KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I Feel Like it Bombed -- Is this normal? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Alan B wrote:
If you only had 3 singers the entire night (not very likely but just go with it), and even if you included yourself into the rotation making it 4 singers, would you still do just karaoke? Or would you break it up with some music in between? I would choose the latter.

After 3 rounds of just 3 Singers, I would put my system on Auto-Pilot... In other words, I would start putting in Multiplex discs (such as Pop Hits Monthly (Pop) from 2000), and play a few of the tracks. I would watch the audience to see if anyone was singing along, and then approach them with the Mic and try to coax them to sing along. Then I would try to coax that/those person/people to pick a song and do one solo. I have had a night or two, where I had no participants, and this seems to have worked. I also have resorted to plopping in my SC TV Tunes CDG, and got the crowds to join in.

Last edited by Cueball on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Alan B wrote:
So you mean to tell me that if you only had 3 singers...

How many singers does it take to make you a professional?

How many songs do you get to play before you stop being a karaoke host and start being a DJ?

Being a DJ is all about the DJ... it certainly isn't about the singers who want to sing.

Is there a single professional karaoke host out there who caters to the haters? Who the hell has the energy to devote to that?

The only 3 singers scenario is just BS. If it happens at all, it is extremely rare or you won't succeed as a host. All 3 being "bad" singers is just piling more on top.

Alan B wrote:
Would you not be able to perform any of the functions you talk about above if you didn't sing? Would not singing make you any less of a professional host?

Functional performance is not affected in any way whether or not the host sings.

The host's level of professionalism by not singing isn't the point at issue here. Neither I, nor anyone else who has contributed to this thread has implied that a host who doesn't sing isn't a professional. (with the possible exception of my button pusher/organ-grinder reference) :wink:

The point is your statement that a host that sings is NOT a professional.

Are you ceding the point that a host can be a professional and sing at their own show?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
Alan B wrote:
So you mean to tell me that if you only had 3 singers...

How many singers does it take to make you a professional?

How many songs do you get to play before you stop being a karaoke host and start being a DJ?

Being a DJ is all about the DJ... it certainly isn't about the singers who want to sing.

Is there a single professional karaoke host out there who caters to the haters? Who the hell has the energy to devote to that?

The only 3 singers scenario is just BS. If it happens at all, it is extremely rare or you won't succeed as a host. All 3 being "bad" singers is just piling more on top.

Alan B wrote:
Would you not be able to perform any of the functions you talk about above if you didn't sing? Would not singing make you any less of a professional host?

Functional performance is not affected in any way whether or not the host sings.

The host's level of professionalism by not singing isn't the point at issue here. Neither I, nor anyone else who has contributed to this thread has implied that a host who doesn't sing isn't a professional. (with the possible exception of my button pusher/organ-grinder reference) :wink:

The point is your statement that a host that sings is NOT a professional.

Are you ceding the point that a host can be a professional and sing at their own show?

What I am referring to and I believe I said it previously, is that it's not very professional for a host to include themselves into the rotation taking up a spot and time away from the people who came out to sing, especially if it's a sizable rotation. A true professional would make it about their singers, not about themselves. A karaoke singer/host will not. They feel that they have to be part of the show and sing all night along with everybody else and that's NOT very professional.
Anyone can go out and buy karaoke equipment and put on a show, but that doesn't make them a professional. I can go to a medical supply place and buy all the tools needed to perform surgery but that doesn't make me a doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:37 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
So you mean to tell me that if you only had 3 singers, you would not break it up with a little music? I had this conversation with the bar owner at one of my venues and he said to break it up with a little music. Remember, not everybody at the bar likes karaoke. It's one thing if all of your singers were really good making it a pleasure to listen to. But a lot of people hate karaoke because of people that can't sing. They're the screamers, whiners and drunks who can't even hold a tune. So, are you telling me that if this was the case, and you had only 3 singers, and they were really bad, you would actually let them sing continuously?

Although I promote karaoke being fun for everyone, this is where I make an exception. No one wants to listen to some screamin' drunks sing over and over and over all night long. Again, if this was the case for you, Lonnie, are you telling me that you would actually let these 3 sing non stop all night?

Personally, if I was a customer at a karaoke bar and this was going on, I would walk out. There has to come a time to break the rules and do what's best for everyone.
If you don't like karaoke and walk into a karaoke bar and complain about bad singers singing karaoke - then see ya, guess you shouldn't have walked into a karaoke bar to begin with. It's sometimes half (@$%&#!) expected you are going to hear bad singers in a karaoke bar, some nights might be worse than others. And yes I would let them sing, with me being the break. Doesn't happen all that often but when it does - they sing as long as they are putting songs in to sing. If they aren't then I will sing until they do or do like Cue & put up random karaoke songs on auto play and walk around with the mic until someone sings into it. The only exception to that is if my voice isn't up to singing, that is the one exception I will play music until I get singers and again THAT isn't very often.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
What I am referring to and I believe I said it previously, is that it's not very professional for a host to include themselves into the rotation taking up a spot and time away from the people who came out to sing, especially if it's a sizable rotation. A true professional would make it about their singers, not about themselves. A karaoke singer/host will not. They feel that they have to be part of the show and sing all night along with everybody else and that's NOT very professional.
Anyone can go out and buy karaoke equipment and put on a show, but that doesn't make them a professional. I can go to a medical supply place and buy all the tools needed to perform surgery but that doesn't make me a doctor.
I also believe many here have stated they take themselves out of the rotation altogether once they hit 'their' predetermined number. Mine is 5 - once I get 5 I do not sing anymore because of the reasons you stated - it's not about me (again exceptions are special requests or duet help when asked). But that is YOUR opinion that a host isn't professional if they happen to sing in each round. I've seen some very professionally run shows where hosts do sing - it's not MY preference to see a host singing every round no matter the rotation size, but I also won't condemn a show or a kj because of it if all other factors of the show are good nor call them unprofessional.
Are you saying you never sing special requests? Duets that need a partner and they ask you? To me that is very unprofessional not to. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:10 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
To further Mountainkaraoke's comments, your using the bartender in the analogy is false. I have known as bartender or two that occasionally lets a customer buy them a shot or a drink, not getting drunk but on occasion. If that's not participation, I don't know what is. If you are not at demonstrating for a person who is new to the karaoke scene and doesn't know what it is about then in my opinion you are not doing part of your job, and shirking duties is a sign of unprofessionalism in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
Alan B wrote:
I also believe many here have stated they take themselves out of the rotation altogether once they hit 'their' predetermined number. Mine is 5 - once I get 5 I do not sing anymore because of the reasons you stated - it's not about me (again exceptions are special requests or duet help when asked). But that is YOUR opinion that a host isn't professional if they happen to sing in each round. I've seen some very professionally run shows where hosts do sing - it's not MY preference to see a host singing every round no matter the rotation size, but I also won't condemn a show or a kj because of it if all other factors of the show are good nor call them unprofessional.
Are you saying you never sing special requests? Duets that need a partner and they ask you? To me that is very unprofessional not to. :twisted:
Yes, I will sing a duet with someone if requested. I have no problem with that since it's not taking a turn away from anybody.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:32 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

But if someone wants you (not for you to find someone else) to specifically sing a special song for their special day (or whatever reason) you tell them no sorry that would be unprofessional of me??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
But if someone wants you (not for you to find someone else) to specifically sing a special song for their special day (or whatever reason) you tell them no sorry that would be unprofessional of me??

Well, depending on the circumstances, I may consider it. Now I have a question for you...

If a real hot girl came up to you, put her arm around you and said:

Oh Lonnie babes, would you please, please sing a song for me? Your voice turns me on so much. Oh please sing to me, please. I really need to hear your beautiful voice.

Wow, what a proposition. How would you respond? (keep in mind that at this point there are 30 people in the rotation)

Please pick one:

A) Sure baby! I'll do anything to make you happy.
B) Sorry slut. You're no different than anyone else.
C) Only if you'll meet me in the back of the parking lot later.
D) Sorry, I'm just not professional enough to sing.
E) I can't. I'm saving my voice for that guy sitting in the corner.
F) I'll only sing if the song is "B*tch Better Have My Money"
G) OK, but you'll have to wait until my erection goes away.

Yes, such a tough choice. But please, choose wisely!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Smooth is right--he does run a fun overall show (I didn't like the one bar, but that was because of the bar, not his show--it's a lot harder for me to drink if they're only offering beer and wine), and no one seems to have a problem with him singing when he does.

As a singer, I really, truly, and genuinely do not care if a host sings--whether it's just for soundcheck, or once during each rotation. From where I sit (usually at the bar, except for my three minutes on stage each rotation), more people singing is one of the best parts of karaoke.

My hosting pet peeves are when they sing way more than one song during a rotation, when they do too much "patter" and talk too much (because the ones that do are very rarely entertaining in any way shape or form), when they're bad at keeping whatever rotation rule they have in place, when an advertised karaoke night gets turned into a lot of dance music by request, when they look bored or disinterested in what they're doing, and when they start later than the advertised time.

Maybe I'm weird, though. My ideal night is singing three or fewer songs. I know there are some diehards who would love a show where there's only a five person rotation so they can sing as much as they possibly can, but that usually means an empty bar and a boring night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It also bothers me that Smooth's show is the only show of active people here I've been to (I used to go to Jaseoke's live band karaoke since it was just down the road from me).

I need to travel more for reasons that aren't work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:

As a singer, I really, truly, and genuinely do not care if a host sings--

I have two new singers who no longer go to the place that they were going for karaoke. They now come to my show. Reason? Because they told me that they don't like the fact that the host there included himself in the rotation and I don't do that.

Now, if you think that customers don't care, think again. They came out to sing. And they don't want to wait any longer to sing then they have to.

So, maybe I didn't make it clear in my previous posts so let me say it again...

A host should NEVER include themselves in the rotation. The show is about the people, NOT about you.

Hosts that include themselves in the rotation are nothing more than karaoke singers looking for attention and using hosting as a means to accomplish that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

And again, as a singer (as I'm not a host)...

I really and truly do not care if the host sings.

But, to be truthful, I also don't like a lot of "karaoke people." The people who get mad about having to wait their turn, the people who come out to shows and don't spend a dime in a bar, the people who get snippy and upset if someone shows up at a bar and does better than they do (this has never actually happened to *me* personally, as I am a terrible singer, but I've seen it).

Don't get me wrong--I'd probably enjoy your show, too, depending on the other factors. A karaoke night is not just about the host, or the sound, or the rules of engagement. It's the bar, it's the crowd--a big combination of things. I can have fun in an old man karaoke bar. I can have fun in a party atmosphere karaoke bar. I can't really have fun at a too family-oriented establishment, because the sound of children singing is like having ice picks dug into my ear canals. I don't really dig on private room karaoke spots unless it's the right (and a large enough) group of people. I don't do Singer's Showcase because online karaoke just doesn't feel like karaoke to me.

One of my favorite karaoke hosts sings in just about every rotation. He's got a hell of a voice, and it's nice to hear someone who can sing at this middle-of-nowhere bar. A retired host whom I adored sang every rotation, and he was terrible--and that in and of itself was charming, too, and definitely helped get people who might otherwise have feared being booed by the bar up to the mic to sing. The thing they had in common, though, is that had fun shows at fun bars with fun people.

But that's just me. I'm just one person who likes karaoke a little too much. The folks who came to your shows because they didn't like the host at the other place singing--they're just two people who probably like karaoke a little too much. The problem with my statement, and yours, is that it's simply anecdotal evidence. It's not actual data.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
And again, as a singer (as I'm not a host)...

But, to be truthful, I also don't like a lot of "karaoke people." The people who get mad about having to wait their turn, the people who come out to shows and don't spend a dime in a bar, the people who get snippy and upset if someone shows up at a bar and does better than they do (this has never actually happened to *me* personally, as I am a terrible singer, but I've seen it).

With that, I totally agree. I think it takes a lot of balls to go to a bar for the entertainment (in this case karaoke) and don't spend a penny on food or drinks. Drinking water or soda all night doesn't cut it.

Bars rely on the sales of food and drinks to cover the costs of the entertainment. Without that, there won't be any entertainment. People just don't get it. And it's the one thing I despise the most.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I think that a true professional karaoke host knows, for those who sing, knows when to pull themselves out of the rotation or for those who use DJ music when and when not to play DJ music. Where I am, the bars that run late shows usually have only a few singers to start out with and the larger crowd doesn't start coming in until almost midway through the show. Most of the larger crowd are usually restaurant workers that work at places that shut down around 9:30 or ten. Very little bar hoppers in the crowd. At happy hour shows it's a bit different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Sometimes the person drinking soda all night might actually save the bar money in legal costs because they are not the ones who are going to be held responsible for the death of a person from an accident caused by drunk driving. Where I am, the family of the person who is killed by a drunk driver can sue the last bar that they went to for wrongful death. As for water drinkers, I agree that they are a plague, although I have only witnessed maybe one water drinker and that wasn't at one of my shows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Sometimes the person drinking soda all night might actually save the bar money in legal costs because they are not the ones who are going to be held responsible for the death of a person from an accident caused by drunk driving. Where I am, the family of the person who is killed by a drunk driver can sue the last bar that they went to for wrongful death. As for water drinkers, I agree that they are a plague, although I have only witnessed maybe one water drinker and that wasn't at one of my shows.

They're called freeloaders. I would be embarrassed to go to a bar for the entertainment and not order anything. I don't need or want these singers at my shows. They're only taking up space and not contributing anything to support the bar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Sometimes the person drinking soda all night might actually save the bar money in legal costs because they are not the ones who are going to be held responsible for the death of a person from an accident caused by drunk driving.
Danny, That is ridiculous. Even though it is possible it is still pretty far fetched. I have been going to karaoke several nights a week for more than 25 years and I have never heard of someone being killed by an over drinking karaoke singer. I do live in an older, probably more responsible community, but most of the folks I see young or old don't over consume at karaoke.

I would bet a lot has to do with the fact that there are no drink specials on those evenings, because karaoke is the draw, not the cheap booze. Unfortunately some are water drinkers too!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:55 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:

As far as I see it, if the soda drinker is buying soda, they're a customer. I'm pretty sure the markup on soda might be higher than the markup on draft beer.

I mean, if they are there as a Designated Driver, that means they are there with other people who are spending money.

The worst was the people at the one bar out here who snuck in their own soda into a bar and paid for nothing whatsoever and took up six spots in a rotation. The host didn't want to turn "customers" away, so I was just a jerk to them until they felt unwelcome.

(It wasn't a poverty situation. They were just jerky, awful people.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:57 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
Lonman wrote:

Well, depending on the circumstances, I may consider it. Now I have a question for you...

If a real hot girl came up to you, put her arm around you and said:

Oh Lonnie babes, would you please, please sing a song for me? Your voice turns me on so much. Oh please sing to me, please. I really need to hear your beautiful voice.

Wow, what a proposition. How would you respond? (keep in mind that at this point there are 30 people in the rotation)

Please pick one:

A) Sure baby! I'll do anything to make you happy.
B) Sorry slut. You're no different than anyone else.
C) Only if you'll meet me in the back of the parking lot later.
D) Sorry, I'm just not professional enough to sing.
E) I can't. I'm saving my voice for that guy sitting in the corner.
F) I'll only sing if the song is "B*tch Better Have My Money"
G) OK, but you'll have to wait until my erection goes away.

Yes, such a tough choice. But please, choose wisely!
Umm, that is not what I was asking. In this situation I would tell her H) "IF" I get a chance I might but right now I have too many singers and leave it at that.
What i'm asking if you would sing a request for some "special occasion" (ie anniversary, birthday, graduation, divorce, etc) and the person wants you to specifically sing it - not some drunk flirtation chick.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next