KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I Feel Like it Bombed -- Is this normal? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Alan B wrote:
I run a class act and have a great reputation in the area. I have gained a great following and many new customers that have come from other shows where the host sang. They don't like it or want it or will tolerate it. So they now travel a further distance to come to my shows.

I have no problem with karaoke hosts singing, just do it at someone elses show or find a new line of work since obviously you have no idea of what karaoke is really about.

That's fine and dandy for YOU! Don't admonish other KJs for singing (within reason) in their own Rotation. Most KJs that I personally know do this (and have been doing this for years), and they still have successful shows. If YOU don't like it, then DON'T attend their shows. PERIOD!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
cueball wrote:
Alan B wrote:
I run a class act and have a great reputation in the area. I have gained a great following and many new customers that have come from other shows where the host sang. They don't like it or want it or will tolerate it. So they now travel a further distance to come to my shows.

I have no problem with karaoke hosts singing, just do it at someone elses show or find a new line of work since obviously you have no idea of what karaoke is really about.

That's fine and dandy for YOU! Don't admonish other KJs for singing (within reason) in their own Rotation. Most KJs that I personally know do this (and have been doing this for years), and they still have successful shows. If YOU don't like it, then DON'T attend their shows. PERIOD!

Thank you cueball. Yes, there are many that don't agree with my philosophy but that's alright. Most of us won't ever see eye to eye whether we're talking about the rotation, singing, software, speakers, mixers, whatever!

Now, let me ask you a question my friend. There's a show that I've gone to that's hosted by two people. They both run this karaoke business and they both include themselves into the rotation. Whether there's 3 people or 30 people.

Do you think that's right? They're taking up 2 spots and time away from their singers! Like I said, do you think this is OK? What if there were 3 partners in this business and all three of them included themselves into the rotation. Would you have a problem with that?

Like I said, we all have our way of doing things but personally, I think it's in poor taste to make yourself part of the show with your singers. There is a difference between these two little words: Hosting and Singing. Does anyone know the difference?

OK, let's see. It's a host's job to run the show. He/she is responsible for orchestrating and coordinating the flow of the evening including running a fair rotation and making sure that everyone sounds good. He/she is hired by the bar to provide a service to it's customers in which compensation is provided. You were NOT hired as a singer. You were hired as a HOST and as such, you should act like one.

Now, does anybody know the definition of a singer? Webster's Dictionary defines it as "one who sings". Those would be your customers who came in for karaoke. Please don't mix up the two. Do your job as a HOST in which you were hired to do. And leave the SINGING to the people who came out to sing. Remember, it's not about you. It's about them. And like I said, If you want to sing so badly, go to someone else's show on your day off.

-----On A Side Note-----

A karaoke host is hired to perform a service. I don't know of any employees of any other service industries that include themselves with the people they serve. For example:

Would you expect your waitress to sit with you and join you for dinner? Or your bartender to drink along with the customers he's serving? Or the ticket agent who sold you your movie ticket to come in and watch the movie with you. The list goes on and on.

So, what makes you think it's OK for a karaoke host to do the same?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:29 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
I'm picturing a house party, a party in someone's home, where the host refuses to drink with their guests, eat with their guests, join in the party games, converse, fraternize, or doing anything other than play butler and wait on people all night.

If I had a friend like that, I'd decline going to any party they threw. Why would anyone go to a party run by someone so BORING?

We're called HOSTS for a reason. You can be a karaoke DJ, going through all the mechanics of the job, without actually being a HOST. A HOST actively participates in the evening's entertainment, they lead by example, or they are no HOST at all. And if the activity everyone's gathered for is singing, then you can not be a proper HOST without singing. It's a fundamental responsibility. If you don't sing at all, you are not doing your job.

And I'd hate your party.

Last edited by Elementary Penguin on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Elementary Penguin wrote:
And if the activity everyone's gathered for is singing, then you can not be a proper HOST without singing. It's a fundamental responsibility. If you don't sing at all, you are not doing your job.

Really?? Wow, what a misguided soul. You just keep telling yourself that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
Now, does anybody know the definition of a singer? Webster's Dictionary defines it as "one who sings". Those would be your customers who came in for karaoke. Please don't mix up the two. Do your job as a HOST in which you were hired to do. And leave the SINGING to the people who came out to sing. Remember, it's not about you. It's about them. And like I said, If you want to sing so badly, go to someone else's show on your day off.

KJs were hired to offer a service. Part of that service may include the Host being part of that entertainment (in the manner of how they run their Rotation).

Same site that you used... Definition of the word HOST:
Quote:
host
noun
Definition of HOST
1. 1a : one that receives or entertains guests socially, commercially, or officially were greeted at the door by our host

Notice how the definition does also include entertaining. It does not say how.

Alan B wrote:
-----On A Side Note-----

A karaoke host is hired to perform a service.

Again, there is no specific set of rules that defines how a KJ is offering his/her/their services.

Alan B wrote:
Now, let me ask you a question my friend. There's a show that I've gone to that's hosted by two people. They both run this karaoke business and they both include themselves into the rotation. Whether there's 3 people or 30 people.

Do you think that's right? They're taking up 2 spots and time away from their singers! Like I said, do you think this is OK? What if there were 3 partners in this business and all three of them included themselves into the rotation. Would you have a problem with that?

In response to that hypothesis, I have been to a show that is run by 2 people. They do exactly what you just described.... I went twice, and saw how they operated, and will NEVER attend their shows again.

The way their show is run, is two-fers ALL NIGHT. EVERYONE sings 2 songs in a row every rotation. These 2 co=hosts start the show by each singing 2 songs each, and then, they sing a Duet right after. That's close to 30 minutes that they have just hogged to themselves. Then they call up the people in turn. They have a large following (strangely enough), and usually have 20 to 30 singers at each of their shows. If you manage to make it into the 2nd rotation, you were lucky.
cueball wrote:
If YOU don't like it, then DON'T attend their shows. PERIOD!
And that's EXACTLY what I choose to do... NOT ATTEND their show anymore. Apparently, it has NOT MADE A DIFFERENCE, as they are still every bit as popular now as 10 years ago (when I first went to their show)... AND, they still operate that same way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I sing at my shows. My singers have no problem with that. As a matter of fact, I get requests to sing various songs, throughout the night. I, also get asked to harmonize with people singing. Me, and three of my regulars, do Drift Away, quite often. It becomes a four part harmony, of sorts. It is on one of their turns. I pull myself out of my own turn, after round 2, at my Wednesday show, usually. But if someone wants me to help them, or harmonize with them, I am right there. I have NEVER had a problem with a host singing at their turn. I have been SINGING Karaoke since 1994. Almost EVERY show I have frequented, the host sang. Never had a problem with it. Alan B, I think you are wrong for berating those of us that DO sing. I think you should do what works for you, and let us do what works for us. Nobody appointed you the KJ Judge of the Country.
I have successful shows, ever though I sing. Ask Noshamekaraoke. He has been to my shows, a few times.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:33 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
If the host sings once per rotation, then the whole thing is so self-regulated is it really worth debating?

By self-regulating I mean:

If it's a 2 rotation night, the host only sings ONE song for their own pleasure, above and beyond a song done for sound-check (which most if not all of us accept as a "necessary evil").

If it's a 3 rotation night, the host has done 2 songs for their own sake. And if it's a 4 or more rotation night, well nobody is going to care on a slow night anyway; the host was probably forced to sing to keep it moving.

I sing every rotation at my shows except the last, as I'd rather give a late-comer a shot or a regular an extra encore.

So by singing "every" rotation, I normally get a whopping ONE voluntary song most nights. Go ahead, call me a mic hog!

It's self-regulating I tell ya!
Now who wants pie?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Elementary Penguin wrote:
If the host sings once per rotation, then the whole thing is so self-regulated is it really worth debating?

By self-regulating I mean:

If it's a 2 rotation night, the host only sings ONE song for their own pleasure, above and beyond a song done for sound-check (which most if not all of us accept as a "necessary evil").

If it's a 3 rotation night, the host has done 2 songs for their own sake. And if it's a 4 or more rotation night, well nobody is going to care on a slow night anyway; the host was probably forced to sing to keep it moving.

I sing every rotation at my shows except the last, as I'd rather give a late-comer a shot or a regular an extra encore.

So by singing "every" rotation, I normally get a whopping ONE voluntary song most nights. Go ahead, call me a mic hog!

It's self-regulating I tell ya!
Now who wants pie?

Damn mic hog!! LMAO!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
If I can run a show without singing - then I do. I do not host to sing, I host to make sure others sing. If I have to sing to break up the shortness of a rotation (rare) then I will fill in. I will sing if I have a request (again rare) or to help out a duet. I do not host to sing. I have never believed in the host needing to sing to 'start out the next round', you can just as easily say over the mic - we are starting out the next round and call up the first singer of the round.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Enter the KJ's who will try to justify singing the first song and/or including themselves in the rotation. One person even went as far as to say that "you are not a good host unless you sing". Wow, that's some crazy sh*t.

Well, I run a high energy show, mingle with and motivate the crowd and make it fun for everyone. I usually get an average of 30 singers while all of the other bars in the area doing karaoke get around 5 or 6. And it's all done without me singing and including myself in the rotation.

I make it about my singers, not about me. I want my singers to sing as much as possible, not take time away from them by taking up a spot in the rotation.

Like I said, which many of you don't get; we're hired by the bar to act as a host, not a singer.

So, try to justify it all you want but it's still wrong and not what you're there for. I'm still waiting for someone to answer my last question in my lengthy post above.

I have come to the realization that some of you are nothing more than karaoke singers trying to turn a buck while enjoying your hobby. You have demonstrated that it's all about you and your self centered egotistical needs. Why don't you act like a professional instead of a bunch of amateurs? Me, me, me. Sheesh!

Well, you guys do what you have to do and I'll keep putting my singers first and make sure they get to sing as much as possible without "stealing" any time away from them.

_____________ Side Note _____________

Any professional KJ who truly cares about their singers would never include themselves in the rotation. They would want them to sing as much as possible and would not want to rob them of valuable time by taking up a spot in the rotation. They would make it all about them, the very people who support the bar week after week and keep you in business.

I don't wan't to hear any more justifications. A lot of you have already shown your true colors. Your way of thinking clearly indicates it's about you, not your singers. And that's fine, but just don't call yourself a professional because with that mentality you never were one and never will be one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
To the OP: You didn't bomb.... normal issues arise throughout the show... maintain your integrity, admit when you make a mistake and do your best to accommodate... that's all that can be expected.

TO THE ARROGANT, SANCTIMONIOUS, JUDGMENTAL, AND INSULTING INDIVIDUAL...

3000+ shows and I have sang at 99.9% of them. I always sing the first song and the real reason is that I like to sing (as well as the reason that that unprofessional Lonman mentioned - others not wanting to be first). I sang 3 songs (the first, another an hour into the show and then a request around midnight) tonight during the course of a 5 hour show with 34 other singers total.

YOUR OPINION IS NOT A FACT. (no matter how you'd like that to be true)

My experience has taught me that many singers appreciate a host who can sing and is willing to put themselves out there. I will sing a request whenever I can. I will partner with a singer who wants to do a duet. I will back up a singer if they ask. I will prompt a singer by singing with them when/if they lose track. I will sing certain songs to honor an event or special occasion when I feel it is appropriate (weddings, birthdays, etc...). I always gauge how much or how little I may sing against the evening's scenario, like the many factors that others have mentioned.

The venue hired me to do one thing: Provide entertainment to their customers resulting in profit from the sales of food & beverage during the show.

THEY DON'T HAVE A SAY IN HOW I DO THAT.

I don't instruct them on how to run their business or how the staff perform their jobs.

You want to call me unprofessional... you can stick it where the sun don't shine.

I've still got my original gig that I started almost 13 years ago. We're doing record sales numbers this summer on Fridays (again). Tonight's (Monday) gig is ongoing for more than 5 years now. My Wednesdays are going on 6 years with this owner and 3+ with the previous owner. My Sunday gig is with the 3rd owner in 3 years, but it is still their most profitable night of the week. My other two gigs are humming along nicely as they are new this year and not only do I sing at them... several of the employees sing as well at both shows.

Something that one must realize is that there is a benefit to participating in the show as a singer... it's called "inclusion". It refers to everyone. I have been told many times, by many different people that they like the feeling of being a part of the group that is there to enjoy the karaoke show.

Song counters and divas and generally negative, problematic people will have a much better time if they remember that the whole point of attending a karaoke show is to enjoy yourself and others without judgment and resentment.

I'm a single-op who travels close to 2000 miles a month and has had 6-7 weekly shows for the last 2.5 years (averaging 5 per week over the last decade). My fee structure means that my income increases with the success of the show(s). The only competition in my area has either faded away or called me to take over their show.

I don't need some close-minded, condescending joker to determine whether or not I am a professional. The success of my shows and the level of compensation do that just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
_____________ Side Note _____________

Any professional KJ who truly cares about their singers would never include themselves in the rotation. They would want them to sing as much as possible and would not want to rob them of valuable time by taking up a spot in the rotation. They would make it all about them, the very people who support the bar week after week and keep you in business.

I don't wan't to hear any more justifications. A lot of you have already shown your true colors. Your way of thinking clearly indicates it's about you, not your singers. And that's fine, but just don't call yourself a professional because with that mentality you never were one and never will be one.

You left out IMO
.. because that's all this is.. YOUR OPINION!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I would get upset if a two team hosting couple sang three songs out of the rotation. If they want to do a duet together use one of their solo turns, I won't begrudge them a song in the rotation. I still think that after a certain amount of singers, any professional host will pull them out of the rotation so the singers get more chance to sing. I have a short memory problem, which is one of the reasons why I adopted a mobile kiosk into my system so I can get the requests that I get into the player before I forget due to multiple people stopping me on the way back to the equipment to start the next song, so sometimes I forget to check and switch the sound card selection on Breakaway from the onboard sound card to my external. I would rather have to find this out on my song than on the first customer singer's turn. If I have 8 singers in the rotation before I do my sound check then I pull myself out of the rotation after the sound check and only sing to assist the customers if they ask for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I knew people would try to justify their singing even though I asked you not to. So predictable. I'm also waiting for someone to answer question a couple of posts above. But that's OK, it would just be more gibberish.

OK, I'm done with this. I've said all I'm going to say. You don't get it and will never get it. But I will always continue to put my customers first including not robbing them of precious singing time by taking up a spot in the rotation which many of you feel it's OK to do. And for what it's worth, I can sing. I will sing a duet with someone if requested since it's not taking anything away from their turn. But I will not include myself to be part of the show. I'm not there to sing, I'm there to host.

Good bye you karaoke singers. I wish I could call you professionals but you've proven otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Ok, let's just say that you only have four singers to start the night, you mean to tell me that you would just let those singer sing through several rotations before you get more singers and drive away the nonsingers because they are sick and tired of hearing from the same four singers for say 5 rotations. Let's add that the singers are far from the best singers you get. Sorry but the only thing that I really consider stealing singing time for the customer is the "DJ" breaks when the singers all know that they have more requests to get to. That is my opinion and I consider any host that takes those DJ breaks other than lack of singers and just promotes their show as karaoke to be providing false advertising. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
Alan, WHY so grumpy?

SO WHAT if others have a different way of making their shows successful and contrary to how you run your successful show?

I think instead of just OPINIONS (which every single person has and it varies) why not just ask the general question "WHY DO KARAOKE HOSTS SING?"

In my limited 19 years as a host i can only surmise the reasons other host sing;

-need/want/desire the attention of others

-think it's part of the job "leading the audience"

-believe that they're entertaining the crowd

-believe they need to kick off their show

-interrupt the flow of BAD-sounding singers

-break up the monotony of ballad-hell with an upbeat interactive song

-waste time so their show is over quicker and they get paid sooner

-try to impress the opposite sex

-they like to sing and want feedback on their attempt

-they want to try out a new song before anyone else gets to

-they believe they're great singers (smh)- I've only met ONE GREAT ONE.

...i'm sure there's more but that's off the top of my head.
I've certainly been to ALL kinds of shows and it does piss-me-off when other kjs sing in EVERY ROTATION. But if they start their show with a fun upbeat song and there's not a lot of other CUSTOMER singers waiting then it's okay by me.

The host that sing multiple DUETS (by encouraging others to sing duets with them and not just by random requests) i'd like to shove their mic stand up their arse.

I LOVE to sing and do it everywhere...just usually not at my own shows UNLESS it's very slow at the beginning or no one else wants to kick off the show.

In the end it's all about having fun, being fair, providing an outlet, and getting paid ...isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

johnreynolds wrote:
I think instead of just OPINIONS (which every single person has and it varies) why not just ask the general question "WHY DO KARAOKE HOSTS SING?"

Now yours, is the only sensible response I've read. You've stated a lot of good reasons why KJ's sing. I believe that those who do, are just looking for attention. They are not professional karaoke hosts. They're just karaoke singers trying to play DJ or KJ at the expense of their singers. They think that since this is my show and my equipment, I could sing if I want to. Wrong.

I'll even go as far as accepting singing the first song to start things off, but it's being in every rotation that I have a problem with.

And to Danny, if I only have 3 or 4 singers I would break it up with some dance music in between. For example, 1 rotation and then 2 or 3 songs and then start a new rotation. But I will not sing. Dance music works great. Gives the singers a break as well as the customers not have to listen to the same ones over and over every 15 minutes.

I'll say it again, anyone who includes themselves in the rotation other than singing the first song, is making it about them, not their singers. Do you really think that with a rotation of 20+ singers that they want to wait any longer than they have to? Well, you including yourself in the rotation is contributing to that. Anyone who doesn't get it is just self-centered or just doesn't care about their customers in which case I say find another line of work.

Last edited by Alan B on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
Alan B, I think you are wrong for berating those of us that DO sing.

I'm not berating anybody. After all, it's your show and you can do what you want. I just don't think it's proper for a host to take a spot in the rotation taking valuable time away from their singers. There is no reason for that whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
johnreynolds wrote:

Now yours, is the only sensible response I've read. You've stated a lot of good reasons why KJ's sing. I believe that those who do, are just looking for attention. They are not professional karaoke hosts. They're just karaoke singers trying to play DJ or KJ at the expense of their singers. They think that since this is my show and my equipment, I could sing if I want to. Wrong.

I'll even go as far as accepting singing the first song to start things off, but it's being in every rotation that I have a problem with.

And to Danny, if I only have 3 or 4 singers I would break it up with some dance music in between. For example, 1 rotation and then 2 or 3 songs and then start a new rotation. But I will not sing. Dance music works great. Gives the singers a break as well as the customers not have to listen to the same ones over and over every 15 minutes.

I'll say it again, anyone who includes themselves in the rotation other than singing the first song, is making it about them, not their singers. Do you really think that with a rotation of 20+ singers that they want to wait any longer than they have to? Well, you including yourself in the rotation is contributing to that. Anyone who doesn't get it is just self-centered or just doesn't care about their customers in which case I say find another line of work.

Problem with that is then I would be providing false advertising because my promotional materials say Karaoke Night not Karaoke DJ night. I have never claimed to be anything other than a karaoke provider. I view DJ music as wasting my singer's time that they get for singing. I only play regular music if I have absolutely no song requests in which for me is very rare. I usually do straight traditional karaoke. Remember, I stated that once I hit the 8 active singers mark, the only way that I will be up is if a singer needs support and asks me to join in or needs a duet partner because someone doesn't want to give up their solo spot to do a duet, which is actually quite rare. I have one singer who likes to have me sing I'd do anything for love with her but beyond that, I can't remember singing any duets in months. I also can't remember the last time I sang more than 2 songs at my shows.

Last edited by DannyG2006 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:00 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Same here, I run a karaoke show, not a hybrid karaoke/dj show.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next