the real entertainment. So I run my show like i'd like to see one run - the host getting the singers up, encouraging applause, not looking bored or doing other things when a singer is singing (helping when they miss a step). I can still do a little jibber jabber between singers on mic but it's just little quips and nothing more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Lon, I do the same thing. I call for the next singer immediately after giving the finishing singer their due, then I quickly announce the next 2 singers, then while the next singer is coming to the stage I add my little banter.

No lost time at all!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

i should mention, i don't use a stage.
while one singer is singing, i hand out the next mic to the next singer.
my banter (or jibber jabber...foo!) with the singers is the time of switching singers on stage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) I decided to touch base with the host for this evening, I found out both his land line and cellphone have been disconnected. I don't know if he will show for the gig and I can't get in touch with him. He has had health problems in the past and it could be that he is not able to go on tonight. It's a good thing I have the speakers in place. I loaded up the rest of my equipment in the van and am taking it with me. I intend to go early and see if he is setting up, if not I will have to fill in the gap once again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) The host did show up so it wasn't necessary to do the gig. It seemed like a good night all the dinners were sold and everyone had a good night. Next week is Veterans Day so we should have a large crowd all weekend. The vote to proceed with the merger was carried and hopefully the final vote will be in January. When the merger is finally approved that is when the real work begins. I wasn't aware of the cost for doing ground work was so expensive. Lucky for us the finance officer of our post donated $30,000.00 to get the ball rolling, so all of the paper work could be completed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:33 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Went to the meeting yesterday concerning the proposed merger of the two local American Legions. I saw the blueprints of the new building that will be ready by 2019 if everything goes like it should. I is very impressive that the cities of Hemet and San Jacinto have donated the land to build on. It will be in a new development section of town close by the new expressway. I just hope the joint memberships will approve the merger, since it would be in the best interests of both posts. Then instead of having two failing operations we would have on paper a possible sustainable operation for at least 20 years. All of this is based on of course getting younger people into the organization, if not then the last vet standing can turn off the lights, in the new venue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

haven't you been arguing AGAINST younger people in there?
just BB's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
haven't you been arguing AGAINST younger people in there?
just BB's.

8) I have related the experiences that we have had with the younger crowd not having the disposable income, that BB's who are retired and not raising a family have. You have to remember Paradigm even the BB's are aging and will start to die off themselves, not soon enough to suit the political hacks in Washington, since we are going to bankrupt the country. I'm surprised some of our elitists haven't suggested the final solution for the elderly. After all they want to do away with most entitlement programs and the New Deal aka Social Security/ Medicare.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about how we could combine the various groups we wish to attract. According to the majority of the merger committee the new building we will be constructing is the answer. It will be far larger and more modern than the two present posts, it will be over 22,000 square feet, on five acres, will have 10 RV hookups and over 250 regular parking spaces. It will be wired for Wifi, have a sports bar, bingo for 300 patrons, meeting rooms so that many activities can be run on the same night. We will be supporting scouting, have a child care room for parents that want to enjoy the post, but don't have a babysitter. There will be a work out room, large dinning area and kitchen, so we can continue our dinner and entertainment nights. For the first year officers from both posts will jointly run the operation through the usual E board structure. The key to everything is getting both posts to agree to the merger, to me it's a no brainer, but that is the problem we are dealing with some entrenched interests that have no brain.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) I just want to say after Veteran's Day yesterday is "Thank all of you Veterans for your service". We had the usual parade, free food, and entertainment and all seemed peaceful. It was peaceful because some citizens did what was needed to insure that this country is safe and everyone can live here in safety, at least safe when you see what is happening in other parts of the world. One thing to remember always is freedom is never really free, someone has to pay the price.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:47 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) I just want to say after Veteran's Day yesterday is "Thank all of you Veterans for your service". We had the usual parade, free food, and entertainment and all seemed peaceful. It was peaceful because some citizens did what was needed to insure that this country is safe and everyone can live here in safety, at least safe when you see what is happening in other parts of the world. One thing to remember always is freedom is never really free, someone has to pay the price.

Amen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Last evening, at the end of the first rotation, I decided to sing Eric Bogle's "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" in honour of our Remembrance Day (your Veterans Day) activities. I actually made it all the way through, but not without a certain amount of choking-up.

If you're not familiar with the song... I think it's also done by The Bushwackers... I'd simply ask that you give it a listen when you get the opportunity.

There's a part at the end where the young people ask "What are they marching for?" and the narrator replies "and I ask myself the same question"... It's a heartbreaking commentary, and pretty-much sums up the futility of war.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Earl wrote:
Last evening, at the end of the first rotation, I decided to sing Eric Bogle's "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" in honour of our Remembrance Day (your Veterans Day) activities. I actually made it all the way through, but not without a certain amount of choking-up.

Veterans Day karaoke at my gig last night. 5 vet regulars, we all decided to wear our service dress uniform as per armed services directive: All retired military members and honorably discharged veterans are encouraged to wear their military uniform proudly, with ribbons or medals on Veterans day.

I sang God bless the USA by Lee Greenwood dvd version. ‘got me choked-up at mark 1:58; video of ‘The Wall’ Vietnam memorial with names of those who died in that war.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) It is end of the month and I have one more host to check out. I already am pretty sure he isn't going to make the cut, he is still disc based with no computer and really no modern equipment at all he is using same old speakers for the last 10 years, and his mics should have been replaced a long time ago. Well see what happens, I did say I would give everyone a fair shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next